Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    I know the Microsoft guy you are referring to, and I would not call his information "misinformation." He is an insider who most certainly is pro-HD DVD (and his comments need to be considered as such), but he has been a pretty straight shooter IMO and provided a lot of accurate data. You just will not find him pushing the Blu-ray format as it is his competitor. I also would not call what is happening over at AVS "disgraceful and disgusting" either. Just friendly discussion among folks. Isn't that what this hobby is about?
    Dave, you have got to be kidding me. DVDfile, highfidigest, and the digitalbits have all reported on the high emotional feelings surround both formats, and have pointed to AVS as an example. That is what prompted me to go there in the first place. I have been over there alot lately, its disgusting at a minimum, and a travesty at worst. Amir or whatever his name is outright trashes bluray, and some of his information (especially regarding the audio codecs) a nothing more than misinformation. In spite of the fact that he know alot about VC-1, I still wouldn't trust a word he says because there is not a shred of objectivity in his posts. He is a walking ad campaign for Microsoft. If you call what is going on friendly, I would hate to see it when it is not.

That said, there certainly are some folks who will say things to "push" whatever product they bought... That to some extent is natural behavior (bias), but I would argue it occurs no more there than any other board... You, of course, are free to disagree (and obviously you do).
    What is going on goes well past push. Its toxic and not really helpful to anyone except those who can discern information from emotion.

I remember all the flack HD DVD took by the Blu-ray camp in the earlier days. I took a lot of heat when I stated I was buying both formats (oh my, how *can* you buy HD DVD?). The typical Blu-ray response was "How can you support an inferior format that does not output 1080p?" (great BRD FUD there). I find it somewhat amusing how the tables have turned, and now it is the HD DVD camp that are the "bad guys," by your account picking on poor little ol' Blu-ray that has to "push back" from those evil pro-HD DVD folks (sarcasm intended)... I don't care who wins the format war quite honestly, but I do want the best end product for my money -- right now that is HD DVD IMO. If Blu-ray improves (actually it already has a great deal, truth be told) and overtakes HD DVD I will be even more happy as I will have players that can handle both formats, and then I have an even better format than the one I am already happy with now.
    Okay admittedly I didn't visit there before recently. However if AVS holds itself as one of the most informative website regarding audio and video, then some of its members need to check themselves. I read a post the other day where a person asked both sides to tone it down because it was not serving anyone any good the way it was going. If someone has to create a post like that, then indeed this is not dinner conversation!

Again, I tend to be pretty on-the-level as a general rule and call things as I see them (I'll leave whether I am "cool" or not to you ;-)). I would say that I have provided no misinformation to the best of my knowledge, just a different take than your impressions and beliefs. If you want to view things differently, I say go for it, but you make a big mistake by implying I and others have some agenda in this. My only agenda is watching (and listening to) a superior format. If it winds up being Blu-ray... great, but if it remains HD DVD, I can easily live with that too.

Good day,

---Dave
    Your comments on the uncompressed soundtracks on BR were either misinformation, or you do not have a clear understanding of PCM audio. Whatever the case is, you could have better served yourself by saying nothing at all rather than what you did say.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Your Lordship, Sir T.T; Geez, I did not think my audio question would filter down to a "pre flame war". Yet I have another question here not directly related to the audio codec thingy going on here. What happend to DTS 96/24. So many receivers in the past few years have this capability to decode this format so why wasn't this used never mind for Std DVD but for the new high def dvd formats. Or is DTS 96/24 a totally dead issue?

after reading Sir. TT's review, it appears the upgrade may be worth it for audio alone. I for one rank audio quality as high or higher than video quality.

I remember being the 1st to ever rent a DVD player at Hollywood video and choosing between a hand-ful of DVDs. I hope to do the same again with HD DVD and soon!

Nice review...can't wait to see them head to head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information