Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Sir T - 10
    Pixel - 0 minus at least 100 for using all CAPS in inappropriate PLACES.
    WHEN WE NEED A monkey for a referee we will call the zoo.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    WHEN WE NEED A monkey for a referee we will call the zoo.
    Gotta mouse in your pocket there...?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Angry

[QUOTE=Sir Terrence the Terrible]

So how does this comment square with this?

These phospers degrade over time, their response time lenghtens.

Since we know phosphers fire immediatly, and plasma's don't have response time issues - either you are lying, or you don't know what the hell you are talking about. I am going for both here.
    You dont know what I am talking about because you don't know anything about the subject, as usual.
    EVERY TIME A PHOSPER LIGHTS, IT IS USED UP A LITTLE.
    Get it?
    Like you used up your brain cells a long time ago.
    Which means they dim over time

The half life of a CRT is ten years when the set is properly calibrated. Even then you are able to compensate for falling saturation in colors, so this is just a BS answer. You don't even calibrate your sets, so how can you tell is nobody else can? More BS.
    THIS is like a politician saying there's plenty of food, but we will run out in a week.
    CRTS dont have a constant "half life", as this depends on what the brightness control
    is set at, and since most owners set them full blast, to make up for their dimness,
    ten years is very optimistic.
    MOST ARE so dim after ten years as to be unwatchable.
    SINCE some on this site are always crying that PQ is key, how they could watch such a picture in a puzzle

And when LCD's get dimmer, it affects color accuracy and saturation. So what is your false point?
    LCDS DON'T GET "DIMMER"
    Thats the answer to your false statement

That fade is completely unnoticable at four years. BS alert, BS alert!!!
    Thanks for the BS alert, since this is BS

How do you know most perfer brighter over more accurate respesentation of colors, and no panel lag? How do you know what most perfer, did you channel everyone who has purchased a set? BS, BS!!!
    Most prefer a brighter set, how do I KNOW?
    Because , as anybody knows, when CRT was king, first thing you did after buying one, was to turn down the contrast, which was turned all the way up.
    This was the default that all manufacturers built their sets to run at.
    Everybody on this site know about it, why are you denying it? And its the reason that LCD
    is kicking plasmas BUTT, among a zillion other things

You need to go back to the school you learned about televisions, and tell them your are twice as stupid after taking the class than your were before doing so.
    WHICH would mean I am still twice as smart as you.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.
    Coming from a know nothing who ius clueless
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    But only after 1,500 hrs (9 months) of operation?

There must a design flaw in their 2009 plasma line up. The author mentioned that 2005 Panasonic plasma they had (beside Pioneer plasma) also showed no increase in black level.
    The design flaw is that its a PLASMA.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    First I want to thank Wooch for taking the words right out of my mouth
    Secondly, we really do not know if this guys television was properly calibrated in the first place. If the contrast is set too high, you can have some deterioration very quickly, which is why it is recommended you properly calibrate your set.

In reading how they tested the televisions, one has got to wonder about a few things. One thing I learned from Joe Kane is when you test televisions for dynamic range, you must be in a completely black room with all black clothes on. Any white, or light colors in the room, the test becomes contaminated as the set whites reflect off of your clothing.

Lastly, this is not a panel issue, its a electronic processing issue which can be correct via a firmware update. That means if there is a problem, it can be corrected quickly when they get around to it.
    Its a caught lying issue.
    Firmware or panel, its meant to create a atypical black level that the set cannot sub stain even over a few years, for no other reason than to fool customers and reveiwers,
    and give know nothings like talky something to hit LCD users over the head with
    while propagandizing plasma over LCD. HOW MANY TIMES have I heard about
    the "Superior" blacks that plasma has over LCD? TURNS OUT IT WAS JUST A CON.
    So whats the next scandal going to be concerning this idiotic form factor?
    Will PANASONIC be able to fight off the lawsuits with enough propaganda until they get their investment back? Stay tuned.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Its a caught lying issue.
    Firmware or panel, its meant to create a atypical black level that the set cannot sub stain even over a few years, for no other reason than to fool customers and reveiwers,
    and give know nothings like talky something to hit LCD users over the head with
    while propagandizing plasma over LCD. HOW MANY TIMES have I heard about
    the "Superior" blacks that plasma has over LCD? TURNS OUT IT WAS JUST A CON.
    So whats the next scandal going to be concerning this idiotic form factor?
    Will PANASONIC be able to fight off the lawsuits with enough propaganda until they get their investment back? Stay tuned.
    Still avoiding talking about the dimming of the CCFL backlight huh. The Kuros panel does not have this issue, and the article confirmed that. There is no consumer LCD on the market that can come close to touching the Kuro's panels when it comes to black levels. So no it was not a con. Samsung's plasma's also have better blacks than any LCD panel, and Samsung's plasma's don't have this issue - so no it was not a con.

Even with the elevated black levels, Panasonic's plasma's still outperform a huge majority of the LCD panels out there - so no, it was not a con.

As long as you have to have a backlight on full time, you are going to have panel light leakage(of some sort) and black levels will always be more elevated than plasmas(which have no back light, and no issue of light leakage. LED back light help a lot, but introduce halos around light objects on a completely dark background. Unless they can come up with a way to replicate the amount of back lights to the amount found on Sony professional back lit models(over 4,000 tiny RGB LED modules), this problem will continue to persist. Unfortunately, it is probably not feasible, so another band aid will have to be applied. I can't wait to see what that is myself.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I think someone in this thread said a CRT lasts 10 years. All our CRTs have lasted longer than that. Mostly Sonys, but my current TV is a Panasonic GAOO 32" CRT and it's at 10 years right now and still going strong. If the picture quality is fading I can't tell...colors are still vibrant and the picture is still sharp. It averages around 4 hours of use per day. I probably won't replace it until it dies.
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Still avoiding talking about the dimming of the CCFL backlight huh. The Kuros panel does not have this issue, and the article confirmed that. There is no consumer LCD on the market that can come close to touching the Kuro's panels when it comes to black levels. So no it was not a con. Samsung's plasma's also have better blacks than any LCD panel, and Samsung's plasma's don't have this issue - so no it was not a con.
    Yeah, lets talk about the fluorescents that light a LCD.
    simple tech that has been around for decades, if one does break its a few bucks to replace. A PLASMA PANEL breaking kills the set, its so expensive to replace
    FLUORESCENTS LAST SO LONG, that the only reason they usually fail is that the
    ballast (or step up transformer) dies.
    I worked in a factory for seven years, ion building maintenance, and we never had one fail, not once
    You must be desperate to want to talk about the life of a fluorescent tube, things last
    longer than the devil.
    But even they are outlived by LED backlights, which are gradually replacing them.
    LED will outlive the set

Even with the elevated black levels, Panasonic's plasma's still outperform a huge majority of the LCD panels out there - so no, it was not a con.
    YES IT WAS, because those "elevated " black levels fade after 15 months.
    LET THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG ON THAT ONE

As long as you have to have a backlight on full time, you are going to have panel light leakage(of some sort) and black levels will always be more elevated than plasmas(which have no back light, and no issue of light leakage. LED back light help a lot, but introduce halos around light objects on a completely dark background. Unless they can come up with a way to replicate the amount of back lights to the amount found on Sony professional back lit models(over 4,000 tiny RGB LED modules), this problem will continue to persist. Unfortunately, it is probably not feasible, so another band aid will have to be applied. I can't wait to see what that is myself.
    And as long as you have plasma sets you will have plasma fanboys touting their false virtues, like a black level that lasts as long as a fruit-fly, a picture that you think looks good only because its what you're used to, phosper based in other words, and an unproven lifespan, so you can claim pretty much anything for that.
    There is no more reason for a plasma tv than there is a need for a Stanly steamer car
    after Ford invented the model T, creating a plasma in your living room is a ridiculous
    way of doing things, and its doomed to extinction, as soon as PANASONIC runs outta
    lawyers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information