Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Superbit DVDs?

Superbit DVDs?

I recently went shopping for DVD with a partner in crime, of course and I pointed out to her the so-called Superbit DVDs that are supposed to have great picture and sound. I have never seen one yet. Not willing to experiment with my money, I convinced her to buy a superbit Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (I know, I'm such a bastard). Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to see for myself how great the superbits really are. But my question is this: If superbit DVDs are supposed to be so great and there are just under 50 available titles, why are there some many awful movies put out on superbit? For instance: Resident Evil, Jet Li, The One, Hollow Man, Anaconda. Is that supposed to make us home theater enthusiasts take this format seriously? I mean I wouldn't buy Resident Evil even if it were the best sound/picture mix known to the history of mankind. What are these companies thinking?

Forum Regular

I've wondered the same...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I recently went shopping for DVD with a partner in crime, of course and I pointed out to her the so-called Superbit DVDs that are supposed to have great picture and sound. I have never seen one yet. Not willing to experiment with my money, I convinced her to buy a superbit Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (I know, I'm such a bastard). Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to see for myself how great the superbits really are. But my question is this: If superbit DVDs are supposed to be so great and there are just under 50 available titles, why are there some many awful movies put out on superbit? For instance: Resident Evil, Jet Li, The One, Hollow Man, Anaconda. Is that supposed to make us home theater enthusiasts take this format seriously? I mean I wouldn't buy Resident Evil even if it were the best sound/picture mix known to the history of mankind. What are these companies thinking?
    Although I feel most of the movies available in Superbit are not worth owning (or even watching once, like Resident Evil and Anaconda), there are a few selections that are sheer quality: Panic Room, Das Boot, Snatch and The Fifth Element come to mind. PR is a great movie, the video transfer is top notch and the soundfield is quite involving. DB is one of the great war movies of all time. Many will agree that this disc has one of the best audio mixes ever. Snatch is a clever little number with a good finish; picture is superb. 5thE has an amazing audio mix and some killer .1 information.

It may follow a similar track as DTS. When DTS discs were first released, the titles were few and far between. Today, DTS is thriving and most enthusiasts including myself would prefer a DTS mastered disc. SuperBit is rather young and I'm hoping it will flourish.

THOB

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Yeah, Ive also wondered the same thing too.....although I have not bought a Superbit DVD yet, there were a couple of good titles that I really wanted but didnt buy because I didnt see shelling out the extra cash for DTS sound when I already had the Dolby Digital versions which sounded powerful enough; two come to mind here: The Patriot and John Carpenter's Vampires. Both of these, released by Columbia, sound pretty awesome in standard 5.1 DD, and so I didnt see the need for stepping up to the apparently (from what I read) similar sounding DTS Superbit versions; picture quality is another thing. I dont think, on MY 27" screen, Im going to see the vast quality differences some of these Superbit titles boast.

Well, it just has to do with how many crummy movies that Sony/Columbia has released in recent years!

In general, I've found some subtle picture quality improvements with the Superbit discs I've bought (Lawrence of Arabia and Crouching Tiger), but from what I've read on this and other boards, Superbit makes the biggest difference on large HD screens. The other area of improvement is with the inclusion of DTS soundtracks, which I almost always prefer

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Well, it just has to do with how many crummy movies that Sony/Columbia has released in recent years!

In general, I've found some subtle picture quality improvements with the Superbit discs I've bought (Lawrence of Arabia and Crouching Tiger), but from what I've read on this and other boards, Superbit makes the biggest difference on large HD screens. The other area of improvement is with the inclusion of DTS soundtracks, which I almost always prefer
    Oh, true, Wooch....I always prefer DTS as well, but some titles, like the ones I mentioned, The Patriot and Vampires, I didnt THINK would actually benefit greatly from DTS soundtracks instead of their already great sounding DD 5.1 mixes, thats all I meant. The DD mixes already sounded powerful and engaging, and I didnt believe DTS would improve all that much for the money they were asking for the titles.

Dee
    AR Newbie Registered Member

superbit DVD

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Funny, I too went shopping for DVDs , my so called "friend" led me to the superbit dvds and since I did not have the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in my collection, yes, he convinced me to buy it. It really did not take much convincing from him,I am a DTS fanatic, I wanted to see if there was a difference. Watched it this past weekend and I saw little difference in picture quality, sound was great, but my sound system is great anyway. Bottom line not worth the money. But I hope my friend enjoyed the movie at my expense. Good save Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    Funny, I too went shopping for DVDs , my so called "friend" led me to the superbit dvds and since I did not have the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in my collection, yes, he convinced me to buy it. It really did not take much convincing from him,I am a DTS fanatic, I wanted to see if there was a difference. Watched it this past weekend and I saw little difference in picture quality, sound was great, but my sound system is great anyway. Bottom line not worth the money. But I hope my friend enjoyed the movie at my expense. Good save Paul

Of course I enjoyed it, but have to agree that I didn't notice any profound difference. Maybe when you plunk down your life savings for a flat panel we can revist the superbit debate.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Your guys are missing the point of Superbit

Superbit improvements are not noticed on analog televisions. The downconversion process keeps that from happening. Improvements will also not be noticed on televisions 36" and smaller. Superbit DVD's are aimed at consumers with progressive scan DVD players and either high end front projection systems, or digital large screen rear projection systems.

You also have to know what you are looking for when it comes to improvements in the video quality. If you don't know what video '"ringing" looks like, then you probably won't notice that most have little or none. If you don't know what video "halo" is, then you probably won't notice any improvement.

The point I am trying to make is you have to know what to look for in order to notice improvements.

One person who commented should get a SPL meter and actually calibrate his sound system before commenting on the audio of any DVD title. How in the heck are you supposed to hear the difference between audio formats without this basic tenet being followed.

The quality of the mastering done on both audio and video(depending on the up keep of the printmaster) is a bit better than on the "average" DVD.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Superbit improvements are not noticed on analog televisions. The downconversion process keeps that from happening. Improvements will also not be noticed on televisions 36" and smaller. Superbit DVD's are aimed at consumers with progressive scan DVD players and either high end front projection systems, or digital large screen rear projection systems.

You also have to know what you are looking for when it comes to improvements in the video quality. If you don't know what video '"ringing" looks like, then you probably won't notice that most have little or none. If you don't know what video "halo" is, then you probably won't notice any improvement.

The point I am trying to make is you have to know what to look for in order to notice improvements.

One person who commented should get a SPL meter and actually calibrate his sound system before commenting on the audio of any DVD title. How in the heck are you supposed to hear the difference between audio formats without this basic tenet being followed.

The quality of the mastering done on both audio and video(depending on the up keep of the printmaster) is a bit better than on the "average" DVD.

Calibrated however it may be, on my particular system, the standard Dolby Digital mix sounded fine for "The Patriot" and "John Carpenters Vampires", two DVDs which are offered in Superbit; all I was saying was that I didnt think, based on what I experienced with the aggressive Dolby Digital mixes of these films, that these soundtracks needed to be improved upon IMHO via DTS offerings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Calibrated however it may be, on my particular system, the standard Dolby Digital mix sounded fine for "The Patriot" and "John Carpenters Vampires", two DVDs which are offered in Superbit; all I was saying was that I didnt think, based on what I experienced with the aggressive Dolby Digital mixes of these films, that these soundtracks needed to be improved upon IMHO via DTS offerings as well.
    My question to you is how do you know that these soundtracks won't have a subtle improvement when encoded in Dts. Is this your educated observation, or just a uneducated guess?

What is sound fine?

Your sound fine may be my sound okay.

My suggestion is that you calibrate and actually listen to the Dts mixes. If you fine IYO that the mixes sound the same, then so be it. That is a educated observation even if others don't agree.

Doing reviews however good intentioned they are with a uncalibrated system is foolish. Reviewers have reference systems that allow them to see and hear every detail in the visual and audio. A uncalibrated system is unable to do any of this. Perhaps if you did, you wouldn't have to have every review sound like a broken " this soundtracks is okay" record when you post. You don't receive responses because a calibrated system will likely yield a much different result than yours. For instance you Juarassic Park schmeel. I got exactly opposite results than you did on my system. The roar of the dinosaur and its steps literally shook my room to pieces. You said the bass is not all that. I say that you should probably look at more than just the bass when doing audio reviews. Your thinking is one deminsional, my approach would be more detailed(bass, music, sound effects, dialog clarity, and imaging) which constitutes a deeper listening level.

If you audio is not calibrated, then it is likely your video is either. How can you talk about shadow detail, edge enhancement, halo(ing), sharpness, black levels and any other such subject if you set is incapable of producing any of these at a reasonable level?

These are just some thought for you to ponder. Now if you don't care about any of this, then don't expect to have any meaningful dialog about the quality of DVD's that you review. Why would anyone who has taken the time to calibrate their system want to have a dialog with someone who hasn't? Think about it.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Resident DVD Reviewer
    My question to you is how do you know that these soundtracks won't have a subtle improvement when encoded in Dts. Is this your educated observation, or just a uneducated guess?

What is sound fine?

Your sound fine may be my sound okay.

My suggestion is that you calibrate and actually listen to the Dts mixes. If you fine IYO that the mixes sound the same, then so be it. That is a educated observation even if others don't agree.

Doing reviews however good intentioned they are with a uncalibrated system is foolish. Reviewers have reference systems that allow them to see and hear every detail in the visual and audio. A uncalibrated system is unable to do any of this. Perhaps if you did, you wouldn't have to have every review sound like a broken " this soundtracks is okay" record when you post. You don't receive responses because a calibrated system will likely yield a much different result than yours. For instance you Juarassic Park schmeel. I got exactly opposite results than you did on my system. The roar of the dinosaur and its steps literally shook my room to pieces. You said the bass is not all that. I say that you should probably look at more than just the bass when doing audio reviews. Your thinking is one deminsional, my approach would be more detailed(bass, music, sound effects, dialog clarity, and imaging) which constitutes a deeper listening level.

If you audio is not calibrated, then it is likely your video is either. How can you talk about shadow detail, edge enhancement, halo(ing), sharpness, black levels and any other such subject if you set is incapable of producing any of these at a reasonable level?

These are just some thought for you to ponder. Now if you don't care about any of this, then don't expect to have any meaningful dialog about the quality of DVD's that you review. Why would anyone who has taken the time to calibrate their system want to have a dialog with someone who hasn't? Think about it.
    I dont really care who replies and who doesnt, and BELIEVE ME, Terrence --- PLENTY of people reply to my posts in other forums and on other sites regarding DVD reviews I do, and most agree with the sound results I am getting from these films --- I SWEAR TO YOU ON A DEAD RELATIVES' GRAVESITE that on Home Theater Forum.com, there was a THX engineer who claimed on Jurassic Park's DTS DVD, EVEN THE CORRECTED VERSION, the bass did not shake foundations on the T Rex scene as expected or as compared to other bass-rich soundtracks such as Dreamworks' The Haunting....I SWEAR I READ THIS....he even told people in the discussion about JP that DO NOT EXPECT, EVEN ON THE CORRECTED DISC, THE BASS TO RIVAL MODERN SOUNDTRACKS.....I am NOT the only one who feels this way about Jurassic Park; in fact, there is an online petition site for folks who feel the DTS LFE channel is STILL not up to par for so called demo quality sequences; they are petitioning LEE Marketing AND Universal Studios on this....I HAVE SEEN THE SITE.

My reviews are not really for others to comment on; they are pretty much there to share information with others on what I found on MY particular setup and see if others had likewise results; I dont care if I didnt get any replies, really, to the Jurassic Park post --- I get plenty of replies and quality, worthwhile insight in other forums and on the Favorite Films forum from the likes of Kelsci and others (who agrees with me that Godzilla was a terrible film and that Finding Nemo had a surprisingly refreshing 5.1 EX mix to name a couple of examples). Call it "shlock" or whatever it is you called it; still doesnt change the fact that millions of visitors to home theater forum read this gentleman's findings of Jurassic Park's continued DTS problem....even WITH my sub calibrated professionally over this past weekend.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    Just curious if you've got a good monitor to watch from. I noticed on my system that the Superbit DVD is head and shoulders above the other version that I have. Granted the other version is an overseas disk, but even so it is still a DVD. The bit rate on the overseas version averages about 3-4Mbps. The Superbit version averages about 8-9 Mbps.

I would doubt whether you'd see and hear a big difference if the bit rate on the non-superbit DVD is in the 8-9 range such as in movies like Gladiator, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc., but if you're comparing to some regular movies that have a very low 3-4 bit rate I think that you should be able to see and hear a difference.

I dont really care who replies and who doesnt, and BELIEVE ME, Terrence --- PLENTY of people reply to my posts in other forums and on other sites regarding DVD reviews I do, and most agree with the sound results I am getting from these films
    I think you are fooling yourself man. You have done about 8 reviews here, and have exactly zero responses on 7 of those, and maybe 2-3 responses on one. It is pretty easy to say on THIS sight that you get plenty on another site, but the proof is in the pudding.

--- I SWEAR TO YOU ON A DEAD RELATIVES' GRAVESITE that on Home Theater Forum.com, there was a THX engineer who claimed on Jurassic Park's DTS DVD, EVEN THE CORRECTED VERSION, the bass did not shake foundations on the T Rex scene as expected or as compared to other bass-rich soundtracks such as Dreamworks' The Haunting...

I have a big problem with this statement. As a engineer you understand that each soundtrack is unique to the movie story telling experience. It is stupid to compare the soundtrack of one genre of movie to a movie with a different storyline, and different genre altogether. Any competent engineer would not make the mistake of doing so. Also, since I own all three DVD's, I checked to see if THX approved the mastering of this DVD. It does not, so I highly doubt that ANY THX engineer would have any frame of reference regarding the DVD's soundtrack, and therefore cannot comment on its quality.

II SWEAR I READ THIS....he even told people in the discussion about JP that DO NOT EXPECT, EVEN ON THE CORRECTED DISC, THE BASS TO RIVAL MODERN SOUNDTRACKS....
    This statement is ambigous and means nothing really. No bass is consistant from movie to movie. It is presented in different amounts based on the mixer enterpretation of the action on the screen. To compare the amount of bass from one movie to the next is mixing apples with oranges. I know for a fact that the stomps in JP extend down to 20hz at very high levels. I have 1/3 octave spectrum analyzers on all of my channels including the LFE channel that tell me this. So by any standard it has as much deep bass as any movie of the same genre.

.I am NOT the only one who feels this way about Jurassic Park; in fact, there is an online petition site for folks who feel the DTS LFE channel is STILL not up to par for so called demo quality sequences; they are petitioning LEE Marketing AND Universal Studios on this....I HAVE SEEN THE SITE

Why in the hell would anyone petition a marketing company regarding the soundtrack of a move? They do not have any control of that AT ALL.. They cannot correct any soundtrack problems whatsoever. Can you provide a link to this sight so I can tell the people what fools they are!

.My reviews are not really for others to comment on; they are pretty much there to share information with others on what I found on MY particular setup and see if others had likewise results;
    How many others have YOUR particular setup? How many people have YOUR setup uncalibrated just like you do?
    Why would you think this information is valueable to others? Sharing information denotes an exchange of information. No one is responding to your reviews, so where is the exchange? 99% of the people on this site don't have YOUR setup uncalibrated as you do so just who is benefitting from this information?

. I dont care if I didnt get any replies, really, to the Jurassic Park post --- I get plenty of replies and quality, worthwhile insight in other forums and on the Favorite Films forum from the likes of Kelsci and others;
    Who are you fooling? Yourself? I can plainly see who has responded to your Jaurassic Park post. Where are these other forums? Can you provide a link?

. Call it "shlock" or whatever it is you called it; still doesnt change the fact that millions of visitors to home theater forum read this gentleman's findings of Jurassic Park's continued DTS problem..
    Millions of visitors may read the gentlemens comments regarding Jaurassic Park(which I think are wrong from the get go) but they are obviously not reading your reviews. This "problem" you mention is no problem at all. You are making this up. The soundtrack that is on the corrected DVD is one that was approved(and corrected) by Universal. So where is the problem?

. ...even WITH my sub calibrated professionally over this past weekend.
    Does it make sense to you to have your sub calibrated professionally, but not your other speakers? Something is not adding up here. What "professional" would agree to calibrate your sub, but neglect to calibrate you other speakers? If he did as you say, he(or she) is NOT a professional. How could he do this WITHOUT calibrating the other speakers? Most "professionals" calibrate the sub 3-5db louder than the center speaker. How could your "professional" do this when in your system the center speaker isn't even calibrated correctly. I think you are making this up also. I just want you to know that you are not fooling anyone here. Without any supporting evidence, you are seriously lacking in credibility.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Resident DVD Reviewer
    I think you are fooling yourself man. You have done about 8 reviews here, and have exactly zero responses on 7 of those, and maybe 2-3 responses on one. It is pretty easy to say on THIS sight that you get plenty on another site, but the proof is in the pudding.

I have a big problem with this statement. As a engineer you understand that each soundtrack is unique to the movie story telling experience. It is stupid to compare the soundtrack of one genre of movie to a movie with a different storyline, and different genre altogether. Any competent engineer would not make the mistake of doing so. Also, since I own all three DVD's, I checked to see if THX approved the mastering of this DVD. It does not, so I highly doubt that ANY THX engineer would have any frame of reference regarding the DVD's soundtrack, and therefore cannot comment on its quality.

This statement is ambigous and means nothing really. No bass is consistant from movie to movie. It is presented in different amounts based on the mixer enterpretation of the action on the screen. To compare the amount of bass from one movie to the next is mixing apples with oranges. I know for a fact that the stomps in JP extend down to 20hz at very high levels. I have 1/3 octave spectrum analyzers on all of my channels including the LFE channel that tell me this. So by any standard it has as much deep bass as any movie of the same genre.

Why in the hell would anyone petition a marketing company regarding the soundtrack of a move? They do not have any control of that AT ALL.. They cannot correct any soundtrack problems whatsoever. Can you provide a link to this sight so I can tell the people what fools they are!

How many others have YOUR particular setup? How many people have YOUR setup uncalibrated just like you do?
    Why would you think this information is valueable to others? Sharing information denotes an exchange of information. No one is responding to your reviews, so where is the exchange? 99% of the people on this site don't have YOUR setup uncalibrated as you do so just who is benefitting from this information?

Who are you fooling? Yourself? I can plainly see who has responded to your Jaurassic Park post. Where are these other forums? Can you provide a link?

Millions of visitors may read the gentlemens comments regarding Jaurassic Park(which I think are wrong from the get go) but they are obviously not reading your reviews. This "problem" you mention is no problem at all. You are making this up. The soundtrack that is on the corrected DVD is one that was approved(and corrected) by Universal. So where is the problem?

Does it make sense to you to have your sub calibrated professionally, but not your other speakers? Something is not adding up here. What "professional" would agree to calibrate your sub, but neglect to calibrate you other speakers? If he did as you say, he(or she) is NOT a professional. How could he do this WITHOUT calibrating the other speakers? Most "professionals" calibrate the sub 3-5db louder than the center speaker. How could your "professional" do this when in your system the center speaker isn't even calibrated correctly. I think you are making this up also. I just want you to know that you are not fooling anyone here. Without any supporting evidence, you are seriously lacking in credibility.
    "I think you are fooling yourself man. You have done about 8 reviews here, and have exactly zero responses on 7 of those, and maybe 2-3 responses on one. It is pretty easy to say on THIS sight that you get plenty on another site, but the proof is in the pudding."

Really? You really, really do? Again, I DO NOT CARE if there were no responses.....I HAVE GOTTEN PLENTY OF RESPONSES FOR OTHER DVD REVIEWS....ON HERE....so I STILL do not know what you are talking about, at all. Maybe I didnt get any on Jurassic Park, because it seems to be a shared consensus on the Internet that this has been an ongoing problem, but I have received replies and analysis on DVD reviews I have done. And if my system is so far off, calibration-wise, why do many agree with the sound I have gotten from some particular soundtracks? Why is that? I do not need to prove to you that I get replies on another site; I wouldnt waste my time. I KNOW I get replies on other sites I belong to, with the same topic titles, in fact.

"I have a big problem with this statement. As a engineer you understand that each soundtrack is unique to the movie story telling experience. It is stupid to compare the soundtrack of one genre of movie to a movie with a different storyline, and different genre altogether. Any competent engineer would not make the mistake of doing so. Also, since I own all three DVD's, I checked to see if THX approved the mastering of this DVD. It does not, so I highly doubt that ANY THX engineer would have any frame of reference regarding the DVD's soundtrack, and therefore cannot comment on its quality."

Why is it STUPID to compare these soundtracks? In other words, Jurassic Park's STORYTELLING EXPERIENCE is DIFFERENT from the Haunting's.....IN A NUTSHELL? No way. Sure, one is a haunted home film and one deals with resurrecting extinct species, but both are supposed to deliver subterranean bass....and this gentleman WAS a certified THX employee; I am trying to find the site and the quote where I read this as I type. AND I NEVER SAID TERRENCE ---- NEVER ON MY LIFE --- SAID THAT JURASSIC PARK WAS THX CERTIFIED....I KNOW IT WASNT.....I NEVER EVER EVER HINTED TOWARD THAT.

"This statement is ambigous and means nothing really. No bass is consistant from movie to movie. It is presented in different amounts based on the mixer enterpretation of the action on the screen. To compare the amount of bass from one movie to the next is mixing apples with oranges. I know for a fact that the stomps in JP extend down to 20hz at very high levels. I have 1/3 octave spectrum analyzers on all of my channels including the LFE channel that tell me this. So by any standard it has as much deep bass as any movie of the same genre."

Well, whatever you may call it, Mr. Terrible, I know the bass I am experiencing in my system when playing back this DVD --- THIS DVD IN PARTICULAR --- did not deliver the kitchen dishes-shaking promise all the worldwide reviews are claiming it should with the corrected algorithm and LFE track; when the T Rex arrives at approximately 1:01 (I believe chapter 11), his footsteps shake my floors better than the original pressing of this disc, sure, but they didnt send the pictures flying off my windowsill....THATS all I am saying.

"Why in the hell would anyone petition a marketing company regarding the soundtrack of a move? They do not have any control of that AT ALL.. They cannot correct any soundtrack problems whatsoever. Can you provide a link to this sight so I can tell the people what fools they are!"

LEE MARKETING in TEXAS was handling the CORRECTIONS of the DVDs for Universal; they TOLD ME OVER THE PHONE THAT THEY WERE WORKING WITH UNIVERSAL ON THE SOUND PROBLEMS....there was a site...I believe it was audiorevolutions.com, that had a thread regarding "spanking Universal Studios and Lee Marketing for such a delay and less-than-stellar improvement on this DVD...." Again, LEE MARKETING told me over the phone they had their hands in the audio corrections. I will give you their phone number if you so require it.

"How many others have YOUR particular setup? How many people have YOUR setup uncalibrated just like you do?
    Why would you think this information is valueable to others? Sharing information denotes an exchange of information. No one is responding to your reviews, so where is the exchange? 99% of the people on this site don't have YOUR setup uncalibrated as you do so just who is benefitting from this information?"

And now, in the United States of America, we cannot just SHARE information for the sake of shaing it with others because the know-it-all Terrence says so, is that how it works? I share these reviews just to share them; I require no exchange of information. I require no senseless, meaningless ramblings such as yours....or hurtful comments. These aren't necessary. I merely post them INCASE others have found similar results on the DVD playback --- AS HAS BEEN THE CASE IN MORE EXAMPLES THAN YOU SITE --- or if they have found different results. I TOTALLY RESPECT those who find different results on Dolby Digital and DTS sound on certain DVDs, and discuss these differences like a human being. What you say to me here means absolutely nothing to me.

And you say I am not fooling anyone on here? Who exactly am I trying to fool, may I ask you? Im not trying to fool anyone, so dont make yourself out to be so important by trying to, again, beat up on someone who does not have the exact same technical know-how as you.

And you aren't bullying anyone on here, either.

Again, I DO NOT CARE if there were no responses.....I HAVE GOTTEN PLENTY OF RESPONSES FOR OTHER DVD REVIEWS....ON HERE....so I STILL do not know what you are talking about, at all
    Where are these "plenty" of responses? I can plainly see that you have gotten none. Once again who are you trying to fool? I am noticing a trend here. When you cannot come up with a legitimate answer, you have brain failure(I don't know what you are talking about).

. Maybe I didnt get any on Jurassic Park, because it seems to be a shared consensus on the Internet that this has been an ongoing problem, but I have received replies and analysis on DVD reviews I have done.
    I visit the hometheater forum. I do not see anywhere where they mention a problem with the corrected DVD. Can you provide a link so all of us will be enlighted. Also would you be good enough to provide a link to the sites where people have responded to your posts. Could it be that you got no responses because either people didn't agree with you, or didn't take you seriously.

. And if my system is so far off, calibration-wise, why do many agree with the sound I have gotten from some particular soundtracks?.
    Where are these many you describe? I don't see them here. Of the few reviews you have done on disc I own, my findings are almost the polar opposite of yours. My system is tightly calibrated and the acoustics of my room are tweak to death, yet I found the bass in JP to be VERY strong and just about equal to what I heard in the theater. What's up with that?

. Why is that? I do not need to prove to you that I get replies on another site; I wouldnt waste my time. I KNOW I get replies on other sites I belong to, with the same topic titles, in fact.
    You are making claims but refusing to back them up with facts. Do you have evidence that supports these claims you make? If not, then how can one take you seriously. You may know that you get replies, but WE don't know this. Especially since you get none here.

. Why is it STUPID to compare these soundtracks? In other words, Jurassic Park's STORYTELLING EXPERIENCE is DIFFERENT from the Haunting's.....IN A NUTSHELL? No way..
    So let me get this straight, you think that the storytelling is identical for both movies? Last time I watch JP, it was about dinosaurs stomping around on a island. The last time I watched The Haunted, it was about a haunted house, ghosts, and spirits. These are about a different storytelling concepts as can be. Soundtracks are used to assist the storytelling, which would make every soundtrack unique to the story. In other words uncompareable.

. Sure, one is a haunted home film and one deals with resurrecting extinct species, but both are supposed to deliver subterranean bass....and this gentleman WAS a certified THX employee; I am trying to find the site and the quote where I read this as I type. AND I NEVER SAID TERRENCE ---- NEVER ON MY LIFE --- SAID THAT JURASSIC PARK WAS THX CERTIFIED....I KNOW IT WASNT.....I NEVER EVER EVER HINTED TOWARD THAT.
    Both do deliver very deep bass, but at different levels. You didn't expect them to delivery identical levels did you? They are different movies and are mixed differently.

Just because a person says they are from THX doesn't mean they have all information regarding all soundtracks. What if the DVD is not THX certified, or mixed in a THX certified soundstage. Then how in the hell would THX know about the soundtrack. Only a sound engineer from Universal can verify whether any of the JP movies have problems with its soundtrack. Since the original JP mix has been corrected, I have heard no such complaints from Universal, or its sound department.

. Well, whatever you may call it, Mr. Terrible, I know the bass I am experiencing in my system when playing back this DVD --- THIS DVD IN PARTICULAR --- did not deliver the kitchen dishes-shaking promise all the worldwide reviews are claiming it should with the corrected algorithm and LFE track; when the T Rex arrives at approximately 1:01 (I believe chapter 11), his footsteps shake my floors better than the original pressing of this disc, sure, but they didnt send the pictures flying off my windowsill....THATS all I am saying.
    It could be you are not experiencing it because your system is not calibrated(something you have admitted yourself) The common thread amoug those of us who ARE getting accurate deep bass levels seems to be proper calibration. What does that tell you?
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

[
    LEE MARKETING in TEXAS was handling the CORRECTIONS of the DVDs for Universal; they TOLD ME OVER THE PHONE THAT THEY WERE WORKING WITH UNIVERSAL ON THE SOUND PROBLEMS....there was a site...I believe it was audiorevolutions.com, that had a thread regarding "spanking Universal Studios and Lee Marketing for such a delay and less-than-stellar improvement on this DVD...." Again, LEE MARKETING told me over the phone they had their hands in the audio corrections. I will give you their phone number if you so require it..
    When I try and look up your mentioned site, I am unable to find it. Secondly Lee Marketing could have been hired by Universal to handle the distributing end of this problem. It is HIGHLY unlikely a marketing company has the facilities to correct audio problems on a DVD. Since I know the whole story behind the reissue of the disc, I highly doubt that you know what you are speaking of.

And now, in the United States of America, we cannot just SHARE information for the sake of shaing it with others because the know-it-all Terrence says so, is that how it works?..
    I do not think anyone has a problem with shared information. What becomes a problem is when that shared infomation is incorrect, or given by a non credible source. I person reviewing the technical merits of a DVD with a non calibrated audio and video system is not helpful when presented as fact.

I share these reviews just to share them; I require no exchange of information. I require no senseless, meaningless ramblings such as yours....or hurtful comments. These aren't necessary. I merely post them INCASE others have found similar results on the DVD playback .
    Hurtful comments bohobohoweepweepweep. You poor picked on dude. I am feeling really bad for pointed out crap that you have made up.

The only way anyone would get simular results that you have is if their system is not calibrated either. A calibrated system sounds nothing like a uncalibrated one, and that is a fact.

AS HAS BEEN THE CASE IN MORE EXAMPLES THAN YOU SITE --- or if they have found different results. I TOTALLY RESPECT those who find different results on Dolby Digital and DTS sound on certain DVDs, and discuss these differences like a human being. What you say to me here means absolutely nothing to me..
    Where are these cases? You have offered no proof of such, and we don't see it here. If what I say means nothing, then why are you stumbling all over yourself trying to justify yourself?

[quoteAnd you say I am not fooling anyone on here? Who exactly am I trying to fool, may I ask you? Im not trying to fool anyone, so dont make yourself out to be so important by trying to, again, beat up on someone who does not have the exact same technical know-how as you.

And you aren't bullying anyone on here, either.[/QUOTE]

Man do you have this passive/aggressive thing down pat. One moment you are lowly picked on TLADINY/Lexmark, the next moment you are not being bullied. You my friend are really full of it. YOu get the same response over and over again from many different people and you respond predictable in exactly the same way. It is VERY easy to see right through you dude.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Where are these "plenty" of responses? I can plainly see that you have gotten none. Once again who are you trying to fool? I am noticing a trend here. When you cannot come up with a legitimate answer, you have brain failure(I don't know what you are talking about).

I visit the hometheater forum. I do not see anywhere where they mention a problem with the corrected DVD. Can you provide a link so all of us will be enlighted. Also would you be good enough to provide a link to the sites where people have responded to your posts. Could it be that you got no responses because either people didn't agree with you, or didn't take you seriously.

Where are these many you describe? I don't see them here. Of the few reviews you have done on disc I own, my findings are almost the polar opposite of yours. My system is tightly calibrated and the acoustics of my room are tweak to death, yet I found the bass in JP to be VERY strong and just about equal to what I heard in the theater. What's up with that?

You are making claims but refusing to back them up with facts. Do you have evidence that supports these claims you make? If not, then how can one take you seriously. You may know that you get replies, but WE don't know this. Especially since you get none here.

So let me get this straight, you think that the storytelling is identical for both movies? Last time I watch JP, it was about dinosaurs stomping around on a island. The last time I watched The Haunted, it was about a haunted house, ghosts, and spirits. These are about a different storytelling concepts as can be. Soundtracks are used to assist the storytelling, which would make every soundtrack unique to the story. In other words uncompareable.

Both do deliver very deep bass, but at different levels. You didn't expect them to delivery identical levels did you? They are different movies and are mixed differently.

