Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Everybody boycott Monster Cable!

I encourage everyone to stop buying moster cable products. They are sueing other companies for the reason of them having the word 'monster' in their company name. How stupid is that. Such as: discovery channel for 'monster garage', the band monster magnet, plus many more. Check out:

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?q...roducts&page=1

Maybe I should start a company with a commonly used word then sue anyone else using the word????

i know i wont be buying any monster cable

Forum Regular
    here is a URL for protest against moster cable:

http://www.stopthemonster.com/

Audio Junkie
    I have no problem with that! I have been using other cables for years just so I didn't have to give them any of my money! I am still passing the word!

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well, I suppose...

...Boris Karloff's role in "Frankenstein( The Monster) is in jeopardy as is Mary W. Shelly's book of the same title...and then there is "Monsters Inc." and every DJ who has ever referred to something as a "monster hit" while on air...Although since "Monster Mash" predates the company's existence by a few decades they have some "set" to attempt court action...and then there is Bigfoot, the Undertaker and all the Monster Trucks...

Probably all for the press quotient...there is only one thing worse than being talked about...and that is not being talked about...ooops! that was one of Wilde's...

jimHJJ(...and after all it's only wire...)

Audio Junkie
    Let's not forget Cookie Monster from Sesame Street could be in danger of becoming extinct in the wake of Monster's (can I write their name without the registered trademark symbol and their expressed permission?) lawsuits. And what about Monster.com? Sureley there's an infringement if ever there was one!

Noel Lee of Monster Cable has already replied to the accusations of them sueing other companies that use the word "Monster". He says it is simply not true. Monster is NOT sueing anyone. These are all just rumors. His response can be read somewhere on this forum, as well as in several other forums. Again, Monster Cable has not sued, or has no intentions of sueing anyone. They are all just rumors.
    Visit my site for more stereos:
    www.jimmyneutron.org

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by derekwwww
    I encourage everyone to stop buying moster cable products. They are sueing other companies for the reason of them having the word 'monster' in their company name. How stupid is that. Such as: discovery channel for 'monster garage', the band monster magnet, plus many more. Check out:

Maybe I should start a company with a commonly used word then sue anyone else using the word????

I've been boycotting all the exotic cable manufacturers! I don't need that sort of audio jewellery. Monster, Kimber, Nordost, etc.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

...if you visit the site ref'd to in the original post, you'll see the words defendent and plaintiff...now I ain't claimin' to be no legal-eagle, but dem sounds like adversarial terms where I come from...even if it's only some sort of objection to trademark/copyright cr@pola...

jimHJJ(...where is Phil Tower when you actually need him...)

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rycher
    Noel Lee of Monster Cable has already replied to the accusations of them sueing other companies that use the word "Monster". He says it is simply not true. Monster is NOT sueing anyone. These are all just rumors. His response can be read somewhere on this forum, as well as in several other forums. Again, Monster Cable has not sued, or has no intentions of sueing anyone. They are all just rumors.
    So you think that his denial is all that's needed to dispel all of those horrid rumours? The day that I would believe anything that Mr. Lee says, is the very same day that I'd sit myself down to write a letter to dear old Santa Claus! The man is sorely lacking in ethics, scruples, and morals, IMO.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular

I boycotted them years ago when I found their product to be crappy sounding. This is just another reason to do so.

I don't know the man personaly, but I've never been one to believe in rumors. Fact is Monster makes a decent product, albeit a pricey one - but so are many other things in our commerce. I choose to stand at the sidelines and with hold my judgement until I know for a fact that these rumors are true. Until that happens I won't waste my time trying to "boycott" or "fight" the Monster. SONY is another big company that ADMITTEDLY does things to detract and screw-over the consumer. They put out a new product (SACD) targeted to replace the aging CD, yet produce a handful of "converted" PCM remasters, and then use scare-tactics and put out false (?) rumors of them pulling out of the SACD market. They also try to stronghold the flash memory market by introducing their own memory stick that can only be used on their products. They did the same thing with the VHS vs. Beta thing, and countless other technologies. If anyone needs to be boycotted, it should be SONY.
    Visit my site for more stereos:
    www.jimmyneutron.org

VHS and Beta. Sony slit it's own wrists on this one.

Actually, Sony had beta on the market for quite some time before VHS hit. Sony sat on Beta technology and, I think the licensing fees were exhorbatent.

VHS technology was the result of several other companies getting together and rather than play Sony's game, in unison, developed and released several players that used this new format to compete with Sony AND had greater playing time than Beta.

Then Sony came out with better sound and this bought them a little time.

I'll forgive the VHS camp for their short lived, stop gap solution of having the linear sound tracks Dolby encoded. Then ALL the VHS manufacturers came out with VHS Hi-Fi. Vhs Hi-Fi rocked! ...and, with DPLs it still does for intents and purposes.

Some still swear that Beta was a better format but, by this time, it worked itself into a marketing corner. Eventually, it dies a quiet, barely mourned death.

Now, had Sony chose to license their Beta technology to other companies at workable figures, I'm sure it would still be around and may well have kicked VHS's butt. Licensing is good. Just ask Ray Dolby and George Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Actually, Sony had beta on the market for quite some time before VHS hit. Sony sat on Beta technology and, I think the licensing fees were exhorbatent.

VHS technology was the result of several other companies getting together and rather than play Sony's game, in unison, developed and released several players that used this new format to compete with Sony AND had greater playing time than Beta.

Then Sony came out with better sound and this bought them a little time.

I'll forgive the VHS camp for their short lived, stop gap solution of having the linear sound tracks Dolby encoded. Then ALL the VHS manufacturers came out with VHS Hi-Fi. Vhs Hi-Fi rocked! ...and, with DPLs it still does for intents and purposes.

Some still swear that Beta was a better format but, by this time, it worked itself into a marketing corner. Eventually, it dies a quiet, barely mourned death.

Now, had Sony chose to license their Beta technology to other companies at workable figures, I'm sure it would still be around and may well have kicked VHS's butt. Licensing is good. Just ask Ray Dolby and George Lucas.
    Absolutely right, I sold both Beta and VHS machines and one day we decided to compare them side by side. We used 2 25' Proton monitors which were set up to look identical and compared two copies of the same film. The fact that everyone agreed that the Beta picture was better simply reinforces the poor marketing and decision making of Sony. The other issue was recording time VHS had more and that's what people wanted. I owned both for years until the Beta died. Unfortunately we are being presented with the same silliness in both video formats Blu-Ray vs DVD-HD and audio formats SACD vs DVD-A. When will they ever learn.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Audio Junkie
    Sony, Cisco, Monster...They are all guilty of the same thing...appealing to the masses and gaining market share based on name recognition. Yes, each respective company has good, if not great great products (in some respects) but the simple fact is you can get the same quality at lower prices andmost of us know this.

Whether Monster is sueing other companies/people or not, we will never make a dent in their sales when they are all over Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy, Tweeters, Magnolia Hi Fi, and millions of other A/V stores out there and the masses recognize that name.

Add to that this real scientific test reported in USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-sidebar_x.htm

We are nothing more than a flea on an enormous dog butt!

Still...I don't buy Monster, never have, never will and I will never recommend them to anyone!

Don't forget to view all 10 pages in This Link. I know the initial list only shows 5 pages...but just keep viewing them and you'll bring up page 6...then 7...then 8...and so on. Like I said...10 in all.

Heck, they even went after Da Bears for its MONSTERS OF THE MIDWAY phrase...MONSTER TRUCK MANIA is another favorite.

Since the above link only deals with trademark issues...you can also go here and search their civil lawsuits.

dan
    Last edited by gonefishin; 01-19-2005 at 10:18 PM.

enjoy the music!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Okay, I am down with the boycott. Do I have to pull and discard Monster Cables I purchased and installed several years ago in order to support the boycott?

Thanks!

Forum Regular
    Someone from Metallica get on Monsters board of directors?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Forum Regular
    Ok I'll add them to the list along with anything French.
    ARC VT100 MKIII , ARC LS-15 , Anthem PRE1P Phono Stage
    Acoustics Signature TT , Adcom GCD-750 CD
    Tascam 130 Cassette Deck ,Transparent Audio Plus Speaker Cable , Transparent Audio Plus Balanced interconnects
    Martin Logan Ascents , HG 10 SX Velodyne Sub
    Pioneer TX-9100 Tuner

Buy Acoustic Research cables and accessories instead. They make fantastic A/V accessories in a variety of lines from entry level to their Master Series.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    So you think that his denial is all that's needed to dispel all of those horrid rumours? The day that I would believe anything that Mr. Lee says, is the very same day that I'd sit myself down to write a letter to dear old Santa Claus! The man is sorely lacking in ethics, scruples, and morals, IMO.

Now while i agree that sueing people over silly crap like that is ridiculous. I have to say "more power to him". He makes tons of money selling products that are average for a high price. Hell, people badmouth BOSE too (incl. me) but they are in the bizz of making money. And it works. I would give almost anything to be in that position.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I havent visited this site since last summer sometime so this is the first that I have heard of this. I am certainly no legal expert, so Im wondering if somebody can clarify this. The cases listed in the original link are listed under the patent office web site. So are these actual lawsuits to the extent the common person such as myself thinks of them ? Or is it simply an attempt to monopolize the Monster name to gain royalties ? Or is it one in the same?

Regardless of which one, it sounds like a seriously misguided and inappropriate way to conduct a business. It certainly isnt going to win them any fans thats for sure. Its obvious that Monster is aware of this and reads the various A/V forums as the link to www.stopthemonster.com has literally been hijacked. You now get a letter defending Monster Cables actions. This in itself makes me suspicious.

With the A/V cable industry being viewed largely as a snake oil industry praying on the uninformed and/or the gullible, the last thing it needs is lawsuits that sound like something from the National Enquirer or the Jerry Springer Show.

Personally I dont like seeing this type of thing hurting our beloved past time. I think we as A/V enthusiasts owe it to ourselves to find out just what these actions by Monster really mean from a legal perspective, and put them into lay terms that we can understand. Then we will be able to turn this into a much more meaningful forum, and then decide whether a boycott is appropriate. Is there someone out there who can shed some light on this for us ? Or, if you know of someone who can, please have him/her contribute. Are there any volunteers?

AR ELITE MEMBER

While you are at the library learning good punctuation, you should also pick up one of the thousands of books on laws and rights that a company has on copyrights. If Noel Lee copyrighted MONSTER than he has legal rights to not allow it's use for profit from third parties. Are you honestly telling me that you would not buy Sony, Lexus, or Rolex products if they ever sue someone for illegal use of their copyrighted names. What next? Allow them to use their patents, ideas, or even products without their consent? From the company who made the trailer you live in to the wal-mart clothes you wear, THEY ALL PROTECT THEIR NAME WITH COPYRIGHTS.
    In addition, this is an audio review forum. People discuss the quality of products here, not their own petty personal agenda to bash corporate America. If you want to do that go join a Greenpeace or Adbusters. But beware, their names are copyrighted.

Forum Regular
    Is this thread real???

Rolex, Sony, Sears, et all are unique names. I don't know about Rolex, but the two other were actual people.

Problem is, the word "monster" and its various uses have been in common language for centuries. To claim such a common thing as your own and try to use the courts to eliminate all other use thereof is lunacy. The Courts should be disbanded for even allowing such a claim. There is nothing unique or creative about using "monster" to describe something. It is a word. It commonly used as an adjective to modify a noun. Same goes for "mega", "super", and "mondo,". All are common in language. May as well include "big" and "large".

&^$% it, I am going to claim copyright on the word "cable" and sue his butt off in return. Better yet, how about "the" or "and", that ought to be a hoot. Or the comma. That idea was mine too!

When do I get my money?

jocko

I Lead The Charge Here!!

Send me all your Monster EQ...thats right....ever lil peice...and I'll heap it all up...call the news boys...and put the gas to her!!...yeaaaa!!....

oh..would it be cool...if I...ah.....kinda sift through the demonic stuff and...well...ya know...I mean...it's all the devils work anyways...and...well...ah...ya know

SEND ALL MONSTER PRODUCTS TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS-

ThePogue
    6674 IlltakewhatIcan get Lane
    Forfree, Virginia 23072
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.