Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

So what's your upgrade plan??

I was just curious what everyone's upgrade path is. Here' mine, if anyone interested:

---> Get a media server. something like a PC with Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro. I'd love to store podcasts and get Internet radio.

--> My H/K PM655 left channel seems to get be intermittently weak...... My guess is that it's the preamp section, so I'm trying to get a used pre-amp.

--> I'd like to get a big hummer of a power amp (like 250 watts), so that I can ..........

--> ....... upgrade my speakers to B&W CM9's or 804S's..........

The I'll be at musical nirvana.... Well, maybe not, but that's as far out as my very thin wallet will even let me think.....
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Suspended
    Right now, the only things I have on my to-do list would be to take both my VAC pre and Counterpoint amp to RHB Sound Dezign for som upgrades and mods.
    http://www.rhbsounddezign.com/

I'm sure there are some older components that need updating.

I also have a Hafler 9180 amp that throws some hum into the speakers. If it is not a result of my Sony flat screen, which they are known to cause, I would like to get that modded also.

I will need a new DVD player soon and am unsure if I should go Blue Ray or not as I have no intention of buying BR disks. I would like to know if-
    A BR video is better
    and the BR sound is better
    and a regular DVD will appear better
    Will a BR player playing CDs sound better?

I may also send my Stratos back to Klaus sometime and have it redone to todays specs.

nightflier
    Tweaks and fixes:

(1) Getting better bass from my Maggies (anybody know of a mid-bass sub that is less than 8" deep?)
    (2) Making the move to BR
    (3) Upgrading my Musical Surroundings Phonomena preamp to a ?
    (4) A new under-40" LCD TV for a second room
    (5) Room treatments, interconnects, speaker cables, cleaner-looking conduits, trying out some Mappleshade tweaks, and a sprinkling little pixie snot in the corners for good measure.

I'm looking forward to that glorious day when I can finally get my turntable plugged back in....

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Tweaks and fixes:

(1) Getting better bass from my Maggies (anybody know of a mid-bass sub that is less than 8" deep?)
    (2) Making the move to BR
    1) Check out Soundfire or REL. I'd recommend the REL...

2)This is going to sound distinctly un-audiophiliac but check out the PS3. It really is one of the best, most advanced units out there. A lil' too much backround noise for a perfect music server but for movies you, literally, have to spend 2k or more to equal it....mebbe the OPPO...I haven't experienced it yet. Understand that the tech is still relatively new.

Forum Regular
    I'm pretty much done right now. I can't think of anything in my main system I'd like to change. I've toyed with the idea of adding a subwoofer, but ultimately decided against it as there isn't really a good place for it in the room and the bass is currently pretty satisfying when the recording calls for it.

So I've just been working on adding music and more music to the collection.

Not a bad spot to be in.

nightflier
    Sticks, I haven't heard of soundfire before, but I do like Rel subs. Unfortunately, they don't come that small. I really need something to stick out from the wall no more than my plasma, so 8" or less, although the width and height isn't an issue, just the depth.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Sticks, I haven't heard of soundfire before, but I do like Rel subs. Unfortunately, they don't come that small. I really need something to stick out from the wall no more than my plasma, so 8" or less, although the width and height isn't an issue, just the depth.
    Yeah, I figured that given your parameters. It was the smallest thing that I could think of that was competitive with the Sunfire at that size and pricepoint. Hell, I use a Paradigm Servo so size has never been something that I've had to consider....

....just tryin to help.

Forum Regular
    Hyfi,

The Blue Ray that I got upscaled all the regular dvd's picture big time ! The sound is also improved with the unit. It is an LG brand model #BD390 some units are definetly better others so do some research first.....

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph
    Hyfi,

The Blue Ray that I got upscaled all the regular dvd's picture big time ! The sound is also improved with the unit. It is an LG brand model #BD390 some units are definetly better others so do some research first.....
    I am mainly interested in if it makes CDs sound any better than a plain DVD so it could be used as a universal player if decent enough.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Once my kids are grown and I have more cash, a basic listening room with a Music Hall mmf 5.1. The supporting cast of equipment is unimportant, but obviously of high enough quality to compliment the mmf. (Insert drooling here)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So what's your upgrade plan??-mmf51_front_lg.jpg  

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I recently purchased the Krell S-300i which I am enjoying. Now that I have plenty of power I am thinking about larger speakers with more bass. I have on loan a pair of MA RS6's that are surprising speakers for the money. The combination of power and speaker effeciency is causing the place to rock.

I am still deciding on a phono pre-amp. The CA 640P sounds great with the OM 20 but I would like to remount the Benz Gold. Once I have the new phono stage I will be back to all the benefits of moving coils.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

[QUOTE=manlystanley]
    --> My H/K PM655 left channel seems to get be intermittently weak...... My guess is that it's the preamp section, so I'm trying to get a used pre-amp.

QUOTE]

...Stan, describe "intermittently weak". I think your problem is probably much more simple than the entire preamp. If you like, I can walk you through some basic maintenance which may solve your problem. At the very least, it will help with the resale value should you upgrade. I have resurrected a 630 and a 930 twin. PM655 is a fantastic machine, the only upgrade you should be seeking is a full cleaning and maybe replacement of any aging capacitance parts. Let me know, we could do it on this thread or PM me...

[QUOTE=poppachubby]
    Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    ...Stan, describe "intermittently weak". I think your problem is probably much more simple than the entire preamp. If you like, I can walk you through some basic maintenance which may solve your problem.
    Wow, Thanks! I've been noticing for sometime that the sound stage seems to collapse. Once when it did it, I went and put my ears to the speakers and heard that the left speaker had much less volume and was real muddy sounding. Next day I re-powered the setup on and it worked like a champ. Should I just get new electrolytic caps? Would that solve the problem??

Also, the sound stage seems to shift a lot. In other words, sometime I need to crank balance to the left to 9:00 O'clock, other times to the right to 3:000 OClock. Then sometimes it works like a champ and sounds amazing for a week.

When I got it, it was full of dust. So I:

--Blew out the dust.
    --Pulled out all the boards and cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner.
    --Sprayed *LOTS* of contact cleaner into the front panel switches and controls.

It also, had a problem that it would take 5+ minutes to turn on, but that problem has disappeared. You are right, for $35 bucks, it *IS* an amazing machine!!! It makes my Denon 687 sound very lame.

Thanks, Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 09-17-2009 at 08:17 AM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

1) Modify the EAR 834I by Mitch Singerman.
    2) Modify the Marantz SA-8001 by the Upgrade Company

JRA

Whattup Jaybo...good to see ya...missed yer craziness in ChiTown...

[QUOTE=manlystanley]
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby

Wow, Thanks! I've been noticing for sometime that the sound stage seems to collapse. Once when it did it, I went and put my ears to the speakers and heard that the left speaker had much less volume and was real muddy sounding. Next day I re-powered the setup on and it worked like a champ. Should I just get new electrolytic caps? Would that solve the problem??

Also, the sound stage seems to shift a lot. In other words, sometime I need to crank balance to the left to 9:00 O'clock, other times to the right to 3:000 OClock. Then sometimes it works like a champ and sounds amazing for a week.

When I got it, it was full of dust. So I:

--Blew out the dust.
    --Pulled out all the boards and cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner.
    --Sprayed *LOTS* of contact cleaner into the front panel switches and controls.

It also, had a problem that it would take 5+ minutes to turn on, but that problem has disappeared. You are right, for $35 bucks, it *IS* an amazing machine!!! It makes my Denon 687 sound very lame.

Thanks, Stan
    I'm a little short on time right now but I think we should start with the speaker power itself. You need to change out the fuses in order to rule that out. Have a look online and I will too, we'll figure out what fuses you'll need and track them down.

Much respect to anyone who's gonna take the time online to help a guy fix his kit. Greenies for you big poppa...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Right now, the only things I have on my to-do list would be to take both my VAC pre and Counterpoint amp to RHB Sound Dezign for som upgrades and mods.
    http://www.rhbsounddezign.com/
    Hyfi,

Have you dealt with RHB before?
    I've sent them 3 emails for mods on my VTL and EAR about 6 months ago, and I haven't received a single reply. Perhaps the old man Bob hasn't figured out how to use the Outlook?

Steve from The Great Northern Sound Company on the other hand had responded within 1/2 a day and I thought he was fairly honest with their service. He simply told me not to waste my money on upgrading the VTL. With all things considered, I'd decided to go with Mitch based on his great reputation. Trust factor plays alot when I'm letting a stranger alter my beloved toy.

I would love to hear your experience with RHB.
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Much respect to anyone who's gonna take the time online to help a guy fix his kit. Greenies for you big poppa...
    Yah...'Greenies' from me to big poopa!!! err... That's a good thing, right??

I cann't give you any more green blocks...I owe you some when the system lets me.

Poopa, I got that manual, that's how I adjusted the various potentiometers and there biases. I don't think I've got a fuse problem, it works fine at least half the time. I costed out what new caps would cost and I'm looking at about $80 for the caps. Then the time to install. I just don't know if it makes more sense to buy a less old pre-amp and go on from there???

Hey Stan, I'm at work so quickly...that's something you'll have to decide, sounds like you have your heart set on some new gear. Clean up the HK, bag it and then shelf it. I always have 1 or 2 amps shelfed, you can bring it back out when the time is right.

Hey Stan, I'm at work so quickly...that's something you'll have to decide, sounds like you have your heart set on some new gear. Clean up the HK, bag it and then shelf it. I always have 1 or 2 amps shelfed, you can bring it back out when the time is right.
    Hello Poopa,
    As always, great advice. And, your right, I got my bonus burning a hole in my pocket...... This audio stuff is almost addicting. I teleworking tomorrow and so I listen to music all day long!

Best Regards,
    Stan

Hey Stan, I would still recommend changing out your fuses if you haven't done so yet. I still think your problem exists in the speaker power circuitry. As far as the caps go, never change caps on a quality vintage unit unless there is visible or audible issues. There is a list of maintenance to do before changing out your caps, so keep that 80 in your pocket for now brudda. So what kind of amp do you think you'll buy Stan? I get the impression you're a power freak, lots and lots of watts? I couldn't be more opposite. Well hey keep me posted and I f you want to do something with the HK let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3db
    Forum Regular
    Upgrade plan??

Hmmmm,, Well I got a Yammy RX-V1800 that decodes all teh latest. I just need to do run the firmware upgrade that will let it pass B than B and W then W.

Have a decent turntable, and Speakers. Even teh sub is pretty good...just doesn't dig into the 20 Hz region though...so I guess that would be my next upgrade.... oh wait don't have a blu ray plaer yet...nix the sub.. I have to get the Blu-Ray player.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information