Just because a person says they are from THX doesn't mean they have all information regarding all soundtracks. What if the DVD is not THX certified, or mixed in a THX certified soundstage. Then how in the hell would THX know about the soundtrack. Only a sound engineer from Universal can verify whether any of the JP movies have problems with its soundtrack. Since the original JP mix has been corrected, I have heard no such complaints from Universal, or its sound department.

It could be you are not experiencing it because your system is not calibrated(something you have admitted yourself) The common thread amoug those of us who ARE getting accurate deep bass levels seems to be proper calibration. What does that tell you?
    Sure, that could be. But it was calibrated --- the whole thing WHETHER YOU BELIEVE ME OR NOT, does not matter one difference --- this past weekend with the services of American Hi Fi in Lynbrook, New York. I am still not getting the proper T Rex thump steps in the 11th chapter.

Now, what you say about both films being DIFFERENT and mixed at different levels ( or some such rhetoric) (and that is, The Haunting and Jurassic Park) is logical, and I DO IN FACT agree and claim that the guy I talked to on Home Theater Forum said the same thing, but he did say that even on the NEW Jurassic Park DVD, the levels are not PERFECT....they are not as strong as compared to modern soundtracks. I dont know where you are looking on that site, but there was AN ENTIRE THREAD----PAGES AND PAGES LONG---REGARDING THE SOUND OF THE NEW JP SOUNDTRACK....most people agreed that the LFE was heavier; some didnt, like me. Do a thread search for it and you will see it.

I have brain failure? THIS IS WHY I ASK YOU WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, DUDE: WHAT THE HELL are you referring to when you say that I CLAIMED that BOTH OF THESE FILMS HAVE IDENTICAL STORYLINES? I said they were not night and day in terms of theme staging --- what I meant was that they concentrate on ACTION, and that as such, BOTH SHOULD OFFER SUBTERRANEAN BASS LEVELS. I am finding that only on one of these DTS tracks.

And again, I do not need to prove to you that I have received replies on other reviews I have done. They are not for you, because you absolutely know it all about EVERYTHING Terrence. They are meant for human beings who have seen these films or perhaps have not and to share with human compassion their experiences with the DVD or their disagreement factors.

Sir TT, if this were a fencing duel, the man would be bleeding to death. ha ha ha i love it!!!!
    I have a copy of the japanse version of JP in superbit and it rattles everything in my house (calibrated system of course). What is this guy talking about? He fusses about EVERY movie he "so called" reviewed. He is some kind of entertainment i guess...but really just a lonely guy who can do nothing but b*tch. Reminds me of an old girlfriend... Subs are like balls, you either have it or not. Peace.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    [

When I try and look up your mentioned site, I am unable to find it. Secondly Lee Marketing could have been hired by Universal to handle the distributing end of this problem. It is HIGHLY unlikely a marketing company has the facilities to correct audio problems on a DVD. Since I know the whole story behind the reissue of the disc, I highly doubt that you know what you are speaking of.

I do not think anyone has a problem with shared information. What becomes a problem is when that shared infomation is incorrect, or given by a non credible source. I person reviewing the technical merits of a DVD with a non calibrated audio and video system is not helpful when presented as fact.

Hurtful comments bohobohoweepweepweep. You poor picked on dude. I am feeling really bad for pointed out crap that you have made up.

The only way anyone would get simular results that you have is if their system is not calibrated either. A calibrated system sounds nothing like a uncalibrated one, and that is a fact.

Where are these cases? You have offered no proof of such, and we don't see it here. If what I say means nothing, then why are you stumbling all over yourself trying to justify yourself?

[quoteAnd you say I am not fooling anyone on here? Who exactly am I trying to fool, may I ask you? Im not trying to fool anyone, so dont make yourself out to be so important by trying to, again, beat up on someone who does not have the exact same technical know-how as you.

And you aren't bullying anyone on here, either.
    Man do you have this passive/aggressive thing down pat. One moment you are lowly picked on TLADINY/Lexmark, the next moment you are not being bullied. You my friend are really full of it. YOu get the same response over and over again from many different people and you respond predictable in exactly the same way. It is VERY easy to see right through you dude.[/QUOTE]

Hahahhahahaha.....you make me laugh, Terrence....you really do...I have said it to Kelsci, and I will say it again....you are the world's biggest *******....yeah, thats right....you DO pick on people and you are an arrogant ass ---- EVERY SINGLE POST you provide people who I know who read these comments you put down here say "man, this guy is a real ****in ******* to talk this way to someone.....who the **** does he think he is?" YOU THINK I AM TRYING TO FOOL SOMEONE? YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT DUDE....YOU REALLY DONT. I was making observations about the Superbit topic until YOU butt in again and started your arrogant **** all over, once again. WHEN DID I START WITH YOU ABOUT ANYTHING IN THIS SUPERBIT DEBATE?

CAN YOU JUST TELL ME THAT-----WHERE DID I START WITH YOU IN PARTICULAR ON THIS SUPERBIT DEBATE? WHERE DID I DO THAT? WHERE? Show me. YOU STARTED IN WITH ME, so what are you TALKING about???

You are absolutely pathetic, Terrence.....man, I never heard someone talk more **** from the comfort of a home than you. Unreal. You know something? Youre not NEARLY worth the breath from my throat.

You truly are the world's biggest *******.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Sir TT, if this were a fencing duel, the man would be bleeding to death. ha ha ha i love it!!!!
    I have a copy of the japanse version of JP in superbit and it rattles everything in my house (calibrated system of course). What is this guy talking about? He fusses about EVERY movie he "so called" reviewed. He is some kind of entertainment i guess...but really just a lonely guy who can do nothing but b*tch. Reminds me of an old girlfriend... Subs are like balls, you either have it or not. Peace.

Hey ****heel,

Why would I be bleeding to death? Because I defended myself from guys like Terrence? AND WHEN DO I FUSS, may I ask? THERE ARE PLENTY OF DVDs I REVIEW WHICH I BRAG ABOUT THE SOUND.....there were PLENTY.

Films like Cold Creek Manor, Donnie Brasco and some others DID HAVE WEAK Dolby Digital soundtracks; they did, for a fact.

I AM FAR FROM LONELY....look who is talking about lonely....two guys like Terrence and ****heel who sit at home and do nothing but begin flame wars in message boards.....sounds like the two of you have some loving to get on with.....preferably in a hot tub?

3db
    Forum Regular

I though Superbit DVD only improved on the video

According to one of the guys that work at Blockbuster who collects dvds, he said the improvements in the soundtrack are negligble at best and that the improvements are really made on the video side assuming like Sir TT had said, you own a digital display with a progressive scan DVD player.

Does the movie Das Boot only come in Superbit format?

Well gentlemen,

There you have it. Once again good ole Lexmark is going into his name calling rage. This is becoming as predictable as the weather in the summer. When Lexmark finds he cannot provide evidence to what he says, or finds he has run out of answers, he name calls. Here are just some excerpts of this predictable behavior.

A Review: Anchor Bay's DiviMax DTS "Dawn of the Dead"

He also states his motivation for doing movie reviews(Ebert wanna be) and I quote

provide these reviews so some people could get an idea of the sound and visual quality on some of these discs"
    Now he wants you to get an idea of the sound(on a uncalibrated system) and visual quality(on a uncalibrated television). Does this make any sense to any of you?

Here is another where he makes a statement and has no proof to support what he says. Much like in this thread

6.1 Upgrade

Here is another example of good ole Lexmark asking the same question over and over(for nearly a year) with at least two different aliases. And what funny is everyone knows its him

DTS ES and DD EX in a 5.1 System

Here you have Lexmark describing himself as a(and I quote)"experienced enthusiast" , yet he is asking questions on the difference between hooking up a CD player from it's coaxial, or RCA inputs. Does this sound like a question that a "EXPERIENCED" person should be asking? Notice once again he is chided for his attitude and then goes into the name calling much like he has done here

CD Player Connections

Now here is the EXPERIENCED one asking about what should a DVD player settings be for receiving Dts and DD. Isn't this a question that an EXPERIENCED person should already know? Read down the thread and you can see that this EXPERIENCED person is having trouble grasping something that should be basic to someone EXPERIENCED

PCM or Bitstream?

Now this EXPEREINCED person is asking about setting his subwoofer levels. Now mind you, he wants to do this WITHOUT a spl meter.

Subwoofer Should Be Higher in dB's Than Other Channels?

and another thread asking the SAME question again

Subwoofer Calibration Levels?

Oh here is an interesting one. Lexmark or TLADINY or whatever comes out of nowhere and attacks me without any provacation whatsoever.

Perfect Home Theatre

Here is another question that an EXPERIENCED person should know, but Lexmark is definately asking it. I think this is the second time he is asking this question.

Calibrating Through a DVD Player's Menu II

As you can clearly see, Lexmark is not being bullied on, he is asking for every bit of grief he gets. He thinks of himself as an EXPERIENCED, yet the very BASIC concepts of hometheater completely ellude him.

He says that someone at THX commented on the hometheaterforum that the corrected JP soundtrack still has bass levels too low. However I have verified that the corrected DVD's output is within 1db of the laserdisc version which had very loud deep bass. This is also backed up to what my spectrum analyzers have recorded.

I asked him to provide a link to the thread, he refuses. I searched for it, and could find no reference. Why should anyone believe him

He says his sub was professionally calibrated, however a "professional" uses the center channel level as a reference for calibration. How do you calibrate to that channel when the center channel isn't even calibrated?

When you add all of this up, either you are dealing with a kid, or a grown person with some serious issues. Either way Lexmark has a rather bloated sense of self importance and really needs a reality check.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Wow, Sir TT you have some time on your hands, but I'm thinking that he probably deserves all the flames. LOL - great post!!

Quote Originally Posted by magictooth
    Wow, Sir TT you have some time on your hands, but I'm thinking that he probably deserves all the flames. LOL - great post!!
    Actually Magic, it took me about 7 minutes to do this all. I was on hold with the phone company and knocked it out. I love the search function...so handy when you need it.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Actually Magic, it took me about 7 minutes to do this all. I was on hold with the phone company and knocked it out. I love the search function...so handy when you need it.
    Ah-haaa.....I see....you have found proof that "I" have picked on YOU for out of the blue, no reason at all? That has never happened. It has always been the other way around.

And wow, your buddy there who also likes to bully those with less than stellar knowledge of home theater equipment says you have a lot of time on your hands is right....wow Terrence...for someone who flames people constantly on here for the same things he himself is doing, you sure have a hypocritical way about cha, lad.

I still contest Jurassic Park does not sound that bass-rich even after the re-purchase. Others on home theater forum have agreed. Look further, dude.

Oh, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you on all this; I was helping my girl with getting a glucometer for her relatively laid back case of diabetes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information