Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Aging Smartass

An Open Letter to All Members

I dont' know why this is so, but I seem to have an innate ability to bring out the worst in some people. It's not something I consciously do, but it still somehow manages to happen.

When I joined AR, I had just been banned from "another" site, and wrongfully used AR as a sounding board to state my dissatisfaction with that site. Rightfully, I was informed that such was "bad form," and my posts were deleted. I rarely ever mention that "other" site, unless someone else mentions it first. If anyone's really interested in why I'm not there anymore, just send me a PM, and I'll give you all the gory details.

When I post a thread here, or a comment to another's thread, I generally do so with the purpose of providing useful information. Either I'm relying on my experience in the industry, or my personal listening experiences over the years to make the comments and judgements that I do.

If, for example, I send the woofers of my Dahlquist DQ-10's to a facility in Florida for a refoam, and that facility takes over 8 weeks to complete the repair, and sends the woofers back with a significant defect, that then becomes information readers of this site need to know about. If I then take those "repaired" woofers, and send them off to Regnar in N.Y. for a complete rebuild (for three times the money), and get them back in outstanding condition in less than two weeks, resulting in my DQ-10's sounding better than ever, then that too is noteworthy. So too, is the first outfit's statement that "we stand by our work," and then refusing to refund the $80 I paid them for a sloppy job.

If I spend $80 on a digital coax cable to connect my CD player to my DAC, and it sounds noticeably better in all respects than another one costing more than twice as much, that's worth posting too. So too is posting my stunned observations as to the significant sonic improvements the "Achromat" turnable mat makes.

If I purchase a used turntable on ebay, and receive it in near mint condition, with not one, but two perfectly functioning Shure cartridges, and then discover that the turntable winds up being the best sounding one I've ever owned, that becomes news worthy of shouting from the rooftops. And, it also provides a modicum of credibility for making purchases on ebay.

While I'm 63, and spent close to 40 years in the industry, the old adage still holds: I may grow older, but I don't necesssarily grow up. Little ticks me off more than someone disputing what I've stated, not just because they disagree (which anyone has a right to), but because they accuse me of being a liar, making up stories as I go along, and, for reasons that have totally eluded me, calling me a coward as well, then I, unfortunately, allow my ego to take over, and I respond with an equally nasty post of my own.

AR is not the place for such stuff, no matter how justified I, or others may think. My experience should give a modicum of credibility to much of what I have to say, but, since I've been retired now for almost 8 years, I know that many things have changed. I know nothing whatsoever about the interface between one's computer, and one's home audio system, and so I never dare post a comment on any such related thread.

I know cartridges very well, but not any of the newer, very expensive moving coil models, all of which I suspect would dazzle me if I were to buy one and install it in my tonearm. I've frequently heaped praise on the Stanton Collector's Series CS-100 I own because, after extended listening tests between it and many other cartridges, I prefer its sound. Some of those "others" are: Shure V/15 Type V Mxr, Ortofon MC-20 MKII, and Denon DL-103D - all fairly stiff competition for sure. To off-handedly dismiss the CS-100, without ever having heard it, is just wrong.

So, to any who may have found my posts offensive in any way, I sincerely apologize, with one very noticeable exception (see, I told you I don't have to grow up!). To those of you who feel what I have to offer is worthwhile, and interesting reading, then I hope to continue in that vein in the future.

In the meantime, happy reading, either from me, or others here at AR.

Mutant from table 9
    Emaidel, I have no idea what you're talking about... and I mean that as a compliment.

If there has been some nastyness between you and other members, then I have missed it. I enjoy your posts and always viewed you as a voice from the reasonable middle, so to say. Even if I didn't come to know your CV through your posts, your advice carries the mark of experience.

Stay around, stay vocal, stay polite, and there are no worries. Right?

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Huh? I don't remember seeing you argue with anyone. Was I out that day?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I dont' know why this is so, but I seem to have an innate ability to bring out the worst in some people. It's not something I consciously do, but it still somehow manages to happen.

Well I haven't notice that you bring out the worst in people. (There are a few here who are quite good at that: no names mentioned ) Personally I've enjoyed everything you've written. Keep up the good work.

You're doing fine and contribute greatly here with your experience.

You're only human and, as such, we sometimes respond to outside stimuli as it responds to us.

Whatever you're doing, keep it up. It's working.

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Emaidel, I have no idea what you're talking about... and I mean that as a compliment.

If there has been some nastyness between you and other members, then I have missed it. I enjoy your posts and always viewed you as a voice from the reasonable middle, so to say. Even if I didn't come to know your CV through your posts, your advice carries the mark of experience.

Stay around, stay vocal, stay polite, and there are no worries. Right?
    Check out the analog room thread, "Cartridge Help?" and you'll see what I'm talking about. I suspect you'll find it quite interesting!

