Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    Help In Choosing a Single Disc DVD Player

    What might be the single "best" choice of a simple single disc DVD player to match my B&K AVR 202/B&W DM6's/basic 36 inch TV? I've got an old Toshiba that I think needs replacing and may be my system's weak link. I'd like to spend as much as it takes, but not more than necessary. Minimum features is preferred.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6
    So far, the Rotel RDV-1060 is in first place.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    What makes that player $900 better than a $99 Panasonic/Pioneer/Sony/Toshiba? Just the fact that it costs $800 more? You'll never see a difference.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Morristown, NJ
    Posts
    237
    What are you looking to get out of the upgrade? What is lacking with your current player?

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    What makes that player $900 better than a $99 Panasonic/Pioneer/Sony/Toshiba? Just the fact that it costs $800 more? You'll never see a difference.
    Have you ever seen a high priced DVD player? The higher priced units often yield a much better picture. This is not to say that every high priced unit is good and that every affordable player is junk. There are some good cheap ones, and some bad expensive ones, but for you to say that you'll never see a difference is plainly absurd.

    The only concession that I will make is that the difference in sound quality may not be as "night and day" as the picture. The new Panasonic 3960 (or some model number close to that) sells for about $120 Cdn at Walmart. It's got 24/192 DACs and the new Crystal decoding chip. You can't get much better in terms of sound decoding quality for that price.

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23

    Just curious...

    Quote Originally Posted by magictooth
    The only concession that I will make is that the difference in sound quality may not be as "night and day" as the picture. The new Panasonic 3960 (or some model number close to that) sells for about $120 Cdn at Walmart. It's got 24/192 DACs and the new Crystal decoding chip. You can't get much better in terms of sound decoding quality for that price.
    How's the CD playback quality on this unit?

    Peace!

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Poss
    How's the CD playback quality on this unit?

    Peace!
    Dunno. Don't have the unit, but it wouldn't be that tough to go and buy the unit and give it try. If you don't like it just return it to Walmart. I imagine that it would be quite good, though.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    [QUOTE=magictooth]Have you ever seen a high priced DVD player?

    QUOTE]

    Yup. Didn't take long to realize that a good $250 progressive scan player did just as good, if not better, than players that cost over $1000. Plus if you get a $250 player now (or better yet, a $120 player) you can replace it next year when the new models come out that has more features. You gonna do that with a $1000 player?

    I know if I would have bought a $1000 player 2 years ago I'd be kicking myself because it didn't support things like DTS, DVD-Audio, SACD, DVD-R, DVD+R and it only holds one disc at a time. Heck, I'd feel downright foolish in fact.

    In fact, a buddy of mine bought a $600 Denon DVD player a number of years back. I opted for a 5 disc Panasonic for $179, the CV-51. His Denon worked great until he discovered the world of burning DVD's and CD's. Ooops, it won't play burned media. Then to top it off, it burned up after 2 years. I dug it out of the trash and have it on my shelf right now. There's schrapnel damage inside where something blew apart, meanwhile my Panasonic is still going strong to this day. I just have to laugh.

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    387
    your paying for the name mostly. maybe a slight picture increase but nothing you will notice big time on a standard tv.

    but say you bought a 10 000 pioneer elite tv. then i might say spend more money on a dvd player that can keep par with it.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    [QUOTE=N. Abstentia]
    Quote Originally Posted by magictooth
    Have you ever seen a high priced DVD player?

    QUOTE]

    Yup. Didn't take long to realize that a good $250 progressive scan player did just as good, if not better, than players that cost over $1000. Plus if you get a $250 player now (or better yet, a $120 player) you can replace it next year when the new models come out that has more features. You gonna do that with a $1000 player?

    I know if I would have bought a $1000 player 2 years ago I'd be kicking myself because it didn't support things like DTS, DVD-Audio, SACD, DVD-R, DVD+R and it only holds one disc at a time. Heck, I'd feel downright foolish in fact.

    In fact, a buddy of mine bought a $600 Denon DVD player a number of years back. I opted for a 5 disc Panasonic for $179, the CV-51. His Denon worked great until he discovered the world of burning DVD's and CD's. Ooops, it won't play burned media. Then to top it off, it burned up after 2 years. I dug it out of the trash and have it on my shelf right now. There's schrapnel damage inside where something blew apart, meanwhile my Panasonic is still going strong to this day. I just have to laugh.
    Which models did you audition? On what monitor was it watched? Did you watch the interlaced signal on a progressive TV/projector or did you just watch the progressive to progressive?

    My personal experience from watching a lot of different DVD players on different monitors in both interlaced and progressive is that there IS a big difference in cheap vs. good players depending on the player.

    A lot of people on these boards will also recommend always getting a progressive scan DVD player, but I strongly disagree with that because more often than not, my projector's internal deinterlacer will outperform by a large margin anything in your standard $250 DVD player. Please don't tell me that all deinterlacing chips are the same because they are not. Faroudja DCDi is better than the old Genesis chips that come with most $250 DVD players. You won't get a DCDi decoder for $250 unless it fell off the back of a pickup truck.

