Forum Regular

Which HDTV would you buy: Toshiba or Sony?

I want to buy a widescreen HDTV . So far I have two models to consider. Does anyone have any experience with Toshiba 34hfx83 and/or Sony kv34xbr910? The Sony is almost twice as much as the Toshiba but I hear that it is the best. Is the difference in quality worth the difference in price? Are there other models that I should consider? Does it really matter which TV I buy? The salesman that I talked to said that they are all basically the same.
    Thanks in advance.

Forum Regular
    I just bought a widescreen tv I went with a Philips, though I was gung-ho on getting a Sony but the sales guys told me it was my choice because he makes is 4% either way and they were the same price but he recomend the Philips, he sold 2 Sonys and within 3 weeks they had to get the color guns replaced, I also read that after 8 motnhs they started to flicker, the salesmans said the same thing as well. So take it with a grain of salt, is it a glitch with Sony or are people just not happy?

Forum Regular

Toshiba

Quote Originally Posted by John1974
    I just bought a widescreen tv I went with a Philips, though I was gung-ho on getting a Sony but the sales guys told me it was my choice because he makes is 4% either way and they were the same price but he recomend the Philips, he sold 2 Sonys and within 3 weeks they had to get the color guns replaced, I also read that after 8 motnhs they started to flicker, the salesmans said the same thing as well. So take it with a grain of salt, is it a glitch with Sony or are people just not happy?
    Didn't you just post regarding 1) your disappointment with the Philips in many viewing modes/sources, and 2) your lack of knowledge regarding TV's in general? Why are you giving advice that is iffy at best and ill-informed? It's great that you want to contribute, but when people come here for advice they should be given the courtesy of getting it from a reliable source, not someone who really doesn't know any better. If you had done your research, you probably would not have purchased the Philips based on the service records and reliability of that brand. Toshiba on the other hand, is almost always at or near the top of the list in all categories, with a very good service record, excellent component quality, and great picture (when calibrated, as all units should be). Not trying to start a war here, just think that you would do well to take some advice from the regulars here, such as was given in replies your previous posts, such as from woodman. I don't think you'll find anyone in this forum more knowledgable with respect to TV's than him.

get the Mit's

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff
    Didn't you just post regarding 1) your disappointment with the Philips in many viewing modes/sources, and 2) your lack of knowledge regarding TV's in general? Why are you giving advice that is iffy at best and ill-informed? It's great that you want to contribute, but when people come here for advice they should be given the courtesy of getting it from a reliable source, not someone who really doesn't know any better. If you had done your research, you probably would not have purchased the Philips based on the service records and reliability of that brand. Toshiba on the other hand, is almost always at or near the top of the list in all categories, with a very good service record, excellent component quality, and great picture (when calibrated, as all units should be). Not trying to start a war here, just think that you would do well to take some advice from the regulars here, such as was given in replies your previous posts, such as from woodman. I don't think you'll find anyone in this forum more knowledgable with respect to TV's than him.
    Hey Jeff, take chill pill all John was doing was passing on some personal info. He ended by saying "take it with a grain of salt" If we can't feel free to offer professional or personal info on here why have a open forum. Go out and get a subscription and make all your choices from lab test results and not real world situations

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by audiodude
    I want to buy a widescreen HDTV . So far I have two models to consider. Does anyone have any experience with Toshiba 34hfx83 and/or Sony kv34xbr910? The Sony is almost twice as much as the Toshiba but I hear that it is the best. Is the difference in quality worth the difference in price? Are there other models that I should consider? Does it really matter which TV I buy? The salesman that I talked to said that they are all basically the same.
    Thanks in advance.
    How about neither one? Buying ANY direct-view widescreen set is a risky proposition, and one that I wouldn't even consider myself. Rather than repeating myself here, read my response to berogers in his thread titled "Loewe or Sony" on this board.

If after reading it you still want to buy one, then get the Toshiba ... hands down - no contest. The Sony is not only NOT worth more money, in my book it's "worth" far less.

woodman

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    Hey Jeff, take chill pill all John was doing was passing on some personal info. He ended by saying "take it with a grain of salt" If we can't feel free to offer professional or personal info on here why have a open forum. Go out and get a subscription and make all your choices from lab test results and not real world situations
    Think I'll pass on the pill, thanks anyway. What John did was pass on anecdotal, third-party hearsay from an extremely biased source (the salesman, who despite his statement that he got the same commission on either set, may actually also have other incentives or volume bonuses for one brand or another), he did not convey a professional or personal experience with the product. For John to recommend to another user that they go out and buy a model or brand of TV that John, by his own admission, hasn't even yet figured out how to use properly (see his discussion on 4:3 vs. widescreen as an example) is reckless. He hasn't had 1 week of use yet, and doesn't know anything about the pros and cons of any of the brands - he basically posted wanting to know if he had made a mistake buying the Philips. For him to give advice to others is not in the best interest of the original poster. If he had the set for 6 months or a year and understood how to use it and could elaborate as to the advantages of that TV over the other brands the poster inquired about, I would have no problem with his post.

Like I said, I have no problem with John on a personal level, I am looking out for the best interest of the original poster. He asked about Brand A and B, and John came along and said, "I don't know anything about this stuff, but I bought Brand C, and although I can't yet watch a widescreen DVD on it and my analog reception sucks, you should get one too...or maybe not, whatever."

What value does this post have?

As to the reference to how I make my decisions, I look at the reliability, quality, and long-term customer satisfaction ratings of all the brands I'm interested in, then audition them in my home, then find the one that I like that is also sufficiently high on the list re: the above factors. If I fell in love with a Denon rcvr but liked a Yamaha rcvr almost as much, I'll take the Yammie every time. Same situatiuon here, although you can hardly ever go wrong with Toshiba...best of both worlds as far as reliability and performance.

Wink

I hear your point, and agree to a point. But to tell someone that they should keep their opinion to themselves based on their own problems with a purchase just doesn't sit well with what this type of forum should be about.

In your opionion you would take the Toshiba, but I would add that Toshiba has only been in the large screen TV for about 5-10 years. I have no problem with them (Toshiba), but they have never been a forefront/leader of any technology. I have a Toshiba Microwave, going on 15 yrs old still going strong, but they did not concived or truly make it. just has their name on it. Toshiba made its name off portable audio gear, but now you can get computers ( best laptops), hometheater, etc...

Just as with VCR's there were only about 4-5 compaines that made them, but many other compaines put their name on them. In case you are wondering what I have, I pick a Mit's widescreen for my choice. The main reason was their long history of delevopment in the field.

AR Maniac
    Sorry Sony Lovers,
    My take on Sony is that in the 1980's they made a big push to become the biggest seller of all electronics. They did this by offering a higher commission to the sales reps in your local audio stores. So when everyone went to buy a component the sales guys pushed them into the Sony. I know this because lots of my friends were selling electronics during this time period. I know lots of people that own Sony products and have not had good luck with them but they continue to buy them. I guess it is like the people that keep buying Chevy, Chrysler and Ford products, they have never had anything better so they continue to buy (sorry once again, this time to all the aformentioned automobile owners) junk.......

I know several people that have purchased the new Toshiba RPTV's and are very happy. I had a Toshiba 32" for about 12 years and the sound started to go so I gave it up for adoption and purchased a new Mitsubishi. One major reason for the Mits is their reputaion and the other is the ability to upgrade to future technologies...

I did a lot of looking before buying my TV last year. I didn't think the Toshiba could hold a candle to the Sony. I bought the 40" XBR, and it's wonderful. It's got a much better picture than an RPTV you'll find out there. Point is, just get what you want. The Sony looked the best to me after a lot of looking. I decided the improvement was worth the price.

AR Newbie Registered Member day_walker's Avatar
    I'd go with the Sony...I am on my second Sony and have never had a problem EVER with either sets....

Thumbs down Neither....

I'd go with Samsung DLP. Best picture I've ever seen.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Thanks Recoveryone fo the support!

Thanks for sticking up for me, number one I never said to choose either one you chose by what you like and mainly WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD I wanted a widescreen I have been involved with home theaters for the past few years, I was just waiting for my tv to kick the bucket. I was expressing my personal opinion on what the man said about Sony and yes I went out and bought a Digital Video Essentials disc and calibrated my philips and I would not trade it for the Sony. THATS MY OPINION, just like the one post said that Denon and Yam were mentioned, ON A PERSONAL OPINION I choose my Marantz but thats just me. I cant believe there are people out here to rip someone to shreads over a simple sentances.

Thread Information