Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Troy's Avatar Thread...

You can't put that kind of Peanut Butter on the trap and not expect a mouse to stick his head in to git it!!!! Gives us the 411 bro!!!!

Worf

Oh, very well. Here's why I'm going to go out of my way to avoid Avatar:

It's well documented that Cameron almost drowned several of his actors and crew filming The Abyss. What was most shocking was his lack of contrition or remorse about it. I remember reading an interview with an extremely pissed off Ed Harris about it. The crew boycotted the set and there were lawsuits. It was a real mess.

Cameron is the worst kind of Hollywood hack director. He's always been very willing to crush and ruin the career of anyone in the way. Again, very well documented if you care to look for it. Where most great directors develop a rapport with crews and actors, using them over and over again on all their productions, Cameron goes thru people like kleenex. Nobody wants to work with the guy twice.

Lets look at his movies. Does anyone even care that The Abyss exists at this point? Glacial pace and virtually no payoff at the end of almost 3 hours. What a bloated stiff. Aliens was the best thing he ever did hands down, but when you get down to it, this was nothing more than a coke and popcorn, bug-hunt, sci-fi flick. There's really nothing else there. The Terminator movies started out as a quicky low-budget action hack-job that looks embarrassingly dated now. And the series devolved into bloated mess with bigger budgets, more CGI and explosions with even less character or logic driving the story. Titanic was excessive, cheesy and overwrought in virtually every way. Really, a terrible movie who's CGI effects already look dated (the problem with every CGI-driven film, but that's another post). Far as I'm concerned, winning the best picture oscarŽ is usually a bad thing. The bad movie, the one that will be embarrassing when you look back at it 10 years later, almost always wins.

This Avatar flick looks like no exception to his parade of infantile crap. I can't tell you the last time I've seen such an overhyped advertising campaign! Man, you cannot avoid hearing about how "this movie will change moviegoing, forever!" There's been an all out blitz in every form of media and even a 60 Minutes story for old people. It's been my experience that the more a movie is advertised, the more it's going to suck. If that's true, then Avatar will be a monumental turd. Face it, any movie where the ad campaign uses an ancient cornball line like "We're not in Kansas anymore" has got to be written for a 9 year olds level of understanding. I bet someone says "Lock and Load" at some point too. Pathetic. Inexcusable in a movie hails itself as a total industry changer.

And let me get this straight, the lead character has lost his legs in battle and you see him in a wheel chair and they tell him he can walk again by putting his consciousness in this alien body they made from alien DNA. Well if they can do that, why can't they just cook up some new human legs for him from his own DNA? What an incredibly STUPID idea on such a basic, fundamental level! Typical, half-baked Cameron BS. I can hear the back room talk: "We'll just dazzle 'em with shiny stuff and they'll forget that it doesn't make any sense."

Does Roger Dean get an art direction credit? So much of the look of this movie is a outright rip off of many of RD's paintings. I googled "Roger Dean Avatar" and while many reviewers echo my sentiments, Cameron has been entirely silent on the subject. I just looked at the entire on-screen-credit-list at imdb.com and Dean's name is nowhere, not even the special thanks list. Just another example of the typical Cameron business ethic.

Other than that I can't wait to see it . . .

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    And let me get this straight, the lead character has lost his legs in battle and you see him in a wheel chair and they tell him he can walk again by putting his consciousness in this alien body they made from alien DNA. Well if they can do that, why can't they just cook up some new human legs for him from his own DNA? What an incredibly STUPID idea on such a basic, fundamental level! Typical, half-baked Cameron BS. I can hear the back room talk: "We'll just dazzle 'em with shiny stuff and they'll forget that it doesn't make any sense."
    Isn't that true of many hollywood flicks though? This use of stupid and unbelievable premises is not unique. Hubby and I have made a game of this when we rent movies. One of us will put up our hand and we'll pause the movie while we ask something like...but if he can walk on water, why does he need a lifejacket? (Sorry, I can't think of a specific example at the moment, although I know there's lots of them).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Isn't that true of many hollywood flicks though?
    Sure, but why does Cameron get a pass when these gratuitous flaws appear in every production he's involved with?

Most people are more forgiving about these things than I am, but I suppose that's part of why I don't like most blockbuster-type films.

nightflier
    Cameron may be a class-A jerk, but it won't stop millions of people from seeing it. It's almost as if people are clamoring for another Titanic-scale movie to hang their hopes on. Personally I only needed to see Titanic once, and probably would fall asleep the second time, but I still saw it. Same with Terminator, Abyss, and Aliens.

I suppose there are quite a few directors who are jerks (Verhoeven, Gibson, etc.), but people still go see their movies. Anyhow, who ever said that geniuses are fun folks to hang out with? As most of you know, I do draw the line somewhere (Tarentino), but as long as the subject is not too revolting, I'll give it a look-see. With Avatar, I'm just curious to see what all the hoopla's about. I probably won't see a fascinating LOTR-like story line with in-depth Babel-like character development, but I'm not really expecting it - just like I didn't expect it when I saw any of his other movies, nor did I expect it with Batman, Hancock, or just about anything Bruce Willis has been in.

Now I also draw the line at morbid stupidity, the kind of rehash that Disney puts out every half year. I mean Grimm and Andersen would be spinning in their graves if they saw how their stories were pared-down to the lowest common denominator, were over-sexualized, and infused with a level of unrealistic action and effects that completely guts the tales from any historic or philosophic message. Vampire movies are also up there with the same tired story line every time, although I am still guilty of seeing a few. But at least with Cameron, I'm fairly safe to know that there will at least be a little more to stimulate my gray matter than the rest of the over hyped and CGI'ed Hollywood drivel that passes for entertainment these days (think Transformers and GI Joe)

Isn't that true of many hollywood flicks though? This use of stupid and unbelievable premises is not unique. Hubby and I have made a game of this when we rent movies. One of us will put up our hand and we'll pause the movie while we ask something like...but if he can walk on water, why does he need a lifejacket? (Sorry, I can't think of a specific example at the moment, although I know there's lots of them).
    Here's a basic one. "If there is no air in space, how come I can hear that spaceship fly by?" Pick a Sci-fi movie.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

nightflier
    That's for the benefit of the viewers only, lol.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I thought this was going to be about the bloodshot eyeball.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Anyhow, who ever said that geniuses are fun folks to hang out with?
    That's so true! I can't tell you how many people I've had tell me that I'm just no fun to hang out with.

nightflier
    As a former victim of some of your genius mania, I cannot disagree.

That's so true! I can't tell you how many people I've had tell me that I'm just no fun to hang out with.
    Ba-dum-bump.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cameron may be a class-A jerk, but it won't stop millions of people from seeing it. It's almost as if people are clamoring for another Titanic-scale movie to hang their hopes on.
    No argument from me. People will flock to it because they are told to. Allow me the ability to dream that people would be smarter. (I'll admit, I'm sure I'll see it someday on cable or netflix)

I suppose there are quite a few directors who are jerks (Verhoeven, Gibson, etc.), but people still go see their movies.
    There are different levels of jerkitude. Stanley Kubick gave Shelley Duvall a nervous breakdown during The Shining to get that freaked out 3rd act from her. Cameron almost allowed cast and crew members to die and insisted filming continue, even with most of the crew walking off the set. There's a big difference between making Shelley Duvall cry and being cavalier with people's lives, right? Cameron is a menace.

But at least with Cameron, I'm fairly safe to know that there will at least be a little more to stimulate my gray matter than the rest of the over hyped and CGI'ed Hollywood drivel that passes for entertainment these days (think Transformers and GI Joe)
    You know, it's just really sad that the most intellectually stimulating movie we can see is a Jim Cameron movie. Paying to see it on first run sends the message to Hollywood that this is what you want to see. Vote with your wallet. Stay home and rent Idiocracy instead.

nightflier

No argument from me

You know, it's just really sad that the most intellectually stimulating movie we can see is a Jim Cameron movie.
    And I will not be seeing it...

...this weekend. But I can't really come back to work in January w/o having seen it. Besides, someone is sure to spoil the plot (if there is one) for me by that time.

Something I always do it check out a flick at Metacritic. After all why should I trust a few wiseguys like around here when I can go instead and get the rating a couple of dozen over-paid professional critics.

Anyway, not many review in so far on Avatar, but as at this moment its got 89/100. Terminator, e.g, got 84. Their server broke so I couldn't get Alien, which, just a bug flick or not, was great; (contrast Star Ship Troopers which was pure trash).

I guess Troy would say there's no accouting for these things. Me too, I guess, when something as silly and puerile as Ratatouille gets a Metacritic score of 96.

nightflier
    Hey, Starship Troopers was pretty funny and Rat. wasn't so bad either. Canadian movie critics - who let them in here?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I rarely go to the theatre. My wife occasionally. Of course, I am first in line for any big budget kung fu. Ninja Assassin, you know it!! Basically I am saying that I hardly have my finger on the pulse of cinema.

The thing is Troy, I just can't see this problem being unique to James Cameron. Entertainment is possibly the toughest biz to make it in. NO ONE makes it by being a consomate nice guy. Maybe he should lighten up on the artists a bit, but I'm sure there's a long line of jerks just like him. From what I can tell, Hollywood is predicated on jerkiness.

Troy, come over to the Kung Fu side. The water's warm and we're all smoking cigars!!

Hey, Starship Troopers was pretty funny ...
    That's the problem: it wasn't supposed to be funny.

Yeah I hear he's not the easiest guy to work with. His Terminators & Alien 2 are part of my favourite films though

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    That's the problem: it wasn't supposed to be funny.
    Actually it WAS supposed to be funny.

From Wikipedia:
    The film included visual allusions to propaganda films, such as Why We Fight, Triumph of the Will, The Battleship Potemkin, and wartime news broadcasts. However, this satire was embedded in slickly produced action sequences with clever special effects.
    In the DVD audio commentary for the film, director Paul Verhoeven states unambiguously that the movie's message is "War makes fascists of us all", and that he sees the movie as a satire of American militarism. (The dress uniforms bear a distinct resemblance to those worn by members of the Third Reich.) On the same commentary, screenwriter Ed Neumeier (who had previously worked with Verhoeven on RoboCop) broadly concurs, although he sees the satire as applying to the whole of human history, rather than solely to the United States. Since the filmmakers did not make these statements at the time of the film's release, viewers have interpreted it variously: as a satire, as a celebration of fascism, or as a simple action film.

Watch it again as a comedy and you'll see that it's really a tart little movie.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I thought this was going to be about the bloodshot eyeball.[/QUOTE]

Me too.

Originally Posted by nightflier
    Anyhow, who ever said that geniuses are fun folks to hang out with?

Quote Originally Posted by FallGirl
    I don't know about that. I found you to be fun...lot's of fun...almost mindnumbingly so
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Right, mostly satire, the actors were encouraged to act deathly serious, while references to WW2 propaganda films and wartime radio and movie news serials were made every act.

Amazing how two of Verhoven's movies (Robocop and Starship Troopers) turned out to be rather prophetic regarding their depictions of future culture...well, both amazing and sad that they did.

As for Avatar, I have no idea why I'm supposed to know what this story is...if someone had pitched me the name avatar months ago I mighta said it was the name of some sort of Japanese Anime'. Was this this one of those "graphic novels" (comic books) or is it just a screenplay?

*anime - french word meaning: "I'm an adult watching cartoons instead of dating"
    Last edited by 3LB; 12-15-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

From Wikipedia:
    The film included visual allusions to propaganda films, such as Why We Fight, Triumph of the Will, The Battleship Potemkin, and wartime news broadcasts. However, this satire was embedded in slickly produced action sequences with clever special effects.
    In the DVD audio commentary for the film, director Paul Verhoeven states unambiguously that the movie's message is "War makes fascists of us all", and that he sees the movie as a satire of American militarism. (The dress uniforms bear a distinct resemblance to those worn by members of the Third Reich.) On the same commentary, screenwriter Ed Neumeier (who had previously worked with Verhoeven on RoboCop) broadly concurs, although he sees the satire as applying to the whole of human history, rather than solely to the United States. Since the filmmakers did not make these statements at the time of the film's release, viewers have interpreted it variously: as a satire, as a celebration of fascism, or as a simple action film.

Watch it again as a comedy and you'll see that it's really a tart little movie.
    Ah! Thanks for that education, Troy.

Not that all those "tributes" eluded me, but such allusions don't necessarily make a film funny, nor is satire invariably funny, and "funny" is what we were talking about in this thread. In any case the film was a flop overall other than that it did capture Heinlein's own crypto-fascist tendancies.

"War makes fascists of us all." Or is it simply that fascists make war?

Critics in general should take this under advisal: because a work have a lot of erudite allusions and tributes to the preceding literature doesn't make it great, (never mind funny).
    Last edited by Feanor; 12-16-2009 at 12:13 PM.

You guys miss the point. Many of todays movies are geared to the Teen and Twenty Something crowd, most of who don't really care about a movie that makes some social comment or makes them think. This age group just wants entertainment. I tend to lump movies into 2 categories 1)mindless entertainment-Star Trek, Avatar etc.
    2) movies that get me involved in the story and make me think

Movies are just a form of fantasy entertainment where anything goes. Its always been that way dating back to silent movies.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    You guys miss the point. Many of todays movies are geared to the Teen and Twenty Something crowd, most of who don't really care about a movie that makes some social comment or makes them think. This age group just wants entertainment. I tend to lump movies into 2 categories 1)mindless entertainment-Star Trek, Avatar etc.
    2) movies that get me involved in the story and make me think

Movies are just a form of fantasy entertainment where anything goes. Its always been that way dating back to silent movies.
    I want to be entertained first and foremost. If a film makes me think, so much the better -- usually: but there are a few things I'd rather not think about.

One thing I'd rather not think about is the cleverness of the script writers and director. Another is literary or cinematic satire, (as distinct from political, social, etc. satire). I leave these things to the professional critics and scholars of the discipline.

nightflier

When two tribes go to war....

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Then there are documentaries like The Inconvenient Truth, Food Inc. and Taxi to the Dark Side. Where do they fall?

Feanor,
    Quite simply, fascists make war. It is the one activity that most closely matches their beliefs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information