Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
  1. #1
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243

    Who makes a good camera?

    Hey gang, How's it going?

    I am hoping that you can help me pick out a camera. I am a total beginner so I'm looking for something small to point and shoot and still get good pics. There are a few models that I'm looking at. Do you know much about these? Is there something else I should take a peak at in this range? Looking to spend $300 - 400 unless a lot more can be had for very little extra. It needs to be very small or I just won't bother to carry it. It's gotta almost take the pictures for me or they won't come out clear. I like zoom but not digi-zoom. Here are the one's I've been peaking at:

    Olympus Stylus 1000 10 megapix seems like overkill. Stabilization is a program that changes shutter speeds & helps correct it later. Only 3x zoom
    Olympus Stylus 750 7.1 meg seems like plenty. A little fuzzy on the Stabilization on this one. 5x zoom...
    Canon Powershot SD800 7.1 meg again. Stabilization,
    Canon Powershot SD900 10 meg!, no stabilization?

    Does anybody know how to help a complete nub? Are any of these good? Are any of them lemons? Remember to keep it simple for me.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  2. #2
    Da Dragonball Kid L.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Posted in da cut
    Posts
    3,577
    GM you should get a camera made by umm........dang what's the name. Anyways, for only $7000, this camera comes with everything you need. Very sleek and won't clutter your counters. Compared to the big bulky cameras out there, this stylish little camera should blend right in. Oh yeah the company is called BOSE






    O I kill me. I'm in the market for a new camera myself and we're in the same boat, I don't know to look for. I plan on doing a little research first. But $300 sounds like a good price point.

  3. #3
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    GM you should get a camera made by umm........dang what's the name. Anyways, for only $7000, this camera comes with everything you need. Very sleek and won't clutter your counters. Compared to the big bulky cameras out there, this stylish little camera should blend right in. Oh yeah the company is called BOSE






    O I kill me. I'm in the market for a new camera myself and we're in the same boat, I don't know to look for. I plan on doing a little research first. But $300 sounds like a good price point.
    Bose makes the best everything!

    I have found a little help at this site. http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM
    There's a section where you can put in all the things that are important to you and then it gives suggestions. Also a forum to read and ask questions. But I trust the people here. And I know there are a few camera buffs among us.

    Edit: I went to post pics of my system the other day and they all came out like crap. Still using my camcorder to take pics with. It's not working out so well.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  4. #4
    If you can't run-walk. Bernd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,602
    Hi Mike,

    I used both makes. Olympus and now a Canon. Both are safe bets. But I am frankly amazed that a man of your talents is going for something simple.

    Both are good. It's the lens that makes it. I loved my Olympus and have only recently treated myself to a top of the line Canon. I am still wrestling with it. Good luck with the camera hunt.
    Hope all is well with you and yours.

    Peace

    Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    GMichael, sorry no advice since my knowledge and expertise is in the Digital SLR arena. I love my Canon 10D and have asked Santa for the 5D. I am prepared to be disappointed. I have already received so much this year. Anyway do not forget the test reports on our sister site photographyreview.com. Scroll down to the bottom and click on and there is a lot of reviews by users of the cameras you might be interested in buying.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 12-01-2006 at 04:57 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  6. #6
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nueva Jork
    Posts
    2,148

    Sorry GM...

    ...I'm still using my Penatx ME Super with various lenses...haven't made the jump to digital yet...

    And anywho, we have very few laser-totin' mechanical lizards around here, just me and the missus and the dog...

    A buddy of mine has shown me some good pictures he has taken with his digital, from close-ups to sunsets...

    jimHJJ(...I'll try to get some info...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

    "Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

    "The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

    "We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

    If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

  7. #7
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    If you want a digital SLR I can offer no help. If you want just a plain digital point and shoot, I can help. I bought a new camera last summer. After much research and discussion with the good folks in my local camera shop (I highly recommend a camera store over a big box store if you're looking for good advice), I ended up with a Panasonic TZ1 ($429 CDN) and am loving it!

    We've been shopping for a camera for my mom for Xmas, and have decided on a Panasonic for her also. I forget the model number...LZ5 or something like that...but it's about $299 CDN. The reason that we chose Panasonic for mom was for the image stabilizer. No other make, at that price point, included this feature.

    The higher end Panasonics have Leica lens's (mine has it, mom's doesn't).

    Whatever you get, make sure that your camera includes an image stabilizer. This feature is amazing, expecially when you are using the zoom.

    Here's an old thread that might help... off topic -- digital camera purchase

  8. #8
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Hi Mike,

    I used both makes. Olympus and now a Canon. Both are safe bets. But I am frankly amazed that a man of your talents is going for something simple. Bernd
    HAHAHAHA When you look up the word simple in the dictionary it has my picture underneath it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Both are good. It's the lens that makes it. I loved my Olympus and have only recently treated myself to a top of the line Canon. I am still wrestling with it. Good luck with the camera hunt.
    Hope all is well with you and yours.

    Peace

    Bernd
    Thanks, it's a fun hunt so far.
    Mine are doing well. It's a fun time of life. Hopes you & yours are doing just as well or better.

    The B.O.T. is gone! Temps starting near 60 today going down into the 20's this weekend. Snow sleet and ice on the way. It's going to start to look a lot like Christmas.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  9. #9
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    GMichael, sorry no advice since my knowledge and expertise is in the Digital SLR arena. I love my Canon 10D and have asked Santa for the 5D. I am prepared to be disappointed. I have already received so much this year. Anyway do not forget the test reports on our sister site photography.com. Scroll down to the bottom and click on and there is a lot of reviews by users of the cameras you might be interested in buying.
    Those are very nice. I like the Hassleblads. But who's got $30k to spend on a camera?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  10. #10
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    If you want a digital SLR I can offer no help. If you want just a plain digital point and shoot, I can help. I bought a new camera last summer. After much research and discussion with the good folks in my local camera shop (I highly recommend a camera store over a big box store if you're looking for good advice), I ended up with a Panasonic TZ1 ($429 CDN) and am loving it!

    We've been shopping for a camera for my mom for Xmas, and have decided on a Panasonic for her also. I forget the model number...LZ5 or something like that...but it's about $299 CDN. The reason that we chose Panasonic for mom was for the image stabilizer. No other make, at that price point, included this feature.

    The higher end Panasonics have Leica lens's (mine has it, mom's doesn't).

    Whatever you get, make sure that your camera includes an image stabilizer. This feature is amazing, expecially when you are using the zoom.

    Here's an old thread that might help... off topic -- digital camera purchase
    Panasonic huh? Are theirs good? Each time I use that program to find a camera, I have left off Panasonic as a brand to look at. And each time it comes back with a half dozen Panasonics that it thinks I would like. How is it to use? Does it take nice (read easy & clear) pics?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  11. #11
    guitar mongoose icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    307
    I bought a Pentax optio A10 8.0 megapixel camera. and i have been very dissastisfied, a few weeks ago my screen went white and Pentax wants to charge $75 just to get my camera checked out, not even to get it fixed!!! i have only had it for about 5 months too
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

  12. #12
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    I covet this Panasonic DMC-L1

    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    ...
    I am hoping that you can help me pick out a camera. I am a total beginner so I'm looking for something small to point and shoot and still get good pics. There are a few models that I'm looking at. Do you know much about these? Is there something else I should take a peak at in this range? Looking to spend $300 - 400 unless a lot more can be had for very little extra. It needs to be very small or I just won't bother to carry it. It's gotta almost take the pictures for me or they won't come out clear. I like zoom but not digi-zoom. Here are the one's I've been peaking at:
    ...
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Yeah, I'd love to have one of these big-time. G, I'm afraid it's a little out of your price range, though -- mine too.
    ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #13
    nerd ericl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    908
    GMichael, check out our other site:
    http://www.photographyreview.com

    It's the audioreview of photo sites! Tell them you're from AudioReview. It's administered by photojohn, my coworker and really knowledgeable photographer/camera guy. They've got some good buying guides.

    OR i just recently bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01, which is a really nice little camera. It uses a fancy pants Leica lens. It was $300 at best buy way back in September..

  14. #14
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Panasonic huh? Are theirs good? Each time I use that program to find a camera, I have left off Panasonic as a brand to look at. And each time it comes back with a half dozen Panasonics that it thinks I would like. How is it to use? Does it take nice (read easy & clear) pics?
    After doing all my research, I walked into the camera store absolutely convinced that I was walking out with a Canon. I also had never even considered a Panasonic. After a lengthy discussion with the sales guy about what I was going to use my camera for and features that I wanted, he said that he wanted to show me something else. Out comes the Panasonic TZ1. I was skeptical at first, but the guy assured me that it was a good quality camera.

    After playing with it in the store for a while, I decided that I really liked it. The menu was easy to use. The buttons and dials were nicely laid out. The screen was very good quality. And the image stabilizer was fantastic. Mine is only 5 megapix. But it has a 10x optical zoom. I haven't printed anything yet, but I put together a slide show of our last vacation and projected the pictures onto a screen and they looked real nice.

    I was in the same camera store with my brother on the weekend because he was looking for a new camera. We were talking to the store manager about Canon vs. Panasonic. He thought that the two brands were pretty comparible. He said that Canon has a slightly better engine, but Panasonic has a better lens. He was referring to the higher end models with a Leica lens. I don't know how the lens on the lower end models is. My brother was also sure that he was going to buy a Canon. He didn't. He ended up with a Panasonic.

    I love my Panasonic. I didn't think that I would, but I do. You have to decide which features are important to you, and buy based on that. But IMO Panasonic is definately worth taking a look at.

    Also, buy the camera someplace that has a liberal return policy. I had 30 days to play with my new camera. If I didn't like it, I could return it for a full refund.

  15. #15
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Thanks one and all.
    I'll give the Panasonics a look as well as our sister site. Up to this point the Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Digital ELPH is the front runner. I was very interested in the Olympus Stylus 750 or 1000 until I saw a few of the reviews. This Canon seems to be everything I am looking for but I won't pull the trigger for a couple more weeks. That gives me time to look into some of the other options. I'll try to get out and hold a few in my hands this weekend.
    Maybe I'll finally get those pics up here.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  16. #16
    Da Dragonball Kid L.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Posted in da cut
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Bose makes the best everything!

    I have found a little help at this site. http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM
    There's a section where you can put in all the things that are important to you and then it gives suggestions. Also a forum to read and ask questions. But I trust the people here. And I know there are a few camera buffs among us.

    Edit: I went to post pics of my system the other day and they all came out like crap. Still using my camcorder to take pics with. It's not working out so well.
    I checked out the website and this is what it pulled up. This one was the most expensive at about $300.

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do

    Blows the camera I picked up a year ago from Costco for $200 out the water!

  17. #17
    Forum Regular Grandpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ms.
    Posts
    189
    I would suggest starting out by making a list of the type of uses you will want your camera to handle. Action, close up, night photography, zoom lens for far away pictures, wide angle for close up, external flash connection, video capable, need changeable lenses? These are just some of the things you might want to think about before asking a question like " what camera to buy for X amount"?

    It is like someone coming here and asking what speakers do I buy if I have $300.00 to spend? The first question would be .... What are you going to use them for?

    I also second asking at the photography review site. What camera you need to buy is determined by what you want to do with it, Jeff
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

  18. #18
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I checked out the website and this is what it pulled up. This one was the most expensive at about $300.

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do

    Blows the camera I picked up a year ago from Costco for $200 out the water!

    Ooh, very nice. A little bigger than I would want to carry right now though. Maybe if I get into it more, I may switch to something like that later.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  19. #19
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I would suggest starting out by making a list of the type of uses you will want your camera to handle. Action, close up, night photography, zoom lens for far away pictures, wide angle for close up, external flash connection, video capable, need changeable lenses? These are just some of the things you might want to think about before asking a question like " what camera to buy for X amount"?

    It is like someone coming here and asking what speakers do I buy if I have $300.00 to spend? The first question would be .... What are you going to use them for?

    I also second asking at the photography review site. What camera you need to buy is determined by what you want to do with it, Jeff
    Thanks,

    I'm just looking for a camera that I can point, shoot, and get a good picture with very little effort. It's for taking pics of my HT system to post here. X-mas and other familly gatherings. Maybe if Yogi visits again I'll get a quick pic of him too.
    I'm not really into photography but would like to have something nice for when it's time for picture taking. Small is good. Smaller is better. IS is needed. Zoom is fun.

    ......
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  20. #20
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929
    I bought the wife the Panny FX-01 and it's a great little camera. You can get them at B&H Photo Video for just over $200 now. 6mp, IS, and a true wide angle lens (28-105mm). Hard to find a wide angle lens on a digital P&S. It's small, light and a breeze to use.

    I use a Hasselblad with digital back and Nikon DLSRs as well as an arsenal of film cameras and I am always reaching for this little camera for general snapshots, family, dog, etc. I took it on a Trip to Michigan recently with two 1GB SD cards and my iPod for storage. Worked like a charm. Granted, it can't touch my larger digitals, but no P&S can for that matter.

    Me? I would stick to either Canon, Panansonic, Fuji. Just my preference. I use Nikon DSLRs and I will never buy another Nikon P&S. Piece of junk compared to others. The Fuji F30 is supposed to be a awesome little camera as well.

    JSE

  21. #21
    Forum Regular Grandpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ms.
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thanks,

    I'm just looking for a camera that I can point, shoot, and get a good picture with very little effort. It's for taking pics of my HT system to post here. X-mas and other familly gatherings. Maybe if Yogi visits again I'll get a quick pic of him too.
    I'm not really into photography but would like to have something nice for when it's time for picture taking. Small is good. Smaller is better. IS is needed. Zoom is fun.

    ......
    If you want something simple get a $7.00 throw a way camera. You won't have to worry about it getting broken or lost and if you want to put some pictures on the web have Wal-Mart drop them on a CD for about $3.00 and your ready to go. Then when you get more interested get a real camera then, Jeff
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

  22. #22
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    If you want something simple get a $7.00 throw a way camera. You won't have to worry about it getting broken or lost and if you want to put some pictures on the web have Wal-Mart drop them on a CD for about $3.00 and your ready to go. Then when you get more interested get a real camera then, Jeff
    Not looking for a bic camera. Thanks though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  23. #23
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    I bought the wife the Panny FX-01 and it's a great little camera. You can get them at B&H Photo Video for just over $200 now. 6mp, IS, and a true wide angle lens (28-105mm). Hard to find a wide angle lens on a digital P&S. It's small, light and a breeze to use.

    I use a Hasselblad with digital back and Nikon DLSRs as well as an arsenal of film cameras and I am always reaching for this little camera for general snapshots, family, dog, etc. I took it on a Trip to Michigan recently with two 1GB SD cards and my iPod for storage. Worked like a charm. Granted, it can't touch my larger digitals, but no P&S can for that matter.

    Me? I would stick to either Canon, Panansonic, Fuji. Just my preference. I use Nikon DSLRs and I will never buy another Nikon P&S. Piece of junk compared to others. The Fuji F30 is supposed to be a awesome little camera as well.

    JSE
    Thanks JSE,

    I'll take a look at them.

    Hasselblad huh? That's some serious equipment there.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  24. #24
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    I'll second the Fuji. We have one (can't remember the model #, but it was one of their better ones) and it takes really nice pix for a digital. I'm an old Nikon SLR guy and even I'm impressed by them. Then only downside is a voracious appetite for batteries and somewhat slow shutter times. Oh yeah, it's pretty durable as well...not that I've dropped it or anything

  25. #25
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It needs to be very small or I just won't bother to carry it.
    In Nov 06 issue, ConsumerReports magazine evaluated 20 sub-compact digital cameras (camera that fit in pocket or purse), and only these 8 cameras received Excellent (5 stars) rating in term of print picture quality:

    1. Casio EX-Z750 $300
    2. Canon PowerShot SD430 $450
    3. Canon powerShot SD500 $280
    4. Sony Cybershot DSC-M1 $430
    5. Kodak Easyshare V550 $240
    6. FujiFilm FinePix V10 $280
    7. Kodak Easyshare V570 $350
    8. Pentax Optio SV $220

    Hope it help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •