Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile

Hello everybody here in this beautiful and helpful forum!

I'm new to sound and video systems. My bro is a DJ but he lives in a different country, and I'll been far from technical stuff for a while.

I read couple of threads and most of them were too technical to leave a post until I found I can do it here.

I have 4 speakers at my home right now and they are with me for the last 5 years I inherited them from my former roommate.

2 of them are Sanyo SX820 and the other 2 areJVC SK S44.

I believe the sub-woofers are working but some of the tweeters are blown off. I just got a multimeter to measure which speakers need to be replaced.

My question is

Which of these 2 sets is better? (I read the Sanyo were sold back in 1979) For some reason they make a better sound to me.

My receiver is also old - KENWOOD 105VR

My goals is to put those 4 speakers to work with a decent sound because I don't have much money to buy new speakers and receiver.

Thanks in advance!

p.s.
    You can move my question if you think is not for this section of the forums.

Question

Nobody is willing to answer or I have to earn higher reputation here...?

Quote Originally Posted by sound_seeker View Post
    I don't think that anyone has experience with the model speakers you are asking about. In any case, the best speakers are the ones that sound best to you. There are too many different oppinions about types of speakers to say that one type is really any better than the rest.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

The speakers you are asking about are pretty much unknown here. First, they do not have sub woofers. They have woofers. A sub woofer is almost always in a separate box with it's own amplifier.
    If the tweeters are blown your only option is replacing them. Please understand, 99% of the time when you blow tweeters it's because you don't have enough power. On the rare occasions when a woofer is blown it's because of too much power.

Your current speakers may not be worth repairung.

Where are you located? If you have access to Craig's List that may be your best resource for replacement speakers. With CL you need to have some knowledge of what you're looking for.

You can buy a pair of small bookshelf speakers and a powered sub woofer from Parts Express for around $200 that will shame your current speakers even if they were functioning properly.

BTW:That's my recommendation.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular

Well, sound_seek......

I suggest you attend some ACOUSTIC concerts/recitals. You will remember REAL sound far longer that how one speaker sounds w/r/t another. Use that music to evaluate speakers.

And remember that headphones can cost a lot less than loudspeakers, but they aren't so great for blow-out parties.....

You may conclude that your speakers are dog-doo.... or maybe not.

Then determine your budget for repairs, or new speakers.

Then maybe we can help (confuse you...).

Red face

Thanks a lot guys!
    I am checking now Parts Express.

I just wanted to test my multimeter and it showed:
    tweeters - 0Ω impedance (it says that tweeters are 12.5Ω)
    mid-range - 6.5Ω (they are 8Ω)
    woofer - 6.5Ω (it says on the back 8Ω)

Why tweeters are 12.5 when the other 2 speakers are 8Ω?

So I assume the tweeters are blown off.

Please understand, 99% of the time when you blow tweeters it's because you don't have enough power.
    I don't understand this. How come...?

Thanks in advance!

p.s.
    I've been classical musician for more than 15 years, so plenty of ACOUSTIC concerts.
    I just want to repair the speakers or buy new for my B-day party.
    Last edited by sound_seeker; 12-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Hi,
    I'm also new to the forum, and I am looking for advice. My old stereo broke, and I am about to buy a new one, and I am looking for quality. But what is quality? I will for sure have many questions.

all the best and season's greetings
    Erik
    Stockholm, Sweden

Forum Regular
    SS amps can put out high freq hash when they clip (run out of power) & this will fry the tweeter (all HF signal goes to tweeter). Tube amps do not share this trait. They go soft.

You are measuring DC resistance of woofers. The listed 8 ohms includes inductance seen by the audio signal.

Look inside the box to check for damping material- fibre glass or foam. Really inexpensive speakers often have no damping material, which is needed. More can be better.

Forum Regular
    Good luck, Erik!

Go to enough acoustic (no amplified instruments) concerts/recitals (recitals are more intimate) and get the sound of the instruments in your ears.Then find the system(s) that can reproduce what you heard at those concerts/recitals. This will be far easier than comparing speakers, etc.

This approach will save you a lot of money in the end.

A high price only garantees you that you will spend more money. A low price may ultimately dissapoint you.

Beware the snob appeals.

Safe bets to get you started:
    Magnepan MMG, 1.7, 3.7 Magnepan.com
    Mackie HR824Mk2 Mackie.com
    Jolida Jolida.com
    Musical Fidelity
    Velodyne
    Samsung BluRay
    OPPO 95, see OPPO Digital (com)

Quote Originally Posted by Mash View Post

Safe bets to get you started:
    Magnepan MMG,
    Jolida
    Musical Fidelity
    Velodyne
    Samsung BluRay
    Hmmm..... A fine starter system I'd say. One that many would not need to upgrade from.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thanks a lot guys!
    I am checking now Parts Express.

I just wanted to test my multimeter and it showed:
    tweeters - 0Ω impedance (it says that tweeters are 12.5Ω)
    mid-range - 6.5Ω (they are 8Ω)
    woofer - 6.5Ω (it says on the back 8Ω)

Why tweeters are 12.5 when the other 2 speakers are 8Ω?

So I assume the tweeters are blown off.

I don't understand this. How come...?

Thanks in advance!

p.s.
    I've been classical musician for more than 15 years, so plenty of ACOUSTIC concerts.
    I just want to repair the speakers or buy new for my B-day party.
    Tweeters blow because an amplifier is asked to deliver more power than it can. This causes a condition called clipping. The extreme high frequency content of a clipped signal overloads tweeters and burns out the voice coils.

When you have too much power the woofers will usually start bottoming out. This is easy to hear. It's so easy to hear that anyone who isn't drunk or unconscious will hear it and lower the volume.

Having too much power is a good thing.
    Wattage/power ratings on speakers are essentially worthless.

The Ohm rating on a given speaker system is not directly related to the Ohm ratings on individual speakers in the box. If the tweeters give a ~12 Ohm reading the chances are they are not blown. A blown tweeter usually means either an open (infinite Ohms) reading or a short (zero Ohms).

Speakers, like just about almost anything can be repaired. The question is are they worth the time and money involved. Only you can answer that.

Check the two links below. One is for a pair of halfway decent small bookshelf's. The other is for a sub woofer. The whole setup is less than $200 including shipping.

IMO they are an improvement over what you're thinking of repairing.

Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair 300-652

Dayton Audio SUB-80 8" 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer 300-631
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thanks to all the insight gathered from this site over the last few months I now have the ability to overwhelm my conscious with a potent dub step journey, ignite raw emotion with juxtaposition of kurt’s cold cries and Nirvana’s warm unplugged harmonies or delight in human ability as Bonobo pulls so pleasing a jazz melody from a cacophonic arrangement of notes... I now have an endless supply of crushes as I become smitten with another female indie singer/songwriter’s vulnerable delicate and intricate offering or when the mood strikes I connect with the father I deeply miss through Dylan wisdom. What a gift thank you for beginning my stereo schooling!

Ignorance from inexperience combined with recent excitement of losing my mid-fi virginity finds me only confidant sharing my new found pleasure. So many questions and uncertainties arose while setting up my system that I am certain the wisdom of willing readers will redefine my notion of perfect. From my NAD 512 cd player I have the left output going to one NAD 712 receiver and the right output going to another NAD 712 receiver. One receiver powers a set of Tannoy Mercury M2 about a foot apart and the other receiver powers a set of Energy xl-25s about 8 ft over and 3 ft apart. Listener is faced with Tonnoys 45 degrees to the left and Energys 45 degrees to the right. Both receiver’s are set to mono. I have one receiver tape output going to a powered downward facing Jammo sub the other receiver’s tape output going to an Energy xl S8 powered sub (I only turn subs on for the occasional time bass heavy dub step is playing). On each receiver the second set of speaker terminals has a single wire connecting 1 positive terminal to the positive terminal of a Mission bookshelf speaker located behind listener. Mission speakers face opposing walls and have their negative terminals connected together. (somewhat according to NAD 712 manual’s advice for ambient additional speakers). I know my equipment is an eclectic array of inherited and craigslist derived deals and I completely ignored less is more philosophy but I am thrilled with the sound. Please enjoy a chuckle at the expense of my chaotic inexperience and if you have the time suggest improvements. My return to school limits funding for further purchases so set-up advice helps me currently more so.

Forum Regular
    I think this thread is a good idea...mainly because I am a new member and I have a legitimate question to ask regarding an issue I am having with my Yamaha RX-V2600 which has been ongoing for a few weeks! I've contacted Yamaha directly and they are absolutely useless lol.

I forgot to mention I also have a set of keff q30's and cerwin vega v series (8” woofer + tweat) speakers that I could use instead. If worthwhile I could also switch one of my NAD 712 receivers for a Cyrus straightline integrated amp. I care far less for surround sound than stereo but also use the system for movies. I have Harmon Kardon receiver that could return if movie/t.v. has negative impact on stereo system. I realize a few high quality pieces are more worthwhile than so many mid-range pieces but besides cyrus and cerwin vega inherited component I spent under 500$ for all other items i mentioned so even a single higher quality piece was out of range.

I understand spam reduction benefit of 5 posts requirement to start thread but I am not yet qualified to offer any advice. this thread is great thank you

this is last post required to move my lengthy question to its own thread

Forum Regular
    Where's the best place to find info on somewhat vintage bookshelf speakers. I have a pair of NEC bookshelf speakers, 6.5 width 10 height and 5.5 deep that have a screw in fuse in the back. No model numbers on them, purchased in 1993 from a Goodwill store for $5 each. Sound real nice but can find no info anywhere on them.

Forum Regular
    Ok post # 6

Forum Regular

Getting to 10

Will be rooting for the Bengals this weekend

Forum Regular
    You know what I think?....that's what I thought.

TheShawn;
    The best place I know of for information on vintage gear and speakers is www.audiokarma.org

WTF is that?

Forum Regular
    Thanks Joe, I'll check there.

I've been there before but not posted anything on the site.

Forum Regular
    10? uh oh

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information