Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Is the PS2 hurting PS3?

Well, its just out, the NPD #'s for September. It was a bloodbath for Sony, on 2 fronts.

First and foremost, was the explosive growth and sales of the XBOX 360. With a little game called HALO3, console sales topped 527,800 units. The Wii was at 501,000 units.

Game sales were an astronomical 3.3 MILLION units for Halo3 in the 6 days after release.

Next highest game was a Wii title at 274,000 units.

The Second major issue is the continued success of the PS2, with 215,000 units sold.
    The PS3 managed sales of approximatly 119,400 units.

This begs the question, is the Sony support of the PS2 actually causing a drain on potential PS3 customers? And will the $400 NON BW compatible PS3 be enough
    to draw PS2 consumers into the HD fold?

Here is a link, less anyone in shining armour wants to "verify" the info:

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17836

MS was soundly beaten in the press for 1. Killing the Xbox when the 360 came out, 2. Not offering "100% BW Compat". But in retrospect, did they do it right? All new MS customers are buying the new system. And by Sony dropping BW compat, is it an implicit nod that perhaps MS was correct, and its not "necessary" to have it?

Not really looking for a flame war about what system is "best", just some basic questions about business decisions that have been made by both giants.

It's hard to say who was right and who was wrong. Maybe a little of both.
    But the PS3 has been available for how long? Less than a year? I think hat the numbers for the 360 at one were below what the PS3 is at now. Plus they still had/have sales of the PS2 to bolster up income for them.
    Who knows what the long run will bring.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Good question -
    I know my local Wal-Marts have been SOLD OUT of 360's for almost a month...Halo had something to do with that.

Personally, I truly believe that Sony is just not worried about the PS3 yet. And the market isn't terribly concerned either - just some MS fanboys/Sony bashers. It's not a feel good story for sure, but they haven't exactly hit a panic button yet at all. Some would suggest they're not even trying to keep pace with the 360's price strategies.

Considering the vast majority of sales of the console were going to happen a few years after the initial launch, Sony wasn't in a rush to lose money on each unit in the first year just to win a pissing contest that won't affect the final sales result much. Especially with the far higher-margin, strong-selling PS2 still doing well. They messed up the PS3 launch/development alright, but they're not going to chase magazine headlines and try to top charts if it means more money lost.

I know one thing - alot of those 360 owners are going to be buying PS3's in the next year or two - and as the price continues to drop. PS2 owners are going to want jump on board as well - and there's a lot of Sony fanboys just waiting for the right price-point.

I think Microsoft learned a lot about the business after XBOX, and wanted to get started on the next generation early to do it better - Sony wasn't under that pressure. We'll see - in a year or 2 if MS is still handing them their ass on a platter, heads will start to roll and things will get desperate. But they've already endured a year long slow start and Halo 3, so it's probably uphill from here?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I read the report myself. I am careful balance the reality that any game machine, or multi media device that can play games will sell well when a highly anticipated game is released. This data also does not reflect the reduced price of the PS3 40 or 80GB machine.

When a exclusive game is released to the PS3, watch its sales jump as well. That is the way it works.

A bloodbath might be a little much to describe this. A bump would be much more accurate.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It's hard to say who was right and who was wrong. Maybe a little of both.
    But the PS3 has been available for how long? Less than a year? I think hat the numbers for the 360 at one were below what the PS3 is at now. Plus they still had/have sales of the PS2 to bolster up income for them.
    Who knows what the long run will bring.
    The original release date of PS3 was Nov 17, 2006. So we are just a few weeks shy of a year.

I agree that the PS2 is a money maker for Sony. The question is however, as Backward Compatiblity is being phased out, what is the incentive for NEW PS2 owners to then fork out more money for a system that wont play the games?

And, more to the point, several (not all, but I think about 75%) of all new PS3 games also have a counterpart for the PS2. Such hits as Madden 08, Fight Night 3, and others are widely outselling the PS3 version. What is the incentive for a consumer to move up to the PS3 if the "same" game is available for $10 less? We have seen instances where HD titles have sold more copies (300) in BR, than HD, and the price was $5.00 less. Not sure if that was the entire reason for the gap, but some (even on this board) suggested it might have been part of the reason.

I'm just wondering if part of the lackluster sales of the PS3 is because of the rather robust sales of the PS2 (typically outselling BOTH the PS3 and the 360). The 360 isn't having a cannibal problem because it (original XBOX) was phased out within 3 months of the 360 release.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    The original release date of PS3 was Nov 17, 2006. So we are just a few weeks shy of a year.

I agree that the PS2 is a money maker for Sony. The question is however, as Backward Compatiblity is being phased out, what is the incentive for NEW PS2 owners to then fork out more money for a system that wont play the games?

And, more to the point, several (not all, but I think about 75%) of all new PS3 games also have a counterpart for the PS2. Such hits as Madden 08, Fight Night 3, and others are widely outselling the PS3 version. What is the incentive for a consumer to move up to the PS3 if the "same" game is available for $10 less? We have seen instances where HD titles have sold more copies (300) in BR, than HD, and the price was $5.00 less. Not sure if that was the entire reason for the gap, but some (even on this board) suggested it might have been part of the reason.

I'm just wondering if part of the lackluster sales of the PS3 is because of the rather robust sales of the PS2 (typically outselling BOTH the PS3 and the 360). The 360 isn't having a cannibal problem because it (original XBOX) was phased out within 3 months of the 360 release.
    Again, it's hard to say. If the PS2 was discontinued today, would all of those potential customers buy PS3's? I think that a large number of them would buy Wii for the price. That's why they are getting the 2 instead of the 3 right? Some might even buy 360's. So I guess what I'm saying is that the PS2 sales have been cutting into everyone's sales to a point.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I think it would be a stupid move for Sony to phase out the PS2 while it is selling so well. You use those sales to continue to develope and expand the PS3 through marketing. As soon as the two machines sales become equal, then it is time to phase out the PS2. That way you offset any loses from the PS3, and allow it to push bluray sales until PS3 exclusive titles hit the streets.

Keep in mind, the PS3 is being marketed on two fronts, the 360 is not.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 10-19-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I think it would be a stupid move for Sony to phase out the PS2 while it is selling so well. You use those sales to continue to develope and expand the PS3 through marketing. As soon as the two machines sales become equal, then it is time to phase out the PS2. That way you offset any loses from the PS3, and allow it to push bluray sales until PS3 exclusive titles hit the streets.
    Hmm. Well, I can't say I disagree, but it is interesting to see the difference in sales methods between Sony and MS. I would have to say that for MS at least, the sales of XBOX were not near that of the PS2, so the risk of killing the project in lieu of the 360 wasn't so great.

But I have read on the various boards that some (gamers) are buying the PS2, because the same titles are out for it vs PS3. For Sony, I see that as an issue because then developers have less incentive to make PS3 games as the installed base is much lower. That is one of the major reasons for so many high profile defections of previous Sony exclusives (GTA to name the biggest) to either MS exclusives/dual format releases.

The reason the PS3 hasn't taken off is simple: No software. The console has no "killer ap" like Halo, and it needs one badly. HD graphics will only get you so far; it's about the games and the playability. Wii is a perfect example of fun over technology. The graphics in my Wii games aren't as good as the archaic PS2, but the interface is so good, you really don't care. I saw a preview of Wii Olympics and can't wait for it come out!

I think once the PS3 hits $300, I'll buy one. However, at that point it will be more as an excellent BR player that happens to play games rather than the other way around.

You can get games on both platforms, however one is in standard definition, and the other can upscale that standard definition to HD like resolution. If I had a HDTV, I would pick the PS3 in a heartbeat. If I did not have one, then the PS2 is a no brainer.

When games come out that are optimized for the PS3, then the emphasis will shift towards the PS3.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Sounds like there's a consensus here - Sony hasn't exactly flooded the market with their brand of killer game titles.

My sense is that PS3 took a bit more than Sony hoped for just to develop, so the contingency plan was to keep servicing the PS2 and to offset any losses, while building and establishing the Sony brand until such a time that the PS3 is ready for an inexpensive mass production run supported by good titles.

Seriously, they knew MS had their asses licked for the first year - so why bother trying at all?
    Think we're going to see the 360/PS3 war last a lot longer than the XBox/PS2 war did...as in, there could be a few extra years in this generation.

While we're on the topic...
    Kex's mother in-law just bought him a shiny new Xbox 360 - originally I had last year's model but never opened it. Thank goodness for Futureshop's exchange policy - yesterday I swapped that model for the new bundle they just released that came with 2 extra games and a free version of Guitar Hero II...big reason I wanted the new console - HDMI.
    (thanks to Beefy for answering all my 360 questions )
    So the wife and I had a duel that Marty Friedman and Dave Mustaine would have been proud of last night

Now I'm off to buy 20 some feet of ethernet cable so I can take this baby LIVE...

Could a PS3 be in Kex's near future????

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Now I'm off to buy 20 some feet of ethernet cable so I can take this baby LIVE...

Could a PS3 be in Kex's near future????
    Show off

I was at a friend's house for a BBQ on Saturday and the kids wanted to play Madden on the 360. Unfortunately, it crapped out on Friday and now they had to send it back in to MS. The interesting thing was that three other guys there all talked about the best way to send it back as they all encountered the same problem. They were so nonchalant about the process, it was a bit unsettling. Have our expectations receded so much that we have a cavalier acceptance of faulty engineering?

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I was at a friend's house for a BBQ on Saturday and the kids wanted to play Madden on the 360. Unfortunately, it crapped out on Friday and now they had to send it back in to MS. The interesting thing was that three other guys there all talked about the best way to send it back as they all encountered the same problem. They were so nonchalant about the process, it was a bit unsettling. Have our expectations receded so much that we have a cavalier acceptance of faulty engineering?
    This is the main reason I'm looking at the PS3 instead. I'm sure MS will work out the bugs. I may be back once that's done.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    This is the main reason I'm looking at the PS3 instead. I'm sure MS will work out the bugs. I may be back once that's done.
    Yeah, that's supposedly all taken care of now...
    My brother bought a machine 2 years ago, had it crap out...with no receipt, no fuss, no questions asked they replaced it for him and paid shipping.
    That is NOT the MS I know, but good for them.
    If I had to choose a console based on quality, I'd pick Nintendo...as it is, Nintendo wasn't the one that appealed to us the most.
    Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances.
    Sad when Sony becomes one of the reliable ones in any electronic device market.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    A lot of people bag on Sony for being arrogant. I believe that arrogance, in a multi-national corporation, would necessarily mean being blind to market realities and I don't believe this is the case with Sony. They are in these markets for the long haul and that leads me to the following conjectures:

1. Sony realizes that the videogame market isn't zero-sum.

Unlike home theater or personal computing, someone buying an xbox360 or Wii doesn't necessarily mean they won't buy a PS3 as well. Sony bought their own movie studio (MGM/Columbia) to ensure that, no matter what deals other studios cut with other hardware technology platforms, there will always be Blu-Ray exclusives because people are less likely to own two different video playback formats than they are to own two different console gaming platforms.

2. Sony is invested in the PS3 for the long time horizon.

Both the PS1 and PS2 were initially expensive and difficult to code for. Over the lifetimes of those platforms you saw developers gradually learn the tricks and squeeze more performance and innovation out of them than they did initially (compare Wipeout to WipeoutXL on PS1). It's going to be a few years before developers really learn how to make a PS3 sing. Right now they're saying that, even though the PS3 hardware should outrun the xbox360 (e.g. Folding@Home) in the real-world you're not seeing much difference. This will change.

3. Backwards compatibility can be sacrificed.

Gamers are used to running multiple platforms. The initial presence, and recent dropping, of backwards compatibility is entirely related to availability of software. Sony said (and I take them at their word on this because it makes sense) that they now feel there are enough titles for PS3. A year ago, you weren't going to see mass adoption of PS3 because there were few games. To keep from pissing off people who bought them and then couldn't play the latest games, backwards compatibility was a smart move. It wasn't designed to encourage people to pull their PS2s from their rigs, especially since there was (and is) still so much PS2 sales and development happening.

First, I would like to take this opportunity to say "Hi". It's nice to have some new views on the board. Don't be intimidated, and stand up for your views. Plenty of folks are quite passionate in their opinions, so don't take offense to any dissenting views. Second, it's nice to see another gamer face here on the boards. Plenty of A/V lovers, and a few gamers (Kex, Topspeed, Myself, Wooch, and others I have forgotten to add...Oh, yeah, Sir. Terrance-He's the biggest game player on the board )

Quote Originally Posted by djo2
    A lot of people bag on Sony for being arrogant. I believe that arrogance, in a multi-national corporation, would necessarily mean being blind to market realities and I don't believe this is the case with Sony. .
    They sure are not arrogant now. But 1 year ago? Please. When you suggest that your new system is so great that rather than be concerned about the $600 price tag, customers should just get a second job to pay for it....thats arrogant. They were clearly blind to the market realities that consumers were simply not ready to pay a $200 premium for a GAME system that had no games at launch, and long on promise, and short on delivery. The recent price cuts are indicitive of the ass whopping they have taken in the year since launch.

1. Sony realizes that the videogame market isn't zero-sum.

Unlike home theater or personal computing, someone buying an xbox360 or Wii doesn't necessarily mean they won't buy a PS3 as well. Sony bought their own movie studio (MGM/Columbia) to ensure that, no matter what deals other studios cut with other hardware technology platforms, there will always be Blu-Ray exclusives because people are less likely to own two different video playback formats than they are to own two different console gaming platforms.
    Thats a tough one to call. I think that Sony was/is MUCH more invested in the success of BluRay than MS is of HD-DVD. But by the time the war is settled, there is a very good chance that HD on Demand will be the market choice. You may be a Sony man, but you can't really argue with the success of MS MarketPlace, and the total dominance in HD/DL market. It's beating all other D/L formats, and not looking back. That cant be good for either HD format in the long run.

Also, its more likely that a consumer will buy a Wii as a supplemental to either a 360 or a PS3, rather than a PS3 or 360 owner buying the other system as well. Both financial, and "fanboy" loyalty I suppose.

2. Sony is invested in the PS3 for the long time horizon.

Both the PS1 and PS2 were initially expensive and difficult to code for. Over the lifetimes of those platforms you saw developers gradually learn the tricks and squeeze more performance and innovation out of them than they did initially (compare Wipeout to WipeoutXL on PS1). It's going to be a few years before developers really learn how to make a PS3 sing. Right now they're saying that, even though the PS3 hardware should outrun the xbox360 (e.g. Folding@Home) in the real-world you're not seeing much difference. This will change.
    This is the same as all consoles. I love this talking point from Sony. As if the 360 is finished, and all tricks have been squeezed out of it. This is just a consolation line from Sony players who are ticked they have very little to show for their investment. In the last week it was announced that BlackSite (a PS3/360 title) will have several features missing from the PS3. One of them will be voice support for online games. Tell me that gamers are willing to "wait till next year" again and again. Several games have had features cut just so the PS3 can play them. And don't toss out Folding@Home as an answer for gamers troubles. If I want my game machine to be a dedicated research machine fine, but it's certainly not what I bought it for. Its for GAMES, and media center capablities. Both of which the 360 is killing the PS3. But don't worry, I'm sure "next year" things will be better.

3. Backwards compatibility can be sacrificed.

Gamers are used to running multiple platforms. The initial presence, and recent dropping, of backwards compatibility is entirely related to availability of software. Sony said (and I take them at their word on this because it makes sense) that they now feel there are enough titles for PS3. A year ago, you weren't going to see mass adoption of PS3 because there were few games. To keep from pissing off people who bought them and then couldn't play the latest games, backwards compatibility was a smart move. It wasn't designed to encourage people to pull their PS2s from their rigs, especially since there was (and is) still so much PS2 sales and development happening.
    This is also funny. Talk about a 180. Sony gamers savaged MS when the BW compatiblity was LIMITED at lauch. All the wailing and nashing of teeth, about how bad MS was treating its consumers...blah..blah..blah. And now all of the sudden, "its no big deal". Kinda like how Rumble was so (How did Sony put it? Oh yea..) "Last Gen". And then 2 months ago you would have thought Sony had found the Arc of the Last Covenent when Rumble was brought out of the celler. Its funny how a little lawsuit makes you say funny things.

Well, I guess we won't see that guy again

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well, I guess we won't see that guy again
    I certainly hope we do. Just imagine the welcome if the had posted in "Speakers" how much his Bose system kicks ass, coupled with his Monster Cables.

I certainly hope we do. Just imagine the welcome if the had posted in "Speakers" how much his Bose system kicks ass, coupled with his Monster Cables.
    And that, would be that.

Thanks for drpping by djo2. I enjoyed your post.

Welcome to AR.

Mike

I think this guy kinda just showed up just to say whatever and leave it at that. Alot of Bose threads seem to be like that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I think this guy kinda just showed up just to say whatever and leave it at that. Alot of Bose threads seem to be like that as well.
    Well, thats a bit of a shame. It's nice to have new folks stick around, and like I said at the beginning of the response, don't take any threads personally. Most people around here are pretty set in their preferred equipment.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Sorry guys. Can't just hang on the forums all day. Gotta pay the mortgage.

Looks like your assumptions mean you'll probably be surprised to learn that I don't own a PS3. (Nor anything from Bose.) The only piece of Sony gear in the entire house *is* a PS2, but it hasn't been turned on in almost a year. The upcoming Rock Band has me leaning toward picking up a new gaming system because of how much I've loved playing Guitar Hero at friends' places. Overall, not much of a gamer. No games installed on my computers, and as mentioned, the PS2 collects a lot of dust.

Also, back to Sony/PS3, I don't think that arrogance from the marketing department (of which there has been plenty) should be extrapolated to indicate arrogance from the rest of company. Their engineers are pretty amazing, and regarding the "just a consolation line from Sony players" about the platform having legs, well... First, since I don't own a PS3, can't really apply that to me. And second, the PS1 and 2 demonstrated this, the original Xbox really didn't have a lot of people saying how much the programming improved over the lifespan of the platform. Microsoft deliberately chooses to use current and previous generation hardware to make it easier to program and cheaper to buy. Neither approach is right or wrong, and obviously the MSFT approach gets a lot of hardware and software out into the market in a hurry, while the PS 1 and 2 had much longer lifespans than the original Xbox in part because there was enough power in them to keep them viable against the competition over a longer period of time.

(I'm coming at this from an engineering perspective, not a gamer perspective. Again, neither being the "right" one, just different ones.)

------------

I guess I skipped the customary introduction:

IT Guy
    2001 Subaru Imprezza Outback Sport
    Marin FPS Mountain Bike
    37" Westinghouse 1080p LCD
    Oppo 970HD 1080i DVD player
    DIrecTV H20-100
    Anthem AVM-30 Pre-pro
    Mac Mini (G4 now, Intel by this weekend) Media Center
    Gefen HDMI/DVI Switch
    Mackie HR824 / HR624 / HR626 monitors

Well, I stand corrected. Welcome aboard DJ. You don't have to hang around ALL the time. Just drop by every now and then.

Sorry guys. Can't just hang on the forums all day. Gotta pay the mortgage.
    Didn't you get the memo? Intel/MS pays us $419 for each response on the board. You just have to forward this forum to 7 of your closest friends, and have them forward to 7 more. Look in your mail in 3 weeks, and I swear you'll have a check too. This is no lie, try it!!

Looks like your assumptions mean you'll probably be surprised to learn that I don't own a PS3. The upcoming Rock Band has me leaning toward picking up a new gaming system because of how much I've loved playing Guitar Hero at friends' places. Overall, not much of a gamer. No games installed on my computers, and as mentioned, the PS2 collects a lot of dust.

Also, back to Sony/PS3, I don't think that arrogance from the marketing department (of which there has been plenty) should be extrapolated to indicate arrogance from the rest of company. Their engineers are pretty amazing, and regarding the "just a consolation line from Sony players" about the platform having legs, well... First, since I don't own a PS3, can't really apply that to me. And second, the PS1 and 2 demonstrated this, the original Xbox really didn't have a lot of people saying how much the programming improved over the lifespan of the platform. Microsoft deliberately chooses to use current and previous generation hardware to make it easier to program and cheaper to buy. Neither approach is right or wrong, and obviously the MSFT approach gets a lot of hardware and software out into the market in a hurry, while the PS 1 and 2 had much longer lifespans than the original Xbox in part because there was enough power in them to keep them viable against the competition over a longer period of time.

(I'm coming at this from an engineering perspective, not a gamer perspective. Again, neither being the "right" one, just different ones.).
    Thats ok, secretly I have been putting my eye on a PS3. Not for the games, but as a cheap BR player. But my wife would kill me as we have gifts for the kiddies to get in December.

And not to belabor the point, but the original XBOX had MUCH more power than the PS2. Graphically it was far superior (consider GTA3 on both platforms...XBOX killed the PS2). And the online environment? Forget Sony, MS had that nailed. And an installed storage? Again the nod goes to MS. Sony had the token HD, but it was never to be used again after Final Fantasy (7 i belive). However, as far as installed base goes, Sony was heads and shoulders above MS in sales. It was MUCH easier for MS to kill the program because the base was so small. For Sony the base is HUGE, so why kill the golden goose? But that brings us back to the original question. At what point does continuing to support/develop for the PS2 cut into PS3 installation?

I can't disagree between engineering and marketing. I own several Sony products, 37" plasma, and a DVD camcorder, portable DVD player... But engineering isn't making public statements. Marketing is, and they have in the past been plenty arrogant.

------------

I guess I skipped the customary introduction:

IT Guy
    2001 Subaru Imprezza Outback Sport
    Marin FPS Mountain Bike
    37" Westinghouse 1080p LCD
    Oppo 970HD 1080i DVD player
    DIrecTV H20-100
    Anthem AVM-30 Pre-pro
    Mac Mini (G4 now, Intel by this weekend) Media Center
    Gefen HDMI/DVI Switch
    Mackie HR824 / HR624 / HR626 monitors
    Hey, do you have the new HD channels by DirecTV yet? Mine just began rolling in a couple of weeks ago. I'm up to about 40 HD channels, and its SWEET.

And thanks for responding. Now, I'm going out to the mailbox to collect my check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information