Forum Regular

S-Video Input on Cable Box?

Quick (and probably stupid) question, guys:

I have an s-video out on my cable box. Is there a way to run an S-video cable from the box to my Toshiba 32" Flat Screen and improve my cable picture? If not, are there any other options I may not be thinking of to improve the cable picture? It's not bad, but it could be crisper.

Thanks in advance!

w

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x

I have an s-video out on my cable box. Is there a way to run an S-video cable from the box to my Toshiba 32" Flat Screen and improve my cable picture? If not, are there any other options I may not be thinking of to improve the cable picture? It's not bad, but it could be crisper.

Thanks in advance!

w
    How do you have the cable-box to TV set hooked up now? RF output of box to "Antenna" input on TV? If so, the S-video connection might provide some improvement - although not a dramatic one.

Probably the best way to improve your picture quality would be to get a divorce from the cable company and get Dish Network satellite service. That will give you better pic quality - lower cost for what you get - more reliable and consistent performance - and they won't raise your rates once or twice every year like most cable systems have been doing.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by willx45x

Thanks in advance!

w
    Well, I just had to do yesterday what you just said. My 27" TV fell to the floor (don't ask!) and I replaced it for now with a JVC low end monitor. The monitor has no antenna input, so I'm using the S-Video output and the audio outputs on the box. The improvement in the picture is noticeable, but in the sound is huge. So when I get my new TV set, I'll connect it the same way.

Cheers

Well, a new TV is a lot cheaper than a divorce...

And yes, a S-video connection beats the heck out of an RF connection and is somewhat better than a composite (yellow RCA) connection. ...but it has no impact on sound at all. That's all in the red/white RCA cables or the digital connections.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    And yes, a S-video connection beats the heck out of an RF connection and is somewhat better than a composite (yellow RCA) connection. ...but it has no impact on sound at all. That's all in the red/white RCA cables or the digital connections.
    Maybe this is clearer. I used RCA conectors from the cable box audio output to the monitor audio input. That imrpoves the audio, no doubt about it.

Cheers

Thread Information