    My RDV-1 will play CDs of any variety and will play DVD-R as well. If you do the proper research, you should be able to get a machine that plays all the formats that you want it to play. That shouldn't be a concern. As for the burning out of the $600 Denon, what does that have to do with anything written here? Are you saying that all high priced machines will burn out well before your $179 machine?

    Anyways, my point is that you are really mistaken if you truly believe that a high end DVD player will give you exactly the same picture as your run of the mill $120 player. You either haven't seen any true high end DVD players or else you haven't seen them on a monitor that will do them justice.

    Also, I'm not suggesting that you go out and buy an expensive $3000+ machine new. Go used and you can get the unit for $1000. I bought my RDV-1 For $1038 including shipping. It was about 1.5 years old. I just recently bought the Classe DVD/CD-1 to do an A/B. It was $3500 new and I got it for $1275 shipped. I'll bet either of these units will DESTROY your CV-51 in a head to head on a good front projection unit.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by magictooth
    I'll bet either of these units will DESTROY your CV-51 in a head to head on a good front projection unit.
    Put your money where your mouth is. Ship it to me and I'll let you know what happens. I'll even pay for the shipping.

    Otherwise, you're done here. Nobody cares to hear from your elitist arse.

  12. #12
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    I couldn't get my old username/password to work so I'm now RepublicanMan. Thanks for the responses. I went with the Rotel RDV-1060 and should have it later in the week or next week. I let ya know if I wasted some dough.
    Thanks again.

  13. #13
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Put your money where your mouth is. Ship it to me and I'll let you know what happens. I'll even pay for the shipping.

    Otherwise, you're done here. Nobody cares to hear from your elitist arse.
    Here's the challenge to you. You put up the money and the shipping costs both ways + you agree to pay any customs/brokerage charges and I'll ship either unit to you. What that means is that you give me $1300 for the RDV-1 or $1500 for the Classe and I'll send either of them to you. You have to pay shipping back to me and I'll send you your money back less the shipping charges that I originally paid and also less any brokerage charges that also may be incurred. The extra money over and above what I paid is just in case you really like the unit and decide to keep it. The prices are still well below audiogon blue book so you're still getting a really good deal if you want to keep either unit.

    And please, I'm not being elitist, I'm being a realist. If you have no inkling of what a good DVD player can do for video then it is you that needs to shut your hole and go do some serious watching.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMan
    I couldn't get my old username/password to work so I'm now RepublicanMan. Thanks for the responses. I went with the Rotel RDV-1060 and should have it later in the week or next week. I let ya know if I wasted some dough.
    Thanks again.
    Sounds like a good plan. If you're looking for redbook playback, you might like to try the Panasonic from Walmart and let us know how that went. I'm thinking of going and giving it a try as well.

  15. #15
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Put your money where your mouth is. Ship it to me and I'll let you know what happens. I'll even pay for the shipping.

    Otherwise, you're done here. Nobody cares to hear from your elitist arse.
    Oh, I forgot to ask. Do you have a good front projection unit to use either unit with? What model and screen type are you using? Does your room have ambient light control? In short, do you have a good video set up so that you can take advantage of a high end unit?

  16. #16
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by magictooth
    Here's the challenge to you. You put up the money and the shipping costs both ways + you agree to pay any customs/brokerage charges and I'll ship either unit to you. What that means is that you give me $1300 for the RDV-1 or $1500 for the Classe and I'll send either of them to you. You have to pay shipping back to me and I'll send you your money back less the shipping charges that I originally paid and also less any brokerage charges that also may be incurred. The extra money over and above what I paid is just in case you really like the unit and decide to keep it. The prices are still well below audiogon blue book so you're still getting a really good deal if you want to keep either unit.

    .
    I don't want to BUY them, I just want to see if they are truly as good as you think. Must not be, you are willing to get rid of them. So ship them on, and I will gladly pay for the shipping and customs. I'll include a check when I ship your unit back.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by magictooth
    Oh, I forgot to ask. Do you have a good front projection unit to use either unit with? What model and screen type are you using? Does your room have ambient light control? In short, do you have a good video set up so that you can take advantage of a high end unit?
    Does it really matter? If I buy a $1000 DVD player, it better darn well look good on whatever I hook it. Are you saying it WON'T? What a pile of crap it must be.

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Does it really matter? If I buy a $1000 DVD player, it better darn well look good on whatever I hook it. Are you saying it WON'T? What a pile of crap it must be.
    Of course it matters. This just shows how little you know about A/V material. Why don't you just go out and buy a cheap HTIB if, from what I'm reading is correct, you don't think that the system itself doesn't make any difference at all.

    What I am trying to tell you is that you will notice a difference on your crappy little 24" Sharp TV, but it won't be as noticeable as when you play it on a NEC HT-1000 with a 100" Firehawk screen.

