Forum Regular

How Do I get HDTV?

How do I obtain HDTV? Is it thru Direct Tv? Etc....When I went to the store and asked he was very vague, buy this box for 700.00 buy this dish for 200.00 and subscribe here for $$$, I was lost? Then he said how would you like to pay cash or charge?

AR Maniac
    First I assume you have an HDTV TV. The next thing you will need is a way to get the signal. There are many HDTV tuners out there, some are built into the TV, yours may or may not be, let's assume not since most are setup this way.
    Here is the list

HDTV TV
    HDTV tuner, capable of receiving either ATSC or a combination of ATSC and NTSC signals. ATSC is over the air signals with an antenna like in the old days. NTSC is satellite (Direct TV, DISH NETWORK) or others. or your local cable company.

Then you will need the proper satllite dish and/or roof/attic or table top HDTV antenna. This all depends on what type of signals you want to receive. Over the air signals are free and vary from location to location. Go to www.antennaweb.org for which antenna you need in your area.

Look for the deals online for satellite recievers and packages. You should be able to get a two or more room setup with the dish for free including installation, then just upgrade to the HDTV tuner from the online store. Try calling someone like [url]www.Americansatellite.com, they have more knowledge than the DirecTV operator....
    Last edited by gorilla196635; 12-04-2003 at 11:53 AM.

Depends on where you live

To start with, you need a HD-ready TV. Once you obtain that, then the real fun starts.

In a lot of ways, your best HD programming options right now are with broadcast channels, since a lot of the network primetime schedule is now available in HD. In order to get broadcast HD, you need an HD tuner box (or HDTV with built-in HD tuner), UHF antenna, and decent reception in your area, PLUS you need your local stations to be setup for HD broadcasts. Right now, most cable systems and a lot of broadcast stations (including network affiliates) are not setup for HD, so it does depend on where you live. But, that situation is changing quickly as the market ramps up.

As far as satellite goes, Directv does not yet carry the HD feeds for local channels (they plan to, but who knows when that will actually happen), but it does have a HD package that includes ESPN, Discovery, and a couple of other HD variety channels for $11/month. Plus, they carry the HD feeds for HBO, Showtime, and PPV. Right now, they have an offer of $400 for a HD satellite tuner (which can also pull in broadcast HD channels using a UHF antenna), eliptical dish (which is different from the normal round dish), and installation. You might want to call Directv and see what they offer. I don't know what Dish Network offers in the way of HD options. Also, I've seen stores like Magnolia Hi-Fi with similar $400 offers, but those are prices "after rebate" so you do pay more up front to get that $400 net cost. Check the ads and look for the best offer, they're out there.

Or if you're just scoping out the situation, you could just wait. Compared to this time last year, you got many more programming options and the HD hardware is much cheaper. Unless you REALLY want HDTV right now, you might want to wait for more services to get added to the satellite services, more broadcast stations go online with HD broadcasts, more cable systems add HD to their services, HDTV prices drop further, etc. It's only been within the last year that HDTV's begun transitioning out of the early adoptor phase, so there's still a lot of changes that have yet to occur in the market before HD's truly mainstream.

AR Maniac
    Have you seen the new VOOM satellite. Looks like it has 40 HD channels for $40 a month, with a $750 equipment and install startup...
    I was just on the site but can't remember how to get there.

Dish Network has an offer in HTmag 40" HDTV, HDTV tuner, dish and install for $1500. Now that is trying to contain the market to one stop shopping.....

Forum Regular
    Hey there I went to that website and I need a red, violet and blue dish for the free ones. Do I need to buy all three?

Im going to check outthe others as well.

Always like the free stuff though....

or you can call the cable company and see if its available, this would be the cheapest way to get it...for me it just meant paying $15 more a month for a digital cable box

its good stuff though, wait till you see NHL NBA & NFL they all do HD now in the playoffs!

Forum Regular
    My cable compant doesnt even offer digial I just called them What are they from the BC era?

Thread Information