Forum Regular

Some video question's

I have a few premises and an simple question. People here seem fairly well informed here, so here we go.
    I am going to purchase a new large screen HDTV within the next year. Including home theater all around. The sound I have figured out but the TV is another question. Please tell me if I am getting this right. I want a clear/stable piture with good color and I am neither for or against the "latest" tech to do it. Just picture quality. It also has to last a while since I am not rich. My old sony 36" XBR was 5+ years old and still working great when I gave it to dad.
    Here is what I am seeing in my research to date on larger TV's:

1) Rear projection TV's have the issue of light sources effecting them more, but are 1/2 or less the cost of plasmas with comparable pitures.
    2) Plasmas aren't so light sensitive but very costly and only high end models seem to do all the color's right, i.e. black backgrounds etc.(I am a SF fan so this is a major point for me)
    3) LCD projectors I am hearing burn out bulbs fairly quickly, 2 to 3 years or so with lots of use, and most bulbs have to be replaced at factories. BUt they have good pitures.
    4) Tubes don't get much larger than 42" basiclly.
    5) There seems to be no large LCD TV's out there I can see.
    6) True "Projection" TV's are very very pricy for a good one. Also have high maintenance. and are extremly light sensitive.
    7) Is there some new "wazoo"thing coming out?
    8) I may be wrong on all of the above, or not. That is what I am trying to verify.

I don't mid closing the drapes to watch a movie. I just don't want to have to live in a cave. 5k to 10k is ok, but 3k to 6k means more for the sound system which is where I would like to spend more if i can get away with it and still have a great picture.
    Help is appreciated
    Take care all

Forum Regular
    To me real projection tube is still the best value with better overall picture quality in the same price range.

1. Plasmas TV has problems with burn in (like tube) and some what shorter life span. Low end units may also has poor contrast and color.
    2. LCD projector (real or front) in general are not as bright and less in contrast compares to DLP. This is due to DLP been reflective. Most of the lower cost LCD also has poor black level.
    3. One chip LCD has lower effective resolution than DLP or three chips design because of the mosaic color coding.
    4. In theory DLP should also last longer than LCD but one chip DLP has this filter thing and its long term reliability is questionable.
    5. As you have stated, the lamps for either the LCD or DLP will burn out porbably sooner than later and that add to the cost. The cooling fan be also be too noisy for the front projectors.
    6. LCD projector or panel are also slower. Although they are improving in this area at very fast pace, there are a lot of slower models out there that are not suitable for fast action video.
    Last edited by sy_lu; 08-03-2004 at 01:31 PM.

A lot of your decision has to do with your own personal preferences...you say you want to spend 3k-6k on your monitor and that gives you a lot of options! So lets disect a little bit:

If you're planning to use the monitor as an everyday, livingroom, watch with the blinds open (even some of the time) than you probably want to stay away from projector. If you're looking for strictly a movie theater type display technology (for a bonafide home theater) than you most likely want projector. The reason? The purpose of a true home theater is to re-create the experience of a movie theater and that is best accomplished, in my opinion, by a good projector (and for 3-6k you can get a great projector!).

If your application is not for just a home movie theater type thing than you have a few more options to look at:

LCD (flat) is a good choice. They have an all around good picture, are modern and stylish (i know but its true), and do not suffer from burn-in (as plasmas do..another thread says they have burn-in qualities, but i've never heard that anywhere but there). The downside is that they generally aren't much larger than 37" (there are some larger, but basically this is the biggest currently), and they are more expensive, pixel for pixel, than plasma. Contrast ratios are not greater than 1000:1 usually, which is not bad, per se, but destroyed by plasma. All around though, a good display, if a little pricey.

Plasmas are cheaper, by comparison to LCD pixel per pixel, and are brighter (Panasonic up to 4000:1 they boast, 3000:1 on a few models...other companies make similar ones). They also are bigger...ranging from 32" at the bottom to 63" currently, though i've heard plans for a 70" in the future). Its true that they have a lifespan (to half brightness), as others will tell you, but its not a short as a lot of people think. I read elsewhere in these forums 10,000 hours, which by everything i've read is untrue. Most sources I've seen put it at 30,000 on average up to around 50,000, which is probably excessive. Be that as it may, its a long time...if you're planning on 4-8 hours per day you'll be ready to upgrade by the time its at half brightness, which I estimate at anywhere from 6-12 years depending on use. If you dont leave it on all day you'll be fine and it should be nothing to worry about. Plasma sales are through the roof and are estimated to skyrocket for the next few years....people wouldn't spend thousands on them if they only lasted a few years. These are my thoughts on plasma.

I currently have a 53" Hitachi UWX10BA Projection TV that we've had no problems with. They are cheaper than anything flat and will give you a picture quality that is as good, if not better depending on model. Mine has been an all around great tv and will not get replaced for a while (maybe moved when i go plasma in 6 months or so). We have had no problems with it what-so-ever! A tech from circuit city told us that he would stick with hitachi or sony for these types of displays...not to plug either of these two companies....on the other hand he is from circuit city, so you may want to stay away from both of these companies ....

Honestly my projection knowledge is not as extensive as my plasma, lcd, projector are so maybe someone in will complete my list...for RPTV, CRT, and DLP proj....the guy who posted ahead of me mainly focused on them anyways...

So good luck and i hope you find something you're happy with! My personal feeling is that most display technologies these days (especially for 3-6k) will be so good you'll be happy no matter what you get! Hope it turns out great!

Forum Regular

Thx

This is a living room TV and sound system, not a dedicated theater room as much as i would like that to be the case. Probably "sponge bob square pants" or "Grease clones" will be seen as often as my favorite SiFi/space stuff or online concerts. I figure about 2500 to 3000 hours or so a year it will be on. And knowing the munchkins there will be times when it will be left on all night while they sleep on the couch in front so burn in could be an issue.
    Your help is appreciated, thx

Forum Regular
    One more thing, a number of "cheap" plasmas out there are not real HDTV but rather EDTV as they do not have enough number of pixels.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lattybuck
    I have a few premises and an simple question. People here seem fairly well informed here, so here we go.
    I am going to purchase a new large screen HDTV within the next year. Including home theater all around. The sound I have figured out but the TV is another question. Please tell me if I am getting this right. I want a clear/stable piture with good color and I am neither for or against the "latest" tech to do it. Just picture quality. It also has to last a while since I am not rich. My old sony 36" XBR was 5+ years old and still working great when I gave it to dad.
    Here is what I am seeing in my research to date on larger TV's:
    I'll be glad to answer your questions - and since I have more "hands-on" experience with TV sets than any three other members here, you can have some info that's a bit better than - "fairly well informed".

1) Rear projection TV's have the issue of light sources effecting them more, but are 1/2 or less the cost of plasmas with comparable pitures.

Any TV set of whichever type of display technology there is will have difficulty performing at anywhere near its capability in a room with considerable ambient light present ... period. But you are quite correct that RPTVs (using CRT technology) are much lower priced than any other type of display of anywhere near comparable screen size.

2) Plasmas aren't so light sensitive but very costly and only high end models seem to do all the color's right, i.e. black backgrounds etc.(I am a SF fan so this is a major point for me)

There isn't any type of display that can compete head-to-head with CRTs insofar as black levels are concerned. Also worth mentioning is the fact that any "fixed-pixel" type of display will have less capability of showing maximum detail than CRTs are able to do ... this includes plasma as well as LCD, DLP, etc.

3) LCD projectors I am hearing burn out bulbs fairly quickly, 2 to 3 years or so with lots of use, and most bulbs have to be replaced at factories. BUt they have good pitures.

Not correct about the factory replacement part. Nearly every LCD projector that I know of is designed for user replacement of the bulb. Although 2 to 3 years (depending on usage) is probably close, it has to be remembered that the cost of the bulb is only about one third of the cost of replacing a set of 3 CRTs - and even FAR less than that of replacing a direct-view CRT of decent widescreen size.

4) Tubes don't get much larger than 42" basiclly.

There are NO picture tubes of that size ... never were ... never will be. Mitsubishi built a 40" (4:3 aspect ratio) set some years back - it was a disaster! Not learning from Mitsu's mistake, Sony came out with a 40" set also. Same scenario ... not practical.

5) There seems to be no large LCD TV's out there I can see.

When you say "large LCD" you're referring to direct-view LCD aren't you? You're right about this one. Although Sharp is working feverishly at developing larger screen sizes of that technology. At present, the largest LCD direct-view is a 37" (from Sharp) - but to call it waaaaaay expensive for what it is, is IMO a massive understatement.

6) True "Projection" TV's are very very pricy for a good one. Also have high maintenance. and are extremly light sensitive.

Wrong - wrong - wrong on all counts. You can get a very impressive front projector for less than $2K, with the only "maintenance" required would be the periodoc replacement of the light source bulb.

[b]7) Is there some new "wazoo"thing coming out?[b]

Yes, there apparently is! Sony has announced a new type of screen for use with a front projector that uses a black material instead of white or gray! I've not seen it myself, but it's reported to offer some MAJOR improvements in the areas of black levels and the ability to produce very watchable pix even in the presence of lots of ambient light! It should be put on the market before the end of this year, according to reports within the industry.

I don't mid closing the drapes to watch a movie. I just don't want to have to live in a cave. 5k to 10k is ok, but 3k to 6k means more for the sound system which is where I would like to spend more if i can get away with it and still have a great picture.
    Help is appreciated.
    Consider this:
    What's called for in your situation is TWO sets ... a conventional direct-view set for daytime viewing and some type of front projector for "serious" night-time entertainment. Make sense to you? It's sure the approach that I'd take if I were in your situation.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular

I really appreciate the help

Thx all. I am using the advice to find the best deals now. I appreciate the help tremendously and take care.

Thread Information