Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 126 to 139 of 139
  1. #126
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Also IMO, much of the problems in audio arise because some 'golden ear' audiophiles claim ultra-dramatic, night and day differences between just about any product.... Differences that are subtle or can't even be heard by 'regular ears'...
    Not only that, but in terms of systems and recordings demonstrating superior dynamics, 'regular ears' may well prefer the louder, more compressed signal rendered by the lesser system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    .. but they are unlikely to accept the notion of dramatic differences, when they can't hear any difference...
    At the uppermost end of the resolution scale, you really need some initial training as to the kind of detail for which to listen. At least that was the case with me trying to fully understand the observations of my audio reviewer friends.

    rw

  2. #127
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,176
    Good point and in addition, at least in my case and I'd think others, lesser expensive gear are more prone to colorations and that tends to be what we are used to. It takes some listening and exposure to higher end gear to become familiar with the benefits and accuracies.

  3. #128
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,176
    Emaidel, I hope our debate didn't discourage you. I really didn't mean anything by it except a debate.

    I recently saw a very good price for a new C-J CT-6 and was really considering the possibility of the upgrade. Then I sat down and listened to some music on my system. I realized that my current system is doing everything I want it to do for now. So I put the brakes on. On one hand I still wrestle with the idea that I am missing a good deal but also that's a lot of money with other family needs it could go for. If I wasn't content with my system I would have probably made the upgrade happen. So I do realize that we can be content for less money and level of gear. If money was never an issue though I'm sure I'd probably have an ART preamp and LP70 monoblocks.

  4. #129
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by robin banks
    www.hifitalk.forumotion.com

    you know it makes sence
    someone report this guy

  5. #130
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    someone report this guy
    This will be the fourth deletion today. Banning is next.

    rw

  6. #131
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    This will be the fourth deletion today. Banning is next.

    rw

    He sent me a PM, asking me to join another forum,
    does that count as spam too?

    just ban the pr!ck

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  7. #132
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    This will be the fourth deletion today. Banning is next.

    rw

  8. #133
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    He sent me a PM, asking me to join another forum,
    does that count as spam too?

    just ban the pr!ck

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    LOL damn right!

  9. #134
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Has there ever been a DBT in which the hearing and cognitive abilities of the subjects was tested prior to any music being played? Clearly, my hearing is going to be different than Florian's or Basite's or E-Stat's or Feanor's. Circumstances of lifestyle and age must effect one's hearing and to discount that must surely negate the certis paribus aspect of the scientific method.

    Hardcore objectivists rarely like to talk about the specifics of their systems...hhhmmm.

    I wouldn't go into someone's art gallery and tell them they could have the equivalent if they went from room to room in a Motel 6 copping prints.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 03-08-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  10. #135
    Ajani
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    ....I recently saw a very good price for a new C-J CT-6 and was really considering the possibility of the upgrade. Then I sat down and listened to some music on my system. I realized that my current system is doing everything I want it to do for now. So I put the brakes on. On one hand I still wrestle with the idea that I am missing a good deal but also that's a lot of money with other family needs it could go for. If I wasn't content with my system I would have probably made the upgrade happen. So I do realize that we can be content for less money and level of gear. If money was never an issue though I'm sure I'd probably have an ART preamp and LP70 monoblocks.
    I think that's what happens to a lot of people, they reach a stage where they know that there is better sound available, but their system is good enough for them just to enjoy the music... For some that stage comes pretty early in the audio game (ht receiver and entry level speakers)....for others, not untill they have Apogee Grands (lol)...

    Seriously though, congratulations... that's a really good stage to be it.... it means you can take it easy, enjoy the music and when funds permit - consider an upgrade (not that you have to)....

  11. #136
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1
    www.hifitalk.forumotion.com

    nutters paradise peeps

  12. #137
    Ajani
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Has there ever been a DBT in which the hearing and cognitive abilities of the subjects was tested prior to any music being played? Clearly, my hearing is going to be different than Florian's or Basite's or E-Stat's or Feanor's. Circumstances of lifestyle and age must effect one's hearing and to discount that must surely negate the certis paribus aspect of the scientific method.

    Hardcore objectivists rarely like to talk about the specifics of their systems...hhhmmm.

    I wouldn't go into someone's art gallery and tell them they could have the equivalent if they went from room to room in a Motel 6 copping prints.
    All good points...

    Keep in mind though, that Art Connoisseurs probably don't get much more respect than Audiophiles (Why aren't we called Audio Connoisseurs? That sounds so much classier and less like some kind of Sexual Deviant)... Many people regard Art and Wine Connoisseurs as being full of $"*..... and regard a print from Motel 6 as being just as good as a Picasso original....

  13. #138
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    All good points...

    Keep in mind though, that Art Connoisseurs probably don't get much more respect than Audiophiles (Why aren't we called Audio Connoisseurs? That sounds so much classier and less like some kind of Sexual Deviant)... Many people regard Art and Wine Connoisseurs as being full of $"*..... and regard a print from Motel 6 as being just as good as a Picasso original....
    No, not for wine, at least not here. Wine is much less of a subjective matter. I don't think you can compare it to audio, or even art as you state.
    I do love your signature

  14. #139
    Ajani
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    No, not for wine, at least not here. Wine is much less of a subjective matter. I don't think you can compare it to audio, or even art as you state.
    I hadn't thought about Europe when I was thinking of the wine tasting example.... But considering the popularity of wine as an everyday drink there, wine tasting is less likely to be mocked (if at all)... here on the other hand, wine is often seen more as a 'luxury' drink..... So I've actually heard people mock wine tasting here.... Different culture I guess...

    EDIT: Good point btw... not sure I agree on whether wine tasting is less subjective though...

    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I do love your signature
    LOL.... yeah I think we need a name change in this hobby...
    Last edited by Ajani; 03-08-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •