Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Got something against strawmen?
    I love the smell of straw men roasting in the morning.

rw

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    First of all, my preferences (along with yours) have nothing to do with stating that which is supported by facts. While I recommend to friends that they buy BR, there are millions of video viewers who have not. Surely you understand that. You have made two incorrect statements:

1. DVD is dead. It is most alive in both players and content.
    You call it alive because you are looking only on the surface of the market. As long as your beady eyes can see a player, you believe the market is healthy. So by your logic, HD DVD is alive, Laserdisc is alive, and VHS is alive. There are players and content on the market for all of these formats.

2. One MUST have BR to enjoy the convenience of HDMI cabling.
    I never said that. Do you want to try again? I said HDMI is the choice cabling for Blu ray. There is a difference.

Neither assertion is true today. It is that simple. What may be the case in 2011 has still to be determined. Someone reading your posts might think that either notion is the case. They are not. Some people have stated that vinyl is dead. Similarly, such is not supported by fact. There is both new content available in that format and there is ongoing hardware development. Believe what you will despite those pesky facts.
    E-stat, only on this forum do I see people arguing on the death of DVD. On other boards everyone understands this is a predetermined fact. It is going, and going quickly based on player and disc sales. Since you have chosen to side step the concept of transitional period, there is no point in rehashing this point over and over again. DVD is dead. There is no hardware development, and hasn't been any for years. If you call upscaling product development, then you do not understand marketing 101. DVD replicators are going out of business or scaling back. Fewer players are being manufactured by fewer vendors. The major CE companies no longer make their own players, they have been out of that business for years. Sales of discs and players have been on the down swing for 5 years all over the world. There is no catalog content left to release, and no mature format can survive on new releases alone. Everything points to format death. Now whether you can understand this or not is irrelevant. For some reason I am not surprised that you are defending the DVD format. DVD, two channel, I guess it is tough for you to let dying things go.

I think you fundamentally miss the direction of my posts. They are independent of my preferences. I'm sure that it boggles your mind that anyone would purchase a DVD today when they could get better quality with Blu Ray. I would agree. I am equally amazed why it is that millions of people buy lossy, compressed, swishy sounding 128k MP3s from iTunes, Amazon, etc. Don't they know any better? Regardless of my perspective, I nevertheless observe that is the case. Just like the fact that folks continue to buy DVD movies and players. Why else would the studios continue to offer their latest content in that way? Why not force the issue and cut off DVD production? I have to think that your employer along with other studios seems to believe that they would lose money if they took that approach today. Who knows?

rw
    Just like in the other thread your motivation is showing. You are arguing just for the sake of arguing, and that $hit is boring. Why in the hell does somebody argue independent of their preference? That is because they are arguing just for the hell of it.

People buy 128k MP3's because the format is portable plain and simple. Unlike us antiques, people do not sit and listen to music anymore, that is a fact. People who are left buying DVD players are replacing previous players, and people buying DVD disc are feeding DVD players they already own. This is the same behavior they did when DVD came. It took many folks quite a while to let go of their VHS machines and buy a DVD player. VHS had the benefit of being able to record television programming, and that extended its life a bit longer until Tivo came along. Many just like you were in denial that VHS would die, but it did. However DVD recording has not been explored, and tivo is firmly entrenched in many homes. The fact that a Blu ray player can play DVD's, and Blu ray player prices are getting close to that of DVD players shows me that DVD will die faster than VHS did.

Secondly, it is not good business to introduce a new format, and sunset a well entrenched format prematurely. It is better to collect revenue from two formats, than from one format - especially when one is dying. It is smarter to just let the format die to the point where it becomes irrelevant on the market. Another 25% sales loss, and that goal will be reached. In the first two months of this year the DVD market contracted another 13%, while the Blu ray market expanded 76%. You must be blind if you cannot read the handwriting on the wall. Anyone inquiring about DVD now(after thirteen years on the market) is late to the party, as it is almost over. If it wasn't for the format war(of which Toshiba wanted to extend the life of DVD to continue to collect its royalties), DVD would be well out the door by now. Nobody who understand the industry(of which apparently don't) would argue against that point.

Much like in the other thread, you are wasting my time arguing against your preference(which is kind of retarded to me). Your bullet points are becoming monotonous, circular, and increasingly shallow. As I have stated before, I have no patience for shallowness, and the lack of critical thinking. You can believe what you choose, but you are not going to change my perspective one bit, so with that, it is time to move on.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    There are players and content on the market for all of these formats.
    New content. You know, that stuff folks want to buy. You will not be able to purchase Avatar on VHS nor Laser Disc.

It is going...
    As will BR when its successor takes hold. No debate there.

Sales of discs and players have been on the down swing for 5 years all over the world.
    Yet, oddly you can continue to buy new content on DVD everywhere. While new players still use the same format, they are now cheaper and more convenient using HDMI cabling. Obviously, there are folks who find that compelling.

You are arguing just for the sake of arguing
    What I've done is point out your straw men inaccuracies.

Why in the hell does somebody argue independent of their preference? That is because they are arguing just for the hell of it.
    Sorry, I was always taught it is wrong to lie. My preferences have no bearing upon that which is true and that which is not.

People buy 128k MP3's because the format is portable plain and simple.
    So is all of the lossless content I have on my iPhone. Difference=quality.

People who are left buying DVD players are replacing previous players, and people buying DVD disc are feeding DVD players they already own.
    Absolutely!

VHS had the benefit of being able to record television programming, and that extended its life a bit longer until Tivo came along.
    So can my DVD recorder. My wife uses the DVR to time shift all her programs. Those we want to retain, we burn to DVDR.

Many just like you were in denial that VHS would die, but it did.
    I was quick to enjoy the convenience of the DVD format and MC audio tracks. Tapes had to be rewound, they died and none I found offered the 16:9 format unless it was letterboxed.

Blu ray player prices are getting close to that of DVD players shows me that DVD will die faster than VHS did.
    When it happens, it happens. I will look forward to $30 BR players.

Secondly, it is not good business to introduce a new format, and sunset a well entrenched format prematurely.
    This is what I have been saying all along. I don't believe for a moment that the studios are fools because they continue to release new content on DVD.

Much like in the other thread, you are wasting my time arguing against your preference(which is kind of retarded to me).
    I have pointed out inaccuracies in your posts. Don't you remember saying this earlier in the post?

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 03-21-2010 at 08:37 AM.

New content. You know, that stuff folks want to buy. You will not be able to purchase Avatar on VHS nor Laser Disc.

As will BR when its successor takes hold. No debate there.

Yet, oddly you can continue to buy new content on DVD everywhere. While new players still use the same format, they are now cheaper and more convenient using HDMI cabling. Obviously, there are folks who find that compelling.

What I've done is point out your straw men inaccuracies.

Sorry, I was always taught it is wrong to lie. My preferences have no bearing upon that which is true and that which is not.

So is all of the lossless content I have on my iPhone. Difference=quality.

Absolutely!

So can my DVD recorder. My wife uses the DVR to time shift all her programs. Those we want to retain, we burn to DVDR.

I was quick to enjoy the convenience of the DVD format and MC audio tracks. Tapes had to be rewound, they died and none I found offered the 16:9 format unless it was letterboxed.

When it happens, it happens. I will look forward to $30 BR players.

This is what I have been saying all along. I don't believe for a moment that the studios are fools because they continue to release new content on DVD.

I have pointed out inaccuracies in your posts. Don't you remember saying this earlier in the post?

rw
    E-stat, you have pointed out nothing except that your perspective on this issue is shortsighted and shallow.

Here is the reality. There is no point in trying to make me wrong on this issue because we simply look at things from a different perspective. Your perspective only looks at the here and now, and nothing else. I am looking at the whole big picture over time, because I have history to support my beliefs, and the hard data as well.

You made your point, I made mine whether you think it is wrong or not. You think you are right, and I think you are half right. That is not going to change, so to keep belaboring the point over and over is a waste of time. Since I know what your true motivation is(which was apparent in the 35k cable thread, the thread in the home theater forum, and now this one) is to prove me wrong at every turn you can. I have no interest in immature pissing contests, of which any engagement we have always degrades to. If you do not like my views, cool. At this point I think it is perfectly fine if you never respond to my postings, and I never respond to yours. It is sorely apparent this is no love lost here.

When two people have this much contempt for each other, it is best they don't interact. I am perfectly okay with this, are you?
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Your perspective only looks at the here and now, and nothing else.
    Such is what the rest of us call *reality*. Perhaps you've been spending too much time in the Magic Castle.

I made mine whether you think it is wrong or not.
    What you state are (reasonable) projections of what is to come, not that which is.

Since I know what your true motivation is...to prove me wrong at every turn you can.
    There is a wonderfully simple solution - support your claims with substance as I have!

Your approach to things reminds of the Jack Nicholson line from "A Few Good Men". "You can't handle the truth."

rw

Such is what the rest of us call *reality*. Perhaps you've been spending too much time in the Magic Castle.

What you state are (reasonable) projections of what is to come, not that which is.

There is a wonderfully simple solution - support your claims with substance as I have!

rw
    I think I have supported my claims with substance, and you continue over and over with yours. Here we go round in circles as Billy Preston puts it.

We look at things from a different perspective. That is the only thing gained from this debate.

You are completely predictable, and your motivations so totally transparent. I pretty clear what this is REALLY about.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 03-21-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I think I have supported my claims with substance...
    Can you handle the truth? My guess is that the answer remains no. Since you brought up the cable link, let's see whether or not you will actually support your claim with substance. Clear your conflicting statements then support your claim that "no name" cables offer the same performance as others with substance. Examples. Data. Links. We're still waiting for you to provide some evidence.

Naturally, you will once again fail and either (1) attempt to divert attention with some tactic or (2) use your "It's none of your business" excuse. The Dog Ate My Homework. Can you do any better than that this time? Responding with real data is very easy for those who have real experience and know what they are talking about.

rw

Can you handle the truth? My guess is that the answer remains no. Since you brought up the cable link, let's see whether or not you will actually support your claim with substance. Clear your conflicting statements then support your claim that "no name" cables offer the same performance as others with substance. Examples. Data. Links. We're still waiting for you to provide some evidence.
    I have already made my attentions perfectly clear by not responding to your demands. Take the hint and move on.

Naturally, you will once again fail and either (1) attempt to divert attention with some tactic or (2) use your "It's none of your business" excuse. The Dog Ate My Homework. Can you do any better than that this time? Responding with real data is very easy for those who have real experience and know what they are talking about.

rw[/QUOTE]

How about a third option. I am going to not respond to your posting in the future. That is the best you are going to get from he. We do not see eye to eye about anything, so that means we have nothing to discuss on anything PERIOD. Cannot agree= stalemate. Stalemate=disengagement.

I have already made it perfectly clear how I was not going to respond to your posting any more. If you are having a hard time with this, get some help. This is the best advice I can give you.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I have already made it perfectly clear how I was not going to respond to your posting any more.
    You continue to prove my point that you make claims with no substantiation. No surprise here. Folds again.

rw

A video expert pointed out that "Many folks love the fact they have the ability to view a copy on their HDTV's, and take a copy on the road to view on a PC or portable DVD player. "

Obviously, one cannot do that unless you buy the combo. Right?

rw
    And yet your meme falls apart when comparable examples are used, which explains why you selectively misquoted me the way that you did.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    And yet your meme falls apart ...
    I will not be adding The Princess and the Frog to my collection.

rw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information