Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Wow, FA that is terrible news. I realize that it is difficult to equate life with cost, but I would want to know how much the potential expense would be.

Does the waiting 4 months incurr any expense? If it's just a wait and see period I would probably wait. Then after the re-test make some decisions. If it's not a painful way to go, you could let it run it's course.

However, if it's rough sledding the whole time until the inevitable perhaps you should enquire about putting Niko down. It's not any fun with a sick pet. I agonized about putting down a hamster with a huge tumor. In the end, it was the right thing to do for the animal.
    I agree with you GB. The risk in keeping him is that even if Brandy is negative and we can vaccinate him, the vaccine is only 80% effective. So there is still a 20% chance that Brandy can catch it and I don't want to take that risk. If they are both positive that's another issue. Then it becomes a matter of how much medical attention they'll need.

I've talked to my Hubby and Brandy stays regardless of the outcome. We're too attached to him (and he to us) to let him go now. Neko's future is up in the air. We wouldn't put him down though. There is still a 30% chance of recovery so we would return him to the shelter where they can foster him out to a home without other cats until he can be retested.

I've left message for the woman who runs the shelter to call me. Aside from the question of what to do about Neko, she needs to know that this virus may be spreading through her shelter right now.

Update...

Brandy's test came back negative for Feline Leukemia. We took him for the first of two vaccinations this morning. He's now sleeping peacefully in the warmth of a sunray.

Neko has responded well to the antibiotics and is doing very well. You would never know now, from looking at him, that he is sick. We discussed our options with two different vets and have come to the conclusion that we just can't keep Neko. Even if he can fight the initial virus and revert back to negative, there's a good chance that he will still carry the virus. If he stays positive, we're in for a lot of vet bills leading to his inevitable death, most likely within 2 - 4 years.

It's breaking my heart and I have shed many tears over the situation this week, but we just can't keep him. Life has not been fair to this little kitty!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    FA I am glad to read that Brandy's test was negative. Poor Neko is proof that sometimes life is not very fair. Like many damaged creatures of this earth at least Neko was shown love and happiness.

This thread started while I was pet sitting. Pets can teach you a lot and a lot about yourself. One 14 year old dog with cataracts and hearing loss. One kitten intent on the destruction of the known universe. Since I live a pet free life but like animals I was awakened many times by the antics or mishaps of the pets.

The kitten likes to jump on any table with small items she can bat off with her paws. In the morning the cat would stand on the toilet seat with front paws on the vanity while I shaved. She also liked to climb between the shower curtain and liner and swat my legs during the shower. She can be so sweet sitting in your lap and purring while you pet her and then turn and bite so hard she draws blood. When in a hurry to get to work she would jump in the pantry or a closet and I would struggle to get her out. She would have as much blood on her fangs as I had handfuls of fur. When I stop to visit we glare at each other.

The dog is more emotionally needy than I am. She wants someone showing her affection 24 hours a day. She had a skin irritation and was digging at herself constantly so I restarted her prednisone. The prednisone made her ravenous and I had to eat meals with one hand on the fork and the other keeping the dog away. I became a little smarter and would stop for dinner before I returned home. The poor dog who can not hear or see very well still likes to bark on occasion just like when she was young. The former good watch dog now only alerts us of imaginary visitors in the middle of the night.

Of course during this time I had a raging infection from some dental work and was in pain and miserable. What sleep I could have was very important. Not being used to all the sounds of a strange house and strange pet behaviors sleep was at a premium. When I woke up and my lower face looked like the Elephant Man's I was even more concerned. When the dog would not lick my face I thought uh oh.

Like I said I learned a lot. After giving the kitten a treat of canned cat food wash your hands before picking your nose. Elderly dogs love to have accidents on their owners area rugs that I just washed. No point in spending hours trying to figure out how the dog can lick itself.

Now I know I am meant to enjoy others' pets and not have any of my own.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Like I said I learned a lot. After giving the kitten a treat of canned cat food wash your hands before picking your nose. Elderly dogs love to have accidents on their owners area rugs that I just washed. No point in spending hours trying to figure out how the dog can lick itself.
    JM, thanks for the laugh! It is badly needed this weekend.

I'm sorry to hear about the pain from your dental work. I hope that you're feeling better.

I'm so sorry, FA!

Sometimes these little reminders of life, y'know...?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Brandy's test came back negative for Feline Leukemia. We took him for the first of two vaccinations this morning. He's now sleeping peacefully in the warmth of a sunray.

Neko has responded well to the antibiotics and is doing very well. You would never know now, from looking at him, that he is sick. We discussed our options with two different vets and have come to the conclusion that we just can't keep Neko. Even if he can fight the initial virus and revert back to negative, there's a good chance that he will still carry the virus. If he stays positive, we're in for a lot of vet bills leading to his inevitable death, most likely within 2 - 4 years.

It's breaking my heart and I have shed many tears over the situation this week, but we just can't keep him. Life has not been fair to this little kitty!
    FA it's pretty hard just to read this so I can't imagine how hard it's been on you guys. Wish I could say something good here but sometimes life just sucks ass. It's not fair that despite the best of intentions you're forced into a no-win situation.

I'm glad to hear Brandy is ok.

If someone had told me when I started this thread that it would end like this I would have never believed it.

We took Neko to be boarded at a vet clinic tonight. The woman who runs the shelter that we adopted him from made the arrangements for us. They will keep him at the clinic for observation for a few days and if everything looks okay (i.e. he's not a mean cat) they'll place him in a home/shelter with other positive cats. The Vet Assistant that took him from us tonight told me that they know of a few homes where people look after positive cats.

I think that we all need some time to get over this whole ordeal. We'll probably still get a second cat but not right away.

Thanks to everyone here for your advice about cats and support when things went downhill. You all made this much easier for me.

I am so sorry FA. This must be very hard on you. I wish that there were some magical words that could be said to make it all better. Only time will help. It's the tough times like this that help us to appreciate the good times more. Look forward to those times.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    You did the right thing FA. Parting with Neko would've been much harder had he been a member of the family for a longer period of time. Go forward and appreciate the time you have with Brandy.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information