Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey Stan, I would still recommend changing out your fuses if you haven't done so yet. I still think your problem exists in the speaker power circuitry.

Hello Poppa, I'll do that with the fuses. Concerning your thought that the amps problem is in the power section, that can very well be. But I was looking for a pre-amp first since they are cheaper.

. As far as the caps go, never change caps on a quality vintage unit unless there is visible or audible issues. There is a list of maintenance to do before changing out your caps, so keep that 80 in your pocket for now brudda.

I never heard about that before. That's good to know. I do my own car maintenance and am always very careful when I flush the cooling system and transmission fluid. I've seen so many cars messed up by the 'super flushes'.

So what kind of amp do you think you'll buy Stan? I get the impression you're a power freak, lots and lots of watts?
    I'm thinking about some ADCOM stuff. Like a ADCOM GFA-555 II. But, I'm just putting out feelers now, seeing if I can get a great deal. My first priority is to put in some cabinets and counter top in the back of my music room, so I can fit all this equipment on it.....

On ebay there is a GFA 555 II with a burnt out right channel. I'm bidding on that and see if I can fix it.

I get the impression you're a power freak, lots and lots of watts? I couldn't be more opposite. Well hey keep me posted and I f you want to do something with the HK let me know.

Will do. I plan on keeping the H/K for a while, but when I'm ready to move on, you're the first in line. Further, since it just cost me $35, you'll get great deal as well.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

nightflier
    Hey ManlyStanley, ever thought about adding some Manley Labs gear to your setup? You could then change your avatar to ManlyManleyStanley, LOL

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Hello Poppa, I'll do that with the fuses. Concerning your thought that the amps problem is in the power section, that can very well be. But I was looking for a pre-amp first since they are cheaper.

I never heard about that before. That's good to know. I do my own car maintenance and am always very careful when I flush the cooling system and transmission fluid. I've seen so many cars messed up by the 'super flushes'.

I'm thinking about some ADCOM stuff. Like a ADCOM GFA-555 II. But, I'm just putting out feelers now, seeing if I can get a great deal. My first priority is to put in some cabinets and counter top in the back of my music room, so I can fit all this equipment on it.....

On ebay there is a GFA 555 II with a burnt out right channel. I'm bidding on that and see if I can fix it.

Will do. I plan on keeping the H/K for a while, but when I'm ready to move on, you're the first in line. Further, since it just cost me $35, you'll get great deal as well.
    ....a deal!?! Right on Stan! OK you ready for it? Here it comes Stan, big and in your face....a headbang!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've bought Adcom components with a channel out three times. It was a fuse all three times.

I'm looking for a TT, here's my upgrade plan

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaud...2&category=347

Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven

They estimate $7.00 shipping.

I think I'll need a better cartridge to go with that TT, say one that cost about $20,000.
    And of course I'll want records made of gold.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Wait until McIntosh or Hafler gear is sold at the local thrift stores and pair them up with a set of Maggie's I hope to find being sold for $10 on Craigslist because someone thought they were just a pair of old room dividers.......

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I think I'll need a better cartridge to go with that TT, say one that cost about $20,000.
    And of course I'll want records made of gold.
    ...actually, at the push of a button, 3 midgets come out from inside the TT and put your record on for you, nice feature...

manleystanley:
    I have the SB X-Fi Pro Elite. I use it with my MSB DAC. The internal DAC is pretty good by itself. I recommend it highly. It's in my music server.

My upgrade path:
    My VPI has been sold. I'm looking at either an Avid or an Oracle.
    It will be equipped with an SLT tonearm, exact model not yet decided.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    manleystanley:
    I have the SB X-Fi Pro Elite. I use it with my MSB DAC. The internal DAC is pretty good by itself. I recommend it highly. It's in my music server.

Great advice Joe, Thanks! I'm going to the thrift store to get: keyboard, mouse and monitor. Then I'll get a halfway decent computer. Oh the joys of being cheap...

A question, how do you use it with your MSB? Does the Pro Elite put out digital that you can use? How much does it improve things??

Thanks,
    San
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hyfi,

Have you dealt with RHB before?
    I've sent them 3 emails for mods on my VTL and EAR about 6 months ago, and I haven't received a single reply. Perhaps the old man Bob hasn't figured out how to use the Outlook?

Steve from The Great Northern Sound Company on the other hand had responded within 1/2 a day and I thought he was fairly honest with their service. He simply told me not to waste my money on upgrading the VTL. With all things considered, I'd decided to go with Mitch based on his great reputation. Trust factor plays alot when I'm letting a stranger alter my beloved toy.

I would love to hear your experience with RHB.
    JRA
    Yeah, it does seem that email is not their bag, baby!

They do respond to the phone though. My experience is that I first emailed and then followed up with a phone call. Turns out they are about a mile from my house and basically work out of an addition on their own house.

I explained my situation and Bob told me he would look at it and give me rough diagnosis for free but it would take a few weeks due to his backlog. I dropped off my Counterpoint Amp on a Saturday morning. While there I got a first hand look at the work they do and it is top notch.

After two weeks, I called and just gave Bob a nudge and he told me it was in line for the week. Thursday morning I got a call saying it was fixed and did I want new tubes in it. (he was only supposed to diagnose before fixing but I'm sure he got the impression from me that if it was inexpensive to just go ahead. Anyway, with 2 new tubes, a relay unit and some other small part, I picked it up that day for $200.

All in all I had a great experience and they gave me all kinds of information while I was there asking questions.

I give them Two Snaps Up, but use the phone instead of email and you should get a better feeling.

Forum Regular
    Got the SET/single driver fever. Bought the MiniWatt (2.5 wpc) and heard it drive some Hornshoppe Horns. Unbelievable sound! Now I need to sell all my high end powerful gear, inefficient/expensive speakers and move to single driver true fidelity.

Forum Regular
    Hdmi denon receiver that can do all the blu-ray audio.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Upgrades - a whole slew of them are on the way.

Personal System:

1) A new CD player (Either one box or two box(Transport/DAC) - Going to take a couple of years worth of evaluations. As well as an Interconnect. To be used in the review section. The intent at this time is to go with a CDT Ttwo transport and Dac 4.1 Balanced http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue8/audionote.htm

Review Systems
    1) Power amplifiers - One set of high powered Tube monoblocks (Possibly from Shengya) - one set of high powered SS monoblocks (possibly from Odyssey) - one set of single ended low powered monoblocks (likely Audio Note)

2) Preamp - 2 different Tube pre-amps possibly from ARC and Audio Note (using the Audio Note M1-Phono in the OTO as an interim)

3) Loudspeakers - Home theater surround rig (completely undecided) - and two other speaker systems for cross-referencing purposes (one of which WILL be an electrostatic panel - King Sound, Sound Labs and Quad top the list currently) and the other is yet to be determined but I'm leaning to Tannoy. A subwoofer will be used to augment the home theater and reference system speaker where needed. Genesis is intriguing in the subwoofer class.

Great advice Joe, Thanks! I'm going to the thrift store to get: keyboard, mouse and monitor. Then I'll get a halfway decent computer. Oh the joys of being cheap...

A question, how do you use it with your MSB? Does the Pro Elite put out digital that you can use? How much does it improve things??

Thanks,
    San
    Sorry, I meant to respond sooner. The X-Fi Pro has an SPDIF output on the card and a digital input and output on the external interface box. The MSB has all the options including up and over sampling. I would compare it with units that cost a lot more. Of course with all the options it's no longer in the budget category. Here in Phila. Staples periodically sells mice and keyboards for under $10 each. Sometimes with a $10 rebate.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Upgrade plan?

Currently, no upgrade plan, at least not for the equipment. I spend a lot of time selecting my current system, balancing sound and budget, spending a lot of time listening to different systems in different stores with recordings I know well. I got the Cambridge Audio 640 v2 series (AMP, CD, DAB radio), and a pair of B&W DM684 speakers. (including cables, delivery, and Danish taxes, I paid 15000 DKK = 2000 EUR = 3000 USD). That might be low compared to what people here can spend, but that's what I could spend.

My current upgrade plan has to do with my music collection, not with the equipment. I have an eye on a CD box with classical guitar music, and some CDs from the Deutsche Grammophon originals series.

As for some stuff I would recommend for the upgrade path for those who like baroque and early (pre-1650) music, have a look at Deutsche Harmonia Mundi: 50 Years (1958-2008) which contains 50 CDs (see others' recommendations at Amazon). It's *extremely* good value for money if this is the kind of music you like. I bought it in a store for 65 EUR, and recommend as always: listen before you buy. Nobody else on the net, and certainly not me, will know whether *you* will like it. But anyway, that's my recommendation for the day.

Kind regards,
    Erik
    Last edited by Erik1973; 10-21-2009 at 04:57 PM.

To me that's no more than an engineering statement. And a morbidly overpriced one...

nightflier
    I'm amazed Clearaudio is actually selling these in this economy. Somewhere there's an insurance/oil company CEO who hasn't received the memo that we're in a recession.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    nightflier

This economy doesn't effect people who can afford these items. The economy effects the bottom 97% only. All the people at the top who stole everyone's money may have a bit of jail time - then when they get out have their mega millions waiting for them on their offshore accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    nightflier

This economy doesn't effect people who can afford these items. The economy effects the bottom 97% only. All the people at the top who stole everyone's money may have a bit of jail time - then when they get out have their mega millions waiting for them on their offshore accounts.
    Who, when ....where???? I've not seen anybody or heard anybodys going to jail....thats news to me.

frenchmon

I guess the secret is, don't steal too much or to little. Bernie Madoff stealing a couple hundred billion was a bit much I guess. He's going to prison just as the average two bit criminal does. It would seem the secret is to steal 100 million or so.

A nice DAC for my headphone rig and maybe a stat hp setup will be my toys til the godson gets it all. Of course technology has a say in that. Just ask everyone having to buy new TVs. I will resist blu ray because within 5 years, technology will do it to us again. I stayed with a 1080i rear projector instead of going for the pretty plasmas (though that was hard). Now they are obsolete. LCD is LCD which is fine for kitchens and bedrooms. I'll re-tube the beast and see what will be in this economy and technological point in time.
    d HC b

My upgrade plan is almost done, it's been a bit of a wild and unorganized ride. I never expected to spend this much money all in this year. It should have been a little more deliberate and methodical, but once you get on a roll it's tough to stop.

Started with:
    Denon UDM-50 minisystem - pretty good for what it is I think
    Tannoy Mercury F2 speakers - great entry level speakers
    Mission MS-8 sub
    Energy C-1 speakers (not in use)
    Arcam DV135 (bought as a source upgrade and to listen to SACD and DVD-A)

Marantz DV7001 - first buy this year, was meant to be used in a home theatre, with the Arcam for audio. Found I liked the Marantz more than the Arcam, which was too laid back and lacked a sense of timing

Quad 12L actives - I decided to go active speakers as they were at a great price and I didn't need to buy an amp. I actually liked them a lot, but soon after realized I wanted something a little more lush and musical, and I found I liked playing with amps.

Ultralink PGX-300 power conditioner

YBA YA201 - great price on this, couldn't pass it up, priced brand new at the NAD 355 level

Wharfedale Evo2-10 - great price on this, but the fact is I just don't enjoy the sound

At this point I found that what sounds best is the Marantz/YBA/Tannoy/Mission combination.

Rega Saturn - took advantage of the Rega promotion. Traded in the Denon to get $900 off, also traded in the Quad 12L, the Arcam DV135, and the Energy C-1

Cambridge Audio Azur 550T tuner - just got it a couple weeks ago. Nice sound, nice build. Upgrading the antennas to Godar.

Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer - upgrade on the Mission (the Dynamo is on the way)

This puts us at today, I'm listening to the Rega/YBA/Tannoy/Mission combo right now. Running them all through Atlas cables.

Within the next six weeks:

Will trade in the Wharfedale, the Mission sub, the Marantz DV7001, and the Tannoy F2 for a Cambridge Audio 650BD universal Blu-ray player. It plays DVDs, Blu-ray, CD, SACD, and DVD-A. There's no need to keep the Marantz and then buy a BR player later on. Going to do the trade in and get it right now.

Will buy speakers - either the Monitor Audio RX2, the B&W 685, or the Paradigm Studio 20. May consider ProAc too.

This year has been a little crazy. I bought a lot of gear that in the end I opted not to keep and that costs money. But I guess you learn too, and thankfully I've got a dealer here who accepts trade-ins and pays decent money for them. I never in my wildest dreams figured I'd own a Saturn and YBA (more like Cambridge or NAD, great gear too but one step below) but the deals were too good to pass up. At the end of it all I should have a pretty sweet sounding system that'll last me a good long time (it better!).
    Last edited by YBArcam; 10-26-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information