Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    I had a similar accident with my Dynavector 10x5 early this year, not a pleasant experience.. The 20XL will likely be my next cart, what rig do you presently own?
    The original event happened over ten years ago, but the experience is still vivid in my mind! I have a VPI Scout on a HW-2 Isolation Base with a Souther TQ-1 arm. I chose the mid output VPI flavor of the DV20 to mate with an Audio Research SP-9 MKIII. There are a couple of pics in my gallery.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Let me state that I use both turntable and CD, I am not a hard line on which is better because truth be if I had to give one up I couldn't choose. I like both. For convenience the CD player definitely wins. For Classical the CD wins. Those who have a problem with vinyl noise have a point, in Classical, silence is supposed to be silence.

Frenchmon, I don't know about SACD but it has been my experience that older albums, especially, pre 70's, tend to sound better on vinyl. I don't know what happens in the transfer, maybe it has something to do with the older recording equipment. I know this young guy who likes Dean Martin, I thought I'd be nice and offer to play one the guys CD's on my system. It was very bad and I was sorry I asked. Picked up some Dean on vinyl at a thrift store and not bad at all. There have been many other older CD vs. vinyl titles I've been able to hear and I'm voting vinyl on this one. I don't see how SACD transfer process could be better in this respect than what they do with CD. Mono recordings are so bad on CD I don't see why they bother with the transfer.

I've also read a lot of bad press about these upsampling CD players, reviewers tend to like the 44.1k to remain that way opposed to upsampling it. I'm sure if a recording was 24/96 to begin with it should transfer to a SACD better. With that being said, I bet as in video, there's upsampling and then there's upsampling.
    Mr Peabody...the original recording of the Sonny Clark album was recorded in mono in 1958. But the copy I have is not even a SACD, its a DAD remastered from the original mono recordings upsampled in 24/96 stereo. It sounds so much better than the original mono recording on vinyl

frenchmon

Suspended
    It would seem if the original was mono the recording must have gone through some kind of processing to get it stereo. I also wonder if they took liberty with applying some equalization to make it seem to sound better. I'd like to hear those. Many times a remastered recording can sound some how artificial. I can't explain what I mean by that. It's like the music takes on the feel of a movie sound track rather than music if that makes sense.

I've got a Doris Day vinyl I kept because it sounds very good for a mono recording, and actually I like her voice. I also have a CD of her that came in a movie collection. I will have to listen to those tomorrow and see which way they go. Sometimes these comparisons may not be real accurate because the recordings could have come from different masters. It's interesting any way. In the past though I preferred the vinyl on the older recordings.

I'll have to be carefull talking about Dean Martin & Doris Day, I'll blow my rep here To put things in perspective I will be going to see Disturbed Tuesday.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    Let me get this straight. You are arguing that being a clutz is a good reason not getting into vinyl? HMMMM.. Off all the arguements thats the worst I've ever heard.

Vinyl will live on for eternity. When done properly, it sounds good, smells good and just plain looks good.
    Smells Good? That's the worst argument I've heard for supporting Vinyl!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I kinda like it t be honest

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I kinda like it t be honest
    Didn't you just get an SVI Award for Audio Excellence? I think that says all that needs to be said about your opinion....

Didn't you just get an SVI Award for Audio Excellence? I think that says all that needs to be said about your opinion....
    And what did I say about you being a little ? lol

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    And what did I say about you being a little ? lol
    Going into a homicidal rage because there are too many audio choices, doesn't mean that I'm crazy...

Who on this site hasn't gone on at least one murderous rampage over audio?

3db
    Forum Regular
    *LMAO*

Oh yeah man.. the smell..*L* Just adds to the expeirence that is vinyl

3db
    Forum Regular
    Seriously though..like I've said before, listening to vinyl is an experience because it involves turntable tweeking, cleaning albums before each play, readable covers..etc.

I'm also of the mindset that recordings done to CD or vinyl are superior over the other. I'vve owned individual albums in both formats and it very much depends on the recording engineer. Meatloaf's "Bat Out Of Hell" sucks big time on vinyl but Pink Flloy'd "The Wall" to me sounds better on vinyl. It really is recording specific. The other thing that is ruining it for CDs is this insipid loudness war which is running rampid thru out the industry. This loudness war has rendered too many a recordings with less dynamic range than vinyl. That's disgusting in my eyes

Suspended
    Ajani, isn't into aroma therapy?

You smell that? Do you smell that? SACD, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of SACD in the morning. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end.

- elapsed
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving
    Wiremold L10320 power strip

System Picture #1 | System Picture #2 | System Design

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Ajani, isn't into aroma therapy?

Aroma therapy is fine... but I can't say it influences my HiFi decisions.... But if a product was truly stink smelling, then that might influence things...

HI ALL.

for a moment i thought you all would be talking a little moor about other brands like (poineer,infinity,polk,energy,acurus,sony, just to name a few)
    on page one few guys did make mention.of these lower end brands- and just as i started to anticipate....BAAM ? ps.. i still love to read y'all posts.
    this one is for (ajani),great job on your headphone setup, also your review on them. i myself will be tweaking my ATH-AD700 as soon as i make a decision on equiptment's and price ?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by winston
    this one is for (ajani),great job on your headphone setup, also your review on them. i myself will be tweaking my ATH-AD700 as soon as i make a decision on equiptment's and price ?
    Thanks..... I'm enjoying the setup more and more each day, as the AKGs break in... They're supposed to need around 300 hours... and I've probably gone 70 hours so far..... I can't wait to hear what they sound like at 300...

What are you using as source and amp for the AD700 now? Are you a member of Headfi? That's probably the best site for getting ideas about headphone setups...

Thanks..... I'm enjoying the setup more and more each day, as the AKGs break in... They're supposed to need around 300 hours... and I've probably gone 70 hours so far..... I can't wait to hear what they sound like at 300...

What are you using as source and amp for the AD700 now? Are you a member of Headfi? That's probably the best site for getting ideas about headphone setups...
    hey man your welcome.
    at this time i an not a headfi member, and my source is my ipod and my old (yamaha cdp.) which i used to break in AD700 i leave it in the repeat mode for 7 days and they did came out clean for the price "oooh man" that said i am thinking about a budget upgrade <> 2-3 times the price of the AD700? (my HT/audio setup) is not convenient when i am listening to my cans, i will check out headfi..."hope i don't sound off the chart" but i am thinking of something that would work with my cans from a source?. and also my system when i need to.
    thanks for directions. i'll be back

Forum Regular
    Its as good a reason as any. (I like the smell of vinyl in the morning.)
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

True.. CD's don't even smell of anything..

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I tend to agree with this and a few other things included in RGA's post...though I suspect I come to it from a completely different angle. I am, after all, not much of an audiophile.

First, my experience leads me to lean more toward system matching and total-system thinking including the room. Rarely do I focus on one piece of equipment in a vacuum, or to say more accurately, rarely do I judge a piece of equipment from an experience at a dealership. The real meat and potatoes isn't revealed until I get it home to see how it measures in a controlled environment.

Also it needs to be said that for this hobbyist stark sterility is not the order of the day. I'll take my tunes on the warm side, thank you very much. Now that doesn't mean I'm lobbying for ridiculous bass-humps or unnecessarily over-emphasized mids but I really don't care to live in an anechoic chamber or hear my huge collection of poorly recorded music sound as poorly recorded as it really is.

At the end of the day I just like music.

Of course that doesn't mean that there isn't some unconscionably overpriced equipment out there. I found the Verity Parsifal to be the least exciting speaker I'd ever heard regardless of price. And the Nautilus isn't much of a deal when the big Dane can be had for six K less...

...but to each his own which is, after all, part of the hobby.
    I believe in the "system approach" where a company controls the entire audio chain from cart to speakers. Mixing and matching can create a great system but logically it will more than likely end up with mismatched hodgepodge of stuff that does not fit together well. If the speaker designer makes the matching amp to "sympathize" or play to the strengths of the specific speaker and the transformer in the CD player is mated to the preamp section etc then it's likely to be better. At least my experience bears this out and why, as a reviewer, I far prefer to review "systems" whenever possible than sticking in an amplifier "variable" into my system - it may stink in my system but be great in yours. I personally find the reviews of this sort more of an advertising campaign.

