Forum Regular

Opinions of NAD 5000 vs. new player

I have come across a used NAD 5000 CD player. Built in 1990. Anyone care to share their opinion of this unit and rough value. I am looking to hook this up to a pair of ASL block amps, therefore I need a CD player with a volume control (and preferrrably remote control). I wish to spend no more than $500. I can get this unit for about $150. I have borrowed it and it sounds pretty good, although I'm not sure about a 15 year old unit. Should I go with this or be thinking about spending closer to $500? What would you recommend?

Forum Regular
    The state-of-the-art DAC's of that vintage are nowhere near as good as the cheapest stuff today. I would say it's a waste of time. You are better off spending $350 on a used preamp and $150 on a CDP.

Forum Regular
    People are often undivided! I have a 15 year old Meridian DAC and a 2 year old Marantz C17 Mk2 KI Signiture model. The Marantz CD player retails for roughly 1200 quid - and is fairly high-end.

Now, my system is fairly modest at this stage and one cannot pick up differences easily. Some people have advised me to stick to the Marantz, as even cheaper stuff would beat the Meridian DAC - while others have said KEEP the Meridian, as it's still decent equipment to listen too ...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I had the marantz cd 17 and was not impressed. I think you have to not worry about price and the whens things were buiklt but how good is it.

NAD is and never was a truly great maker (a marginal step up from the usual suspects but not great) so buying a 15 year old cd player for $150.00 probably is not that wise, and probably not better than a Sony 300 disc mega changer) -- a Wadia or a Theta is something else.

CD player differences are important but not necessarily big and require a certain level of resolution -- and all of it is unfortunately subjective. If the ASL amps are the Wave 8's then I would probably buy a used preamp and a normal cd player. The CD players with volume controls are STILL preamps but generally really really horrible preamps and I don't understand the point. Originally the volume control units were to control headphones and also came with a heaphone output.

Plus according to consumer reports on average CD players last 7 years. You're already at 15 years for the NAD -- and if something goes wrong with it you may as well chuck it in the garbage because NAD may not have replacement parts for it and it would probably cost $300.00 to repair and ship.

I would never buy a cd player used - not worth the risk IMO.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Lightbulb Buy The Nad!!

A good transport is still very expensive. The 5000 is an excellent choice for CD Transport. Use the digital out when you want to reference a new and "better" DAC. look at it as a cheap and excellent cd transport and rather than an expensive old CD player. I have owned several. The deck is excellent for either purpose. Also, there as several NAD 1st generation DVD players that make better CD players. They use a Burr Brown DAC and "audiophile grade" Burr Brown FET output amplifier for the stereo analogue output.

Forum Regular

Nad 5000

That NAD 5000 was a highly regarded player for sound and it will probably beat modern cheaper players whilst its laser still has life . The laser is the usual risk one takes with old CD players , so inquire wheter the NAD service centre in your country can replace it , and cost of such , before you buy . As you tried it , evreything else works , hence unless it looks like it has been roughly handled , it is probably worth the risk at only $150- . The 5000 and the later , expensive Silver Series model are the only older NADs I'd consider buying . Generally I wouldn't buy an old CD player unless it was either of those or a Wadia ; Theta ; or a high-end Marantz model . If all seems OK after you enquire about laser replacement , then consider buying a Pre-amp . best wishes , Chris .
    Last edited by 2bluechris; 01-07-2006 at 01:05 AM. Reason: add missing phrase

Thread Information