Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Did somebody just say something?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    FA,

Didn't you just adopt a different cat no too long ago? I seem to remember a discussion about it, and your guinea pigs.

Remember, if the # of cats in a home out number the humans you run the risk of being called "the old cat lady".

I sure hope we don't read a story about the woman in Canada with 2 guinea pigs, and 57 cats.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    FA,

Didn't you just adopt a different cat no too long ago? I seem to remember a discussion about it, and your guinea pigs.

Remember, if the # of cats in a home out number the humans you run the risk of being called "the old cat lady".

I sure hope we don't read a story about the woman in Canada with 2 guinea pigs, and 57 cats.
    That's why I prefer dogs... I can have a whole pack of them without being labeled a crazy cat lady.... ummm... crazy dog guy... ummm.. whatever

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    You're welcome! I'm always happy to be of assistance...

Pheh....

Gol Darned Flea Barin' Varmints!!!!!

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Did somebody just say something?
    SEE?!

Hello? Is there somebody out there?
    Did anybody else here something?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    That's why I prefer dogs... I can have a whole pack of them without being labeled a crazy cat lady.... ummm... crazy dog guy... ummm.. whatever
    Friend of yours?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Morning News
    Twenty-two dogs found confined to a single station wagon were seized by the SPCA of Texas this morning and taken to an animal shelter in McKinney, SPCA officials said.

Investigators from the SPCA got a tip about a car parked along an unmarked road near the police station in Pottsboro, which is in Grayson County about 80 miles north of Dallas.
    When a Grayson County constable attempted to serve a warrant at the car, a woman in the car locked the doors and refused to come out, said Maura Davies, an SPCA spokeswoman. Inside, 20 adult dogs and two newborns — appearing to be Papillons and long-hair Chihuahuas — were crowded in among blankets, a pot of water and waste. Investigators don’t know how long the dogs had been in the car.
    “We could smell ammonia from urine a few feet away from the car as we were approaching,” Davies said. “It was utterly filthy.” ...
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 06-24-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Like I said in POST # 2...

I know it's hard to do, but sometimes you just need to leave the kitty to his own devices. IOW, don't force the issue. While I don't recommend it, cats can go a few days without any food, and in my experience, when Thelma eats Louise's food, it's not long before Louise starts whining for some of her own.

Trust me dear sweet FA, I've had my demon cats for 10 years, and experience has taught me well.
    Thanks Rich. It's just hard for me to hear an animal crying because he's hungry or lonely and ignore it. Especially early in the morning when I want to be sleeping! I know that Neko ate last night. So he's not going to starve to death yet. I am happy that he and Brandy seem to be getting along fairly well though. It's obviously an adjustment for Brandy too. He was blocking the kitchen door this morning. I think that once Neko understands the boundaries that Brandy is setting we'll all be fine.

FA,

Hi Beefy,
    Yes, we adopted Brandy on January 4. He came from a house with 80+ cats and it was obvious that he was lonely so we decided to get a second cat. Neko came from the same house and they both spent a few months in the same adoption shelter. So they are both used to having other cats around. I suspect that's one of the reasons that they seem to be getting along so well (its only the humans that Neko hides from).

As for the # of cats in the house. We agree with you; two is our limit. There was another cat in the shelter (Jack) that Hubby and I both liked also. I mentioned the possibility of taking both Neko and Jack but Hubby shut that idea down real fast. Two cats, two guinea pigs, two humans. That's it.

And they came forth in pairs. So it was written.

Suspended
    And they came forth in pairs. So it was written.

If you hadn't said it, I would've.

When does it start raining?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Friend of yours?...
    And I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those kids and their damn dog!!!

I said I could own a pack of dogs... not lock a pack of them in a parked car....

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey FA,
    Your situation doesn't sound too much unlike ours. Our cat Nacho eats Maple's food every day if I don't pay attention. Nacho came from a crappy store where every cat had to fight for every scrap of food and he eats it like it's the last day on earth. Which is fine, except Maple doesn't get much some times. She's also smaller than Nacho and for the most part just lets him get his way (unless she's sleeping in her favorite spot). Just keep an eye on that - you don't want Brandy getting too fat at Neko's expense.

