Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Well I guess I should thank everybody for putting all these links up afterall. It will help centralize a lot of info.

I like what Wooch said here:

"I've gotten mixed results using the REW software. Once you learn how to use the REW, it's actually simpler to program the BFD because it automatically tells you what settings you should use and how many EQ filters to setup. The REW simplifies things even further if you use a MIDI connection between the computer and the BFD. With a MIDI connection, you can actually use the computer to control the BFD. But, that's a bridge that I haven't crossed yet."

I'm a computer geek... dork... What can I say?
    Rich, if you go the REW route, keep track of cost and gear used to get it all going. Myself & others may be interested. I went the manual route simply because I didn't want to invest any more money. $70 was a killer deal with cables included! I think the mic alone came to more than what I paid for the BFD.

Knocking out a few peaks manual made a huge diff for me. My response isn't ruler flat but I'm pretty happy with my results. I'd love to get an automated system going though.

Suspended
    Yeah I'm not interested in spending, what was it, $80 some-odd bucks on an external USB sound card so I can use a company owned laptop to set up the BFD at this time. I look at this project as another set-it-and-forget-it deal, and the only time I'll be doing anything with it is when I dust or add another component to the audio cabinet.

I wonder though how much I'll need to change when I finally have the dreaded echo out of my living room.

Echo?...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Echo?...
    Wot?

Echo?...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    I can't hear you!!!

< == Led Zeppelin @ 90dB before BFD.

L.J.!! Good see your avatar, man!

Rich, where I come from BFD means sumpin' else....You sound anxious, friend! (Hee hee hee...)

Suspended
    It means something else where I come from too Aa.

Irregardless...

It means something else where I come from too Aa.

Irregardless...
    Wildwood?

Suspended
    Man I used to have so much fun in Wildwood. Great boardwalk and great beaches.

Seriously though

Cape May is cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    L.J.!! Good see your avatar, man!
    Wassup man. I've been trying to hang around more. Rich keeps giving me a hard time

Where does he give you his hard...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Rich, how are you making out with that thing?

Ewwwwa.....

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Rich, how are you making out with that thing?
    Haven't done anything yet kex. Getting ready for tomorrow's party.

Sunday SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Party?! Party?!?!

Give Rich a break, LJ. Last hard time he gave anybody it took two weeks b'fre they could get the watch out...

That page suggests this page...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/

but again, I think it would benefit the HT community here and myself, if we have a reference thread that isn't link after link to someone else's sites. "Know what I mean Vern?"
    That's Sonny Parker's BFD site (the other link is the OLD link to Sonny Parker's BFD site). Everybody that uses the BFD as a subwoofer EQ at one point or another will use his setup guide. It's by far the best resource on the web for the BFD. Behringer's instructions suck because subwoofer EQing is not the BFD's primary function. They're helpful if you intend for your BFD to double as a feedback attenuator for your concert audio setup, otherwise they suck.

If you're seeing the Room EQ Wizard instructions, look for the link taking you to Parker's previous BFD guide version that has the manual measurement instructions. That has instructions, plus spreadsheets and correction charts for doing manual measurement using a Radio Shack SPL meter.

Well I guess I should thank everybody for putting all these links up afterall. It will help centralize a lot of info.

I like what Wooch said here:

"I've gotten mixed results using the REW software. Once you learn how to use the REW, it's actually simpler to program the BFD because it automatically tells you what settings you should use and how many EQ filters to setup. The REW simplifies things even further if you use a MIDI connection between the computer and the BFD. With a MIDI connection, you can actually use the computer to control the BFD. But, that's a bridge that I haven't crossed yet."

I'm a computer geek... dork... What can I say?
    I actually preferred the EQ profile that I got using the manual measurement method. The REW settings only gave me three filters, and I felt that the bandwidth on the suggested REW filter settings was too wide. I prefer to tinker and fine tune. But, a lot of the guys that hang out on the BFDGuide forum are Java programmers, and the REW app is their baby and it's constantly getting revised and retooled. If you already have a USB soundcard and a calibrated mic, you might have a great time with that tool, since it gives you all sorts of other audio measurements and visuals. Plus, it's right in Richie Rich's price range ... FREE!!!!!!

The MIDI connection sounds cool in theory, but I read on the BFDGuide forum that some BFD models have problems with the MIDI connections.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Yeah I'm not interested in spending, what was it, $80 some-odd bucks on an external USB sound card so I can use a company owned laptop to set up the BFD at this time. I look at this project as another set-it-and-forget-it deal, and the only time I'll be doing anything with it is when I dust or add another component to the audio cabinet.

I wonder though how much I'll need to change when I finally have the dreaded echo out of my living room.
    If you got a SPL meter, just do the measurements and start reading up on how to setup the BFD filters. One of the fun things about the BFD is that you can program multiple profiles and EQ curves.

The only time you will need to change the settings is if you change the location of the sub and/or seating location. Getting the echo out of your living room might not do much to alter the bass, since most materials have minimal effect on low frequencies.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'll second Wooch. I didn't find REW to be very accurate - it seemed the adjustments it made had consequences on frequencies, and it didn't bother to correct them. Granted it only suggested 3 filters to me as well, and I use 5 (including a deliberate boost around my subs F6 to extend response). Easier in some ways but I'm not sure that software is better than YPAO or Audyssey EQ, and many users of those systems report issues too. Still, it is better than trial and error and gets you close for quick results so it's a worthwhile option and will be great for some people. YMMV.

I think the manual method definitely gives you a better idea of what is going on - it's a learning experience.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    That's Sonny Parker's BFD site (the other link is the OLD link to Sonny Parker's BFD site). Everybody that uses the BFD as a subwoofer EQ at one point or another will use his setup guide. It's by far the best resource on the web for the BFD. Behringer's instructions suck because subwoofer EQing is not the BFD's primary function. They're helpful if you intend for your BFD to double as a feedback attenuator for your concert audio setup, otherwise they suck.
    I'll drink to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooch
    If you're seeing the Room EQ Wizard instructions, look for the link taking you to Parker's previous BFD guide version that has the manual measurement instructions. That has instructions, plus spreadsheets and correction charts for doing manual measurement using a Radio Shack SPL meter.
    Got it, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooch
    ...But, a lot of the guys that hang out on the BFDGuide forum are Java programmers, and the REW app is their baby and it's constantly getting revised and retooled. If you already have a USB soundcard and a calibrated mic, you might have a great time with that tool, since it gives you all sorts of other audio measurements and visuals. Plus, it's right in Richie Rich's price range ... FREE!!!!!!
    I'll drink to that too!

Suspended
    Okay, the BFD's up and running. I remembered to set the operating level correctly on the back of the unit, and heard no 60 Hz hum when I powered it on. I then set it to Bypass mode so there would be no active filtering. I spent most of my available time today getting the sub level set according to the BFD Guide that's been linked to. The test movie I used was the BD version of The Dark Knight, and the Dolby TrueHD audio format. I played it "at the maximum level you would listen to it", monitored the input level and ajusted the sub-out level at the receiver until the level meter on the BFD just barely hit the red LED. I used the scene where Bruce and Alfred are testing a bullet using that gun they had setup in the lab. There were 4 shots fired, and when the 3rd shot went off, that's when the meter peaked into the red.

After I finished that step, I then used my test DVD that I got when I sub'ed to Sound & Vision mag a couple of years ago called "Home Theater Tune-Up" to level off the sub using it's volume control, all the while using my SPL meter to ensure it's level matched the left-front speaker reference level. So, the result of all this was improved LFE volume in my listening area during the movie.

That's as far as I went today because... well, the rest of the movie distracted me from the task at hand, then I switch over to the NASCAR race. If anything here doesn't sound right (I know my level setup description might sound vague), let me know.

One question that kept coming up during all this is that the lights on the "Engine L" & "Engine R" "Couple" control buttons were lit solid. I assume this doesn't matter since I'm in Bypass mode correct?

Cool

[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]Haven't done anything yet kex. Getting ready for tomorrow's party.

Sunday SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Gee, this joint is jumpin' today!!!

One question that kept coming up during all this is that the lights on the "Engine L" & "Engine R" "Couple" control buttons were lit solid. I assume this doesn't matter since I'm in Bypass mode correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Got the answer Rich. With both left and right lights lit, filters that are set up for one engine are applied to the other. To disengage one, hold both buttons down briefly and the left channel will remain lit. You're connected to the Left Engine so you'll now be working with the correct one.

Okay, the BFD's up and running. I remembered to set the operating level correctly on the back of the unit, and heard no 60 Hz hum when I powered it on. I then set it to Bypass mode so there would be no active filtering. I spent most of my available time today getting the sub level set according to the BFD Guide that's been linked to. The test movie I used was the BD version of The Dark Knight, and the Dolby TrueHD audio format. I played it "at the maximum level you would listen to it", monitored the input level and ajusted the sub-out level at the receiver until the level meter on the BFD just barely hit the red LED. I used the scene where Bruce and Alfred are testing a bullet using that gun they had setup in the lab. There were 4 shots fired, and when the 3rd shot went off, that's when the meter peaked into the red.

After I finished that step, I then used my test DVD that I got when I sub'ed to Sound & Vision mag a couple of years ago called "Home Theater Tune-Up" to level off the sub using it's volume control, all the while using my SPL meter to ensure it's level matched the left-front speaker reference level. So, the result of all this was improved LFE volume in my listening area during the movie.

That's as far as I went today because... well, the rest of the movie distracted me from the task at hand, then I switch over to the NASCAR race. If anything here doesn't sound right (I know my level setup description might sound vague), let me know.

I used U571, depth charge scene

I may go back in and finally finish up. I knocked down my peaks and got some good results but my plan was to go back in and do a better job when I had free time. Or maybe not, I've been busy lately. BTW, I haven't forgot about you. I'll get that out soon.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information