THC no THD!

Recommendations for CD/DVD Player...

I have decided to upgrade my system with a nice single drawer CD player but maybe an integrated CD/DVD player as long as it can play SACD and DVD-Audio formats. I have allocated $1000 for this project. I will still use my Sony 300 disc changer but would like the ability to play all the newer formats. My old DVD player could stand to be updated but if there is sound degradation from using an integrated player, then I probably don't want it. The most important aspect after handling all the requested formats is the sound quality then aesthetics comes in a close third. One question: does having an "all-in-one" player not dedicated to any 1 particular format present any shortcomings in sound quality? This troubles me, cause I just don't know. Does anyone have experience with integrated units in the $1000 range and /or could you make some recommendations for one? NAD and Meridian come to mind, but I have yet to find pricing for any of the Meridian players, so I'm thinking they are probably out of my range. However I am completely open to any brand.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

$1000 eh? Personally I'd get the Marantz DV-6400 and use the leftover $500 to buy SACD/DVD-A's!

How about the Yamaha DVD-2300MK2 ?

If that's the Yahama that's reviewed in the most recent Sound & Vision (they reviewed the $450 model) it offers no sort of bass management.

Forum Regular
    How about the Denon DVD-2910, $679? Or you can find a good deal on the older 2900, they were going for $1000 but are now on sale for $600.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

All DVD players can also play CD's

Quote Originally Posted by J*E*Cole
    I have decided to upgrade my system with a nice single drawer CD player but maybe an integrated CD/DVD player as long as it can play SACD and DVD-Audio formats. I have allocated $1000 for this project. I will still use my Sony 300 disc changer but would like the ability to play all the newer formats. My old DVD player could stand to be updated but if there is sound degradation from using an integrated player, then I probably don't want it. The most important aspect after handling all the requested formats is the sound quality then aesthetics comes in a close third. One question: does having an "all-in-one" player not dedicated to any 1 particular format present any shortcomings in sound quality? This troubles me, cause I just don't know. Does anyone have experience with integrated units in the $1000 range and /or could you make some recommendations for one? NAD and Meridian come to mind, but I have yet to find pricing for any of the Meridian players, so I'm thinking they are probably out of my range. However I am completely open to any brand.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
    And most of the DVD players in your price range can play multiple formats as well.

Sound quality at this level is probably limited by your system, and not the player.

Arcam makes a line of DVD players, notably the FMJ DV27 that have thier outstanding ring DAC for the audio output. You can occasionally see one for sale used on Audiogon.com in your price range. They list at about 3k new.

For state-of-the-art video processing it's going to be hard to beat the Denon DVD-5900. With it's DVI output, and 1080i upconversion it's about as close to HD-DVD as it's going to get until the new HD-DVD tech comes out in a few years.

Here's on one Ebay that's available right now;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...733741407&rd=1
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 11-28-2004 at 07:44 AM.

THC no THD!
    Thanks to all for some very good ideas and info. I have begun the research and should be making the purchase soon.

Thread Information