Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Every incremental increase in fidelity adds up to make your system sound better.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Every incremental increase in fidelity adds up to make your system sound better.
    Agreed.... It's why the upgrade cycle is never ending....

Though once you upgrade one component, you realize that to get the best out of it, you need upgrade the other components in your system....

The tough part is ensuring that upgrades are really upgrades (and not just changes) & I guess knowing when to stop and just enjoy the music....

Ajani
    Since the Marantz SA15S1 is being mentioned quite a bit in this thread, I should point out that the 15S2 should be released soon.... It was actually up on Marantz's US website for about a day, before they took it down (presumably they've decided to make changes to it)... but one thing I did notice at the time was that it had an Optical input.... so assuming, the final model retains the optical input, then it will offer at least one real advantage over the 8003/8001... I think they should add a coaxial and USB input as well to the final model....

Forum Regular
    Blackraven, you have had the 8003 presumably for a few weeks now.. How is it sounding now? I mean has it fully broken in yet? Any final thoughts on the sound?

Tony, I returned it after 5 days as it was on loan to me from the store.
    As far as the sound was concerned, it had the typical Marantz warmth with a prominent midrange. Treble was laid back, a little too much for my tastes. Bass was deep and fairly tight. If your looking for a more analog sound this would be a way to do it. SACD sound was better than STD CD play but it was not dramatically different then my very well mastered XRCD24's.

Overall the 8003 is a very good CDP but for $1k, I think I would go with an external DAC unless you absolutely have to have SACD playback. But a good DAC can sound almost as good if not as good with a well recorded STD Cd from my experience.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    for $1k, I think I would go with an external DAC unless you absolutely have to have SACD playback.
    Seconded!

Forum Regular
    Thats great advice!! Exactly, at $1k you would want to hear something special (at least i would).. I'm not wanting SACD playback. What external DAC'S are we talking about? What would be a good DAC for just under a $1k? I'm using the CD5001, am quite happy with the sound, but would like to hear something more improved..

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by tony340
    Thats great advice!! Exactly, at $1k you would want to hear something special (at least i would).. I'm not wanting SACD playback. What external DAC'S are we talking about? What would be a good DAC for just under a $1k? I'm using the CD5001, am quite happy with the sound, but would like to hear something more improved..
    I guess my recommendation shouldn't come as a surprise (if you look at my signature):

Benchmark DAC1 $995.... I think it would work very nicely with your Marantz CD5001 as transport (that was the last CD Player I owned before totally switching to Media Servers)...

Another option (which I haven't tried) is the PS Audio Digital Link iii, also $995...

Feature wise the difference between the 2 DACS are:

PS Audio has a USB input (you'd have to upgrade to the Benchmark DAC1 USB to get one - $1295)...

Benchmark has dual headphone outputs (which I'm making great use of right now).

Benchmark also has volume control for all its outputs... so it can be used as an excellent preamplifier for digital sources...

Forum Regular
    Thanks.. Also btw, any other worthy brands that would come close to the benchmark? Any that can be had for around 600-700? cheers

Ajani
    Thanks.. Also btw, any other worthy brands that would come close to the benchmark? Any that can be had for around 600-700? cheers
    You can usually find the Benchmark and the PS Audio used on Audiogon for about $700...

In terms of cheaper DACs, the ones I hear good things about (but have never tried) are:

Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 $600
    Cambridge Audio DACMagic $400
    Musical Fidelity V-DAC $300

I considered all of those options, before deciding on the Benchmark... In the end I chose having the peace of mind of knowing that the Benchmark is legitimately regarded as a High End source... with the others, I can't tell from the reviews just how much of an improvement (if any) they'd give over a Squeezebox Classic or Marantz CD5001....

But if you can try them from a store with a good return policy, then I'd say go ahead....

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani

Benchmark also has volume control for all its outputs... so it can be used as an excellent preamplifier for digital sources...
    Is that remote-controlled?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Is that remote-controlled?
    I wish it was....

Suspended
    www.amusicdirect.com is running a sale on the PS Audio DAC at $695.00 and they do have a 30 return.

Ajani
    It's a demo item, but at $700, with a 30 return policy, it might be the way to go:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/81787

Forum Regular
    Any idea whether they ship to my part of the world? I live in Singapore

Ajani
    Any idea whether they ship to my part of the world? I live in Singapore
    They ship worldwide... but only if you don't have a local dealer in your region... If you have a local dealer then they'll cancel your order and send you an e-mail listing your local dealers...

Forum Regular
    Thanks.. Before that, would you be able to tell me whether the DAC's such as the Benchmark or PS Audio will give a big difference in sound when connected to my 5001? I mean is it worth the investment, cos i have no experience with DAC's..

Suspended
    I think you would notice a difference. Spending more money is not always going to help but on the other hand the 5001, be it a good player for the money, cost around $300.00 for the entire player, PS Audio's DAC retails at $999.00 for just the D to A converter.

Forum Regular
    Exactly. I was considering the same factor.. Whether the DACMAGIC or the V-DAC would give me the difference is the question.. We do not have good 30 day return policies here, so i would basically have to gamble $400 to check it out!!

Ajani
    Thanks.. Before that, would you be able to tell me whether the DAC's such as the Benchmark or PS Audio will give a big difference in sound when connected to my 5001? I mean is it worth the investment, cos i have no experience with DAC's..
    What speakers and amp do you have? A good source is always... ummm... good to have... but you might find the upgrade a little disappointing if the rest of your system is not up to par... The Marantz is a very good CD player for the money, so depending on your amp and speakers, your money might be better spent upgrading one of those items before getting a PS Audio or Benchmark DAC...

Ajani
    Exactly. I was considering the same factor.. Whether the DACMAGIC or the V-DAC would give me the difference is the question.. We do not have good 30 day return policies here, so i would basically have to gamble $400 to check it out!!
    Looks like you're in the same boat, I was in... I live in the Caribbean, so there are no 30 day returns available locally & even if I bought from a US store with a good return policy, I'd have to pay shipping on the return item (plus figure out how to get my customs and duties charges refunded from the government - yeah, that's gonna happen)...

So in the end, I opted for the Benchmark, instead of risking $300 - $400 on the Musical Fidelity or Cambridge Audio...

Forum Regular
    I currently am using Paradigm Reference Studio 20 speakers with Rotel RA-1062 amp..

Ajani
    I currently am using Paradigm Reference Studio 20 speakers with Rotel RA-1062 amp..
    Cool... With that setup, I think a new DAC should give you a noticeable improvement...

Interestingly, your setup sounds similar to the one I used to have:

Marantz CD5001 CD
    Rotel RC1070 Pre
    Rotel RB1080 Power
    Mission V63 Towers

Forum Regular
    Thanks Ajani.. Well i will definitely look into the Benchmark since you are happy with it, and then the PS Audio as well. I wish someone could give some insight on the MF or the Cambrdge!!

Tony, dont skimp on the DAC. I'm sure the Cambridge and M are fine but they will not be in the same class as the Benchmark or PS audio. If your looking for the biggest improvement in sound then spend the extra money. The PS Audio Digital Link III has a USB port and is supposed to have a warmer sound and sells here in the U.S. for $1k. The benchmark sells for the same price. Both would be a big improvement in sound. The Cambridge and MF would be an improvement as well.

Another DAC to consider is the Van Alstine insight DAC for $899. Its well worth the money and it blew my Cambridge 840c CDP out of the water. It's a basic DAC with no frills but it has pristine sound with deep bass and leans to the warmer side slightly as all of VA's gear does. I auditioned it in my home and it was excellent. I ended up buying his more expensive Tube hybrid DAC. Give Frank Van Alstine an email and see if he would ship it to you. www.avahifi.com
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP