Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Counting Calories

Cool Counting Calories

As a persan trying to lose weight (dropping from 44 size pants to 40 and counting), I am also began watching my intake calories from food sources.

They say avarage person burnes 2000 calories per day, so to lose weight one have to take less calories than what the body burns. Everything you buy from store have nutrition/caloris chart so it is easy to keep tab.

Suger and fats, sodium seem to be main culprit to be watched on those labels. It is amazing how much calories junl food and process food contain, and most of comes from fat or suger content.

So next time you reach for chips, a cookie or icecream, read the calories chart on the packge. It give you better idea of what the body is consuming.

For example here is nutrition chart from 1 oz of potato chips. It contain 150 calories, but 60% of calories comes from its fat content. Diet wrecker

Smokey, nice going with the weight reduction: keep up the good work. I've got a 34.5" waist but would like to get it down to 32 where it once was -- don't know how likely this is to happen.

Good observations about fat & sugar. People should not just go by 'low fat'; some low-fat foods substitute much more sugar for the reduced fat.

Personally I have to not just watch total fat, but also the saturated/trans-fat fraction. Trans-fats I have to keep close to zero.

Forgive my asking, Smokes, but are you still doing that?

Suspended
    Smokey, keep this in mind. There is more at work than you realize. Aside from sugar and fat and overall calories, Toxins are one of your bigger hurdles. Just cutting calories does not always have the effect one is looking for and here is the reason.

When the body is bombarded with Toxins, our defense mechanism is to encapsulate these toxins within fat cells/clusters. If you cannot rid yourself of the Toxins, the fat cells associated with them are not going anywhere.

What I can suggest, which most people choose not to afford although in the scheme of things, is not as expensive as it seems, is to do a Whole Body Detox. I use and sell products by Isagenix. It is not easy to follow, but it's not that hard and the benefits are awesome.

I lost major weight years ago but it slowly crept back up over the years. My wife and I first did a 14-Day Detox. (you can do a 9, 14, 30, or however you want to do it....the more the better results) I dropped from 187 to 161 in 2 weeks. Over the last seven years, I have kept my weight between 163 and 167 with changes in lifestyle (Diets do not work because they are temporary) and maintenance weeks of Isagenix program and products.

Suspended
    Keep up the good work.

What people don't realize diets have to be permanent. That's why these fad diets come and go, and worse, they gain the weight back. The simple formula is calories in vs. calories out, as mentioned you need to either eat less, exercise more or both.

I have a desk job, exercise but really didn't watch what I ate that much. No matter how hard I exercised I couldn't get my triglycerides where they needed to be and I was on blood pressure meds for years. I had some body fat but didn't think of myself as over weight and it didn't show as working out kept me a nice muscle tone.

Some time back I saw Dr. Joel Fuhrman on PBS giving a lecture on GBOMBS and a "Nutritarian" diet. What he was saying aboutagainst bad foods, and good foods fighting disease made sense and this would work for me because I am not a meat lover to the point I have to have it, and, I love fruit and vegetables. My goal was to simply see if I could eat this way and get my blood work normal, this was accomplished it about 6 months and that was not even following the diet 100%, I still had some cereal for breakfast. A side effect I lost about 25 pounds. I quit exercising hard a few times a week and now to a moderate walk almost every night on the treadmill. I still lift a couple times a week. The last time I went to the doctor my blood pressure was low and I explained how sometimes I was tired, he took me off my blood pressure meds, told me to keep track of it. I thought I'd have a rebound effect at least but my blood pressure has been great. When going to Dr. Fuhrman's website it is unfortunately very commercial wanting to sell books etc. but some people need more encouragement to remain discipline and it helps to have a cook book. The nutritarian diet is permanent for me and the results speak to the effectiveness of eating healthy. The thing is whether we can break our eating habits, or, a big one is whether a person likes vegetables. It's very hard to begin a diet eating something that tastes bad to you, LOL. I have just been blown away by just changing how I ate made such a dramatic effect in my health.

Lifting weights is still very good, many put that aside with the cardio craze, but guys we lose muscle as we age and the best thing muscles burn calories when we are stationary recooporating from working out. This is a big plus for us desk jockeys. You don't have to lift heavy just keep your tone.

Some people have good luck just cutting calories, if it works, stick with it, but whatever method, it does have to be permanent or the weight loss won't be either. But a little portion of bad Is still bad for you, like fat or sugar will still have ill effects so adding more healthy foods really provides a broader or overall health benefit.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have lost weight, I have found weight, I have gained more weight than when I began my diet. It seems that you can lose weight but those fat cells will learn to store again. I am tired of the self deprivation and will not cut back on the wine. Now it is time for another glass of wine and a big fistful of those Lay's chips.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I have lost weight, I have found weight, I have gained more weight than when I began my diet. It seems that you can lose weight but those fat cells will learn to store again. I am tired of the self deprivation and will not cut back on the wine. Now it is time for another glass of wine and a big fistful of those Lay's chips.
    That's very relateable, JM

Suspended
    LOL, well probably not much you can do about the wine but at least it was once juice. But, insteac of Lays you could opt for one of those chips made of other vegetables and some humas dip Or, go with some almonds

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Forgive my asking, Smokes, but are you still doing that?
    Unfortunantly yes. That is something I can't seem to shake. When they say ciggarets are more addictive than drugs, it is true

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I lost major weight years ago but it slowly crept back up over the years. My wife and I first did a 14-Day Detox. (you can do a 9, 14, 30, or however you want to do it....the more the better results) I dropped from 187 to 161 in 2 weeks.
    Don't know, but dropping 26 pound in two weeks seem unnatural to me. 3500 calories equal one pound of body fat, so body have to lose over 90,000 calories in two week which seem like an impossible task. More attainable goal would be to lose one pound a week without any outside drug help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    What people don't realize diets have to be permanent. That's why these fad diets come and go, and worse, they gain the weight back. The simple formula is calories in vs. calories out, as mentioned you need to either eat less, exercise more or both.
    I agree. Exercise have to be part of dieting or it will not work. "NO pain, no gain" definintly apply here. I am lucky that I can walk to work (1 mile each way), so it is a great help in burning calories

I am tired of the self deprivation and will not cut back on the wine. Now it is time for another glass of wine and a big fistful of those Lay's chips.
    I know excatly how you feel. The trick is you can have wine and chips, but you have to cut calories somewhere elese. I eat chips, nuts and sweets on regular bases, but cut my meal consumption to make uo for it. It is like cat and mouse game playing with calories

Suspended
    Smokey, have you ever tried those e-cigs or sometimes called smokeless cigarettes? I have family who smoke, these products didn't seem to help to much. But others swear by them.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Don't know, but dropping 26 pound in two weeks seem unnatural to me. 3500 calories equal one pound of body fat, so body have to lose over 90,000 calories in two week which seem like an impossible task. More attainable goal would be to lose one pound a week without any outside drug help.
    Then you don't really understand how fat and toxins in your body actually work. I figured I was wasting my time responding.

I am in perfect health, just had a physical recently, take no medications and have maintained my ideal weight for close to 7 years. And you, a self admitted overweight unhealthy individual is going to question how it can be easily achieved. What is wrong with that picture, besides denial which is the norm.

You also may not realize that your intestines hold between 5 and 10 lbs of **** that you lose, along with all the gross stuff brewing when you fast. Fasting along with correct nutrition is the basis of the Isagenix program.

And like I said, rid yourself of Toxins and the body handles the rest, just like it does by encapsulating the toxins with fat. It is reversible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Smokey, have you ever tried those e-cigs or sometimes called smokeless cigarettes? I have family who smoke, these products didn't seem to help to much. But others swear by them.
    I did try couple of variety of e-cigs and they are OK. But no substitution for real thing. Younger smoker probably like them better than older smokers

You also may not realize that your intestines hold between 5 and 10 lbs of **** that you lose, along with all the gross stuff brewing when you fast. Fasting along with correct nutrition is the basis of the Isagenix program. And like I said, rid yourself of Toxins and the body handles the rest, just like it does by encapsulating the toxins with fat. It is reversible.
    Could you provide more information about toxins subject. Many diet sites I looked at doesn't mention anything about encapsulated toxins within fat cells and how to get rid of it

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Could you provide more information about toxins subject. Many diet sites I looked at doesn't mention anything about encapsulated toxins within fat cells and how to get rid of it
    Yours and so many other people look to Diets, which 99% of the time do not work long term. Diet sites want to promote THEIR diet, not clue you in on real lifestyle changes and the full details of how things actually work.

Look at the below link

Let me google that for you

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I'll throw in my two cents (in truth way more than 2 cents). I, fortunately, have never struggled with weight. I feel for those who do. However, I think a lot about diet. My general take is that, watching calories is not as important as watching the form that your calories come in. Obviously, though, if you need to lose weight you need to use more calories than you consume. That's not fun. But, being healthier is the trade off.

First,
    Potato chips are not food. They are a tasty delivery vehicle for calories. Why read the label on potato chips? There's nothing you need in a potato chip. Enough said.

Calories
    I break it down as 'fast' and 'slow' calores. This is my mental 'system of the world' for making food decisions. Eat more slow calories. Fast calories are simple carbs, sugars, refined foods, pasta, white rice, white flour. Slow calories are complex and generally not in a box. Nuts, meat, grains, cheese, beans.

Lots of research shows that 'fast' calorie foods (high-glycemic index foods; Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health Publications) give you a quick burst of energy and then leave you with a hunger crash. Then you eat more. 'Slow' calories satiate longer so you're less likely to binge snack.

It also may be that 'fast' calories tend to promote a gut bacteria that are more inflammatory.

Given a choice between two sins; a plate of sugar cookies and a cheese cake. Eat the cheesecake. It's slower, more sinful. Live life.

Fat
    You do need fat. The right fats provide energy, help absorption of vitamins and nutrients (Dietary Fats: MedlinePlus). In my system of the world, fats are 'slow' calories. They are pleasing and satisfying. However, vegetable and fish fats are much better for you. Try to shift to get more of your fats from better sources. Nuts, avocados, beans, vegetable oil. You don't need to give up meat (or bacon), just shift the emphasis. Make hearty sides with beans (red beans and rice, humus, put chick peas in salads, black beans and cheese...). Eat more nuts. Buy those bags of pecans, almonds, walnuts in the baking isle or the bulk food isle and just add them to stuff. dried fruit and nuts as snack or on salad or on anything. Just start adding them liberally. You can toast them in a fry pan and make them tastier.

Dairy
    I'm not going to give up dairy. But, here's my thinking on this. Milk actually has a lot of sugars in it. If you drink non-fat milk, its bordering on 'fast' calories. A little fat helps. As humans, we used to eat mostly fermented milk products (cheese, yogurt); milk doesn't keep long without refrigerators. Fermentation converts sugars to more complicated energy forms and turns milk into 'slow' calorie foods like cheese. Less sugar, more protein. Eat more cheese and yogurt in place of milk. I eat plain whole milk yogurt. It took a while to develop a taste for it. That's just the way it goes. There is a ton of added sugar in flavored yogurt. That's not ideal. Try mixing vanilla yogurt with whole milk plain to wean off the sugar. Try whole milk plain yogurt. The fat wont hurt you.

Butter is not evil. Margarine is.

OJ
    In my mind the most ridiculous thing we consume for 'health'. You don't need that much vitamin C in the first place. We live an a modern world, no one is getting scurvy. OJ, however, is a major sugar bomb. I'll stop now on OJ. I get real conspiracy theory about OJ...the juice.

Eat more vegetables. You can't eat enough vegetables.
    Just get used to it. I eat most stuff, I'm just that way (except for cucumbers). However, if you have a hard time embracing things like Kale, Collards, Spinach... steam them a bit and then pop them in a fry pan with with sautéed onions and butter (or 50/50 butter/olive oil) and fry it up for flavor. Crumble up some bacon and add that. Add a can of red or white beans. Garlic. Olives. Bell peppers. Whatever floats your boat.

Consider squashes. They're filling and cheap. I make a mean butternut squash and chick pea curry thanks to Google. Takes about 35 minutes. Microwave spaghetti squash and put butter and red sauce on it. Use lots of grated parmesan.

When you start adding hearty vegetable stuff to your diet, you find you eat less meat. Which is better for your diet, but much better for the world and an the environment (but that is another diatribe of mine).

Think long-term. You may want better health tomorrow. But really ask yourself what do you want to be eating 5 years from now, 10 years from now. This is your 1 life to live.

Get your information from respectable sources.
    Your tax dollars pay for it. Use it.

