Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Our family has expanded again.

We brought Neko home from the shelter yesterday. Neko is a domestic medium-hair kitty. He's only 10 months old and was full of playful energy at the shelter. He's gone into hiding since we brought him home, but we did manage to introduce him to Brandy before he went into hiding and the introduction went very well. Brandy has been keeping an eye on him, but is giving him space and, so far no ears have gone back and there has been no hissing or swatting. Both cats have friendly and laid back dispositions so I think that they will be fine together. We're hoping that Brandy has been telling Neko that we're good people.

I'll post a picture as soon as I can get one. It may be a week or so as Neko appears to be much more cautious towards us than Brandy (who slept in our bed the first night) was. But he's solid black with just a little white spot on his tummy. Even his lips and nose are black.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to reach out to a shy kitten without freaking him out, I'd appreciate it. He is normally a well socialized cat. While we were in the shelter looking at the different cats, Neko climbed into my lap and curled up to sleep. That was the deciding factor. So I know that he's friendly...just scared. When I put a couple of treats in front of him this morning, he just moved deeper into hiding. I don't want him to get too used to his hiding spots, but I also don't want to force things and freak him out even more.

Suspended
    Remember that cats are territorial, and Neko may be thinking that he's invading Brandy's space, so he retreats. I forget, is Brandy a male or female? If a male, that's all the more reason to believe that Neko's concerned about the territory that is your home.

Another thing about cats is that they're curious as heck, which is another reason why I think he'll be okay eventually. Dismiss the notion that he may get used to his hiding spots.

JSE
    He'll come out soon. Just takes a little time to get used to things, other cats, people, etc.

Anyway, congrats on the new kitty. Looks like he found a great home.

Suspended
    Maybe he's waiting to see what camp you're commited to, analog or digital. Some prefer nice, warm tubes to solid-state. Other prefer towers to bookshelf speakers. You didn't interview him prior to adoption? Cats have their standards.

Congrats FA. Kitties are cool. Just give him time. It won't take long. Make sure he has access to food and water and he'll come around on his own. I bet you'll see him poke his head out tonight. Little by little, he'll come out farther and stay longer. Enjoy.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    If anyone has any suggestions about how to reach out to a shy kitten without freaking him out, I'd appreciate it. He is normally a well socialized cat. While we were in the shelter looking at the different cats, Neko climbed into my lap and curled up to sleep. That was the deciding factor. So I know that he's friendly...just scared. When I put a couple of treats in front of him this morning, he just moved deeper into hiding. I don't want him to get too used to his hiding spots, but I also don't want to force things and freak him out even more.
    First, congrats on the new cat-buddy.

I asked my wife (keeper of our 2 cats) for advice. She says food is a good bribing tool, but mostly you just have to give the kitty time to adjust. Moving is VERY stressful to a cat.

It's a good idea to try and meet him in private, so nobody else around, no noise, and don't close the door so he feels trapped. He'll come out eventually. Talk to him. He's probably more worried about being in the territory of the other cat than anything - which could be adding to it. But he'll adapt.

Of course if you're really in the mood to do some cat-cuddling early, you can always do what my wife did - dope them on catnip and take advantage of their lowered defenses.
    Last edited by kexodusc; 02-16-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    First, congrats on the new cat-buddy.

I asked my wife (keeper of our 2 cats) for advice. She says food is a good bribing tool, but mostly you just have to give the kitty time to adjust. Moving is VERY stressful to a cat.

It's a good idea to try and meet him in private, so nobody else around, no noise, and don't close the door so he feels trapped. He'll come out eventually. Talk to him. He's probably more worried about being in the territory of the other cat than anything - which could be adding to it. But he'll get adapt.

Of course if you're really in the mood to do some cat-cuddling early, you can always do what my wife did - dope them on catnip and take advantage of their lowered defenses.
    Predator!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Congratulations on the new addition, FA....I suggest putting Neko (where'd the name come from, BTW?) in a box with a couple o' toys (an odd sock, e.g.). Give him a chance to get sorted out and let him explore your place at his leisure--not too much attention to be overly arousing but what he is comfortable with; if he comes to you, approach him at his pace and style. 10 moths is a bit old for socialization, so make sure you establish where your perimeter will be: Is he going to be an indoor or outdoor cat, will he have his own bowl, will he have his own box, etc? He will have to develop trust, but it will be rather slowly, and he will make a few mistakes along the way. He will test your limits occasionally, and may occasionally act incongruently (bite unexpectedly). Just keep your environs stable and don't force yourself upon him. Remember, he's been in a chaotic environment and will have to learn a new ball game....Hope this helps.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    FA, hope you enjoy your new kitty.

BTW, in case you did not know, Neko is the Japanese word for cat. It is pronounced like neh-coe and not knee-coe and rhymes with echo. My wife is Japanese and uses the word neko frequently when she sees a cat.

RR6

Arigato gozaima****a, RR! I used to have a Japanese friend who had a cat named "Kolo"....

The people on this forum know too fracking much. I always feel so uninformed after I've read a thread.
    Sorry for my rant. Back to the kitty talk. Move along, move along. Nothing to see here.

So Decker, how d'you like the view from up here...?
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    FA, hope you enjoy your new kitty.

BTW, in case you did not know, Neko is the Japanese word for cat. It is pronounced like neh-coe and not knee-coe and rhymes with echo. My wife is Japanese and uses the word neko frequently when she sees a cat.

RR6
    I used to luuuuuuuuv those Necco Wafer candy discs. Rarely would you see me without them when I was a little kid.

To be precise, and make GM feel even more uninformed, The Japanese usually add the suffix and term of endearment chan after a pet's or child's name (and sometimes very close friends or spouse). Chan is pronouned chawn and rhymes with lawn. So FA's kitty would be called Neko-chan in Japan. My wife has a stuffed animal that is a cat and she calls it Neko-chan. FA's other cat would be called Brandy-chan. My wife's name is Noriko and her mother, very close friends and I call her Nori-chan. Hope you got all that Mikey-chan.

Sayonara,
    RR6-chan

To be precise, and make GM feel even more uninformed, The Japanese usually add the suffix and term of endearment chan after a pet's or child's name (and sometimes very close friends or spouse). Chan is pronouned chawn and rhymes with lawn. So FA's kitty would be called Neko-chan in Japan. My wife has a stuffed animal that is a cat and she calls it Neko-chan. FA's other cat would be called Brandy-chan. My wife's name is Noriko and her mother, very close friends and I call her Nori-chan. Hope you got all that Mikey-chan.

Sayonara,
    RR6-chan
    Oh yeah, well my wife is from the Philippines and I asked HER what THEY call cats.
    She said, yum. I asked her to translate that for me. She said that they are delicious. Yuuummmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I used to luuuuuuuuv those Necco Wafer candy discs. Rarely would you see me without them when I was a little kid.
    I was raised a devout Catholic (now I am a devout atheist) and wanted to be a priest (until I got to be about 12 years old and figured out why Little RoadRunner got so big when I sneaked a peak at a Playboy Magazine ,,, ) when I was a young boy. We kids used to pretend celebrating Mass and would use Necco candies as the host for communion. They were so much tastier than that unleavened bread!

RR6

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Oh yeah, well my wife is from the Philippines and I asked HER what THEY call cats.
    She said, yum. I asked her to translate that for me. She said that they are delicious. Yuuummmmmmmm.

(my friends at work from the Philipines say it tastes like chicken)

I suggest you don't have her explain to FA and all us other pussy (cat) and chicken lovers about balut.

RR6

BTW, Maligayang President's Day to your wife.

I suggest you don't have her explain to FA and all us other pussy (cat) and chicken lovers about balut.

RR6

BTW, Maligayang President's Day to your wife.
    We went to Sea World a couple years back. As everyone else was going ooooooooh & aaaaaaaaah, she was going yuummmmm.
    What's wrong with the treat with feet?

I'll tell her.

Suspended
    I was raised a devout Catholic (now I am a devout atheist) and wanted to be a priest (until I got to be about 12 years old and figured out why Little RoadRunner got so big when I sneaked a peak at a Playboy Magazine ,,, ) when I was a young boy. We kids used to pretend celebrating Mass and would use Necco candies as the host for communion. They were so much tastier than that unleavened bread!

RR6
    Okay don't ask me to call you by your screen name ever again.

I'm not so sure that FA's going to be real happy when she gets back from playing with Neko-chan and sees what has happened to her thread.

I think I'll try to soften her up a bit with some cute kitty pictures.

RR6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Our family has expanded again.-rabbit-kitty.jpg  

Soften up FA ... attempt #2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Our family has expanded again.-kitty-mouse.jpg  

Suspended
    I answered her questions in my post #2. The rest of y'all were just riding my coat tails.

Ditto
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JSE

RR6

RoadRunner6 huh?

Is there some hidden meaning there?

Maybe just a little?

Suspended
    Typical Cartman retort.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information