Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Yeah, that guy's reviews are hilarious. If you have the time, watch his 7 part review of the Star Wars prequels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Where did the youtube embed feature go?

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Well my wife and I felt compelled to finally see this today. Thankfully we saw it in 3D.
    I am sure I am raining on a lot of people's parade but if I was to sum this movie up it would be;

Dances With Wolves+Ewoks+Revenge of an Inconvienient Truth = Avatar

Visually stunning and great soundwork but an obvious and unoriginal story. I hope it does well in the technical categories tonight but it should not be "Best Picture".

Just my 2 cents....
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Well my wife and I felt compelled to finally see this today. Thankfully we saw it in 3D.
    I am sure I am raining on a lot of people's parade but if I was to sum this movie up it would be;

Visually stunning and great soundwork but an obvious and unoriginal story. I hope it does well in the technical categories tonight but it should not be "Best Picture".

Just my 2 cents....
    Nah, no rain here. Nobody can overwrite my own personal opinion of anything based on entertainment. That is a to each his own area.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Welp....

Just my 2 cents....
    Seems like the Academy listened to you afterall there Keed. Congrats.

Worf

Just my 2 cents....
    Well, looks like the Academy agreed with you. No real argument from me either.

I haven't seen Hurt Locker yet so I have no personal opinion on that. Funny thing, though, about Hurt Locker is that while the consensus among professional critics has been pretty much, "terrific", the rection among the viewing public has been more like, "not bad".

Dances With Wolves+Ewoks+Revenge of an Inconvienient Truth + FernGully = Avatar. Yeah true, but I enjoyed it anyway since I go to flicks for passive entertainment not to stoke my effete-snob critic hauteur.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Maybe to you. While Avatar is quite advanced over past motion capture characters, there is still no mistaking that they are animated. And they have features that are exaggerated. Cartoonish? That's just semantics. Do they have to appear cartoonish (IE: like Elmer Fudd) for the animation to be considered a cartoon? I say no. Animation=Cartoon.

Motion capture=animation. Period. Animated characters have never been eligible for acting oscar® contention.

Yes, MC introduces an interesting conundrum. I have no idea how you determine where the line is for an actor getting a nomination if the character they portray is animated.

Well, I'm gonna disagree, there isn't a single acting performance in Avatar (animated or otherwise) that deserves a nomination, so we don't have to worry about it. Yet.

I suspect most actors don't like the idea of animated characters getting oscar® noms, whether they are MC or not.

I also think that your " you don't piss off your #1 money maker." comment, as it applies to acting nominations doesn't hold water. While this is true for most of the other major oscar® categories, the acting oscars® usually have nothing to do with box office. A look at nominations of the past will bear this out.

And to anyone that finds the writing in Avatar to be good, I direct you to this hilarious gem I found on the internets:

Boy am I glad to find this...i tried to explain this movie to my wife (didn't see the movie) and said basically the whole Cowboy -- Indian story and this thread just proves what i was trying to say...what a joke. We were so disappointed in this movie because the lack of originality.
    Could care less if i see it again. A remake sure, but don't pitch it as something new.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I too finally caved in and saw Avatar. The thing is the funny serial critic is correct on a lot of points painting the military out to be dunderhead unfeeling neanderthals who live to kill. On the other hand the main character was one of those members of the military who was the pivotal character to create change. Yes it's Dances With Wolves with Pocahontas in space. Or Aliens meets Pocahontas because the military in Aliens was as goofy as Avatar. Although Aliens IMO is a much better movie than Avatar because of better human drama.

And yes the acting was mostly two dimensional and no it's not a great film. But it is a good film. I mean ripping off Dances with Wolves or pocahontas isn't exactly a horrible idea. These stories of nature versus man's disregard for nature is one of the main ideas today and throw in a huge amount of Aristotlean spectacle and you'll have a solidly entertaining film. The movie is something like 2 hours and 40 minutes and the visuals and story carried me through their ride.

It's not best picture material - nor should it have been nominated in my opinion - but it was entertaining and it did seem to transport me to another world like few films of this type do. I just wish they would make the bad guys a lot more rounded. Sure they can be evil greedy monsters but perhaps not so on the nose about it. Cameron has to place the human drama above the special effects - he did it with the original Terminator - perhaps because of a small budget. With the large budget the human story is thinner and two dimensional so all you have is pretty pictures. This is why Jaws was so successful - the main special effects piece was the shark but the human drama of the three men on the boat is what made it a masterpiece and still holds up to this day. Avatar's story just isn't that good and once the special effects are surpassed - there will be little there to really admire.

I have not seen Hurt Locker - but Inglorious Basterds IMO is a much better film than Avatar.

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjackfrenkobs
    Clavamox is stable in the presence of gastric acid and is not significantly influenced by gastric or intestinal contents. The 2 components are rapidly absorbed resulting in amoxicillin and clavulanic acid concentrations in clavamox birds, urine, and tissues similar to those produced when each is administered alone. Amoxicillin and clavulanic acid diffuse readily into most body tissues and fluids with the exception of brain and spinal fluid, which amoxicillin penetrates adequately when meninges are inflamed. Most of the amoxicillin is clavamox dog contraindications excreted unchanged in the urine. Clavulanic acid’s penetration into spinal fluid is unknown at this time. Approximately 15% of the administered dose of clavulanic acid is excreted in the urine within the first 6 hours. Clavamox combines the cat antibiotics clavamox no perscription distinctive properties of a broad-spectrum antibiotic and a ?-lactamase inhibitor to effectively extend the antibacterial spectrum of amoxicillin to include ?-lactamaseproducing as well as non-?-lactamase-producing aerobic and anaerobic organisms. The susceptibility of these organisms has also been demonstrated in ampicillin amoxicillin penicillin, vivo studies. Studies have demonstrated that both aerobic and anaerobic flora are isolated from gingival cultures of dogs with clinical evidence of peridontal disease. Both gram-positive and gram-negative aerobic and Clavamox, isolates indicate sensitivity to amoxicillin/ clavulanic acid during antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
    It's about time someone else saw the blatant way Cameron was discussing the issues of Clavamox through the plight of the N'avi! I knew someone else would see the similarities between the way clavulanic acid is excreted in the urine within the first 6 hours and how Jake Sully would connect to Neytiri.

Finally!! Someone gets it!!
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    It's about time someone else saw the blatant way Cameron was discussing the issues of Clavamox through the plight of the N'avi! I knew someone else would see the similarities between the way clavulanic acid is excreted in the urine within the first 6 hours and how Jake Sully would connect to Neytiri.

Finally!! Someone gets it!!
    WTF is this all about, and why does it matter?

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    in all seriousness i would guess it's a pure spam post. i was just having fun.
    /create

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    in all seriousness i would guess it's a pure spam post. i was just having fun.
    I got that part. Keep up the good work KAM. It's great to see you around lately.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    My pet cat was getting Clavamox after I brought her home from the vet. Pet antibiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry old liberal
    See that little triangle with the exclamation point in it Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    My pet cat was getting Clavamox after I brought her home from the vet. Pet antibiotic.

See that little triangle with the exclamation point in it Bill?
    Hummmm ...

Kam
    ok now the clavamox relation to the n'avis plight and the jack sully connection i thought was pretty blatantly obvious. but stromectal? please, were we watching the same movie?

i think you might be confusing clash of the titans, seeing as the same actor was in both movies, as stromectal is far more relevant to clash of the titans than it is avatar. seriously, this is rediculous. stromectal and avatar. hahahaha. that's just ludicrous. now who wants to talk about stromectal and clash of the titans? there is an amazing discussion if i ever heard of one.
    /create

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information