There's no shortage of good information out there in the world. Don't get it from people pushing fad diets.

Start here:
    Diets: MedlinePlus

for example:
    mediteranean diet
    Mediterranean diet: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

for example:
    fish oil
    Fish oil: MedlinePlus Supplements

DETOXIFICATION
    Hey, if it makes you feel good, I'm not going to argue. It's well established that fasting and detox can make you feel good, kind of like a high. And I have no doubt that ritual, meditation, detox highs can add to your overall well being. BUT...

Basically, detox diets tend to be laxatives. Oil in large quantities is a laxative. Laxatives (and their close cousin, the enema), lean toward quackery territory as far as established health claims go. Intermittent fasting on the other-hand, may have some positives.

A normal healthy adult has about 3 pints of bacteria in their gut. These bacteria are doing important stuff for you, like breaking down food that you are not able to digest, synthesizing vitamins, modulating your immune system. These bacteria are stinky and gross, most of your stool is bacteria passing through. Its easy, and silly, to think of "toxins" leaving your system--it's just poo. Evolution has provided us with a really good elimination system for removing "toxins" from our bodies. It works really well. Go to the bathroom.

Detox diets
    Are Detox Diets Safe?

Three key points.

1. There's no scientific proof that these diets help rid the body of toxins faster or that the elimination of toxins will make you a healthier, more energetic person.

2. Detox diets can be addicting. That's because there's a certain feeling that comes from going without food or from having an enema — for some, it's almost like the high other people get from nicotine or alcohol. This can become a dangerous addiction that leads to health problems, including serious eating disorders, heart problems, and even death.

3. Detox diets don't help people lose fat. People who fast for several days may drop pounds, but most of it will be water and some of it may be muscle. Most people regain the weight they lost soon after completing the program.

Last. Anecdotes are anecdotes. Fads are fads.
    They may be true. They may be false. They tend to fit our personal preconceptions. Anecdotes are not generalizable evidence. Generalizable evidence comes from good science, which may often have it's origins in someone's anecdote. Skepticism is good. So is keeping an open mind.
    Mr Peabody likes this.
    TCA ATT GGA

Suspended
    The Isagenix Detox Program is really not a Diet, and it isn't intended as a Weight Loss program. The SIDE EFFECT of this particular Detox is the weight loss. Isagenix is a whole body molecular level program with Shakes containing way more vitamins and minerals than you would normally eat. You also eat a Lean Protein meal each day along with 2 shakes, lots and lots of water and a few other things.

As per what is in the food goes, my personal program includes 2 real simple things.
    1- If I cannot pronounce all the ingredients on the label, I should not be eating it
    2- If it comes from the super market in a snap-lid plastic container, I should not be eating it

The Isagenix Detox Program is really not a Diet, and it isn't intended as a Weight Loss program. The SIDE EFFECT of this particular Detox is the weight loss. Isagenix is a whole body molecular level program with Shakes containing way more vitamins and minerals than you would normally eat. You also eat a Lean Protein meal each day along with 2 shakes, lots and lots of water and a few other things.

As per what is in the food goes, my personal program includes 2 real simple things.
    1- If I cannot pronounce all the ingredients on the label, I should not be eating it
    2- If it comes from the super market in a snap-lid plastic container, I should not be eating it
    Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I'm bashing on a diet/program that works for you. Better health is better health, however you get there. I also whole-heartedly agree with your two guidelines.

I, personally, drank a fair dose of the author Michael Pollan's kool-aid.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Do read this:
    Unhappy Meals | Michael Pollan

I highly encourage anyone who wants to re-think their approach to food to read his book "In Defense of Food" and the earlier one "The Omnivore's Dilemma". He preaches some, but he also provides a framework for rethinking your own approach. Take what you like.

He also puts out an argument that, nutritionally, American's seem to be susceptible to wanting to breakdown and define the 'good' components of diet in to units and chemicals. Loosely, we focus on vitamins, minerals, specific types of fat, units of calories. We think OJ everyday is good for us because its a source of vitamin C. We eat meat for protein. This reductionist thinking doesn't work. It over simplifies.

