Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Question what speakers should i buy??

Hi, this is my first post and i hope you guys can help me out here.
    I listen to only 2 channel audio, and i'm trying to get a pair of speakers.
    My amp is a NAD 3020i and Cd player is a NAD C521, so i'm trying to get the best for this combination.
    I've auditioned the Mission m35i, and they sound very good, but there are also a pair of Mission 753Freedom which is also there with afriend of mine which i've to consider.

Can anybody advice me? I listen to mainly Dire Straits, Eagles, SRV, Deep Purple etc

Quote Originally Posted by tony340
    Hi, this is my first post and i hope you guys can help me out here.
    I listen to only 2 channel audio, and i'm trying to get a pair of speakers.
    My amp is a NAD 3020i and Cd player is a NAD C521, so i'm trying to get the best for this combination.
    I've auditioned the Mission m35i, and they sound very good, but there are also a pair of Mission 753Freedom which is also there with afriend of mine which i've to consider.

Can anybody advice me? I listen to mainly Dire Straits, Eagles, SRV, Deep Purple etc
    Speakers highly regarded here at AR, Are, Axiom, PSB, B+W, Polk Audio, SVS,
    and Boston Acoustics, just to name a few. Click reviews on top of the page, then
    speakers, and start doing your homework. You did'nt mention budget, but AR's
    reviews cover every price point. Good Luck, let us know what you come up with.
    Later.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Go to polks website and answer the questions and see what speaker they suggest.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Thanks, my budget is around the USD 650-750 price range.
    The Mission M35i costs around 750USD in Singapore. thats where i live.
    The Mission 753F costs 650USD SECOND HAND.
    As i said earlier i need a speaker for music, not home theatre and the music i listen to most is mentioned in my last post.
    Thanks again

Paradigm Studio series, hopefully they have a dealer near you.

Forum Regular
    Hi, thank you for your advice so far. Which model of the Paradigm studio series will be within my budget?

Forum Regular
    What speakers should you buy? The ones YOU like, of course! Singapore has lots of stereo stores...doesn't it? There is no substitute for listening...

Hi, thank you for your advice so far. Which model of the Paradigm studio series will be within my budget?
    Try searching for reviews on this site. http://audioreview.com/mfr/paradigm/...1_1594CRX.ASPX

With your $700 budget(assuming it's in US dollar, not Singapore $), you have alot of options in US. Not sure about Singapore. But, I do see alot of hi-end speakers for sale on Audiogon.com. Not sure exactly what that means.
    Studio 20s will be better option for you than 40s. Lower extension on 40s compared to 20s are insignificant. Also, Paradigms are fairly easy to drive so with your 20w integrated, it shouldn't be too diffcult to drive, unless you have a large room.
    Here is a contact info for Paradigm dealer in Singapore.
    dthk33@singnet.com.sg
    65 6259 6120
    Derek Tan from Pan Pacific

Forum Regular
    Take a couple of CDs to the store and LISTEN! Don't buy a brand, buy the sound you like! For me it was B&W but you might think those sound less good than others. Sound is just subjective, your ears arent mine.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Try searching for reviews on this site. http://audioreview.com/mfr/paradigm/...1_1594CRX.ASPX

With your $700 budget(assuming it's in US dollar, not Singapore $), you have alot of options in US. Not sure about Singapore. But, I do see alot of hi-end speakers for sale on Audiogon.com. Not sure exactly what that means.
    Studio 20s will be better option for you than 40s. Lower extension on 40s compared to 20s are insignificant. Also, Paradigms are fairly easy to drive so with your 20w integrated, it shouldn't be too diffcult to drive, unless you have a large room.
    Here is a contact info for Paradigm dealer in Singapore.
    dthk33@singnet.com.sg
    65 6259 6120
    Derek Tan from Pan Pacific
    ...Sound advice, as it were...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys, this really is putting me on the right track.
    The studio 20 is a standmount right? So then i will also have to buy the right stand,which will cost a fair deal. So isnt it better to get a pair of floorstanders instead? I mean wont the Studio 20's+stands come to the price of a pair of floorstanders?

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I'm using Axiom M3Tis on a NAD C320 BEE with a C542 source (and turntable) and am very happy with the combination. I've had the speakers for quite a while now (even before everyone went overly gaga for Axiom and got everyone else fed up) and I'm still enjoying them. Eventually I'll upgrade but not for a while yet.

I have them on Wood Technology TMT 30" metal speaker stands which aren't terribly pricy. I suppose you can certainly spend a lot more on stands but I got these for a good price (something like $70 at Parts Express I think). They're sturdy and hefty enough for my needs; although with a grad student budget and mentality I'm not apt to go overkill on any of the components at this point in time.

Forum Regular
    So guys, none of you have anything to say about the Missions that i asked advice on?
    The M35i's are going for USD750, and they are floorstanders, so are the 753F but i really cant make up my mind by just auditioning them, i need advice from someone who has them in their home and who have used them to their fullest.
    And the other fact is, if i were to buy the Paradigm studio20, i'll also have to buy some decent stands, which will then exceed the price of many floorstanders out there.

Forum Regular
    Tony ,
    The nad amps like the 3020 are great but they have an artificially warm sound with plenty of midrange emphasis.This means that they probably best suit open, neutral sounding speakers.[cold sounding even]
    Also they are not very powerful so benefit from quite efficient speakers.
    Paper coned speakers might work better than heavily damped cones like plastic or even doped paper.
    How about Robertson Audio speakers?.A local company that makes excellent products.
    Also if you can find some ESS speakers [old or new] with the Heil ribbons, these are a superb match with the nad 3020 series amps-they have a understated midrange that compliments the NADs perfectly.

Forum Regular
    Hey thanks for your very informative input, i'll check these speakers out..
    By the way if anybody can give me more options that will be much appreciated

golden ear
    ive heard your components sound so good with wharfedale diamond 9.1. you could save a lot with this one...but i urge you to audition it with paradigm studio 20 v3. nad sounds quite flat so you might need a bit brigher speaker to lighten up your music.

Forum Regular
    Thanks, can anybody also advice me on the Paradigm Monitor 7 Floorstander? It is the same price as the Studio 20, dont you think that the Monitor 7 is worth more than the Studio 20? What i mean is you are getting a floorstander instead of a Bookshelf for the same price.
    And also i would have to spend on stands which will cost a fair packet, and i've heard that standmount speakers are never the same as floorstanders, and dont have the bass depth.

am i the only one who owns a pair of these? (mission m35i)

well tony, these are great speakers! i listen to a lot of the stuff you listen to and these have a great sound, deep bass, very soft treble (thanks to the soft dome silk tweeter)

if you have any questions about them ask away!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    couple of years ago Mission was on a roll winning all kinds of awards from the British hi-fi press with each new model that came out. I haven't heard much from them lately, but I haven't picked up a British hi-fi mag lately either. what's the story on their current lineup?

Forum Regular
    Hey thanks mate for your input on the M35i, what amp do you use? Do you think my NAD 3020i will go well with them? The price in Singapore is USD780 for the M35i, but there are a lot of options, for example the KEF IQ5, PARADIGM Monitor 7etc..
    And there are some JAMO Floorstanders as well for the price. Any input anyone?

Forum Regular
    Does anyone know who the KEF dealer in Singapore is? I checked the Kef site and sent a mail to the address they have given in Sin but i havent got a reply at all.
    Can anybody help?

no idea on the kef dealer, but: i'm using a yamaha HTR-5980 i think, it is soon to be replaced by a genuine amp and this moved to the family room to be used for the 7.1 it was intended to do, lol

i've heard the bookshelf model and the 2-way floor stander model, they both have a soft smooth sound, but can rock out too, perfect for your music.

listen to them again, but also listen to the paradigm, they have a nice sound too, what ever one you like better, get it!

Forum Regular
    Hi, can anybody also advice me on the highly acclaimed KEF IQ5 Floorstander? Its won the best speaker award and everyone is mad about it! Does anyone also know about the Paradigm Monitor 7?

Thanks guys, this really is putting me on the right track.
    The studio 20 is a standmount right? So then i will also have to buy the right stand,which will cost a fair deal. So isnt it better to get a pair of floorstanders instead? I mean wont the Studio 20's+stands come to the price of a pair of floorstanders?
    Yes you'll need stands, but generally I find that stand mounted speakers sound much better than floorstanders.

Forum Regular
    Thank you for your expert advice, but since the Paradigm Monitor 7 and the KEF IQ5 are cheaper, will it be a good choice to go for one of them?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information