Forum Regular

beginner's power cable questions

I'll preface this thread with 2 items: I don't know much of anything about electricity and I don't have any opinions about power cables at this stage in the game. Now, on to the question. . .

In layman's terms, how is adding a better power cord supposed to improve the sound of your system?

I've heard reasoning referring to both the 'quality' of the power coming in as well as the 'amount,' but like I said, I don't really understand the whole thing all that well. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ebes67
    In layman's terms, how is adding a better power cord supposed to improve the sound of your system?
    The short answer is to trap RF energy from affecting the signal chain. Digital components like CD players generate RF that can be transmitted and amplified downstream to other components.

There will be others responding who will point out that there is no scientifically conclusive proof to support the notion that such is audible. And they would be correct. My experience with several systems, on the other hand, suggests that it can be. The differences are subtle and are not what I would recommend as an initial path to system improvement. I use aftermarket cords on only one of my three systems.

The only real way would be to try it yourself. Virtually all cable peddlers offer money-back trial periods for you to determine whether or not you find a cost justified improvement.

rw

There is no simple answer to those questions.

This recent thread, which continues on the Audio Lab forum due to restraints on open discussion here, goes into some pretty heavy detail. You might want to read it and see for yourself what you choose to believe. It pretty much covers all the pros and cons that might pop up.

Replacing power A/C cables on power amps

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    The short answer is to trap RF energy from affecting the signal chain. Digital components like CD players generate RF that can be transmitted and amplified downstream to other components.

rw
    Well, that would be fine if you knew rf was causing you a problem. There is merit in application specific fixes for known problems.

As a tweak, I doubt it is an improvement in anything, except how light your wallet is getting.

-Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Well, that would be fine if you knew rf was causing you a problem.
    That's the beauty of no obligation in-system trials - you effectively diagnose the need for and test the efficacy of a solution in a single step.

Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    There is merit in application specific fixes for known problems.
    We agree again. I find merit in my main system using an application specific cord/filter network.

rw

... - you effectively diagnose the need for and test the efficacy of a solution in a single step.
    No you don't. You read about a new product, buy it, stick it in your system, and decide everything sounds better.

You can call it diagnosing and testing and improving efficiency all you want. That's what I do at work and I can guarantee you that's not what audiophiles are doing at home.

My own opinion is that about 1% of audio equipment changes come from a problem and the other 99% come from a suggestion.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Mike
    No you don't. You read about a new product, buy it, stick it in your system, and decide everything sounds better.
    Gotta question for you. How many audiophiles do you know?

rw

Gotta question for you. How many audiophiles do you know?

rw
    In person, three. On-line, a lot.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Forum Regular
    It doesn't. It is a gimmick. I have yet to see anyone prove otherwise.

Forum Regular

Glad to see the debate is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckman
    It doesn't. It is a gimmick. I have yet to see anyone prove otherwise.
    I tend to agree with E-Stat. I think it is very system dependent and some do sound different and others do not. I am talking about all cables here. I have expiramented with lots of them and had mixed results. I do know alot of people with "Hi End" systems and all believe in cables. I understand it is a belief but we all have heard differences.

Which begs the next question...

Quote Originally Posted by 996turbo
    I do know alot of people with "Hi End" systems and all believe in cables.
    What, exactly, constitutes a "Hi End" System?

Forum Regular

Hi End

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    What, exactly, constitutes a "Hi End" System?
    I understand that this is in constant debate as to what is hi end. I would consider a BMW a Hi End Car and a Ford festiva low end. There are some expensive Fords such as Jaguar. There are no absolutes in audio as well as cars. I think Hi end is where they put audio playback as a primary concern and not unit sales. Or perhaps it is function and form as primary goals. When you get into an M3 the abilities of the car are of paramount importance. The Festiva is merely a people mover. When you go into one of the chain stores and but a $300 receiver you are buying utility. When you buy a 250 Watt class A amp you are buying way more (Hopefully) in performance than the Receiver.

But, when used as a qualifier as in this thread, it becomes more of an issue.

For instance, how would one know if their gear was worthy of cable upgrades? If ittakes gear of a ceartian "level" in order to be able to access any supposed changes, it is good to know if one should waste their money or not.

After all, it's not fair that one goes and purchases exotic cables expecting a miraclous improvement and, when that does not happen, be told simply that their gear cannot resolve these differences and to realize these differences, one must upgrade.

So, what defines these classes of audio gear? This seems the first step before anyone can even suggest that more exotic cables can make a difference, no?

Forum Regular

Valid Point

For instance, how would one know if their gear was worthy of cable upgrades? If ittakes gear of a ceartian "level" in order to be able to access any supposed changes, it is good to know if one should waste their money or not.

After all, it's not fair that one goes and purchases exotic cables expecting a miraclous improvement and, when that does not happen, be told simply that their gear cannot resolve these differences and to realize these differences, one must upgrade.

So, what defines these classes of audio gear? This seems the first step before anyone can even suggest that more exotic cables can make a difference, no?
    The more resolving the system the more of a difference you will hear. I think you also need a good room with a properly placed system.

I would not suggest to an individual who own 1K worth of gear to spend a fortune on cables.

So maybe the place to start would be a well thought out properly set up system.

Forum Regular
    MarkW sums up a few of my thoughts pretty well. I've got some older Adcom separates hooked to AR.com DIY speakers, Adcom interconnects, Home Depot 12 gauge speaker cable, and stock power cords. Is this the type of system that different cables (power or otherwise) could help? Along those lines, what about a power conditioner? Is that any better than a regular surge protector in this case?

I've always looked at my stereo equipment from the 'weakest link' perspective, meaning that if (for example) my cheap CD player is limited in its performance, then it would do no good to upgrade something smaller like cables. I think I have a pretty good match right now in terms of equipment quality, but I'm always looking for opinions and the next logical upgrade to 'strengthen the chain' (to continue that analogy).

This seems the first step before anyone can even suggest that more exotic cables can make a difference, no?
    No, it doesn't. The poster's question was "how does a power cord improve performance?" That is not a relative question.

I agree with your statement when the question asks for a system-specific opinion.

rw

... but I'm always looking for opinions and the next logical upgrade to 'strengthen the chain' (to continue that analogy).
    I was taught over thirty years ago that the heart of a musical reproduction system is the speakers. While I believe that virtually every component in the chain can have an audible effect, speakers have the greatest single one, IMHO.

I would persue listening to different speakers first. High performance cables of all sorts are the icing on an already nice cake.

The benefit of line conditioners is very system specific. If you have the ability to audition one with a money-back return policy, then you may want to experiment. Typically, the differences are subtle. I find the audible benefit to be with reducing high frequency "hash". I find a number of systems to sound bright even when the music doesn't call for it. The best systems in my experience all sound a bit "dark" at first blush. That perception quickly goes away when the musical source involves real high frequency content that is rendered more clearly.

rw

I'll preface this thread with 2 items: I don't know much of anything about electricity and I don't have any opinions about power cables at this stage in the game. Now, on to the question. . .

I've heard reasoning referring to both the 'quality' of the power coming in as well as the 'amount,' but like I said, I don't really understand the whole thing all that well. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    It won't...If it did, don't you think the manufacturers of pre's, amps, etc. woulf be in the cable game?

Thread Information