Forum Regular

Marantz-ophiles: Help with 4230 receiver?

Recently I bought a Marantz 4230 receiver off an auction site. Thought the sound so far
    seems to work beautifully, the face plate is beat up, especially around the corners where they are "dog eared"--bent back. Also two feet are missing. So my questions are these:

Any ideas about places to scavenge for parts recievers, (for a face plate)besides Ebay and classic audio?

Has anyone tried to physically repair a beat up face plate--ie, grinder, hammer out, etc. Maybe my marantz-mania has got the best of me, but it would seem feasible with the right tools and touch....?

Finally, I am curious about others' experience with this receiver. Mine has all its meters and lamp lights working, from what I understand is a minor miracle. Also any suggestions as to what kinds of speakers work well with the unit....

Thanks in advance. Natlus.

The feet are pretty tough to find although you'll see some pop up on ebay every once in a awhile. I just bought some isolation cones and stuck them under my 2230 as it was easier and cheaper than trying to find exact matches.

I have no idea how to fix that faceplate. You might try some of the vintage forums over at audiokarma or audiocircle.

As far as what speakers, I'd suggest whatever sounds best to you. These old things are built like tanks so feel free to hook up just about any dynamic speaker you care to think of. I'd avoid notoriously tough loads like Theil, Martin Logan, and Maggies. Otherwise, you should be fine with about 99% of the other speakers out there.

Have fun with your new toy.

Very nice!

I second Topspeeds' recs.

If the faceplate is shot anyway I'd try beating it flat - what do you have to lose? Maybe sandwitch it between heavy felt and wood?

I recently picked up a 4415 - not as optioned as yours, and of course needed feet too.

Right now it's setting on empty cassette cases, I'll find an old junky rec'r at a thrift store and loot the feet off it one of these days .

Next I plan on jumping the 4 channel tape inputs and try biamping with it. I'm not sure if it'll matter, but what the hey, it's worth a try!

Have fun!

Pete

From classic-audio.com, for the "new equipment" guys:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Forum Regular

What are isolation cones?

[QUOTE=topspeed]The feet are pretty tough to find although you'll see some pop up on ebay every once in a awhile. I just bought some isolation cones and stuck them under my 2230 as it was easier and cheaper than trying to find exact matches.

Thanks for the reply...one question, what are isolation cones, and where do I get them?

I think I understand why these receivers are so popular--they
    feel and look like well crafted, solid machines, and the sound is so musical. Looks like
    getting parts on Ebay is a pretty popular and expensive sport.

Natlus.

Thread Information