As for the room - it is important but it is the job of the stereo to operate in a WIDE range of rooms. Better systems in my opinion should sound better in any room provided you follow the speaker guidelines. In my case the speaker needs a corner and no bigger than 25X25 - And some adjustments to the toe in and exact distance from the corner but provided that is followed I am comfortable that pretty much the same sound will result in rooms whether they are hardwood or carpeted have 8 foot or 15 foot ceilings. Of course not exactly the same but same enough to tell you enough.

Last note on SACD - there is always the chance that a recording will simply be done a lot better on SACD than it was recorded on CD or LP - in which case the SACD player would be worth buying - the recording is a big critical aspect here. Unfortunately the 50s and 60s music on LP from the likes of Ray Charles, Ella etc sound IMO far better on LP than SACD or CD. In fact the Ray Charles stuff supposedly won best recorded multi channel SACD or some such thing and the $1.00 LP in the used bin without even a washing in the VPI sounded better to me. The Eagles - same deal, Wes Montgomery same deal. CD format I find preferable as well when used with a top flight DAC.

Speaking of Montgomery and guitar - he's not too shabby either.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I believe in the "system approach" where a company controls the entire audio chain from cart to speakers. Mixing and matching can create a great system but logically it will more than likely end up with mismatched hodgepodge of stuff that does not fit together well. If the speaker designer makes the matching amp to "sympathize" or play to the strengths of the specific speaker and the transformer in the CD player is mated to the preamp section etc then it's likely to be better. At least my experience bears this out and why, as a reviewer, I far prefer to review "systems" whenever possible than sticking in an amplifier "variable" into my system - it may stink in my system but be great in yours. I personally find the reviews of this sort more of an advertising campaign.
    I think the system approach is the best way to buy a HiFi setup... Rather than playing mix & match and hoping for the best, I generally suggest listening to an entire system at dealers and then trying to recreate that system in your own home...

I also like the concept of manufacturers producing the full line of equipment... another option is to find out what speakers/equipment, manufacturers test their products with...

All that said, I lucked out on my current setup as I had to buy based on reviews and mix & match, rather than auditioning a whole system...

It's all about the music. Doc Sage's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Ajani]

I also like the concept of manufacturers producing the full line of equipment... another option is to find out what speakers/equipment, manufacturers test their products with...

[QUOTE]

To my recollection, very few manufacturing companies have ever been good at building a complete high end system (Linn comes to mind). The hardware companies that are good at amps, tuners, turntables and CD players are not very good at speakers building and visa versa. It is great that our local retailers of high end system are mush better at matching these components.

But it remove all the fun of finding just the right amp for my present speaker system? And very few us are capable to lay down the cash for a complete system in one purchase?

Doc Sage

Suspended
    I agree with matching components, in my experience you usually get better synergy that way. I also, agree, I can't think of one good equipment manufacturer that does both good speakers and other components in the chain. I haven't heard Linn speakers enough to judge them but they must be successful, they have been putting them out for quite a while, them and Audio Note may be the exception. I haven't heard AN but again they stick with putting them out. I have heard Krell speakers and personally find them over priced and a Dynaudio for half the price can run circles around one. Although, if not for the price Ajani may like the Krell speakers, they have a very powerful high frequency response.

Limiting yourself to matching components seems unduly restrictive, assuming you don't have a big stack of money sitting around...maybe even if you do. I think of it like furnishing a house. I can't afford to hire a designer to do the entire house in one shot. I buy things that fit my tastes and my current furnishings. It's an evolutionary thing.

Suspended
    Just because your goal is to have components of one brand don't mean you have to buy them all at once, matching gear can be a goal and just go about it one piece at a time.

Also, to be sure you are doing the right thing, in home auditions when possible can really help.

Whether they admit it or not most high end manufacturers have a certain sound of their own. Whether be created on purpose or just there due to topology. When components play together with the same sonic signature the result in most instance is very good.

Actually matching components brings amazing synergy to a system. I've made the mistake in the past of matching the wrong amp with the wrong cd player, it absolutely killed the music

I found that with system synergy I stop worrying about the system, and can just enjoy the music! Plus the upgrade path for me was pretty straight forward in moving from an integrated to separates, so I was able to build my system one piece at a time as I saved money

That's one thing I like about both Naim and Linn, is that you can stop worrying about components and just enjoy the system or upgrade as you wish.

cheers,
    elapsed
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable