Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular

Nightflier that's the 1812 Overture DVD-A I have

[QUOTE=nightflier]

"I also have several versions of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, including the new one from Telarc with the real cannons (which is the one that's in most stores), and I must confess that apart from the cannon fire from my sub, it's not really that impressive"

Those are my thoughts exactly. The cannons are great but the rest of it I wasn't impressed with- not talking about the music or its quality but with how it was put out on DVD-A. You should buy Yes's Fragile even if you're not into them just for a great reference to compare how these discs should sound like. I'm glad NAbstentia mentioned that one because while I liked Yes I didn't really like them enough to see them or buy their music and buying this DVD-A was a total sonic revalation to me. Whoever mixed it did an incredible job. I thought The Who's Tommy that Pete Townshend remixed was going to be similar but while it wasn't disasterous it wasn't fireworks either. Who knows what goes into the heads of some of these group leaders. I'm still waiting for Charles Manson's "Lie" to come out. Manson believe it or not actually did write and sing some good songs- if you think I'm nuts listen to Look At Your Game Girl which Guns and Roses covered at http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip.../4359/lie.html

nightflier

Non capito DVD-A, sole SACD, capish?

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Those are my thoughts exactly. The cannons are great but the rest of it I wasn't impressed with- not talking about the music or its quality but with how it was put out on DVD-A. You should buy Yes's Fragile even if you're not into them just for a great reference to compare how these discs should sound like.
    Alas, I only have SACD, so the only Yes I have is on CD. That said, I am curious to hear if the 1812 DVD-A is different from the SACD. Anyone out there have a universal player that's willing to test this?

Another question regarding the main topic: anyone ever try to copy an SACD? I've made copies of the hybrid SACD's two channel track onto blank CD's, but that was with two components via the RCA jacks, not a computer.

Yeah you can copy an SACD's hybrid layer just like a normal CD, but not the SACD layer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information