Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ok, let me give you some friendly advice...

This site is great for opinions, feedback, and to learn about audio, video, etc. However, it's one thing to ask for everyone's opinion on what to buy or what 'we' think is better, but it really should be your final decision and so if you are wondering if this will sound better than that....try and check it out for yourself. There is virtually no way for one of 'us' to be know the definite answer to questions when we are not using the exact same gear under the exact same conditions. So my advice would be to use this site to your advantage, but also experiment yourself. Good Luck.

long live Stereo

mission 753 Freedom

i have used Mission 753 Freedom along with Nad C320BEE the sound was very good ......check that out before u buy something else.....

dev.

Forum Regular
    thanks everyone for their great input through these past few months, i've finally bought the Paradigm Reference Studio 20. they are absolutely mind blowing!!!!!!!! i'm virtually speechless! the best i've heard. thank you everybody.

Forum Regular
    now the other big question what amp to use? i want to upgrade the nad so anyone have any advice as how to upgrade? how about the audiolab 8000a?

Oh boy!

Well, since you like the Paradigm Studios you first have to know what their impedance response is and how efficent they are. Once you know that you can select a few amps in your price range that are suited to drive them while having enough power not to fail or become stressed. Once you have that list done it is time to hear those amplifiers in your home. I am not sure many dealers will let you demo at home at a not so highish price level but maybe you can find a nice dealer. My experience with most dealers is that if you shop in the general area of 5K that the service is **** and not much more then their typical stuff. Move to 10K or more and they start kissing your ass like it was Denise Richards (ok i got a soft spot for her) ;-)

A good companys that springs to my mind that could be a well match would be Bryston.

Cheers

Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Anthem PVA 20 would be perfect!

EDIT... sorry, I should have said, MCA 20, but the PVA 2 is a good amp... I have a PVA 2 running a pair of VR-1's and they sound great, also have the PVA-7 for my HT which also works great!
    the PVA may not be more power than the NAD...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    thanks guys for the input. the fact really is that i'm not in a position to spend big bucks on a amp, so i'm looking for something on a budget.

i auditioned a rotel ra06 amp and it goes damn well with the studio 20's, but its fairly pricey, about USD600 here in singapore. so hence i'm looking for a second hand amp.anyway there is a audiolab 8000a second hand, and i would like someones advice whether it will go really well with the studio 20's because i cant bring the amp home to audition, they wont let me and i cant cart the speakers there either.

why i mean will it go really well is because i'm trying to upgrade and there is no point if it just sounds ok. i know my budget is not really great to upgrade but i'm still only a student and therefore might only be able to afford second hand gear.

I got my PVA-2 and a B&K PT3 s2 for ~$425 on ebay... both in great condition...
    now shipping was about about another $75 on these things...

I'm not familar with the NAD 3020i but it may be worth it to use this amp with your studio's untill you can afford an amp which matches these speakers?
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by tony340
    Well JRA, to answer your questions, YES I DO OWN A CAR, its a BMW 7 SERIES and i made that decision because i'm a car enthusiast and i got the best for the money.
    Yes i do own 3 Houses in South Africa, Singapore and Sri Lanka, i bought them because my Wife and i love what these countries have to offer and we made the best choice with the money, and i obviously have furniture (THAT WAS DUMB!!) And yes i do have several pairs of shoes,(THAT TOO WAS DUMB!!)I Obviously i was extremely offended by your remarks and i'm unable to say exactly how i feel because me vocabulary wont allow me to on this forum, which i think is a great one.
    But none the less i must THANK YOU for your advice earlier and thats how i got to know about the Studio 20's and i think i'll get them.
    But you really pissed me off and am glad that you wont be on this thread anymore.

why i mean will it go really well is because i'm trying to upgrade and there is no point if it just sounds ok. i know my budget is not really great to upgrade but i'm still only a student and therefore might only be able to afford second hand gear..

So, a guy with a BMW 7 series and 3 houses is now a student with only $600 bucks to blow on a new amp?

For those that may not know or have not read the thread, JRA accurately tagged this guy as a troll, and this was this piece of work's response.

I know a couple of guys with 7 series BMWs and not a one would fret over such a purchase, i.e. $600 amp to match $800 speakers. Their monthy bar tabs are more than that. Actually, they both own Lifestyle systems.

Tony, if you not a troll, then get an Arcam A65 integrated. They go for @ $500 and match extremely well with the 20. If you are a troll, as I think you are, then well.... feel my pwnage.
    Last edited by SlumpBuster; 11-26-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Forum Regular
    The Big Issue Here Is That Jra And Now As I See It The Slumpbuster Too Have Got Severe Attitude Problems, They Have Lost The Whole Point In This Forum As To Be Talking Of Audio Related Topics And Not This S**t.

Look I Dont Want To Kind Of Go Down To The Cheap Cock That These Two Members Want To Go Down To, Because My Vocabulary Wont Let Me To, So All I'm Asking Is Will The Audiolab 8000a Be A Good Match With The Studio 20's Or Is There Something Else I Should Get Instead???

And Just To Get To The Point Slumpbuster, You May Be Living In A Goddamn Country Where A Bmw 7 Series Would Cost Your Ass But Thanks To My Dad And Brother Who Are Two Of The Biggest Businessmen In The Country, I Have All That. The Audio Issue Is Is Something Of A Hobby That Has Got Hold Of Me Of Late And I'm Trying It The Hard Way By Trying To Work For It. In Fact If I Want Them To Buy It For Me Then I Really Dont Have To Be In This Forum Cos My Brother Owns Meridiens And Mcintosh Gear!! In Fact Please You Wonderful People At Ar, Please Dont Take This As A Bad Point, Cos I Really Think That These Guys Have Got It All Wrong That I'm A Troll, Just Trying To Build Up My Setup In An Honest Way, Not Just Asking My Dad To Do It For Me.but Getting It With A Little Sweat.

Forum Regular
    So without further hindrences, i urge whoever to give me advice that i'm looking for, will the audiolab 8000a go very well with my studio 20's??? Because the guy at the shop is waiting for my reply, he wont allow me to take the amp and its a real pain to carry them to the shop. Or else what should i buy.?

If you have all that, then why are you buying cheap Paradigms and Audiolab stuff?

If you are in Singapure then go to the nearest Goldmund Dealer and buy a Goldmund Apologue speakers, Golmund Reference CD Transport and Goldmund Amplifiers and shut up!

The people on this forum are great and have tried to help you and if they find that A-Lab is a bad choice then accept it. But for godsacke stop the bull****!

Forum Regular
    So Obviously My Long Narrative Was To No Awail.......

Thats Ok I'll Just Keep My Cool Cos It Doesnt Really Matter What Anyone Thinks Anymore.

The Thing Is No One Told Me That Audiolab Is Rubbish, So You Cut Of The Bulls**t There Florian, I'm Really Loosing It Now.

All I Asked Was Will The Audiolab 8000a Go Well With My Studio 20, Thats All.

No it wont, its rubbish. Buy a good Bryston amp or similar.

-Flo

it indeed won't, it is rubbish, go out there spend some money on something decent, if you're going budget, that's fine, but at least buy something decent,

for a guy like you, what's that extra $200? we have the rotel ra-06, and i can't complain, it plays good, no issues at all, but for gods sake, listen to some advice too, please, if someone says he haves an amplifier, and he says it's good, then look for that too.

think about it,
    these guys helped me out alot,
    in fact, without them, i'd end up buying crap, and still don't know what to do with it,

just listen to them, ask questions, and trust them.

Peace,
    Basite
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Mutant from table 9
    Hey Tony, a troll is as a troll does. You keep asking the same question, "What amp should I get." Even though we keep giving suggestions. Rock suggested Anthem and B&K, Flo suggested Goldmund and Bryston, and I suggested Arcam.

So, go shopping already. Jeez!

P.S. Your brother's system blows!

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Hey Tony, a troll is as a troll does. You keep asking the same question, "What amp should I get." Even though we keep giving suggestions. Rock suggested Anthem and B&K, Flo suggested Goldmund and Bryston, and I suggested Arcam.

So, go shopping already. Jeez!

P.S. Your brother's system blows!
    I actually only meant the Brysron, Goldmund is darn overprized

Forum Regular
    thank you all very very much, i really appreciate the expert advice.

i'm very amateur in this hifi game and need a lot of advice.

thanks for also telling me that the audiolab is a piece of s**t!!

sorry for any misunderstanding that we've had but at the end of the day i'm glad the AR is the winner

thanks again EVERYBODY.

golden ear
    thank you all very very much, i really appreciate the expert advice.

i'm very amateur in this hifi game and need a lot of advice.

thanks for also telling me that the audiolab is a piece of s**t!!

sorry for any misunderstanding that we've had but at the end of the day i'm glad the AR is the winner

thanks again EVERYBODY.
    tony, paradigm makes use of anthem gears to tone their speakers. you might want to give them a listen through your 20's.if you dont like them, rotel, arcam, BnK are nice pairs for your 20's as well. a 70 to 150W power rating is more than enough to make your 20's sing so dont you worry on spending too much on the amps.

Forum Regular
    thanks accastil, i did listen to the Rotel RA-06 and it went brilliantly with the studio 20.

i was just wondering whether the RA-05 would be as good? its a 40 wpc as compared with the 70 wpc RA-06, but do you think there is a real big difference in the two?

Huh????

I need to also emphasise that i got a Brand new NAD C320BEE 2x50w RMS, Amplifier, which now is my main amp.........
    .................................................. .........................
    .................................................. ........................
    So to conclude my post, I have got a brand new NAD 50w C320BEE Amp and i need speakers that are best to match it.
    So now that you've found speakers that are a great match to it, why do you want to upgrade your brand knew NAD amp?

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Reid
    So now that you've found speakers that are a great match to it, why do you want to upgrade your brand knew NAD amp?
    Agreed. The NAD is a nice amp which if it matches with your speakers well, I don't see a reason to replace.

Forum Regular
    i feel the rotel sounds much better with the studio 20 than the nad.

thats why i ask whether there is a real difference between the RA-06 and the RA-05? i have only heard the 06

please let me know.

hmmm, i'd go for the RA-06, there is most likely to be a difference between the 2, being that the ra-06 might be able to give you more bass (more loudness in fact), it will also play a little cleaner, there is somekind of a rule (not really a rule, more a guideline), the more watts, the better, this, of course, does not apply for those cheap crappy party 'power' amps.
    anyways, i'd go for the RA-06, if you can, you should audition the ra-05 too, and whichever one you buy, they both have pre outs so you can add an extra amp (power amp) when you feel like you need more power.

Greetings,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

golden ear
    i feel the rotel sounds much better with the studio 20 than the nad.

thats why i ask whether there is a real difference between the RA-06 and the RA-05? i have only heard the 06

please let me know.
    if im not mistaken, the recommended amp range for the studio 20 ranges from 15 to 150w. i personally would recommend you to maximize the full potential of your 20's by choosing the amp nearest to 150w. the lower rated amps should be ok but then, the 20's might not give you what it is capable of delivering. im now using the rb03 for my 20's but im planning to replace it with the rb1070...i believe this would push my 20's further to its full potentials.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information