Forum Regular

marantz receiver circle surround II problem!!!

I have a Marantz SR-8300 receiver. When I listen to anything-music, tv, ect... in CS II I hear a bothersome low end bassy hum coming from my speakers. This sound is especially bothersome the moment I switch channels. This doesn't occur in any of the other modes Dolby Pro logic II or dts or dolby digital, so it is not my speakers. Has anyone else run across this problem? Thanks

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey37
    I have a Marantz SR-8300 receiver. When I listen to anything-music, tv, ect... in CS II I hear a bothersome low end bassy hum coming from my speakers. This sound is especially bothersome the moment I switch channels. This doesn't occur in any of the other modes Dolby Pro logic II or dts or dolby digital, so it is not my speakers. Has anyone else run across this problem? Thanks
    Lowkey37; My brother has the Marantz 5400. In the CS 2 mode, there is no hum from that or any other mode. Since this is the only mode effected giving hum, it sounds like a defect in that mode of operation. It sounds to me like a possible cold connection possibly with the chip involved with the CS-2 processing on the receivers chassis. Play around with the trubass adjustment and see if you hear an increase in the hum. Just to be sure, be sure all your connections to the rear of the receiver are tight. Its a longshot, but perhaps an analog input cable is defective and the CS-2 circuit might be sensitive to that.

Forum Regular

Thanks I'll try this soon!

Maybe this will help I think marantz just had a problem with some of the receivers

Forum Regular

Yes

The more I turn up the tru bass the more I hear the hummmmm!@

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey37
    The more I turn up the tru bass the more I hear the hummmmm!@
    Lowkey37; I figured a good possibility that would happen. I have not heard of any current problems with Marantz receivers. However, I think that there is a defect in any of the circuitry involved with the CS-2. The CS-2 itself is working, so this leads me to believe that there is a cold soldering joint involving that circuitry. I think you will have to take your receiver in to service. You could call Marantz, have your receiver on and set to CS-2 with trubass on max and when you are speaking to a service technichian, put your phone next to the speaker that is giving you that bass so he or she can hear it. I have a feeling to going to say the same thing that I am advocating.

Thread Information