Forum Regular

Reiver/amp problems!

I just hooked up my carver amp,which I got off of ebay.I hooked it up to my receivers preouts,amp works,and sounds great,but I have hardly any output on the speaker levels on the receiver,I have outdoor speakers still hooked up to the receiver,but you can barely here them,with the volume turned way up,Ive tried both A and B,Ive unhooked the amp,still nothing...how could I have done anything to the receiver by hooking up the amp?Any ideas?

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

A quick guess...

...is there a switch for Pre-out/Power-in...or jumpers?

jimHJJ(...maybe???...)

Quote Originally Posted by tullymars
    I just hooked up my carver amp,which I got off of ebay.I hooked it up to my receivers preouts,amp works,and sounds great,but I have hardly any output on the speaker levels on the receiver
    As RL suggested, the PRE-OUT/MAIN-IN connections I've seen on receivers and integrated amps are a dedicated thing - you get the receiver amp OR the external amp, but not both. Unless of course, you use Y adapters to split the output to both the Carver AND back into the receiver's internal amplifier's MAIN-IN.

Make sense, RL?

rw

Forum Regular

Unhappy

Ok,I unstand,but when I unhook the amp,hook the speakers back up to the receiver,I only get minute sound out of one speeaker,on speaker A or B

Forum Regular
    Ok,figuerd it ...jumpers have to be in the receiver...it works

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

I have used such a scheme...

...with my vintage Pioneer integrated...one leg of the "y" to feed my Citation power amp for my mains, the other thru an ambience processor and back into the integrated's "power-ins" driving the rears...There is a school of thought that "y"s can cause some adverse interaction(as offered by JR). I must say I tend to agree with him(fancy that). I personally never encountered any problem, but that was with my gear. There is always the possibility others might have different results.

Unfortunately, other outputs such as "tape out" or "tape mon" are useless in this particular app since(as I'm sure you are aware) their output is at a fixed line level and the volume and tone controls do not affect that signal...although, if I recall correctly, there can even be exceptions to that rule.

After a fairly long hiatus from the hardware(upgrade-itis) side of the hobby, I have found some of the newer stuff(while lacking what I consider essential switching options) do have the facilities for a "zone 2" with which either the same source or a SAP can be played. A newer receiver would simplify matters...but that might not be an option for reasons outlined above. Some newer "pre-"s also have multi usable outputs...they tend to be the "pricier" higher-end units, however.

jimHJJ(..."y"s should be OK...)

Thread Information