Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I have a problem here . . .

with the selection of 996turbo to be the moderator of the Cables and Amp/Preamp forums. I don't believe he has an open mind or the proper understanding of various points of the view on these subjects.

To illustrate my objections read this thread from last April:
    Mytrcraft is an idiot.

What do you think?

Forum Regular
    hmm thats the only thread I have read of his, but I would have to say labeling someone you know little about an idiot isn't exactly the what Ilook for in a moderator.

ph

I guess that depends on who is being called an idiot.

...time will tell how even handedly these rules are applied. One of the more recent postings...

mtry, this ones for you ;^)

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Forgiveness is the economy of the heart . . . Forgiveness saves expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits.
    - Hannah More
    As long as you don't forgive, who and whatever it is will occupy rent-free space in your mind.
    - Isabelle Holland
    Surely it is much more generous to forgive and remember, than to forgive and forget.
    - Maria Edgeworth
    It can go on and on, or someone must write 'The End' to it. I have concluded that only I can do that. And if I can, I must.(Ford’s pardon of Richard Nixon for Watergate)
    - Gerald Ford
    What power has love but forgiveness?
    - William Carlos Williams
    The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.
    - Honoré de Balzac
    To err is human, to forgive, divine
    - Alexander Pope
    There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
    - Josh Billings

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerd
    with the selection of 996turbo to be the moderator of the Cables and Amp/Preamp forums. I don't believe he has an open mind or the proper understanding of various points of the view on these subjects.

Mytrcraft is an idiot.

What do you think?
    I'd like to point out that the post in question is nearly two years old. Perhaps 996turbo has matured since then. Let's hope so!

But I agree with you that the post in question demonstrates absolutely NONE of the qualities I would seek in a forum moderator. Perhaps 996turbo's first job as a moderator will be to go through and delete all of his existing innappropriate posts.

-Adam

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Forgiveness is the economy of the heart . . . Forgiveness saves expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits.
    - Hannah More
    etc... etc...

In my opinion, these quotes do not appropriatealy address the complaint at hand.

-Adam

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by dmb_fan
    I'd like to point out that the post in question is nearly two years old. Perhaps 996turbo has matured since then. Let's hope so!

But I agree with you that the post in question demonstrates absolutely NONE of the qualities I would seek in a forum moderator. Perhaps 996turbo's first job as a moderator will be to go through and delete all of his existing innappropriate posts.

-Adam
    Not that I care but, the post in question was only 4 months ago. Where did you get 2 years?

I say, give him a chance.

I'm much more concerned about Sir TT. Does he actually know anything?

JSE

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Not that I care but, the post in question was only 4 months ago. Where did you get 2 years?

I'm much more concerned about Sir TT. Does he actually know anything?

JSE
    Good eye, JSE! I mistook the poster's join date--November 2002--for the date of the post in April of this year.

Wow. Four months changes things significantly! That's exactly what we need! Moderators who--totally unprovoked--recently flamed longtime members!

This whole situation is a real shame.

-Adam

I have a problem here with the selection of 996turbo to be the moderator of the Cables and Amp/Preamp forums. I don't believe he has an open mind or the proper understanding of various points of the view on these subjects.

What do you think?
    I think that --

he is open-minded enough to trust his hearing
    he properly understands that what he hears is the point of view that matters
    he has a notable amount of experience with audiophile equipment
    he'll make a good moderator

Oh really?

Is that why in this post: Mytrcraft is an idiot.
    you told him to go away?

Karma can be so funny sometimes.

"Reality supercedes science."
    -- badman, 9/3/02, AudioAsylum.com

A "moderator" isn't God. They are more like a baby sitter making sure the kids don't bite each other's ears off, that's all. In fact, a good moderator won't be seen as a moderator at all, just another poster. While I agree that particular post wouldn't be something I'd put in my resume, I don't think 996 will be a problem.

Besides, how bad could a Porchephile be ?

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB
    Oh really?

you told him to go away?

I just said give him a chance. He actions will speak for him from this point forward. Do I have reservations? Sure, I guess? Although, I don't really care who is a moderator. If any moderator becomes a problem then I am confident that our new Administrator will pull the plug on him/her. In a perfect world that is.

Everyone just needs to chill out and let time determine if 996Turbo will be a good moderator and if this these boards will be better or worse than before under new management.

JSE

Don't worry guys, moderators will be subject to the rules as well.. They won't be able to abuse their powers or other people.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    A "moderator" isn't God.
    Maybe you should ask some of the poeple here about Jon Risch, who moderates the Cable Asylum. Although he may not literally be God, he sure acts like it.

-Bruce

Angry

Mytrcraft is an idiot.

What do you think?
    I agree, he entirely unqualified for this position, in my opinion. However, should we be shocked considering the "Science Lab" was originally called "Naysayer Lab"(or something similar, the naysayer part is all I clearly remember because of it's blatently ad hominem nature). It's clear that those in charge here want to turn this place into another AA, full of fairy tales without the opportunity for dissention.

-Bruce
    ("Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams)

Then don't go there. Gee, that was hard. (nt)

Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Maybe you should ask some of the poeple here about Jon Risch, who moderates the Cable Asylum. Although he may not literally be God, he sure acts like it.

-Bruce

I just said give him a chance. He actions will speak for him from this point forward. Do I have reservations? Sure, I guess? Although, I don't really care who is a moderator. If any moderator becomes a problem then I am confident that our new Administrator will pull the plug on him/her. In a perfect world that is.

Everyone just needs to chill out and let time determine if 996Turbo will be a good moderator and if this these boards will be better or worse than before under new management.

JSE
    You nailed my sentiments exactly. If the new moderators do their job, then that can improve the quality of the board if it facilitates topical discussions and keeps the excesses and BS from taking over.

There have been many instances on this board where some moderation would have helped immensely, like when the trolls rolled in a couple of years ago and pretty much drove half of the regulars off the board. Those were cases where a moderator even loosely enforcing the rules would have helped keep the discussions focused on topic rather than letting trolls hijack every thread and hurl insults right and left.

I'm willing to see if the new approach works, but I'm also leery of seeing this site turned into a clone of other boards where any and every ridiculous claim goes, and meaningful challenges or technical discussions get censored. If not for this board, I would not have done my own experiments with room treatments and subwoofer tuning. I much appreciate that perspective (which is not only technically sound, but based on real world improvements that are both measurable and audible), because on other boards I probably would have been handed the usual "upgrade to expensive cables, go with outboard DACs, and double your amp wattage" money pit approach. If the new rules mean that I can no longer suggest that a $16 box of acoustic ceiling panels will do more for sound quality than a $7,500 battery-powered interconnect ever will, then that would be an immense disservice to everybody who comes onto this board to get some pointers on how to get more enjoyment out of their system.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    A "moderator" isn't God. They are more like a baby sitter making sure the kids don't bite each other's ears off, that's all. In fact, a good moderator won't be seen as a moderator at all, just another poster. While I agree that particular post wouldn't be something I'd put in my resume, I don't think 996 will be a problem.

Besides, how bad could a Porchephile be ?
    TS -

Thanx for injecting some perspective into the discussion. Much appreciated.

BTW, I was in your neck of the woods last week (Hanford and Fresno), and discovered a decent high end audio room over in Fresno. It's actually in the back room of the Bananas Hi-Fi car audio showroom (albeit a high end one -- they're currently fabricating an audio rig for a Ferrari Enzo, which does not provide space for an audio system). They're a dealer for Krell, PSB, Meridian, EchoBusters, and Vienna Acoustics, among others. They got one showroom open to the public, and their higher end stuff is by appointment only. The owner of the place was telling me that Meridian's self-powered digital tower speakers (these have the DACs built into the speaker, so the input signal is digital) pretty much blow away anything he's ever heard. If you're looking for some audition time, that might be a good challenge for you!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    If the new rules mean that I can no longer suggest that a $16 box of acoustic ceiling panels will do more for sound quality than a $7,500 battery-powered interconnect ever will, then that would be an immense disservice to everybody who comes onto this board to get some pointers on how to get more enjoyment out of their system.
    Ahh, but Wooch, you have to have really high-end equipment to be able to hear the benefits such an interconnect can deliver.
    And what kind of acoustic ceiling panels are you using? Polyvinyl? Acrylic? You should be using genuine Hungarian gopher skin....$142 per square ft.

Mytrcraft is an idiot.

What do you think?
    996turbo is the wrong person as moderator for these forums..

I'm willing to see if the new approach works, but I'm also leery of seeing this site turned into a clone of other boards where any and every ridiculous claim goes, and meaningful challenges or technical discussions get censored.
    I see. So, if someone tries something that you haven't tried, or hears something that you haven't heard, then what they say about the resulting sound is a "ridiculous claim"? And you will then feel the need to pose "meaningful challenges" to what that person has to say about what they heard, as if you are the arbiter of someone else's hearing ability? If so, then your approach is tantamount to calling that person a liar, and that's not going to be acceptable.

on other boards I probably would have been handed the usual "upgrade to expensive cables, go with outboard DACs, and double your amp wattage" money pit approach.
    On other boards, in addition to the examples you gave, I also frequently see suggestions regarding relatively inexpensive DIY solutions, or for products from mail-order/hobbyist-business shops that cost less than competing, more commercial offerings. The range of recommendations is good, as it gives people more options to decide from. Just because you don't happen to like some of the options, doesn't mean that those options are bad.

If the new rules mean that I can no longer suggest that a $16 box of acoustic ceiling panels will do more for sound quality than a $7,500 battery-powered interconnect ever will, then that would be an immense disservice to everybody who comes onto this board to get some pointers on how to get more enjoyment out of their system.
    If you have the experience of hearing that cable, and the effects it had in a system in comparison to the effects that ceiling panels had, then your comments on the subject would be very welcome. However, I get the impression that this is just an extreme hypothetical example you've invented, and that you haven't actually had this experience.
    "Reality supercedes science."
    -- badman, 9/3/02, AudioAsylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by ToddB
    Oh really?

you told him to go away?

This post is negitive and asks for proof..Eric please delete this post by ToddB

Quote Originally Posted by 46minaudio
    This post is negitive and asks for proof..Eric please delete this post by ToddB
    You may or not be aware that I have, after initially having declined the offfer, volunteered to join the ranks of moderators here.

I do not concur that this post "asks for proof". Unlike the poster's question, demands for proof cannot be answered with a simple "yes" or "no".

rw

BTW, I was in your neck of the woods last week (Hanford and Fresno), and discovered a decent high end audio room over in Fresno. It's actually in the back room of the Bananas Hi-Fi car audio showroom (albeit a high end one -- they're currently fabricating an audio rig for a Ferrari Enzo, which does not provide space for an audio system). They're a dealer for Krell, PSB, Meridian, EchoBusters, and Vienna Acoustics, among others. They got one showroom open to the public, and their higher end stuff is by appointment only. The owner of the place was telling me that Meridian's self-powered digital tower speakers (these have the DACs built into the speaker, so the input signal is digital) pretty much blow away anything he's ever heard. If you're looking for some audition time, that might be a good challenge for you!
    Thanks for the head's up Wooch. I've heard of that place. They used to carry Proceed (when it was in existence) if I remember right. I'm pretty well focused on upgrading my TV and STB to HD right now so from an audio standpoint, I'm pretty well set. More importantly, I'm ordering my new 4 wheeled toy next month and hey, we must have our priorities! I'd didn't choose "Topspeed" for nothin' !

Next time your in the neighborhood, PM me a few days in advance and I'll buy you lunch. If you have time, there's a guy in Sanger with the most ridiculous HT rooms you've every seen. He's got three...in his house...no kidding. His main rig consists if the Infinity IRS system, you know with the line source ribbons and bass towers, and Bass Shakers in the seats. Maybe I could bug him for a demo.

"To err is human, ...

... to forgive devine. Since I'm human, I don't always forgive."
    - Bill Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    To err is human, to forgive, divine
    - Alexander Pope

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information