Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular
    Just deviating from the subject of speakers, there is this NAD C540 CD Player going for USD250, its in Pristine condition. Does anyone think that its better than my C521?? Is it worth the price??

Sounds like you have strong desire to purchase floorstanders. I'm not so sure if your receiver is powerful enough. Monitor 7s require at minimum of 15 watts. If you choose to go that route, make sure your floorstanding speakers doesnt require alot of power. Again, I've never audiotioned your NAD so if you can find a dealer near you, make sure to bring it with you and hear how they sound. If they wont let you hookup their speakers to your amp, I would kick them in their nuts and look else where.

-JRA

Forum Regular
    Somebody help!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah guys been busy with the usual stuff, and just got back to my hifi craze
    Any body got any info for me?? What speakers should i buy? By the way i did get a NAD C320BEE from a friend but i dont have decent speakers to hook it onto
    So fellows any advice?? I'm looking at KEF IQ5, Mission M35i and Paradigm Monitor 7 or Studio 20

Quote Originally Posted by tony340
    Somebody help!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking at KEF IQ5, Mission M35i and Paradigm Monitor 7 or Studio 20
    By someone, I'm assuming everyone but me, since you seem to ignore my previous post. I dont care, I'll still try to help.

Your receiver is rated at 15 watts. As I mentioned above, I have no experience with your NAD, but all of your speaker options are out. The receiver's power output is not capable of playing your speakers. Of course you can choose to do what you want. They are certain guidelines that may want to be strongly considered, but you may choose to ignore them. Alot of members here do including myself. Alot of speaker companies recommend placing tweeters at your ear-level. I prefer mine about 4-8" higher.

Go get a pair of Paradigm Atoms. I'm not too fond of them, but they are considered great pair of budget speakers by many.
    If you must get a pair from your list. Get a pair of Studio 20. They require least amount of wattages amoung the list. I think 20s require at MINIMUM of 15-20 watts. Bring your new receiver to a dealer near you and see if they allow you to hook it up.
    I even gave you a phone number of Paradigm dealer in Hong Kong. For that you MUST reply this back to me.

-Did you call them?
    -Is there a dealer near you?
    -Did you pay them a visit?

Of course you may choose not to. I have a feeling that if you dont, alot of members here may feel that you are impossible to help.
    I understand that every culture has different standard. For that, they may not allow you to bring in your gear to hookup to items that are not yours. I know in Japan, test drive of automobiles do no exist. Kinda like how Harley D do business in US. Once someone test drives speakers with your equipment, they may consider that item to be unsellable item. Another question for you.

-"Have you listened to any of those speakers with or without your NAD?".
    -"Have you had a chance to listen to them at all?
    -If Yes, :What did you think of them?"

If you like what you heard then go for it. I want to make sure for YOUR sake that your receivers are capable of driving most speakers. Let's go from there, and maybe we can help you.

I dont think your budget can exceed more than $600. I'm not going back and forth to your original post, but I dont think I'm way off. Consider increasing your budget and look for a pair of high efficent speakers above 95dbs that require no less than 15 watts. They tend to be more expensive.
    You may also want consider Klipsch RB61 or something. They have higher sensitivity in general than other speaker companys. I think their sensitivity really flucturates though.

I think you are in search for the ultimate answer to which speakek is the absolute best. Nobody here can answer you that, except for some irrational fools.

If you ended up getting a different receiver, I bet we can give you more help and other options. But I think you had your heart set on that receiver so we can work with that.

I hope you did find my post offensive. I just wanted to make certain things clear with you so we can help in very effective and efficent manner.

We are here to help, so give us detailed info on what you have done so far based on all of our help.

Good luck and we'll be waiting to hear what you've done with our help.

-JRA
    Last edited by jrhymeammo; 09-27-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Edit: I said Hong Kong. You live in Singapore.

Here is another info. You were looking for KEF dealer in your country. Try this. I can't and will not help you more at this stage, but others maybe able to.

http://www.kef.com/dealers/world_det...1&itemNumber=0

DISTRIBUTOR GP ACOUSTICS (SG) LIMITED
    ADDRESS 1 COLEMAN STREET
    #01-01A THE ADELPHI

CITY 179803
    COUNTRY SINGAPORE
    TELEPHONE
    FAX
    URL
    EMAIL kchew@gpacoustics.com.sg

-JRA

Forum Regular
    Thanks sooooo much JRA, i know i'm a pain in the ASS!! The thing is you guys are experts in this subject of hifi and i'm not! All i'm trying to do is get something good for a reasonable price.

I need to also emphasise that i got a Brand new NAD C320BEE 2x50w RMS, Amplifier, which now is my main amp and not the 3020, so i hooked it up with the Mission M35i at the agents and it sounded damn good. But my home is not carpeted and soundproofed like that at Mission, so i cant judge by that. I've not tried the KEF IQ5 with it.

To answwer your question about the Paradigm agent, Yes i did checkout the Paradigm dealer in Singapore, but i coudnt hook up my NAD with it bcos i wasnt able to take it, so yes i did call them up and i paid them a visit.

So to conclude my post, I have got a brand new NAD 50w C320BEE Amp and i need speakers that are best to match it.

Thanks also for the contact details of the KEF dealer, appreciate that.

TBrand new NAD C320BEE 2x50w RMS

Thank you tony340. I think that will help alot of us trying to help. I have no experience with mentioned speakers. I'll say all of the makers are solid choice. I would go with KEF myself, but others may say other wise. I came real close to buying KEF Reference 201s. I thought they sounded excellent. If I were you, I would go audition IQ5s so see if I would like it as much as 201s. We might've been under the impression that you have a 15-20w receiver. 50w receiver will give you alot of speakers to consider.

Just go with what you like. If you have some questions about history of spekaer companies, many of older members can help you with that.

Best Wishes.

-JRA

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    So to conclude my post, I have got a brand new NAD 50w C320BEE Amp and i need speakers that are best to match it.
    Good luck with that amp, I'm very happy with mine.

Forum Regular
    First, like a few others have said, listen, listen, listen. Your speakers influence the sound of your system morre than any other component, so live auditioning is the best way to get ones YOU like.

As for the Paradigm 7's, I wouldn't recommend them for the type of music you listen to. I auditioned a pair when I was shopping for speakers a few months ago and they sounded great. Accurate, good balance, tight and accurate mids, good imaging (for me the most important thing in a speaker). So why didn't I get them? Simply put, the bass wasn't there for a lot of the rock I auditioned. When paired with a subwoofer they sounded great on rock, but that pushed the price from seven hundred something to about thirteen hundred something. Too steep for me!

By the way, audition speakers using your amp, but also audition them with the best amps they have in house. This will give you an idea of how they'll perform when you make electronics upgrades.

Happy hunting!

Linear Guy
    Thanks, can anybody also advice me on the Paradigm Monitor 7 Floorstander? It is the same price as the Studio 20, dont you think that the Monitor 7 is worth more than the Studio 20? What i mean is you are getting a floorstander instead of a Bookshelf for the same price.
    And also i would have to spend on stands which will cost a fair packet, and i've heard that standmount speakers are never the same as floorstanders, and dont have the bass depth.
    I auditioned studio 20's and they were nearly a complete speaker. incredible bang for the buck in a monitor. Don't compare floorstanders to monitors just on price. The floorstanders have the potential to sound boxy in this price range. The monitor's are a mudh smaller source and sound more open. You can add a sub later if bass performance is not up to your standards. If you're stuck on getting a floor stander in your price range then check out Athena 2.2 or Axiom 60's. Both of these got positive reviews for sound and are considered over-performers. I have only heard Mission bookshelf speakers and they were fantastic.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Everybody for all your help. i really do appreciate it.
    I want to ask you Musiclover60, which speakers do you recommend? And also Daviethek, which mission bookshelf models do you recommend?

Forum Regular
    And also Daviethek, can you please tell me the exact model of the Athena and Axiom?
    Thanks

Forum Regular
    Hard call on speakers in that price range. As I said in my earlier post, I was shopping for speakers just a few months ago. I was armed with a budget of $600 - $700 and most of what I heard sounded like crap! Jacked the budget up to $1000, went to some good hi-fi stores, and then my $1000 looked puny! Don't dispair though! There are some very good speakers to be had in that price range (especially if you're willing to get 1 or 2 yr old used speakers).

Here are 4 in that general price range

Definitive Technology BP88b - These are the ones I ended up getting (1 1/2 yrs old used, $ 325). Great imaging, efficient, open sound (should pair nicely with NAD). They also have strong, tight, and surprisingly deep bass. The downside is placement is fairly critical, and midrange is slightly recessed. See my review in floor standing speaker review section. $798 new

Vandersteen 1C - These are the ones I would have bought if the deal on the def techs hadn't come along. Great imaging, keep getting better with electronic upgrades, good bass, treble is adjustable at speakers. The downside is placement is very critical to the sound. $800 or so with stands (which is a must with these speakers!)

Paradigm 7 - Not quite as good as the previous 2, but with a used subwoofer???

Polks - Don't have any great points, but don't have any glaring weaknesses either, and a few of them will surprise you!

Forum Regular
    Thanks Musiclover60, which ones can i buy now? the model you have is not there on the site anymore? ANd also can you tell me the agent in Singapore?
    Thanks

ANd also can you tell me the agent in Singapore?
    Thanks
    have you tried looking it up yourself?
    i think you should get a pair of studio 20. they sound excellent and it is respected by many. there is this place called cherry creek audio and they had studio 20s paired with nad receivers. i thought they were good match, go listen again and see what you think of it.

Forum Regular
    Ok thanks, but i wont be able to afford stands as well, so how can i place them without stands? Yes and i did try looking for the Def Tec agent, cudnt get anything outside the US

Forum Regular
    Hey chaps, anyone know of any second hand dealers of hifi in Singapore? I have been trying to get contacts but have got no results.. Please try and help.

If I were you, and I was using NAD I would first go with something like PSB since they work well together. In fact you could go to dmc-electronics website where they are authorized to sell both NAD and PSB. I have talked with PSB reps in the past and they highly recommend NAD components with their speakers, so that would be my first thought for you. It also depends a bit on your budget and if you didn't go with PSB I would say try something like Polk, but for the price of Polk you are probably better off going with the starter line of PSB's called Alpha. If you are ready to spend a bit more money than they have the Image line and the Stratus line. If you REALLY REALLY want to spend some dough they even have the Platinum line.

B&W are highly regarded as well, but I have little experience with them through NAD gear.

Forum Regular
    Hey thanks so much for your expert advice, appreciate it very much. My budget is around USD750, so any PSB speakers for me??

Forum Regular
    Fellows, i was told by many members to get brands like Definitive Technology and PSB etc, anyone got any further input to that??

Hey Tony340

Here is something you can read if you havent already.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=4419

Forum Regular
    Ok, the Studio 20 are damn good speakers, but they are very pricey for Bookshelves, so i really cant afford stands as well, but there was this guy who said that ATACAMA shoes will do the job well kept on a shelf, what do you think guys????

Well, I just looked at the dmc-electronics website and for $750 you could get ....

the PSB Image T55 for $649/pair or the PSB Image T65's for $813 if you wanted to spend a few more dollars. dmc-electronics is an authorized retailer for PSB, so I wouldn't shop anywhere else online.

Forum Regular
    Hey thanks mate for your help, i'll definitely try and audition them. I'm also thinking very seriously about the reference studio 20, i have asked about what you might think of fixing them with ATACAMA Shoes?? Anyone got any advice???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information