Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ajani

Trolling and other contentious issues

So I was in another thread 'for you pixelthis' For you pixelthis

when some questions occurred to me:

1) Exactly what constitutes as trolling / makes a poster a troll?

Does being irritating and obstinate make someone a troll?

- In this case are members like SpankingVanillaIce and Melvin Walker considered to be trolls?

Is it being rude to other posters?

- Many regulars on this site have a tendency to be rude, when people disagree with them.

Is it just using more than one identity or do you have to use them at the same time/in the same thread?

- I've use more than one identity over the course of around 8 years on and off this site (though never at the same time)....

2) Can you actually have a private thread on a public forum?

I chose to step out of the original thread since Rich was clearly intent on having an internet fist fight with Pixelthis... but I wonder, is it really feasible to expect to have a public fight in a public thread and not expect contrary and unwelcomed responses?

- Would it not be more appropriate to send the other poster a Private Message?

Aging Smartass
    I think one, though certainly not the, definition of troll could be: a person who appears on the site for the sole purpose of creating conflict or discord. And, you're absolutely right insofar as sending a PM to someone you disagree with, rather than wasting time in a forum blasting that person. I did that once, and it worked.

Suspended
    I'll lock the thread on Monday when I get to the computer where I started the thread then take my issues with him private. Sound good?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    In this case are members like SpankingVanillaIce and Melvin Walker considered to be trolls?
    Neither in my opinion. A troll is someone who intentionally drops a topical bomb, leaves, and expects controversy in the wake. While controversy can certainly be found in posts by either of them, I believe that was not their intention. Unfortunately, SVI is an easy target and doesn't understand why he triggers the kind of responses he gets. MW seems to be Rip Van Winkle incarnate having woken from a forty year sleep and likewise doesn't understand the responses he gets - albeit from a different perspective.

For some, I think they bring it upon themselves because of the attitude they convey in their words.

Can you actually have a private thread on a public forum?
    That's what private messages are for.

Would it not be more appropriate to send the other poster a Private Message?
    Many threads start out quite tame until someone drops a provocative comment. It goes downhill from there. I''ve had to intervene before, but in the grand scheme of things, some name calling is just going to happen.

rw

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'll lock the thread on Monday when I get to the computer where I started the thread then take my issues with him private. Sound good?
    That's good... From what I've read you seem like a cool person, so just try not to let irritating posters bring out the worst in you....

anyway, let's get back on the troll definition....

E-stat gave a very good definition. A troll is someone looking to start a fight and then disappears. For example, if you come to an audio board and start screaming to the rafters that Bose is the greatest thing since sliced bread, red flags start flying over your avatar. This is not to say all Bose fanboys are trolls, that is merely an example of a volatile topic.

SVI is not a troll. Misguided perhaps, naive for sure, but not a troll. I'm of the belief that he genuinely enjoys audio (and dinosaurs) and simply doesn't know better. He's actually pretty entertaining if you just take him for what he is.

Melvin might be a troll, the jury is still out. He certainly enjoys making inflamatory remarks and spouts misinformation like Ol' Faithful, but he also hangs around long enough for responses. There is a dialogue, per se. I simply ignore him.

If you hang around long enough, I think you'll find most of the members at AR are good folk just trying to help. A little color and heated bantering is inevitable and somewhat necessary. It keeps the place lively!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Neither in my opinion. A troll is someone who intentionally drops a topical bomb, leaves, and expects controversy in the wake. While controversy can certainly be found in posts by either of them, I believe that was not their intention. Unfortunately, SVI is an easy target and doesn't understand why he triggers the kind of responses he gets. MW seems to be Rip Van Winkle incarnate having woken from a forty year sleep and likewise doesn't understand the responses he gets - albeit from a different perspective. rw
    To me, this explanation describes JOEBIALEK to a T (Not you Sir T), but he still manages to drop by and stir up controversy. ???

Cool

So I was in another thread 'for you pixelthis' For you pixelthis

when some questions occurred to me:

- In this case are members like SpankingVanillaIce and Melvin Walker considered to be trolls?

- Many regulars on this site have a tendency to be rude, when people disagree with them.

Is it just using more than one identity or do you have to use them at the same time/in the same thread?

- I've use more than one identity over the course of around 8 years on and off this site (though never at the same time)....

2) Can you actually have a private thread on a public forum?

I chose to step out of the original thread since Rich was clearly intent on having an internet fist fight with Pixelthis... but I wonder, is it really feasible to expect to have a public fight in a public thread and not expect contrary and unwelcomed responses?

A "troll" is anybody who disagress with ME.
    Really tho, I like rich, even tho he is absolutely clueless about HT or audio.
    HE GOT A REMOTE ONCE, WHICH IS GREAT, WITHOUT A UNIVERSAL remote you system is not a true "system", not integrated.
    But I could tell from his posts that he wasnt reading the manuel, couldnt have been.
    People who buy complex electronics and don't read the manuel, thinking they will plug it in like a 4 slot toaster and it will work are a pet peeve of mine.
    Rich is quite knowlegeable about computers, but his comprehension about this HT stuff is
    stuck someplace between being able to plug something in and wiring speakers.
    His latest gaff was that he didnt understand what toslink was , he thought it was a brand not a type of cable.
    HE DOESNT READ UP, study or anything, he hits a snag and comes over here and starts asking questions, took him forever to buy a receiver, because one of his good points is that he knows when hes in deep, and he just knew he would screw this up.
    Am I A "GURU"? Hardly, neither is anyone else here, but the great strenght of a site like this isnt learning arcane knowledge, its sharing the common sense things you pick up over the years.
    I do get pissed when someone disagrees with something I say that I KNOW is true,
    they always want a "link", well link to what?
    When I HAVE READ THE SAME THING over and over for the last twenty years and just KNOW it, where do I GET A "LINK"?
    I have to spend precious time looking one up, a great hassle, really.
    Anyway I DO LIKE TO stir things up sometimes, I have a rather thick skin and too little tolerance for those with thin ones, if I HURT SOMEONES "FEELINGS" then too bad, dont post nonsense.
    Does that make me a troll? Hardly, but newbies come here all of the time, if you post something you had better be able to defend it, you might be misleading someone.
    I predicted Bluray would "win" the "format war" which pissed a lot off because of my "arrogance".
    Well, it did, and THAT pissed a lot of people off who were waiting to see me fall on my face,
    but I didnt make that prediction lightly.
    then I predicted the death of DLP in paticular and RPTV as a form factor in general, easy since everyBODY wants a flat screen, this pissed rich, whos company makes DLP AND
    is FACING a shrinking market for them, I meant no offence, just stating what I saw was happening. Does that make me a "troll"?
    Hardly, but I sure aint on Rich's christmas list, either.
    And you were quite mistaken that Rich was spoiling for a fight, he was just irritated.
    BUT AS LONG AS HE REFUSES TO USE THAT BRAIN OF HIS THAT I KNOW THAT HE HAS , he will continue to get "irritated" with me, because I know hes capable of
    taking that new receiver of his and doing something really nice.
    And I HOPE I can be of some assistance.
    As long as he READS the frigging MANUEL

the main problem with coming to a site like this is that they think that since you're "new" you don't know anything, that you're born the day you come here.
    Well, I HAVE BEEN doing this forever, fourty years, really , and have forgotten more than some on this site ever have known.
    does that make me a "troll"? HARDLY
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Really tho, I like rich, even tho he is absolutely clueless about HT or audio.
    HE GOT A REMOTE ONCE, WHICH IS GREAT, WITHOUT A UNIVERSAL remote you system is not a true "system", not integrated.
    But I could tell from his posts that he wasnt reading the manuel, couldnt have been.
    People who buy complex electronics and don't read the manuel, thinking they will plug it in like a 4 slot toaster and it will work are a pet peeve of mine.
    Rich is quite knowlegeable about computers, but his comprehension about this HT stuff is
    stuck someplace between being able to plug something in and wiring speakers.
    His latest gaff was that he didnt understand what toslink was , he thought it was a brand not a type of cable.
    I had a Logitech Harmony 880 (or some model number) back when I had my audio setup... Had it programmed for 1 touch operation to play a CD versus watch cable vs use the computer... A universal is a must...

I must admit that I don't always read the manual (not to be a grade A piece of cow poop - but you should have two a's in that word and not an e - don't worry we all make spelling errors)... I guess I've read so many manuals, that many times I don't need to read a new one....

HE DOESNT READ UP, study or anything, he hits a snag and comes over here and starts asking questions, took him forever to buy a receiver, because one of his good points is that he knows when hes in deep, and he just knew he would screw this up.
    Am I A "GURU"? Hardly, neither is anyone else here, but the great strenght of a site like this isnt learning arcane knowledge, its sharing the common sense things you pick up over the years.
    To be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong if someone wants to just ask questions rather than doing research (that's definitely not my approach, but I don't think he's wrong to do it)...

I do get pissed when someone disagrees with something I say that I KNOW is true,
    they always want a "link", well link to what?
    When I HAVE READ THE SAME THING over and over for the last twenty years and just KNOW it, where do I GET A "LINK"?
    I have to spend precious time looking one up, a great hassle, really.
    Anyway I DO LIKE TO stir things up sometimes, I have a rather thick skin and too little tolerance for those with thin ones, if I HURT SOMEONES "FEELINGS" then too bad, dont post nonsense.
    Does that make me a troll? Hardly, but newbies come here all of the time, if you post something you had better be able to defend it, you might be misleading someone.
    I predicted Bluray would "win" the "format war" which pissed a lot off because of my "arrogance".
    Well, it did, and THAT pissed a lot of people off who were waiting to see me fall on my face,
    but I didnt make that prediction lightly.
    then I predicted the death of DLP in paticular and RPTV as a form factor in general, easy since everyBODY wants a flat screen, this pissed rich, whos company makes DLP AND
    is FACING a shrinking market for them, I meant no offence, just stating what I saw was happening. Does that make me a "troll"?
    Hardly, but I sure aint on Rich's christmas list, either.
    And you were quite mistaken that Rich was spoiling for a fight, he was just irritated.
    BUT AS LONG AS HE REFUSES TO USE THAT BRAIN OF HIS THAT I KNOW THAT HE HAS , he will continue to get "irritated" with me, because I know hes capable of
    taking that new receiver of his and doing something really nice.
    And I HOPE I can be of some assistance.
    As long as he READS the frigging MANUEL
    As much as I like DLP (a friend owned one but not me)... I too expect it to die in the long run.... since what people really want is flat panel TVs... LCD Projection and DLP are fantastic ways of getting a big screen tv with a smaller cabinet for a relatively cheap price... but as flat panels get cheaper and cheaper... the need for these products will die...

That being said, I wouldn't diss T.I. for creating DLP, it's a good product... just won't be around in the long run... so they need to get cracking on their next big product....

the main problem with coming to a site like this is that they think that since you're "new" you don't know anything, that you're born the day you come here.
    Well, I HAVE BEEN doing this forever, fourty years, really , and have forgotten more than some on this site ever have known.
    does that make me a "troll"? HARDLY
    Agreed... sometimes people get worked up by number of posts and years on this site rather than actual experience in audio....

Oh and for the record, I doubt you're a troll... just really opinionated and sometimes irritating... but I guess we're all like that to some degree....

some of the things you say are undoubtly wrong.

Don't think you don't make mistakes, or don't know things. you do.

and why is it wrong for rich to take his time choosing a new receiver? I mean, it took me 6 weeks to choose a new set of interconnects. Is that wrong? no, does that mean I'm clueless about audio? No, definately not. I just like to take my time, and do things right.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

JSE

Somebody who's sole purpose is to provoke in negative way.

I've use more than one identity over the course of around 8 years on and off this site (though never at the same time)
    Just out of curiosity, which past identities did you post under? The reason I bring this up is that you have mentioned this now a couple of times in threads. It would be interesting to know your past identity so we will know who we are communicating with, other than the new name of Ajani. You should not have any issues with telling us since you have mentioned it.

Rich posted the thread in the Steel Cage forum. That's what the Steel Cage is for. No holds barred, say what you want to who you want for any reason. I can call someone a MF and tell them to go to hell if I want in the Steel Cage. That's what it's there for and Rich had every right to post there against Pix. Many of us who have been around a while completely understand this. I don't think it looks bad on Rich at all. Rich has a beef with Pix, he took it to the Cage. Plus, don't most people here have a beef with Pix?

JSE
    Last edited by JSE; 01-29-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Suspended
    A case of Shinner's heading down to you... below the flood plane... as I speak JSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Just out of curiosity, which past identities did you post under? The reason I bring this up is that you have mentioned this now a couple of times in threads. It would be interesting to know your past identity so we will know who we are communicating with, other than the new name of Ajani. You should have any issues with telling us since you have mentioned it.
    Ya know, I thought the same thing. He's mentioned that fact actually about 5 times, and it kind of made me suspicious. After I sent back a response to a PM I got from him, I later thought how odd it was that he seems to feel the need to make everybody aware of his past presence. I regret not asking him in my PM.

Just an observation.

BTW Ajani, for whatever reason I wasn't able to delete my post nor was I able to lock the thread but JohnMichael was kind enough to remove any reference I made to race. Sound good?

JSE

That's the funniest thing I have read in a while on this site!

Maybe your not cut out for web forums. Unless your God himself, you got to be able to prove what you say. Even if you "KNOW" it's true. LOL.

Maybe your not cut out for web forums. Unless your God himself, you got to be able to prove what you say. Even if you "KNOW" it's true. LOL.
    The thing is, that a lot of what he "knows" to be true, others "know" not to be true.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

JSE
    A case of Shinner's heading down to you... below the flood plane... as I speak JSE.
    You are a good man Sir!

Bose Rules!!!!

I suggest everyone here sell off their gear and UPGRADE to Bose. Anything else is pointless!

Ajani
    Somebody who's sole purpose is to provoke in negative way.
    Thanx....

Just out of curiosity, which past identities did you post under? The reason I bring this up is that you have mentioned this now a couple of times in threads. It would be interesting to know your past identity so we will know who we are communicating with, other than the new name of Ajani. You should not have any issues with telling us since you have mentioned it.
    Nope, I don't have any issues... so here goes:

1) Balthazar - way back in 01...
    2) Ajani (the username I really like) used in 02 (If I remember correctly)
    3) Carl - used it in 06 till early 07
    4) Ajani - I had to use Carl last time cuz I couldn't get Ajani to work but now it seems enough time has passed that the account was deleted and I was able to recreate it...

Now if you anyone actually remembers any of those identities, I'll be amazed lol

Rich posted the thread in the Steel Cage forum. That's what the Steel Cage is for. No holds barred, say what you want to who you want for any reason. I can call someone a MF and tell them to go to hell if I want in the Steel Cage. That's what it's there for and Rich had every right to post there against Pix. Many of us who have been around a while completely understand this. I don't think it looks bad on Rich at all. Rich has a beef with Pix, he took it to the Cage. Plus, don't most people here have a beef with Pix?

JSE
    Thanx for explaining the steel cage... but I told Rich in my PM why I think it made him look bad... so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one....

Ajani

Ya know, I thought the same thing. He's mentioned that fact actually about 5 times, and it kind of made me suspicious. After I sent back a response to a PM I got from him, I later thought how odd it was that he seems to feel the need to make everybody aware of his past presence. I regret not asking him in my PM.

Just an observation.
    Suspicious of what? I never claimed I was anyone important, just that I've been on the site before... I guess I mentioned it too many times cuz I don't feel like being regarded as newbie... but if it bugs you guys.. I'll try not to mention it...

BTW Ajani, for whatever reason I wasn't able to delete my post nor was I able to lock the thread but JohnMichael was kind enough to remove any reference I made to race. Sound good?
    It's cool...

JSE

4) Ajani - I had to use Carl last time cuz I couldn't get Ajani to work but now it seems enough time has passed that the account was deleted and I was able to recreate it...

Now if you anyone actually remembers any of those identities, I'll be amazed lol
    Yeah, don't remember any of those names. Did you post much?

Ajani
    Yeah, don't remember any of those names. Did you post much?
    I think I might have had around 500 posts combined since 01... so I guess I didn't post that much....

Anyway, I'm gonna stick to this username from now on to keep things simple.... and who knows, maybe I'll actually hit 1000 posts.... eventually... lol

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The thing is, that a lot of what he "knows" to be true, others "know" not to be true.
    Exactly. I calling it knowing alot about nothing.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Thanx....

Thanx for explaining the steel cage... but I told Rich in my PM why I think it made him look bad... so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one....
    I remember seeing Balthazar, but none of the others.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    You are a good man Sir!
    Oh SH!T!!! What the H e double hockey stick am I going to do now?

GM, help a brother out!!!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Bose Rules!!!!

I suggest everyone here sell off their gear and UPGRADE to Bose. Anything else is pointless!
    Alright all knowing Sir L.J. I'll refuse tomorrows shipment, sell the B&W's and go get the new "Lifestyle V30 Home Theater System" for $3K.

I like it. It's "cute". Comes in black or white. How can I go wrong?

Suspended

Ya think?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information