Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New member post padding thread....

I have seen a few new members get frustrated over the post minimums we have here. These minimums are needed to keep out spammers. To help alleviate some of the frustration, I propose that we keep this thread going so that new members can come here and get in the posts they need to ask questions or post pictures.

What say our moderators?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    What is to prevent spammers from doing the same ? We were all newcomers at one time and dealt with the limitations until we had enough (quality) posts.

It stops the bots that don't make posts. Other spammers would just post nonsense in any thread that came along to get to 5. I've seen this type of thread on several other sights and thought we could use one. The mods are welcome to lock it if they disagree. My feelings won't be hurt.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    i think thats a good idea...especially bc i'm new and i have no idea where to post or what to say...

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    While we're talking...

I think that a great feature would be to allow a member to block posts from their view from members that aggravate them "AND" to block the the offending member from seeing their posts. This could have the potential of reducing flame wars. Of course, this would have no effect on what others would see.

It's just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant View Post
    While we're talking...

I think that a great feature would be to allow a member to block posts from their view from members that aggravate them "AND" to block the the offending member from seeing their posts. This could have the potential of reducing flame wars. Of course, this would have no effect on what others would see.

It's just a thought...
    You can go into your own profile and block your view of others' posts. I don't think that you can do the reverse. Then again, if you can't see ther reply, who cares?

Edit: Hmmm.... I couldn't find it. There used to be a button to click on to block posts from other posters, but I couldn't find it. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle when the new look came about. Or maybe I just couldn't find it?
    Mods?

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    You can go into your own profile and block your view of others' posts. I don't think that you can do the reverse. Then again, if you can't see ther reply, who cares?
    I saw that, but I was unsure how it worked. I guess that I was thinking of something a little more sophisticated.

For example, there are members that who generally make decent posts, but at times, and in certain threads go on the war path defaming another member. It would be nice to just block them just in that particular thread rather than block them globally (or both). Blocking it both ways would end the conflict and the other members wouldn't be subjected to the ongoing bickering.

An example how this would be helpful would be the wire arguments that caused such a stir many years ago. That way, the people who would have wanted to talk about wires could have a peaceful discussion without the thread being polluted with naysayers.

Like I said, it was just a thought.

Thanks anyway.

Forum Regular

What was wrong with having wire naysayers if you wanna learn something?

I remember the wire wars. I got tired of reading silly nonsense about wires so I avoided, & still avoid, wires.

I suppose one could, perhaps even should, permit people to indulge their delusions, but how does this help them to develop their hobby? They spend a lot of money on exotic wires and then one day they learn that it was a waste. Should they still like us?

Granted, we all waste money from time to time, but do we meet our obligations to help those with less knowlege if we sit quietly and let misinformation flow by? Some people do get hurt feelings but whose fault is that?

One of my favorites were those mini-telephone poles that hold your wires up off of the floor. I have forgotten the supposed benefit, but the real reason power lines usually hang up in the air is so that the power company can push about 20% more power through those uninsulated wires when compared to comparable insulated and buried power lines. Air cooling, and all that. But the buried insulated lines do look nicer, even though insulation has a finite life and that life is shorter at 14,400 volts than it is at 120 volts.

Forum Regular
    Hello, I am new here, and this is Post No 1

Forum Regular
    ...... and this is post no 2

Forum Regular
    ......No 3

Forum Regular
    Cough..... no 4

Forum Regular

and finally.... No 5!

RFT
    Forum Regular
    Hello,

I think this thread is a great idea. I am new here and I am not a spammer. But I am also pretty new to the audio world so I have a hard time posting on other threads since I don't have any knowledge to share (yet).

At any rate, I am about to purchase my first HT system and this site looks very promising to get sound advise (pun intended).

Thanks for keeping this forum alive . . .

Hat tip to the guy that thought of this thread.

copy pasta no good

Merry xmas

where is my profile pic?

Ok, I should be done here.

Still no chuffing pic though. Life is cruel.

pic check

need more posts to post pics

2 more

waiting 30 seconds

Hi and welcome to all you new folks. Just remember that the opinions here range from strict objectivist (meter reader) to pure subjectivist (what my golden ears hear) and everything between.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by szjon View Post
    Hat tip to the guy that thought of this thread.
    Greenies to you....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information