But other than that...they'll figure it out. It's not a bad idea to try and preoccupy Brandy somewhere while you make friends with Neko one-on-one. But yeah, like it's been said, don't force the issue. He'll come around and before you know it you'll posting cute cat stories here.

Hi Beefy,
    He came from a house with 80+ cats and it was obvious that he was lonely so we decided to get a second cat.
    I had to read that twice. It made me smile both times. If he was lonley in a house of 80, I guess you will need 90?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

THAT'S a lot of ..............

How'd she get all those dogs in that little Catillac?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hey FA,
    Your situation doesn't sound too much unlike ours. Our cat Nacho eats Maple's food every day if I don't pay attention. Nacho came from a crappy store where every cat had to fight for every scrap of food and he eats it like it's the last day on earth. Which is fine, except Maple doesn't get much some times. She's also smaller than Nacho and for the most part just lets him get his way (unless she's sleeping in her favorite spot). Just keep an eye on that - you don't want Brandy getting too fat at Neko's expense.

But other than that...they'll figure it out. It's not a bad idea to try and preoccupy Brandy somewhere while you make friends with Neko one-on-one. But yeah, like it's been said, don't force the issue. He'll come around and before you know it you'll posting cute cat stories here.
    Brandy is supposed to lose 3-4 pounds, so eating for two is not in the cards for him. He's actually not an overeater. I suspect that his weight is more from poor quality, inexpensive food when he was in the cat house. I'm sure that when you're feeding 80 cats, you worry more about cost than nutrition. He's already lost weight being with us.

Neko was hiding in a room last night and Hubby went into the room and just sat on the couch and quietly read a book for an hour, just so that Neko would get used to him. Neko never came out of his hiding spot. I'll probably do the same thing tonight if he's still in hiding. We're not going to force anything. He has a lot to get used to. Plus we have to consider Brandy's feelings too. He's a very needy cat and may not take well to having another cat earning his human's affections. We don't want to do anything that will get Brandy upset with Neko. So many egos to balance.

Quote Originally Posted by FA
    He came from a house with 80+ cats and it was obvious that he was lonely so we decided to get a second cat.

Quote Originally Posted by GB
    I had to read that twice. It made me smile both times. If he was lonley in a house of 80, I guess you will need 90?
    LOL. That's not what I meant!

LOL. That's not what I meant!
    I think thats what all the cat ladies say. I'm glad you saved the cat though. I wish we could get cats again.

But my sister is deathly ill of them. We had to find a nice home for our 2(cats) years ago when my 1st daughter was born. I keep hoping they find some sort of cure for cat allergies. They are so much easier to care for than dogs.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I think thats what all the cat ladies say. I'm glad you saved the cat though. I wish we could get cats again.

But my sister is deathly ill of them. We had to find a nice home for our 2(cats) years ago when my 1st daughter was born. I keep hoping they find some sort of cure for cat allergies. They are so much easier to care for than dogs.
    I have many allergies and I have asthma. Cats are actually one of my worst allergies. We took a bit of a risk getting a cat. But I take allergy medication every day, year round (for environmental allergies) and have found that being near cats no longer bothers me as long as I take my medication. There are some very good allergy medications on the market these days. Allergies can be very managable if you don't mind being a pill popper. I'm not sure that I would do it just to get a cat. But for a situation like mine it's worked out very well.

I have many allergies and I have asthma. Cats are actually one of my worst allergies. We took a bit of a risk getting a cat. But I take allergy medication every day, year round (for environmental allergies) and have found that being near cats no longer bothers me as long as I take my medication. There are some very good allergy medications on the market these days. Allergies can be very managable if you don't mind being a pill popper. I'm not sure that I would do it just to get a cat. But for a situation like mine it's worked out very well.
    My sister is well beyond the help of an alergy pill. We are talking Peanut/Bee Sting reaction here. She carries an epi-pen, and it is life threatening.

Dr's have ruled out allergy shots as well, as they are concerned they could kill her.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Death by kitty?

Ajani
    Death by kitty?
    Might not be a bad way to die

Death by kitty?
    Yeah. Rough way to go.
    JBL Speakers