• 06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
    Worf101
    Ain't it Funny How Vizio.....
    Once it got "decent' reviews and semi-respectable, has jacked up it's prices to where they're HIGHER than some top tier brands. I was looking for a small LCD 27 to 30 inches for a friends bedroom and the Vizio priced for 1080P at those prices is outrageous.

    My how the worm has turned.

    Worf
  • 06-08-2011, 11:08 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Once it got "decent' reviews and semi-respectable, has jacked up it's prices to where they're HIGHER than some top tier brands. I was looking for a small LCD 27 to 30 inches for a friends bedroom and the Vizio priced for 1080P at those prices is outrageous.

    My how the worm has turned.

    Worf

    Worf,
    It is not the reviews that is driving up their prices, it is them trying to shake off the "cheap low performing panel" their name is associated with. This means you have to use better quality parts than you use to, which drives up the cost of the panel. In spite of the "decent" reviews(they have moved up a bit in panel ratings), they still have some issues with black levels, and dynamic contrast. Color accuracy among their models has improved, but still not up to the level of the first tier models from the majors.

    One has to also look at the fact that the majors have so cut the price of their panels, that buying a Vizio may not even make sense anymore. Their prices are becoming comparable, with the majors overall panel performance being much higher than Vizio.
  • 06-08-2011, 12:57 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Vizio was always the best bargain in the panel business, great
    quality at a decent price(I still have two, one five years or so old).
    But that's what you do, start out with a low price, once everybody
    knows your basic goodness, start charging accordingly, marketing
    101.
    Know quite a few folks that have Vizio , only complainers are
    the likes of sir talky, trying to sell the notion of 5,000
    underperforming (for the price) plasma sets in order to justify their purchase of same. THE ONLY reason I bought LG last time was I prefer their picture, but that could change next time.
    VIZIO deserves their success, more power to em, any slight price increase is well worth what they are selling. AND THEY
    are still the cheapest most places, still a great bargain regardless.:1:
  • 06-08-2011, 05:11 PM
    recoveryone
    Let me cut through some of dust here and just point out the basic of supply and demand. Vizio has been one of the top sellers in the US for the last 2-3 years. so with that track record and masking itself as one of the last US made brands it feels it has a strong enough foot hold in the market that it can raise its prices to compete with higher brand names. If you have been watching the news lately you would have seen the big push towards made in America. people will pay a little more if they feel it will keep their fellow Americans employed and stop sending our hard earn dollars oversees. Some of us my remember that late 70's early 80's union campaign about "Look for the Made in the USA label", same mentality here.
  • 06-09-2011, 03:14 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    Worf,
    It is not the reviews that is driving up their prices, it is them trying to shake off the "cheap low performing panel" their name is associated with. This means you have to use better quality parts than you use to, which drives up the cost of the panel. In spite of the "decent" reviews(they have moved up a bit in panel ratings), they still have some issues with black levels, and dynamic contrast. Color accuracy among their models has improved, but still not up to the level of the first tier models from the majors.

    One has to also look at the fact that the majors have so cut the price of their panels, that buying a Vizio may not even make sense anymore. Their prices are becoming comparable, with the majors overall panel performance being much higher than Vizio.

    Quote:

    , they still have some issues with black levels, and dynamic contrast. Color accuracy among their models has improved, but still not up to the level of the first tier models from the majors.
    Terrence...that might be the word on the street and in print, but I bought a Vizio 2 months ago...and before I did, you best believe I did the research in touch, feel and sight...did my comparing to the big boys and I can tell you first had my Vizio is excellent in picture and all that comes with that. Right up there with what I compared it to. Don't know about you, but I don't always believe what I hear from the haters out there....My Vizio has an outstanding performance and the price was right, my sister has a high end Sony which is outstanding in picture and a price tag twice what I paid, the Vizio's picture is a notch behind her picture, and it takes a trained eye to tell.... aint bad for what the word on the street calls a second tier model...that's my take and ima going with that.
  • 06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Terrence...that might be the word on the street and in print, but I bought a Vizio 2 months ago...and before I did, you best believe I did the research in touch, feel and sight...did my comparing to the big boys and I can tell you first had my Vizio is excellent in picture and all that comes with that. Right up there with what I compared it to. Don't know about you, but I don't always believe what I hear from the haters out there....My Vizio has an outstanding performance and the price was right, my sister has a high end Sony which is outstanding in picture and a price tag twice what I paid, the Vizio's picture is a notch behind her picture, and it takes a trained eye to tell.... aint bad for what the word on the street calls a second tier model...that's my take and ima going with that.

    RO,
    You can by right go on whatever you desire, but I stick pretty close to measurements and side by side comparisons, rather than opinions that are made with a significant time difference in viewing, and no mention of proper calibration. When compared side by side, and properly calibrated, even the current models of Vizio televisions fall from the middle, to the lower end of the pack when compared to first, second, and third tier models from other manufacturers. While I am glad you are enjoying your Vizio, actual measurements and visual comparison with other models in real time are a trump card for me.
  • 06-09-2011, 12:27 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by recoveryone View Post
    Let me cut through some of dust here and just point out the basic of supply and demand. Vizio has been one of the top sellers in the US for the last 2-3 years. so with that track record and masking itself as one of the last US made brands it feels it has a strong enough foot hold in the market that it can raise its prices to compete with higher brand names. If you have been watching the news lately you would have seen the big push towards made in America. people will pay a little more if they feel it will keep their fellow Americans employed and stop sending our hard earn dollars oversees. Some of us my remember that late 70's early 80's union campaign about "Look for the Made in the USA label", same mentality here.

    You are correct in one way...Vizio is masking itself as a made in America product. However, just like every other brand of television in its price category, it is made in China, and everyone knows this.
  • 06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Terrence...that might be the word on the street and in print, but I bought a Vizio 2 months ago...and before I did, you best believe I did the research in touch, feel and sight...did my comparing to the big boys and I can tell you first had my Vizio is excellent in picture and all that comes with that. Right up there with what I compared it to. Don't know about you, but I don't always believe what I hear from the haters out there....My Vizio has an outstanding performance and the price was right, my sister has a high end Sony which is outstanding in picture and a price tag twice what I paid, the Vizio's picture is a notch behind her picture, and it takes a trained eye to tell.... aint bad for what the word on the street calls a second tier model...that's my take and ima going with that.

    THANK YOU.
    Talkys problem is that he has been so busy slamming just about
    every brand of flat panel(especially VIZIO) trying to push plasma
    sets that he hasn't noticed that his credibility is suffering.
    This is a problem faced by a corp shill.
    Its not just VIZIO, he also said that my LG had THREE HUNDRED lines of resolution!!! This would put it in a league with any NTSC
    SD set!
    ANY modern 1080p set is going to get 900 lines at least without
    hardly trying.
    WHO DOES Talky always quote? a PANNY shill masquerading
    as impartial while his website is covered in PANNY BLUE.
    So take his "facts" with a grain of salt, as you would with anybody trying to sell something.
    PANASONIC built a huge plasma factory at the worst possible time, they have a lot of product to push.
    AND I am still ticked at all of the assaults on both VIZIO and LG
    in particular, and LCD tech in general.
    THE FIRST CARS could not clear a hundred miles an hour, but won the day eventually. LCD is going to be the dominant
    display tech until OLED is perfected, maybe even after.:1:
  • 06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pixelthis View Post
    Vizio was always the best bargain in the panel business, great
    quality at a decent price(I still have two, one five years or so old).
    But that's what you do, start out with a low price, once everybody
    knows your basic goodness, start charging accordingly, marketing
    101.
    Know quite a few folks that have Vizio , only complainers are
    the likes of sir talky, trying to sell the notion of 5,000
    underperforming (for the price) plasma sets in order to justify their purchase of same. THE ONLY reason I bought LG last time was I prefer their picture, but that could change next time.
    VIZIO deserves their success, more power to em, any slight price increase is well worth what they are selling. AND THEY
    are still the cheapest most places, still a great bargain regardless.:1:

    They are not a bargain any more as Worf has pointed out. The good thing that vizio does have is a supply contract with Sam's Club, and Walmart....the homes of cheap price low quality products.
  • 06-09-2011, 12:49 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    They are not a bargain any more as Worf has pointed out. The good thing that vizio does have is a supply contract with Sam's Club, and Walmart....the homes of cheap price low quality products.

    CHEAP maybe but certainly not low quality.
    One is going on six years and the other on three, with no problems whatsoever.
    THE thing is, the 42" I sold to my dad evoked an unusual
    response. HE watches a lot of TV, but has never praised a TV like he has praised this one, he loves it, really.
    AND at the end of the day, that will sell sets more than anything,
    mainly a decent picture, people will pay more for one.
    AND vizio has figured out a good formula for one.
    If you waited while they built market share with artificially low prices,
    TOUGH LUCK, you will have to pay a price closer to what they are worth.:1:
  • 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pixelthis View Post
    CHEAP maybe but certainly not low quality.
    One is going on six years and the other on three, with no problems whatsoever.
    THE thing is, the 42" I sold to my dad evoked an unusual
    response. HE watches a lot of TV, but has never praised a TV like he has praised this one, he loves it, really.
    AND at the end of the day, that will sell sets more than anything,
    mainly a decent picture, people will pay more for one.
    AND vizio has figured out a good formula for one.
    If you waited while they built market share with artificially low prices,
    TOUGH LUCK, you will have to pay a price closer to what they are worth.:1:

    There are Westinghouse and Coby televisions still working, but that does not mean they are quality products. In many ways, Vizio and Westinghouse have something in common.
  • 06-10-2011, 07:36 AM
    Worf101
    Yeah...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    There are Westinghouse and Coby televisions still working, but that does not mean they are quality products. In many ways, Vizio and Westinghouse have something in common.

    Tell me about it. I've a 42-inch Westy in my bedroom. I hink I reveiwed it here too. Bottom line. Big, cheap and was better than my CRT but in no way shap or fashion is it even close to my Samsung downstairs but it also cost a lot less. I made that choice myself and don't regret it. I'll hand it down to the kid when he gets his first apartment or something like that.

    Worf
  • 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Tell me about it. I've a 42-inch Westy in my bedroom. I hink I reveiwed it here too. Bottom line. Big, cheap and was better than my CRT but in no way shap or fashion is it even close to my Samsung downstairs but it also cost a lot less. I made that choice myself and don't regret it. I'll hand it down to the kid when he gets his first apartment or something like that.

    Worf

    Westinghouse started out with some decent reviews.
    There will always be a place for the WESTINGHOUSES of the
    world.
    SOMETIMES perfection is not possible or even desired(because of price). Paying too much attention to the gear and not the media
    is no way to live.:1:
  • 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    RO,
    You can by right go on whatever you desire, but I stick pretty close to measurements and side by side comparisons, rather than opinions that are made with a significant time difference in viewing, and no mention of proper calibration. When compared side by side, and properly calibrated, even the current models of Vizio televisions fall from the middle, to the lower end of the pack when compared to first, second, and third tier models from other manufacturers. While I am glad you are enjoying your Vizio, actual measurements and visual comparison with other models in real time are a trump card for me.

    Well...Terrence...I don't have the professional training that you may have in this, but thanks for at least being happy for me. I really do enjoy the Vizio....end the end thats what really matters.
  • 06-10-2011, 04:08 PM
    frenchmon
    Bigger things to make a fuss over!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pixelthis;362055[B
    ]THANK YOU.[/B]
    Talkys problem is that he has been so busy slamming just about
    every brand of flat panel(especially VIZIO) trying to push plasma
    sets that he hasn't noticed that his credibility is suffering.
    This is a problem faced by a corp shill.
    Its not just VIZIO, he also said that my LG had THREE HUNDRED lines of resolution!!! This would put it in a league with any NTSC
    SD set!
    ANY modern 1080p set is going to get 900 lines at least without
    hardly trying.
    WHO DOES Talky always quote? a PANNY shill masquerading
    as impartial while his website is covered in PANNY BLUE.
    So take his "facts" with a grain of salt, as you would with anybody trying to sell something.
    PANASONIC built a huge plasma factory at the worst possible time, they have a lot of product to push.
    AND I am still ticked at all of the assaults on both VIZIO and LG
    in particular, and LCD tech in general.
    THE FIRST CARS could not clear a hundred miles an hour, but won the day eventually. LCD is going to be the dominant
    display tech until OLED is perfected, maybe even after.:1:

    Your welcome!

    Weather Terrence is just talking a con or not, I don't know. Its not worth me getting all bent out of shape over it....in my real world experience the Vizio is just outstanding and the price was right. I got a 3 year warranty so I aint sweating any bullets over here about a TV.....got bigger fish to worry about, like my 5 year just getting diagnosed with mild autism....but I will be making another Vizio purchase in the future if the one I have keeps on performing like it is.
  • 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    They are not a bargain any more as Worf has pointed out. The good thing that vizio does have is a supply contract with Sam's Club, and Walmart....the homes of cheap price low quality products.

    Ahhh now you using a very broad brush....My Vita Mix was a good $500 and it aint got cheap parts...:ciappa:
  • 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
    frenchmon
    You guys sound like a bunch of TV snobbs....
  • 06-11-2011, 03:27 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    You guys sound like a bunch of TV snobbs....

    I am no more a snob on video than the audio guys are on audio. Whether you are strongly into home theater or audio, or both, you want the best performance you can get for the dollar. Most audio guys believe a receiver will never be good enough as a pre-pro for a high end system. I would say the same for a Vizio television in the world of video. Vizio's are good for casual applications, like a second set in a bedroom. However, nobody in their right mind would recommend one for their primary viewing area, if performance is a big factor.

    When you have owned, or own a Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic set, Vizio cannot sit in the same room. The mid price sets from these companies outperform the high end Vizio sets. In many cases their lower tier sets do as well. Considering Vizio recent price hikes, it is no longer a real value when based on price versus performance factors.

    As I have said before, whomever has purchased a Vizio set, enjoy it. But just keep it real what you have purchased. Vizio is not made for prime time, or prime space in a home theater where performance is major factor.
  • 06-11-2011, 03:29 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Ahhh now you using a very broad brush....My Vita Mix was a good $500 and it aint got cheap parts...:ciappa:

    The same cannot be said for a Vizio Television. ;)
  • 06-11-2011, 03:32 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pixelthis View Post
    Westinghouse started out with some decent reviews.
    There will always be a place for the WESTINGHOUSES of the
    world.
    SOMETIMES perfection is not possible or even desired(because of price). Paying too much attention to the gear and not the media
    is no way to live.:1:

    You cannot get the best out of the media unless you have a display that can accurately render it. A Vizio set does not do that, at any price range.
  • 06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    You cannot get the best out of the media unless you have a display that can accurately render it. A Vizio set does not do that, at any price range.

    THERE IS a difference between "accurate " and anal retentive.
    AS FOR vizio, several million satisfied customers disagree with you.
    AS FOR BEING A "SNOB", ...please, your nose is so high in the air that it has a permanent case of frostbite.:1:
  • 06-12-2011, 04:21 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pixelthis View Post
    THERE IS a difference between "accurate " and anal retentive.

    You are correct! The former you know nothing about, and the latter you are the exact opposite of.

    Quote:

    AS FOR vizio, several million satisfied customers disagree with you.
    All this proves is several million people settled for mediocrity. Those several million are probably watching movies on DVD as well.


    Quote:

    AS FOR BEING A "SNOB", ...please, your nose is so high in the air that it has a permanent case of frostbite.:1:
    And you nose is so low that is has become an extension of your ass. Pixelated trollish one....surely with all the things going wrong with you (and there are many), you could do better than these tired, weak, wimpy and busted little juvenile comments.

    Your becoming a bore bustapixel.
  • 06-13-2011, 03:54 AM
    Worf101
    Ahem....
    All I'm saying is that Visio's ain't such a bargain anymore.... Not that it has poor this or excellent that, just that its no longer cheap.... IN PRICE.

    Worf
  • 06-13-2011, 04:22 AM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    All I'm saying is that Visio's ain't such a bargain anymore.... Not that it has poor this or excellent that, just that its no longer cheap.... IN PRICE.

    Worf

    Lol, my otherworldly friend, you didn't think that this thread would actually stay on message did you?
  • 06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Lol, my otherworldly friend, you didn't think that this thread would actually stay on message did you?

    Anytime a certain uneducated one(pixel) contributes to any thread, it requires boots and something to plug your nose when he is done.