Forum Regular

Monster Voltage Regulator

Monster makes a voltage regulator, AVS-2000, that regulates your voltage from your AC line to keep it at 120 volts. I can get one for 50% off. Is this unit worth it for a home theater even at that good of a savings?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AZHT
    Monster makes a voltage regulator, AVS-2000, that regulates your voltage from your AC line to keep it at 120 volts. I can get one for 50% off. Is this unit worth it for a home theater even at that good of a savings?
    To answer your question ....... NO!

The idea that such a product is actually needed is an exaggeration of "Monster" proportions. Very, very few people have the need for "voltage regulation". I'd estimate the chances that YOU need one to be about halfway between extremely slim and zilch!

A good surge protector is a very good idea for anyone, but they can be had from companies like Panamax and TrippLite for far less than $100 ... just avoid the super cheap products (selling for $10-15) from hardware stores, Wal-Mart etc. They are not the same thing and have very limited usefulness.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular

Woodman, got a particular model number recommendation ?

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    To answer your question ....... NO!

The idea that such a product is actually needed is an exaggeration of "Monster" proportions. Very, very few people have the need for "voltage regulation". I'd estimate the chances that YOU need one to be about halfway between extremely slim and zilch
    TRUE !!! every product today is designed to handle voltage swings. Even though we all call it 120V, it rarely is near 120. You might find it more often than not comming in about 108V and avg about 112 or 115. Swings from 105 to 120 are common. Your products are designed to handle these voltage swings.

A good surge protector is a very good idea for anyone, but they can be had from companies like Panamax and TrippLite for far less than $100 ... just avoid the super cheap products (selling for $10-15) from hardware stores, Wal-Mart etc. They are not the same thing and have very limited usefulness
    Woodman - I unplug my TV (for now) because I don't have a surge protector on it YET, as I'm still in the process of installing everything.
    I will install a surge prot. on the TV and on the AV stack which is in the back of the room.

Do you have a recommendation (MFG and Model/PN) that I would use for either or both applications ?
    I see your MFG recommendation above, just wanted to know if there is a particular model that is better or best choice.

Hope this helps you
    It helps me !!!!!!

Thanks Woodman !!
    Last edited by omikey; 04-16-2004 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typos

Thread Information