I'm slowly becoming a microbial ecologist who works in the area of the human microbiome (all those bacteria in your gut). My perspective suggests to me that like all ecosystems, what is healthy is complexity. If you walk in the woods and all the trees are the same, its a sign that it's not healthy--it's been recently destroyed or it's going to be susceptible to a single disease..., invasive species can really take over. Complexity, however, is robust; it recovers from insult.

Food is the way that we feed the complexity of our gut ecology, our microbiome. We we want complex bacterial communities. Thus, we want to put complexity in. Not simple sugars, not all one type of food, not pre-processed (very nearly pre-chewed). Don't feed the weeds. Eat whole grains, eat actual plants and fruits. Eat your fruits, don't drink them. All those fibers are eaten by the good bacteria in you.

This is why, diversifying to 'slow' more complex energy sources is good. Sugars get consumed by specialist bacteria, the weeds of the ecology. They can also be good bacteria, but many are of the type that can be pathogens. A specific example, most pathogenic E.coli are specializing to utilize fructose and sucrose and sorbose (yes, E.coli eats artificial sweetener).

I didn't use to be anti-sugar. I love twinkies. But, I'm changing my tune now. Sugar in all forms is something we eat too much of. In milk, in juice, in supposedly healthy yogurt, in pretty much every pre-processed food. We've bred all our crop foods to be sweeter. The reason is...ta dah...it makes stuff taste good. The only way to change your food habits is to start appreciating the subtleties of other tastes...bitter, sour.

To go all politico-economic, the reason we have sugar everywhere is because it's all corn derived. Subsidies have made corn the cheapest source of good tasting calories on the planet (after chemical processing). Add it to anything and it tastes yummy. If you're on a tight budget, the foods that give you more calories for the dollar are corn product infused. If you're working long hours on low pay, you have less time to spare cooking grains and vegetables. It may be in your economic interest to grab and go, or buy pre-packaged food. I view this as inexcusable socioeconomic injustice. Any nation that calls itself 'great' should be ashamed to let this happen within its borders.

If we subsidized the beans, cheese, rice and green vegetable industries instead of the corn industry we'd be a healthier nation. I speculate that we wouldn't be doubling our incidence of adult diabetes over the last 30 years (CDC - Age-Adjusted Incidence per 1,000 Population by Sex - Incidence of Diabetes - Data & Trends - Diabetes DDT).
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 11-13-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    Smokey likes this.
    TCA ATT GGA

Suspended
    Good stuff Noddin

Thanks. Hify. Some days I just feel like going on and on.

I was just looking up the thread. Some bastard corporate interest hyperlinked all my food comments to adds.

Wait... now they're gone... {experiment in progress}

lol. that's a riot. if you're not logged in, random words get linked to adds. First time it was "yogurt" and "walnuts", second time "white beans". Of course, to pre-processed, industrial products.

Damn them to nutritional hell for abuse of irony...
    TCA ATT GGA

Thanks Hify and noddin for info

I been dieting for couple of months, so kind of new to the game. I usually don't eat till I get home from work (light snack during day for energy), so usually eat one full meal a day. And so far it has been working.

Big belly was my biggest problem, but I feel I am getting control of it as my pants size keep dropping. As I said, I am lucky that I can walk to work (2 miles a day), so it is definitely helping on that end.

Fasting seem to be another option, but don't know about fasting more than a day continusley. In the religion Islam, followers fast one month out of a year, from sunup to sundown. No water, snack or even smoking during daytime. That sound like more reasonable way to fast

Forum Regular
    The best weight loss pills may contain one or more active ingredients intended to increase fat burning, decrease appetite, or reduce absorption of fat.

Not all weight loss pills and supplements are created equal. Certain pills may cause unpleasant side effects while others may not be proven to result in weight loss. So for weight loss supplements do work, but it depends on the type of supplements you use as for me the best is https://anabolicmenu.ws/

Forum Regular
    I've been doing that for a while with no effect so I decided to dig deeper and found out that most likely stress is the main reason of my excess weight. So I decided to buy CBD oil UK from Blessed CBD because it is a really good remedy for stress and it worked so I have a decent progress already. Glad that I finally found a way to solve my problem.

Forum Regular
    Why do you need to count these calories? It won't help you at all. Just start doing some sport exercises and eat healthy food and that's all you need to do. Besides here on https://corporatewellnesscompanies.com you can learn more about corporate wellness companies and try their programs in the future

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information