Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Suspended

BFD Installation and Setup Help

I purchased a Behringer Feedback Destroyer that I want to use as a sub EQ in hopes that my LFE response will improve in my media room. Some of you may already know... when I stand outside the listening area, the low frequencies are more audible than when I'm sitting anywhere inside the area. I've tried to position the sub in different unobtrusive spots as well as put up 2 out of 8 (still have to put four more together and hang two custom made) acoustic panels, but the results have remained unchanged.

I'm starting this thread for multiple purposes, first and foremost is to get help from other BFD owners on how to set up the myriad filters, modes of operation, get interpretations of test results, and to help educate others who might be having similar issues and are looking for a solution. I believe that those who recommended I buy one know what they're talking about, and in my quest for audio bliss I'm willing and have the resources to integrate this solution.

The parts I have are the BFD itself, the 1/4" to RCA adapters, an extra subwoofer cable and the trusty ol' Rat Shack SPL meter. Aside from the front panel, the box is not real attractive (especially the mounting ears, while although they're removable, they leave exposed circuitry ) so I'll be hiding this box inside the audio cabinet.

Suggestions I've received so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Read the manual BFD guide like 3 times before you start and again step by step while your programming it. Well that's what I did. It starts off somewhat complicated but gets easier once your in there getting your hands dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by kex
    ...get your trust SPL meter out and yeah, read that manual guide a few times, go through it step by step, and you'll be fine.
    Well, I've read through the manual somewhat, not thoroughly like these two have suggested, but so far all I've gotten out of it is how to set it up as "Front of House" or as "monitor mix" which is beneficial to a musicain while playing onstage. That's all well and good but right now I'm failing to understand how to apply the principles explained in the manual to my purposes.

In any event, the writeups and guides over at The Home Theater Shack are providing some answers to my questions, but I think it would be beneficial if some back-n-forth developed on this forum, so I'll continue to ask my q's here when I start digging in.

Stay tuned...

WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    That page suggests this page...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/

but again, I think it would benefit the HT community here and myself, if we have a reference thread that isn't link after link to someone else's sites. "Know what I mean Vern?"

Sorry bud can't help ya

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Rich, this is the page you should be reading, and is what I was referring to when I said "manual"...should have been more clear:
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdmeasure/

It has everything you need, I think. You will find links to the test tone frequencies you will need to fill out the spreadsheet. If you have Avia or some HT setup disc that has those frequencies, you can use those, too.
    Start by putting your sub where you want it, then take the measurements. That'll give you a picture of how nasty your room is.

Then you'll proceed to tackle a few peaks at a time....

Give this a shot and feel free to ask questions...I'm sure myself, LJ, Wooch, and eveyrone will chime in.

Buwahahahahahahahahahah.....................
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Oh, and the only part of the manual you need to concern yourself with are the parts relating to Parametric Equalization, and later on, the tables at the back dealing with ISO frequencies and bandwidth.

By the way what is your desired Q and and would you say your sub is stochastic, or deterministic?

Heh heh heh......

Suspended
    I've heard someone else talk about "Q". It's a confusing subject IIRC. Irregardless, my desired I"Q" is well, unreasonable.

Suspended
    Heh heh heh......
    Be quiet and pay attention post whore

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Be quiet and pay attention post whore
    That's "man whore" to you buddy.

Suspended
    Yeah, "man whore" only gives out his discarded seconds.

And stop kissing me!!! That right is reserved for my two favorite girleys, ONLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Yeah, "man whore" only gives out his discarded seconds.

And stop kissing me!!! That right is reserved for my two favorite girleys, ONLY!!!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Sorry bud can't help ya
    AA, "help me help you".
    Quote Originally Posted by kex
    Rich, this is the page you should be reading, and is what I was referring to when I said "manual"...should have been more clear:
    To REW or not to REW, that is the question. IIRC neither you or L.J. used it right?

According to what I read, if I want to use the wizard on a laptop, I'll need a Line-in and a Line-out (the mic & headphone connections aren't useable), which I don't have on my laptop, and I don't want to drag my main rig out for this. I didn't get a chance last night to check the model # of my meter so I didn't bother to d/l the .cal file, if I even need it.

Rich, read this page first. Get your BFD connected properly and get your input level set. Once that part is finished, you can move on.

Next download the test tones and spreadsheet stuff from here and start taking measurements. Shoot the numbers into the spreadsheet and get yourself a pretty little graph.

Read everything from beginning til end a couple of times. Once you start doing it, it'll get easier and easier. You kinda learn as you go and just experiment.

BTW, when you hook it up make sure everything is off and turned on in the correct order. I plugged in my BFD when the sub was on and got a nice little heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I plugged in my BFD when the sub was on and got a nice little heart attack.
    Heh, heh...Titanics don't like big voltage surges...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Bet he had to change his shorts.

Bet he had to change his shorts.
    That's ok...over the holidays when my inlaws were visiting and I was stuck on the couch I had a hard time sleeping a few nights. One night I turned my system on with my Harmony remote and forgot it was set to...LOUD....damn loud. So at 2 AM some smutty soft core show on the movie network was oohing and aahing with my in-laws down the hall. I damn near crapped my pants then.

Suspended
    Inlaws? Inlaws? Wha? Inlaws? You gotta be... Inlaws? Inlaws? Don't talk about... Inlaws?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Yeah funny thing is you warned me and I still did it lol.

My kids turned the Denon way up on accident and it scared the snot out of both of them. I hear this loud sound like a plane is crashing in the front. I run up front only to have my boys pass me up doing about a hundred headed toward mom. It was hilarious.

Well is it still sitting in the box or did you hook that baby up yet?

Maybe he's still reading.

Suspended
    It's out of the box and waiting until after my house party preparations are over. I've got some co-workers coming over this Saturday for a "Survivors Party" (those in my group who made it through the RIF).

Ya know, I don't recall reading anywhere in the setup guide, owners manual or measurement guide anything stating that the BFD is to be installed in-line between the receiver and the sub. NBD, and I know that sounds like "nitpicking", nevertheless this is all the more reason why I'm glad there are experienced users here that're willing to help out.

(My little suck-up speech )

How 'bout that. Three posts exactly 5 minutes apart.

Rich you can pull out a couple of pointers from this thread.

My BFD results

Suspended
    Well I guess I should thank everybody for putting all these links up afterall. It will help centralize a lot of info.

I like what Wooch said here:

"I've gotten mixed results using the REW software. Once you learn how to use the REW, it's actually simpler to program the BFD because it automatically tells you what settings you should use and how many EQ filters to setup. The REW simplifies things even further if you use a MIDI connection between the computer and the BFD. With a MIDI connection, you can actually use the computer to control the BFD. But, that's a bridge that I haven't crossed yet."

I'm a computer geek... dork... What can I say?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information