Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    I decided to download the test tones Zip file from THTS's downloads page and then burnt them to a CD. I have the test tones that range from 16 - 160 Hz, and each one plays on my Oppo player for about ten seconds.

I'm concerned that I didn't set my measurements level correctly during that part of the setup. When I used the Dark Knight scene to get the peak (barely "clipping") level by adjusting the sub level at the receiver I didn't make note of the receiver's volume. I then used the S&V HT Tune-up disk's test tones to adjust the level at the sub's amp to equal the other speakers (I had to decrease the level by about 5 dB). I then went back to the receiver's test tones to get 70 dB on the SPL meter by adjusting the receiver's volume to -5 dB. Am I supposed to be using that level setting on the receiver when I start running the test tones, or should I be using the receiver level I didn't make note of, meaning I have to set up the level all over again? Also, I assume that since the meter on the BFD never went into the red when I was running the test tones I don't have to worry about harming the sub, correct?

A couple of things I did notice when I played the d/l'ed test tones with the receiver @ -15 dB... a picture on my wall at a location diagonal from the sub and very close to the corner of the room started rattling at the lower end of the frequency range, and the glassware in a china cabinet very close to the sub started rattling during the upper range frequencies. This scared me the first time I heard these and rushed to turn the receiver's volume down. I ran the sweep again, this time standing in the corner by the picture and realized just why it was rattling. So I learned that there is some serious gathering of the lows over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I decided to download the test tones Zip file from THTS's downloads page and then burnt them to a CD. I have the test tones that range from 16 - 160 Hz, and each one plays on my Oppo player for about ten seconds.

I'm concerned that I didn't set my measurements level correctly during that part of the setup. When I used the Dark Knight scene to get the peak (barely "clipping") level by adjusting the sub level at the receiver I didn't make note of the receiver's volume. I then used the S&V HT Tune-up disk's test tones to adjust the level at the sub's amp to equal the other speakers (I had to decrease the level by about 5 dB). I then went back to the receiver's test tones to get 70 dB on the SPL meter by adjusting the receiver's volume to -5 dB. Am I supposed to be using that level setting on the receiver when I start running the test tones, or should I be using the receiver level I didn't make note of, meaning I have to set up the level all over again? Also, I assume that since the meter on the BFD never went into the red when I was running the test tones I don't have to worry about harming the sub, correct?
    Once the input level is set on the BFD, the AVR's sub output shouldn't be adjusted after that. You use the sub to adjust the volume. If I remember correctly, I used the test disc to adjust the output to 75db and made note of my AVR volume to play the rest of the tones at.

Sounds like your moving along just fine. My meter hits red sometimes. Maybe on the most dynamic scenes. Usually in the green though.

BTW, I have my sub bumped up about 3-4 db higher than the rest of my speakers

A couple of things I did notice when I played the d/l'ed test tones with the receiver @ -15 dB... a picture on my wall at a location diagonal from the sub and very close to the corner of the room started rattling at the lower end of the frequency range, and the glassware in a china cabinet very close to the sub started rattling during the upper range frequencies. This scared me the first time I heard these and rushed to turn the receiver's volume down. I ran the sweep again, this time standing in the corner by the picture and realized just why it was rattling. So I learned that there is some serious gathering of the lows over there.
    Once you start getting those peaks knocked down, you'll notice a lot smoother bass response. I could barely adjust my sub level correctly because my spl meter needle was bouncing everywhere. Now it's nice and steady. I could also raise my sub's volume. I had to lower the volume due to the nasty peak I had. All good stuff. I couldn't get the full potential of my sub without the BFD.

Suspended
    Funny, I was just getting ready to post something here just to keep the thread from falling under the radar...

Well, I haven't started taking measurements yet, but...

(drum roll please)

I think I've FINALLY gotten the right location for my sub,

AND...

I think I've FINALLY gotten my speakers level matched to the point where I'm hearing even more detail, and for the first time, hints of a true surround sound experience which, believe it or not, was sorely missing. I played a concert DVD in DTS and I heard instruments previously undetected (Tony Levin's bass guitar really hitting home), and voices with excellent tonal qualities. I'm suspecting some of that has to do with with the new position of the sub.

I read (yes, 3 - 4 times) the manual setup guide at HTS, and noticed that the author adjusted the receiver volume to hit +73 dB using the 16 Hz tone as the reference, so that clears up one of my questions.

I didn't take any readings last night (not to make excuses but...) because it was so warm out... +75 degrees HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! I had windows open throughout the house, and I have a busy street so it caused a lot of inconsistent readings at the meter. That jerk who drives a pickup truck with 1 billion watts of subwoofer power pinned my SPL meter when he drove by ( )

Anyway, thanks for stopping by L.J. I think I'm going to have fun with this project when I get the hang of the BFD.

Pretty interesting once you start working with it. I nice piece of gear but man is it ugly

Suspended
    "Ugly" = correct, that's why it will be co-habitating with the ugly Emotiva amp behind the cabinet door when all's said and done.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Ugly amp? I think it's quite stunning really. The LED's are a bit bright if you're in a small room, but in my larger dark room they look pretty cool.

Glad you're getting the hand of it Rich. You'll notice quite the difference. Do you have your speakers set to small or large? Worth going back later and experimenting with small if you don't have them that way already.

Suspended
    I think they're set to large. I used the Yamaha Receiver Manager s/w to set the levels so I wouldn't have to constantly start and stop the S&V disk while I was setting the levels using the GUI menu. That tool is coming in handy for this process.