  19. #19
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I don't want to BUY them, I just want to see if they are truly as good as you think. Must not be, you are willing to get rid of them. So ship them on, and I will gladly pay for the shipping and customs. I'll include a check when I ship your unit back.
    No, I'm not interested in selling them, but this is my security deposit that they will be returned to me. That is fair in all respects. I don't, however, think that you're willing to pony up the cash to see whether my unit will beat yours. What guarantee would I have otherwise that you'd send me 1) my unit back, 2) my shipping and brokerage, or 3) that I'd get my unit back in working order? If you had the sad and deluded notion that I'd be willing to send out my stuff to an online flamer with no surety, then you have me mistaken for some kind of online noob.

  20. #20
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Well you're the one trying to change my thinking. That's fine, but you're gonna have to prove it. No proof, no change. You can't convince me via an anonymous forum that there is a $1000 picture quality improvent in a DVD player. Sorry. I'll have to see it. And I haven't seen it yet.

  21. #21
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Can't we all just get along?

  22. #22
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMan
    Can't we all just get along?
    Sorry, I just can't tolerate these eliteist types. I disagree with the notion that you have to spend $1000 to get a good DVD player, especially when it will be obsolete in a couple of years.

  23. #23
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Sorry, I just can't tolerate these eliteist types. I disagree with the notion that you have to spend $1000 to get a good DVD player, especially when it will be obsolete in a couple of years.
    So when did I ever say that I was an elitist type? When did I say that you MUST HAVE a $1000 DVDp to watch a movie? I'm more of an all sorts type. I'm willing to give anything a try as long as I have guarantee that I can return it if I don't like it. I currently use Revy 12 ga. speaker wire and am happy with the $0.18/ft. performance. I have used a crappy DVDp like the Panasonic 1600 (about 5 years old), but now I use a more expensive machine.

    We can all get along, but the part that riles me up about your post(s) is that you assume way too much. It was YOU who said that there is NO NEED AT ALL for an expensive DVDp because there's no difference at all between a cheapo model and a 30 pound tank. I want to know how you came to that decision. Did you try any expensive models? Which models? Did you watch on a good monitor? What type? Or are you trying to justify not spending or being able to spend a little more money?

    You assume that you have reached the pinnacle of A/V perfection with your CV-51, and you post to others who read this thread that there is NO NEED AT ALL to get anything more than $250 without any susbstantiation. The idea that I'm trying to disseminate to Cory and whoever else is reading this thread is that there CAN BE a difference if you upgrade to a higher priced model. I'm not saying that you MUST have a high priced DVDp to watch movies, but that there isn't no difference when you watch 2 different DVDps.

  24. #24
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Well you're the one trying to change my thinking. That's fine, but you're gonna have to prove it. No proof, no change. You can't convince me via an anonymous forum that there is a $1000 picture quality improvent in a DVD player. Sorry. I'll have to see it. And I haven't seen it yet.
    A $1000 picture quality improvement is in the eye of the beholder. It might be worth it to me, but it might not be worth it to you. The point that I'm trying to get across is that when YOU SAY that there is NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL between a cheap and a good DVDp, that is completely absurd. There is a difference, but you may or may not feel like the price difference is justified. As for anonymous, the offer that I made still stands. You can click on the underlined "magictooth" on the left and email me. For obvious reasons I don't want to post my personal info in a public forum. The only thing that you need to do is pony up the cash to guarantee the safe return of my goods. Oh, and to keep an open mind when you watch. Maybe watch with the wife and see if she notices anything different.

  25. #25
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    112

    I understand Magictooth

    I got in the same argument a few threads down with some of these people. The problem is it is very obvious that they have no idea what they are talking about. I have little knowledge of video as I am a primarily 2 channel guy. I am using a CAL CL-20 in my 5.1 system and am still very happy with it. It does not do all the new formats but it sounds great and the picture quality is very good.

    I believe there are big diffferences in the different price points of gear.
    There is nothing elitist about enjoying the fruits of your labor and buying something nice. Audio is one of those things that very few know how much the expensive stuff cost. When you purchase a $5000 cd player it is much less pretentious than having 20 inch rims on your car. The rims are only for cosmetic reasons and to impress others.

    I have never bought a piece of audio gear for anyone other than myself. To say that it is elitist is a misunderstanding of the reason that nice things are bought by someone who can not afford them. I understand that we all come from different economic backgrounds. I am sick and tired of people getting upset with a person because of what they have. We work hard for our toys and no one should feel bad about having the meens to buy nice things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What makes one CD player perform better then the other?
    By gypsyhick in forum Digital Domain & Computer Audio
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 05:30 PM
  2. sacd/dvd-a multiple disc player recommendations
    By Jottle in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 12:31 PM
  3. Best CD player under $1000?
    By Arch in forum Digital Domain & Computer Audio
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 04:05 PM
  4. Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD Player
    By NJ_Richard in forum General Audio
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 06:16 AM
  5. Xbox vs. PS2 as a dvd player and game system
    By IRG in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 11:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •