Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    If you notice what I said in my post way above:

".........If you want a perfect match then it would be wise to look for the more recent used RB-35 and RS-35..........."

All you need now is to dump the RB-5's in favor of a pair or two of RS-35's surrounds (both side and rear surrounds...much preferable over direct radiators) and you will have a perfectly matched system as Klipsch recommends. They all have the exact same tweeter and the K-112X series Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/disc...er-system.aspx

At this point I wouldn't worry too much about power. The Onkyo 606 puts out a solid 100 watts per channel or more as needed. These Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient at about 96dB's of sensitivity. Compare for example if you had a neighbor on one side who had a 5.1 set of bookshelf speakers with a 87dB rating and the neighbor on the other side with a set at a 90dB rating. These are fairly avarage and above average for bookshelf speakers. If you were driving your Klipsch with the Onkyo 606 they would, to achieve the same volume levels, have to be using amps with 800 watts per channel for the 87dB speakers and 400 watts per channel for the 90dB speakers! (Later down the road maybe you could consider a separate power amp with smooth highs to match the Klipsch)

Remember to set all the speakers to "small" in your speaker setup procedures and a sub crossover at 80Hz or so. Movie soundtracks can be rather bright so use the cinema compensation function or whatever Onkyo calls it to reduce the overemphasized highs.

Let us know how everything looks and sounds.

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 12-12-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    If you notice what I said in my post way above:

".........If you want a perfect match then it would be wise to look for the more recent used RB-35 and RS-35..........."

RR6
    That's exactly why I snagged these when I saw they were available, RR6! I just happened to have the good fortune to find them factory refurbished instead of used.

I made the statement about money to illustrate that I was the ebay auction KING, baybee! Both times there was a speaker on the Klipsch Ebay store that I wanted I ninja-stealthed in and took it from the other bidders!

Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to get rid of my RB-5's and swap them out for surrounds. I have spent far far too much money as it is just getting to this point so I will have to be content with what I have.

And I'm not worried about power...it hasn't even crossed my mind since I made the decision to buy the Onkyo 606. The only thing left in my list of things to be concerned with is speaker cable and speaker stands. I'm very seriously considering just leaving the darned things sit on the floor.

Everyone can skip this part below--I'm just going to whine about how unlucky I've been during this process.

So far I've had:
    1) Onkyo receiver arrived with huge hole in the box--had to be returned for replacement.
    2) Center channel speaker arrived with big hole in the grill--had to be returned for replacement.
    3) HDMI cables that I ordered Monday, December 8 at 4AM and were shipped via USPS Priority Mail on that same day have not arrived as of Saturday, December 13. So I have yet to even see what the picture looks like on my new plasma television.

I definitely resemble the song on the old television show Hee Haw.
    "
    Gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deepest dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair, and agony on me!"

Well, now that I've got that out of my system, I'll try to find something to do this weekend that doesn't involve watching television!

Oh, and by the way, I do know it's possible to hook things up and watch it without using an HDMI cable--but I'm stubborn and I don't want to turn it on until it is fully and properly connected.
    Klipsch RB-35 fronts
    Klipsch RB-5 rears
    Klipsch RC-62 center
    Klipsch LF-10 sub
    Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
    Panasonic TH-50PZ800U TV
    Panasonic DMP-BD35P BD Player

Actually, I've reconsidered and decided that since it will be at least another 48 hours until I get my HDMI cables, it is a total waste of time for me to not be taking advantage of this time to use for the break-in period. It's too bad I didn't think of this earlier in the week...I could nearly have been over and done with the whole process! Ah well, hindsight is 20/20.
    Klipsch RB-35 fronts
    Klipsch RB-5 rears
    Klipsch RC-62 center
    Klipsch LF-10 sub
    Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
    Panasonic TH-50PZ800U TV

Well I just got the replacement in for the damaged RC-35 center channel speaker, and they upgraded me to an RC-62!! Apparently they didn't have any more of the RC-35's left in stock. I can't tell if this is a refurbished one or brand new, but either way that's quite an upgrade. Woohoo!
    Klipsch RB-35 fronts
    Klipsch RB-5 rears
    Klipsch RC-62 center
    Klipsch LF-10 sub
    Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
    Panasonic TH-50PZ800U TV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information