Actually, a better thread to read to understand my point is , "WHY is belt drive better, or is it? in the analog room also. That thread wound up being locked as a result of the same poster's mannerisms.
    Last edited by emaidel; 02-27-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Huh? I don't remember seeing you argue with anyone. Was I out that day?
    See my response above to slumpbuster.

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Well I haven't notice that you bring out the worst in people. (There are a few here who are quite good at that: no names mentioned ) Personally I've enjoyed everything you've written. Keep up the good work.

Check out the last two posts here from me, and in particular, the one about the "WHY is belt drive better, or is it?" thread. Have fun reading!
    Last edited by emaidel; 02-27-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am so glad to have another turntable tweaker on the forums. The post that had to be locked down I never thought was due to anything you might have posted. I still shake my head over that one.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I always enjoy your posts emaidel, keep 'em coming.

Always good to hear from another vinyl guy.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Aging Smartass
    Actually, I'm not a vinyl guy. Despite my enthusiasm for my Dual CS-5000, the Stanton Collector's Series CS-100 installed in it, the Parasound PPH-100 phono preamp it's connected to and the new Achromat mat I purchased for it, I still prefer the sound of CD's. I'm continually impressed as to how good records still sound, especially considering the age of most of mine, but the ever present snap, crackle and pop drives me nuts. I'm an avid classical music fan, and it was the CD that opened up my appreciation for that kind of music, starting with the first player I purchased back in '83, since, for the first time in my life, I could listen to a classical recording, and not have to listen through the noise to hear the music.

Still, like most tinkerers, there's not too much you can do to a CD player or transport, other than try different interconnects, as I have. With a turntable, you can try different cartridges, different tonearm wiring, different mats, record clamps, etc., etc. It's still fun to do something different (such as purchasing the Achromat) and listening to the improvement it makes. There's nothing like that I can do for my CD changer, as any of the "stablizers" simply won't work in it. And, I"m not a believer in "magic pebbles" either.

Emaidel,

Your first observation about having a way of sometimes getting under people's skin is understandable. You seem like a well spoken and intelligent individual. Some of your information is very interesting and informative, but based on older technology. I must confess that you got under my skin twice. In the best of spirits I responded to one of your threads, where you started by saying you were turning 63. I posted a picture of my TT and you responded with a question. In response I wished you well and with good will suggested a few things for health given your middle age. Even if you disagreed with me or thought what I said was nonsense, you should have recognized what was offered was out of kindness of spirit. It took me 10 minutes to respond to you, you responded to my with one word; Blechhh. I thought what anyone would think in the face of suce a response - what a jerk... The second instance you were taking of the merits of the Stanton CS-100 cartridge, expecting people to read your long post. I asked you a question, to which you yet again responded with one word; Nope.
    If people take the time to read your posts, and take their time to respond with politness and in good spirit; then have the decency to respond in kind , and not some blowoff that is by nature rather rude. I am a busy man. I am going to be 45 years old this year. I own a successful business and have 20 employees of my own. My time is just as limited and valuable as yours. I happen to have a great deal of experience in designing and building audio systems ( I will be posting pictures of my own system soon) because it has been a passion for years, and when I offer my insight or respond to someone, I expect the same courtesy in kind. I think thats only fair, don't you?

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Emaidel,

Your first observation about having a way of sometimes getting under people's skin is understandable. You seem like a well spoken and intelligent individual. Some of your information is very interesting and informative, but based on older technology. I must confess that you got under my skin twice. In the best of spirits I responded to one of your threads, where you started by saying you were turning 63. I posted a picture of my TT and you responded with a question. In response I wished you well and with good will suggested a few things for health given your middle age. Even if you disagreed with me or thought what I said was nonsense, you should have recognized what was offered was out of kindness of spirit. It took me 10 minutes to respond to you, you responded to my with one word; Blechhh. I thought what anyone would think in the face of suce a response - what a jerk... The second instance you were taking of the merits of the Stanton CS-100 cartridge, expecting people to read your long post. I asked you a question, to which you yet again responded with one word; Nope.
    If people take the time to read your posts, and take their time to respond with politness and in good spirit; then have the decency to respond in kind , and not some blowoff that is by nature rather rude. I am a busy man. I am going to be 45 years old this year. I own a successful business and have 20 employees of my own. My time is just as limited and valuable as yours. I happen to have a great deal of experience in designing and building audio systems ( I will be posting pictures of my own system soon) because it has been a passion for years, and when I offer my insight or respond to someone, I expect the same courtesy in kind. I think thats only fair, don't you?
    I think you're being a bit too thin-skinned, my friend. My one-word responses that you're referring to were not meant to be the insults you took them to be, so if that's how you interpreted them, I'd have to say I'm sorry for that.

Suspended
    I for one am not afraid to say you brought out the worst in me, thanks for the scape goat. "Emaidel, made me do it!"

As long as you dont post something like i have in the "steel cage" your fine ;-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    As long as you dont post something like i have in the "steel cage" your fine ;-)
    I was looking for that one brings back memories

Holy crap! Here it is.... OUCH

Rant of the week to all you so called knowledgeable guys

I just reread it.... quite emberassing.. but some points are still valid :-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I for one am not afraid to say you brought out the worst in me, thanks for the scape goat. "Emaidel, made me do it!"
    That's the spirit! Glad to be of service!

"why Ike, are we no longer friends???? Ya' Know Ike, if I thought we weren't friends, I don't think I could bear it"

Mutant from table 9
    Actually, I'm not a vinyl guy.
    Oh, really? In that case I withdraw my support. You should be banned.

Mutant from table 9
    Yeah, especially that part about Goldmund vs. Toshiba transports. No difference at all. They both have Phillips guts.

Muwahahahahaahahaha.... Still one of the funniest posts even IMO. Thanks for the walk down memory lane Flo. You sure have changed.

Oh, and I still like my Yamaha receiver.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Mutant from table 9
    Emaidel, I finally read the threads in question. If it was AK that you were banned from, then that's cool. I got banned from AK too. I still don't know why. The best I can tell is that maybe someone took offense to my name, which is a salty old sports reference.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

I remember this thread, wasn't that the day we were picking cactus needles out of yer bum? The censors were sure busy on that post.

I really miss Resident Loser. I had some good debates with him, some contentious, but always fun.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

When I joined AR, I had just been banned from "another" site, and wrongfully used AR as a sounding board to state my dissatisfaction with that site. Rightfully, I was informed that such was "bad form," and my posts were deleted. I rarely ever mention that "other" site, unless someone else mentions it first. If anyone's really interested in why I'm not there anymore, just send me a PM, and I'll give you all the gory details.

When I post a thread here, or a comment to another's thread, I generally do so with the purpose of providing useful information. Either I'm relying on my experience in the industry, or my personal listening experiences over the years to make the comments and judgements that I do.

If, for example, I send the woofers of my Dahlquist DQ-10's to a facility in Florida for a refoam, and that facility takes over 8 weeks to complete the repair, and sends the woofers back with a significant defect, that then becomes information readers of this site need to know about. If I then take those "repaired" woofers, and send them off to Regnar in N.Y. for a complete rebuild (for three times the money), and get them back in outstanding condition in less than two weeks, resulting in my DQ-10's sounding better than ever, then that too is noteworthy. So too, is the first outfit's statement that "we stand by our work," and then refusing to refund the $80 I paid them for a sloppy job.

If I spend $80 on a digital coax cable to connect my CD player to my DAC, and it sounds noticeably better in all respects than another one costing more than twice as much, that's worth posting too. So too is posting my stunned observations as to the significant sonic improvements the "Achromat" turnable mat makes.

If I purchase a used turntable on ebay, and receive it in near mint condition, with not one, but two perfectly functioning Shure cartridges, and then discover that the turntable winds up being the best sounding one I've ever owned, that becomes news worthy of shouting from the rooftops. And, it also provides a modicum of credibility for making purchases on ebay.

While I'm 63, and spent close to 40 years in the industry, the old adage still holds: I may grow older, but I don't necesssarily grow up. Little ticks me off more than someone disputing what I've stated, not just because they disagree (which anyone has a right to), but because they accuse me of being a liar, making up stories as I go along, and, for reasons that have totally eluded me, calling me a coward as well, then I, unfortunately, allow my ego to take over, and I respond with an equally nasty post of my own.

AR is not the place for such stuff, no matter how justified I, or others may think. My experience should give a modicum of credibility to much of what I have to say, but, since I've been retired now for almost 8 years, I know that many things have changed. I know nothing whatsoever about the interface between one's computer, and one's home audio system, and so I never dare post a comment on any such related thread.

I know cartridges very well, but not any of the newer, very expensive moving coil models, all of which I suspect would dazzle me if I were to buy one and install it in my tonearm. I've frequently heaped praise on the Stanton Collector's Series CS-100 I own because, after extended listening tests between it and many other cartridges, I prefer its sound. Some of those "others" are: Shure V/15 Type V Mxr, Ortofon MC-20 MKII, and Denon DL-103D - all fairly stiff competition for sure. To off-handedly dismiss the CS-100, without ever having heard it, is just wrong.

So, to any who may have found my posts offensive in any way, I sincerely apologize, with one very noticeable exception (see, I told you I don't have to grow up!). To those of you who feel what I have to offer is worthwhile, and interesting reading, then I hope to continue in that vein in the future.

Meh, you are tame compared to me. My delivery is as smooth as steel wool, everyone is just pleased after I post something.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs