Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Question for Yamaha owners about using newer Yamaha receivers.

I have a simple question for all the Yammie owners out there. I have a new RX-V1400 that just replaced my 795a. What is the difference between running, say, a DVD in Dolby Digital in "Surround Standard" vs. running Dolby Digital in "Straight" mode. According to the manual, if I read correctly, they both just process the good ol' fashion, plain Dolby Digital 5.1 signal, with no DSP or anything added? Is this correct? If so, what's the difference between "2 ch Stereo" and running a stereo analog signal in "Straight"? Are they just 2 different ways of accomplishing the same thing?

Thanks.

Forum Regular
    pretty much yes. but with 2 channel stereo you can also turn a mono source into stereo. thats the purpose of it mainly. and the 5.1 question is yes there both the same thing. and it sounds better to run it straight without any dsps IMO.

the reason the say "2 ch stereo" is becuase with yamahas most of them have 4 ch, 5ch. 6ch. stereo so they just match up the name.

on my yamaha for stereo it sounds better running it "straight" then using the 2 channel stereo mode.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    that's what I've noticed, too, "straight" seems to sound better, and pure direct mode is the best, but then my sub-woofer doesn't engage. Not a big deal. Thanks for the reply

Forum Regular
    yea thats the same as me, when its on straight mode my sub doesnt come on either. its becuase theres no sub channel and when you turn the amps dsps and processors off it doesnt pull out the bass. its just straight stereo.

I have the RX-V3300 and according get "straight" or "stereo" mode, but I did notice that my friend's 1400 says "Surr. standard" which I guess is the equivalent to my "straight." I don't have pure direct mode and there's no "straight" mode for stereo, just "stereo" mode and it does engage my sub. I guess Yamaha is trying to tweak their sound modes to satisfy audio enthusists who want no additions to the audio processing while also appeasing those who can't get enough dsps.

Thread Information