So did anybody hear what I said... +75 degrees HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! ?

About 80 degrees today. Might just cook a steak on the grill for dinner.

I think they're set to large. I used the Yamaha Receiver Manager s/w to set the levels so I wouldn't have to constantly start and stop the S&V disk while I was setting the levels using the GUI menu. That tool is coming in handy for this process.

So did anybody hear what I said... +75 degrees HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! ?

About 80 degrees today. Might just cook a steak on the grill for dinner.
    That's way too hot for this time of year. How can you put up with it?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    No such thing as "way too hot for this time of year". No sir!

It's unnatural. Call Gore.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It's unnatural. Call Gore.
    i agree, stop global warming, we need the ice for parties.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Suspended
    I never should've said it. It just encourages the alarmist camp I suppose.

(A high of 80 degrees today.)

Hold on everybody! Somebody here said something ultra-important, and we missed it.

Rich, you said something about the weather. Cute, but boring. That wasn't it.
    I said something about Gore. Smart, but that's not it either.
    That leaves f0rge. You said something about global warming. That's just stupid. NOT IT! Oh wait. Here is is. You also said "PARTIES!"
    THAT'S IT! That was the equation. Parties cancel out boredom.
    BRILLIANT!
    Who's got the drinks?

Suspended
    Here's a question...

For those with a PS3 (and BFD of course), would you use it or your DVD player to run the test tones when setting up a preset for movie playback?

Here's a question...

For those with a PS3 (and BFD of course), would you use it or your DVD player to run the test tones when setting up a preset for movie playback?
    PS3 since it's my main source. You can set up a different set of filters for each source if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Who's got the drinks?
    i could totally go for a couple of beers right about now, first round is on me
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Rich was caught groping Jess in public.

Rich, I set you up with a nice girl, and this is how you treat her?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I used U571, depth charge scene
    U571 Blu-ray is on its way. I'll see how it compares to the Dark Night scene I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I may go back in and finally finish up. I knocked down my peaks and got some good results but my plan was to go back in and do a better job when I had free time. Or maybe not, I've been busy lately. BTW, I haven't forgot about you. I'll get that out soon.
    Enjoy some beers while you're working. I know I will.

U571 Blu-ray is on its way. I'll see how it compares to the Dark Night scene I was using.

I don't think the input level needs to be perfect so you'll be a ok. I rarely see red. Actually, it's closed off in a cabinet so I don't pay any attention to it anymore.

BTW, if your like me....it's gonna take a couple of hours from start to finish. I was getting tired of hearing all the tones over and over so I got some ear plugs for next time.

The red just means the BFD is close to clipping the signal....it's not optimal if it goes much beyond that...sort of the final warning. I would just turn the volume on the sub up a bit, and manually decrease the sub level in the receiver's settings a bit to compensate.

Rich, setting filters is a iterative process. Set your first 2 filters (starting low to high) and then measure again, you may find some other frequencies outside the target range were affected...especially multiples of the frequency in question.

When you get really brave with it you can use it to boost your subs lower frequencies a bit to compensate for where it starts to roll off. It's sort of cheating but it's a great little perk to this thing.

Suspended
    Well I've completed reading the manual setup guide (I'll still be using it step-by-step) and I'm going to start in on it this weekend.

The thing that still bugs me is the logic behind the level setup. Isn't all this referencing movies for loud passages, all the way through adjusting the sub level at its amp kind of arbitrary? Compounded further by the fact that, like L.J. says, the loud passage doesn't really have to peak in the red? I understand kex what the red LED is indicating, but all the pre-measuring excercises seem kind of irrelevant to me.

Might want to add Master and Commander to your playlist. IMO, that's the gold standard for movie soundtracks. Deep, tight bass plus amazingly three-dimensional surround imaging. This track is not only great for subwoofer demos, but it's also one of the best soundtracks for checking your surround speaker placement.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Well I've completed reading the manual setup guide (I'll still be using it step-by-step) and I'm going to start in on it this weekend.

The thing that still bugs me is the logic behind the level setup. Isn't all this referencing movies for loud passages, all the way through adjusting the sub level at its amp kind of arbitrary? Compounded further by the fact that, like L.J. says, the loud passage doesn't really have to peak in the red? I understand kex what the red LED is indicating, but all the pre-measuring excercises seem kind of irrelevant to me.
    If you're hitting the red LED on the BFD, then you might want to dial back the subwoofer level from your receiver and compensate for that by raising the level on the subwoofer itself. You'll still wind up with the same decibel level, but you won't get a distorted/clipped signal sent through the BFD.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    That's what I did Wooch. The setup guide says it's okay if the level hits the "Clip" LED occasionally (I know what clipping is), but I mean, I could run level tests with different movie tracks all day and I'd never get the same results twice, so that's why it just seems arbitrary to me. Other than the fact that clipping is not good.

It's not really arbitrary, but it is splitting hairs a bit. We're only recommending you bump the volume on the sub up and turn the gain from the receiver down to minimize any clipping possibilities on every sound track. Some movies will be a bit louder than others, what you want to avoid is the BFD clipping the signal before it reaches the sub's amp. The sub's amp will amplify what it receives until it's clipping point, and you most likely have more headroom on the sub than you do on the receiver. But still, you could probably leave it the way you have it and not notice any clipping effects as long as you own it. It's just a question of how sure you want to be.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information