I'd really appreciate the Western Swing one. I've got some Spade Cooley and Bob Willis, but that's about it. Always wanted to hear some more. Let me know if you need my address. And, let me know if I can send anything back your way.

2 new comps here

My 2 latest comps were sent to a few regulars here last week... a few more will go out this week. Anyone else feel free to ask (4jacksonATcomcastDOTnet) and I'll sendya a couple. I usually offer em up to anyone who's interested, but sometimes it's buried at the bottom of some older thread... with this new layout, you can't SEE those sub-threads anymore (yes, even in Hybrid-view), so I'll post this up here.

V-10 is a mix of power-pop (melodic rock) tunes from the year '97. Although most of my comps are (intentionally) of obscure bands, this is a bit more mainstream (well known). I have a whole slew of other 90's-era comps planned, so this was as good a place to start as any. I eliminated the hard-rock, folk-rolk, jazz-rock etc styled bands on this one.... simply because there'd be too many cuts to choose from. (same with the year-thing). As it turned out, it may have been better to mix some harder rock into it (for more variety). But... my intent is usually just to bring a few "new" things to light, and I'll still wager few have heard ALL the artists here.

BTW.... ironic & sad note: there's an Elliott Smith cut on this, but I burned this comp a few weeks before he committed suicide. (He also had a cut on my Vol-3 comp (my very first comp) last year... that comp was purposely made after the death of John Entwistle last summer... kinda eerie, in retrospect). But... listening to his lyrics on this latest comp is especially sad and ironic, considering his fate.... and more than kinda eerie.

V-11 is a "roots rock" mix that centers around early western swing, a style most are only somewhat familiar with. It's a style I discovered as a kid and ended up collecting. Bear in mind it's difficult to choose just a few dozen cuts that represent a whole genre... imagine doing that with Rock & Roll (1955-1990!), so it's a broad overview; nothing more intended. I have a short page that describes the background for it in more detail... and where I throw out my biased view that these bands are the true grandaddies of Rock & Roll. You may agree, or think I'm full of it... the truth is probably somewhere in-between.

If you appreciate roots-rock, blues, jazz, country, or just melodic pop songs, you should find a tune or 2 of interest in there. At the least, it should shed some light on this dimly lit corner of the R&R pyramid (for music history buffs). If it doesn't get yer knees a tappin' you probably don't have any rhythm in yer soul. Anyway, the music's better than my rambling. Of course, when it comes to music, taste is in the eye of the beholder. Rock on.

dld
    Forum Regular

Jack, don't know if I'm on your list

but I'd like that '97 Melodic rock comp fer sure. I just scored some Bob Wills and Asleep At The Wheel so I'd take a chance on the Western Swing comp as well. My father, R.I.P., loved Wills. He actually turned me onto thim twenty years ago. If you'd like to see a good movie that at its heart, is worshipful of Western Swing, go rent Baja Oklahoma (and or read the book). lotsa Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Billy Vera, Patsy Cline, and reverential references to Wills and his Lightcrust Doughboys. You even get to see hear Leslie Anne Warren sing......
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Thank you Jackson

Got all three discs today. I can't wait to give em a spin. Vol. 11 is the first comp I've ever rec'd on one of the 45 look-a-like cdrs. Very cool touch to this swinging comp.

Thanks for sharing.

JD

ps - Just checked the Lady Vols schedule - Feb 5, 2004 - showdown with UConn in Thompson Bowling Arena.

I want that Vol. 11 real bad. Not to say I wouldn't also like to take a listen to Vol. 10. I only have one self-produced comp, so that's all I can offer in return. It's an Americana/alt-country affair called "No Remedy". You'll have to ask someone else whether it's really worth hearing, but I think it is. I'll e-mail you my vitals.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Whooptee
    I want that Vol. 11 real bad. Not to say I wouldn't also like to take a listen to Vol. 10. I only have one self-produced comp, so that's all I can offer in return. It's an Americana/alt-country affair called "No Remedy". You'll have to ask someone else whether it's really worth hearing, but I think it is. I'll e-mail you my vitals.

Thanks,
    John
    No Remedy is MORE than worth hearing!!!!!!!! John, get to work and send out some more kewl stuff!!!!!!
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

RE: Wills, Cooley & Orange

Bob Wills is generally accepted as the big dog in W. Swing music.... sorta like the Rolling Stones are to R&R. But Milton Brown probably deserves more recognition... the "problem" is that he died in 36.... where Wills continued making music for DECADES. I have more M. Brown cuts on the comp than any other... makes you wonder what we missed by his death. Imagine if the Beatles had died in a plane crash in 64 (like Buddy Holly).

I actually think a lot of Wills stuff is pretty vanilla... (he put out a ton of material over the years... just like the Stones did). There are some recordings of his I wanted to hear but couldn't get a hold of (there are a LOT!) However the 2 cuts I included are one's you'd never guess were him. One's an early 30's jazzy cut, and the other a slow bluesy ballad... both very different from most of his popular 50's-era more country sounding stuff.

Spade Cooley is what you could call "progressive" (hehehe) W. Swing.... he added some new elements to the musical mix (orchestra) and extended the sound. One cut I used has a great Tex Williams vocal, and another is a big-band type uptempo number. Interesting story about his life (got life for murdering his wife... was pardoned... then died right before he got released).

I'd never heard of that movie... thanks for the tip. Leslie Anne Warren was always a fave of mine (agree she's not a singer... but who cares, right?)

Jeff... the Lady Vols gave UConn all it could handle at the Hartford Civic Center last year. It took a 60-ft shot by Diana, and a super-comeback at the end, and then again in OT by Diana for UConn to prevail. In the National Championship, we were a bit more seasoned. We've lost NO players (first NCAA winner w/no seniors), and have Nicole Wolff back (from injury)... plus Diana is healthy (she was only 80% with back & foot problems all last year). UConn by 5!

TN just got what is (on paper) the best HS recruiting class ever.... 6 great players. I guess all those other people who bitc_ & moan about the "rich getting richer" will have to suck it up for a while longer. UConn's first big test will be vs Duke Jan-3. If Diana stays healthy (& center Jessica Moore too), we'll be hard to beat (NC)... otherwise all bets are off.

BTW, last week Sports Illustrated had 2 nice articles inside on UConn (Okafer, Diana, and Geno). A good read about 2 kids & a coach with VERY interesting backgrounds.

Thread Information