Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

DVR, looking to add one to my system.

All,

It seems to me that DVR tech has reached a stage where I'ld like to add one to my HT system. I've been looking at models from Pioneer, Sony and Panasonic, but I'ld like to hear input from anyone who has one first before I make a decision.

Right now I am leaning toward the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000.

I've got a DVR with my cable box...

...as supplied byTime-Warner. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the ones you mention. Generally speaking, I've been very pleased with it for recording and "time-shifting" programs. I am also able to record 2 programs at once. Because the DVR is built into the cable box it utilizes the built-in program guide (i.e. Time-Warner) for recording programs - this is a huge advantage and I'm not quite sure how the other brand DVR's would accomplish this - I know that Tivo uses a dedicated phone line to download progam data.

The only disadvantages I've had with it are 1) It's noisy - I can hear the hard drive from my lazy boy... and 2) there will occassionally be a pause while watching normal tv (this thing is recording ALL of the time) and during playback of recorded material. Channel changing seems a bit slower too. The pause isn't a big deal, but I wish it were quieter.

I sure wouldn't want to go back to VCR recording - this thing is SO convenient. No punching in channel #'s, start and stop times, or tape speeds. Simply use the program guide and hit the REC button on the remote - then it prompts to record a single show or the entire series. Sweet. Playback involves hitting a LIST button and choosing the recorded show I want to watch.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Hi Digital-G,

Wow, was I for a shock after doing research about this.

The door has been shut to us who would like to tape/copy digital broadcast TV for later viewing. The DVR that you have built in to your cable box, and the TIVO system, is just about the ONLY way you can record digital TV. These are both non-removable media, and controlled by the broadcaster.

While JVC, and others make digital VCR's that are capable of recording an HDTV broadcast, they are NOT equipped with component IN jacks to do so! The only digital source they will take is Firewire, and NO set top boxes have a Firewire output, they only have component! Worse, DVD burners, like the Pioneer that I was looking at also have ONLY analog inputs, so no digital quality there either. Now with broadcast TV set to go all digital this will mean that NO broadcasts will be able to be taped in the quality they were broadcast originally.

Welcome to the new frontier.

Thread Information