Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

First experience with power conditioning

I have been thinking about power conditioning for awhile and with most everything we receive various info, so yesterday I went in to my dealers shop to replace a defective toslink cable and they sent home with me a Transparent power cord ($199.) and Power Bank 6 ($599.) to play with. I had recently unplugged the toslink when I switched out my processor and when hooking it back up it would not keep a lock on the signal. I was surprised that one could go bad or be damaged so easily.

First off let me say I do not believe that power of suggestion crap. At least it isn't true for me, I do not want to spend more money on anything than I have to. I try to be open minded and objective. Before, trying these products I didn't think the power cord would make any difference. I expected the P6 to have some effect because everyone raves about power conditioning and the improvement it can make.

Here's what I found. I started with the cord because it was less hassle to unplug one at a time oppose to several components. I put the power cord on my cd player first. I dropped in Nora Jones. I listened to it with my stock cord first and then switched to the Transparent. I was surprised to hear it made a nice improvement. I thought my cd player, a Krell 280cd, sounded good before but with the upgraded power cord the presentation was more natural sounding and added a warmth to the recording. In comparison Nora's voice glared on the stock cord. Piano and cymbals smoothed out with the upgrade. The recording seemed to be more lively and much more enjoyable. I wouldn't say there was more detail, I just think the background was quieter so the detail was more evident. I tried the cord on my amp but then had to put the stock cord back on the cdp. The difference with the amp was more subtle. I want to get another cord so I can listen with one on the cdp while I compare cords on the amp. I haven't had time yet but I plan to also listen for improvements on my phono preamp with an upgraded cord. I spent a lot of time going back and forth with these cords on my cdp because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. A power cord, can, make a difference. Maybe by the time I got to putting the cord on my amp I was fatigued or maybe the impact is more noticeable on smaller signals.

Now to the P6. This is a power strip with 6 outlets and is supposed to clean the power signal as well as provide surge protection. I plugged my amp and cdp into it. I was thinking maybe this will do what the power cord done and I only have to buy this unit and can plug 6 components into it. Well, think again. The change I thought I heard was subtle and to me seemed to degrade the sound slightly. The P6 can handle 15 amps so I don't know what to attribute my results to. It seemed to take some of the punch out of the bass, the sound stage got further away and I had to listen harder for subtle details. This is the opposite of what I was supposed to hear, right?

My conclusion, the power cord is on my cd player and will remain there. The P6 is going back to the store. And I plan to see if the power cord upgrade helps any of my other components. I'm really looking forward to putting it on my AcousTech phono stage to see what happens.

Forum Regular
    First off let me say I do not believe that power of suggestion crap. At least it isn't true for me,

That is probably your biggest mistake to think you are immune from it. No one is. You don't know when the influence is switched on, or off. You have no control. It doesn't send you an email about its condition.

I thought my cd player, a Krell 280cd, sounded good before but with the upgraded power cord the presentation was more natural sounding and added a warmth to the recording.

I am curious why you bought the Krell CD player? It must not be well designed if you think its stock power cord needs upgrading. If Krell cannot design the right power cord, they certainly cannot design a complex CD player. Junk it and buy from a company that knows how to design the whole component properly.

I spent a lot of time going back and forth with these cords on my cdp because I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

How were you convinced that you were not affected by expectation biase, or any other bias? I am not convinced at all that you were not affected. Why would anyone else be convinced?

A power cord, can, make a difference.

The whole of the real audio industry would like to be convinced of this.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    "The whole of the real audio industry would like to be convinced of this."

What are you saying mtrycraft if you do not believe then you are part of the real world of audio. Well then I have slipped from the real audio industry. I do you to believe that people where i"The whole of the real audio industry would like to be convinced of this."

What are you saying mtrycraft if you do not believe then you are part of the real audio industry. For those that here differences then they are not part of real audio. Please explain real audio industry? Although I have no part of the audio industry music is still real to me.

I never believed that wire could make a difference especially power cords even though others have said they have. So one day I thought I would try some power cords to see if I could hear any differences. My experience was that it was more dramatic on my integrated amplifier than my CD player in fact very little if any difference on the CD player. On the integrated amplifier the background was quieter which allowed for more detail to be heard. Although I did not expect to hear any difference I distinctly heard them. When I told my friend he had some choice words for me and drove over to prove me wrong. He could not see which of three cables I was hooking up to the integrated amplifier but he was able to quickly identify differences. Not being an Electronics Engineering and only have a grade 9 electricity course this did not make sense to me. Nobody has offered any explanation why we heard these differences but they where there.

I tried using an MGE on-line uninterruptible power supply and felt that there was a loss of dynamics. This product was not sold for or made any reference to audio use. Why there are differences I cannot say just that there can be. It is only by trying will we ever know if something makes a difference.

Forum Regular
    If a power cord makes an audible difference, it doesn't say much for the power supply or for the manufacturer for that matter. I'd junk all that equipment and buy something better. If Krell or some other high end manufacturer can't even get a power cord right, why would anyone assume they can get anything else right either? Why not try a nice JVC. I've always liked their cd players. BTW, what kind of audiophile are you anyway listening to cds? Don't you know it's a rule of audiophiledom that you MUST listen to vinyl and only to vinyl? What to use for electrical connections? Ever hear of 500 MCM? 750 MCM? 1000 MCM? Ever hear of busbar?

Forum Regular

Ever hear of busbar?

"Ever hear of busbar?"

Isn't that where the buses go for a beer after a hard days work!

“Ever hear of 500 MCM?”

Magnetically coded music, no it must mean most cool music

"BTW, what kind of audiophile are you anyway listening to cds? Don't you know it's a rule of audiophiledom that you MUST listen to vinyl and only to vinyl?"

I still have a tape deck with tapes for playing music. Tried playing vinyl in my truck but for some reason they have a tendency to skip, still cannot figure it out. Maybe it needs a better suspension. Even those CD’s do not like it when I hit some big potholes the laser can little pit marks on the worst of them. Oh well so I am not an audiophile whats in a name anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I went in to my dealers shop to replace a defective toslink cable and they sent home with me a Transparent power cord ($199.) and Power Bank 6 ($599.) to play with.
    Hmmm I reckon they know you there...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 46minaudio
    Hmmm I reckon they know you there...
    Hmmm. We don't hear much from you here. Nonetheless, your condescending attitude and pathetic attempt at humor,will set you in good stead with the in-crowd (for you Mark, read "wolfpack") on this board.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pctower
    Hmmm. We don't hear much from you here. Nonetheless, your condescending attitude and pathetic attempt at humor,will set you in good stead with the in-crowd (for you Mark, read "wolfpack") on this board.
    Conescending attitude? I suppose that one could infer several things from his statement. Condescending attitude is only one possibility. You were poinitng out to me what you 'actually' said when i inferred something from one of your posts earlier today.... lol. Double standards?

-Chris

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WmAx
    Conescending attitude? I suppose that one could infer several things from his statement. Condescending attitude is only one possibility. You were poinitng out to me what you 'actually' said when i inferred something from one of your posts earlier today.... lol. Double standards?

-Chris
    If one is into sophistry, one could infer several different things with a great deal of contortions and double-speak. Stick around - you'll learn a lot about that here. I have said many times that the sophistry displayed here is enough to make us lawyers seem like models of straight-talk.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by happy ears
    "The whole of the real audio industry would like to be convinced of this."

What are you saying mtrycraft if you do not believe then you are part of the real world of audio..
    No, not at all. Belief has nothing to do with it. Knowing, demonstrating and repeatability has everything to do with it.
    mtrycrafts

And yet another personal attack from the great and wonderful pctower of babble.

I'd say you're an expert at condescending attitudes. Few here are more condescending than you, Problem is most have more to offer than you do on the matter at hand. Too bad you have nothing real to offer and have to stoop to personal attacks.

I guess anyone who doesn't agree with whatever you say you agree with (or don't agree with. I really wish you would make up your mind what you DO believe in and stick with it for a change) is a member of the "wolfpack".

Good luck 46ma. Trying to argue with the pctower of babble is like arm wrestling with a limp wristed opponent. He says he doesn't believe in anything and just jumps out of the woodwork to scare off those who want to join in here with rude, condescending remarks, like here.

As far as I can see, pctower is simply engaging in more mental masturbation, and, like the other kind, is best practiced in private. Problem is he's proud of this and likes to do it in public.

No reply necessary, consuler. I'll not bother to reply except to fling open the door occasionally so everyone can see you smiling with the drool hanging out of your mouth.

Forum Regular
    All that matters is what your ears tell you, nothing else!!! So keep the power chord, and have fun! Ain't high-end audio grand?
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Suspended

Further experimentation

I listened to a track off a Carly Simon album then switched the stock power with the Transparent and listened again. I done the same thing with a Scott Hamilton album. The improvement in sound again was quite evident. The sound with the upgraded power cord was again more natural but the background was much quieter allowing me to hear more detail from the recording.

I again compared stock and Transparent on my amp. The difference here was still more subtle than with the cd or turntable but I could definitely hear improved detail in the bass. I used the first track on Paula Cole for this listening test.

In my first post I stated I didn't believe the power cord would make a difference, the results turned out the opposite of my feeling at the time. This isn't religion, if you don't believe try it your self or shut up. I guess the fact that I can buy better tires for my car means I should junk it and buy a Kia. It's interesting that those who post the most on hear show the most stupidity. Maybe they should spend more time between the speakers and less time pretending they know anything about audio.

It's interesting that those who post the most on hear show the most stupidity. Maybe they should spend more time between the speakers and less time pretending they know anything about audio.
    Hey, if you want to enjoy your new toy, have fun.

But, consider this... Some of those who disagree with you might hear things differently. Did you ever consider that? Do you consider that stupid?

This is an open forum. Differeing views abound, unlike other forums. If you want your opinion to be valued, you should at least have the decency to allow others the privelege of voicing theirs as well without calling names. There's enough of this here already.

If you care to question those who disagree with you, feel free but at least try to be polite about it.

Personally, I find your "I don't believe in that power of suggestion crap" pretty funny but it does set the tone for the rest of the post. I'll allow you to believe whatever you wish. Hey, it's your little red wagon. Enjoy.
    Last edited by markw; 03-15-2004 at 08:00 PM.

Suspended
    If one is into sophistry, one could infer several different things with a great deal of contortions and double-speak. Stick around - you'll learn a lot about that here. I have said many times that the sophistry displayed here is enough to make us lawyers seem like models of straight-talk.
    Do you see yourself as one that is into sophistry? Personally, I think you should apolagize to the person you accused of being condenscending, in light of the several different meanings that could be drawn from his very generalized statement. Re-instate your accusations if he confirms that your interpretation was, in fact, correct.

-Chris

Suspended

Markw

Were you reading the same posts here that I did? Where did you see an opposing view? Some people who had the same experience agreed with me that cords can make a difference. Those like mrtycraft and skeptic have nothing of value or intelligence to offer. I welcome opposing views or those who have had different experiences. That's what the forum is for and how we learn. I would be quite errogant if I thought everyone should agree with me with trying only one brand and only a couple of products. On the other hand I get tired of trying to have a discussion here and becoming a target for wise asses who by their posts you can tell don't know audio or have experience with the type of equipment discussed. They are like flies, pesty and live to stir up crap. Did anyone suggest an alternative way to test or listen? Did anyone suggest another brand that may work better? Did anyone say I tried that and those suck? I think the operative word here is CONSTRUCTIVE opposition or criticism. Not playground snide remarks.

Forum Regular
    In my first post I stated I didn't believe the power cord would make a difference, the results turned out the opposite of my feeling at the time.

So, since you didn't believe in it beforehand does that give you immunity from being biased? Hardly. That is why bias controls must be used if you want to know for sure. As is, no one knows, it is unreliable.

This isn't religion,

You sure fooled me.

if you don't believe try it your self or shut up.

Why do I have to believe? Isn't that what one does with religion, believe? Why must one shut up?

I guess the fact that I can buy better tires for my car means I should junk it and buy a Kia.

Not at all. No one said that.

It's interesting that those who post the most on hear show the most stupidity.

Is that not allowed? Not everyone is gifted, or has supernatural connections.

Maybe they should spend more time between the speakers and less time pretending they know anything about audio.

Why do I want to spend time between the speakers?
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    "No, not at all. Belief has nothing to do with it. Knowing, demonstrating and repeatability has everything to do with it."

Lets start with knowing at first I did not know and did not believe. I mean really how can 3 to 6 feet of shielded cord affect your stereo components. Not being an Electronics Engineer I still knew that this could not affect my stereo as all the cable in the wall through the circuit breaker box back to the pole and step down transformer substation do not use shielded wire. It is not possible that using 6 feet of wire can make my stereo sound better, worse maybe but not better. However just to prove my beliefs to myself I had to try it, so when I was at my local stereo store I borrowed some to find out for myself. Installing that fat power cord on my integrated amplifier did make a difference quieter background, which allowed more fine detail to be heard. So after several hours of changing cords and listening to different music there was no doubt in my ears that there was a difference. So I also installed one my CD player and could not hear any differences from the power cord that was on it. Power cord on CD player was a random twisted design with three or maybe four individual wires for hot ground and neutral. I thought I knew before but was forced to change my thinking, oops first error of many.

Second demonstrating the results would require help from others. When I told my friend he had some choice words for me and said he was on his way over to prove me wrong. We used a simple test in which I would change the power cords and replay the same song, he did not know or could not see what power cord was I was hooking up. All he knew was that I stated that there were differences in the three power cords that we would be comparing. He asked was the most expensive the best to which I said that all three power cords had different affect on the sound of my integrated amplifier. The original cord was unshielded 16 gauge, the second cord was 14 gauge with foil shielding while the third cord was 12 gauge with mesh shielding and a drain wire. He was astonished to hear these differences and stated the first cord was by far the best with the blackest background which allowed the finer details to be heard,, the second cord seamed to have more background noise with a slight loss in fine detail. The third cord had the least amount of fine detail and that the background appeared to be noisy when compared to the first power cord. Although he stated he could not hear noise per say this is the impression he got listening to the different power cords, this cannot be true. Now he heard similar things that I did and we discussed the differences in sound. To him it was demonstrated and the test was repeatable this would meet the second and third requirements of your statements. He then wanted to know which cable were which and the costs of each cable. I would let him know which cable were which and the cost of each after we did a similar test on the CD player. I asked he could hear any differences between the CD player power cord and the second power cord. After a pause he stated he could not hear any difference between the two cords and did I switch cables. Now I had him really confused the best sounding cable on the integrated amplifier, which was the most expensive, had no affect on the sound quality of the CD player. Odd we both heard similar differences on the integrated amplifier but could not hear these changes on the CD player, he just knew that I told him that there where differences.

Once we got on the topic of price he quickly stated that the improvement were not worth the price. He was only willing to pay about half of what the store was asking. It would be wiser to invest your money elsewhere in your stereo or room but there were differences.

Now must people have no desire or reason to listen for differences in stereos or power cords, as it does not interest them. Could ask my brother but he would just tell me that many years ago he learned that I would or could hear stuff that he couldn’t. I always tell him that is an incorrect statement I just listen more and do not only use it for background music. Once I was over at one of his friends place and everyone was giving that person a hard time about how terrible his stereo and speakers were. When they asked me what I thought and after listening for about 5 minutes I stated that I am not sure but it sounds like one of your 8” woofers are out of phase. There is much better and accurate bass from the left speaker than the right one. So after careful comparison I asked for a Phillips screwdriver and removed one of the two 8” drivers in the right speaker reversed the wires and reinstalled it. The first thing I heard was someone say WOW what a difference and then my brother say how did you know and tell the difference. Had heard the speakers before and knew that they did sound better than what I was hearing, also comparing the sound from the left speaker to the right in mono distinctly showed the difference to me. At least I put a big smile on the owners face and stopped the bugging he was getting from five other guys, never again did they bug him about his stereo. My ears are not better or as some say golden ears. I new that it should have sounded better, I knew about speaker phase and what to listen for. My brother has little interest in stereo equipment or has a large varied music selection, he does however like fixing and restoring old cars. Want to talk about money, he will never recover the cost he will invest but it is his HOBBY, hobbies usually cost money. My mother has had a garden all her adult life, which my father always thought was for saving money. Yes we did eat well but it was her hobby not the money issue. If it were about money she would have given up thirty years ago. Today in her seventies she still has that green thumb touch and my father still stuffs his face with some of the best tasting fruits and vegetables that I have ever eaten in my life. Just can’t beat that tender loving care and fresh out of the garden taste. Although the seeds my be cheap there is more than just planting and watering your produce it is a labor of love for her. My mother does not tell me I am a fool for my stereo but she will joke if I am starting a radio station, no mom need more music and better equipment. She laughs and states most people would not hear the difference and they tend to listen to the same music all the time. Still has her sense of humor.

I will admit that our test was not scientific in any way, however I can at least say that I have tested it and can state it may or may not make a difference. Besides telling me there is no proof what have you tested? Even if you do not hear any differences I will not insult you or down trodden your beliefs. If your are unwilling to spend the money this is also acceptable as there is a difference between stating there is no difference versus I am unwilling to pay for these small differences. My friend has no problem stating what he is willing to pay for cables and wires.

It is apparent that opposing sides at this site do not discuss but insult those that disagree with them. Naming calling is becoming the norm by certain individuals, this is not directed at you mtrycraft. However you tend to say the same things over and the one question I have for you when replying to someone else’s post each statement has its own post. Just wondering why? I do find it odd that EE tell me that there are no differences because they have the proof but seldom or ever talk about what they have heard. At other sites such as diyaudio name calling seldom occurs and is not tolerated. The range of expertise varies from just staring their first do it yourself project to highly qualified Engineers and those that work and sell within the industry. They do not always agree but for the most part they are civil.

Have a great day and enjoy the music

Forum Regular

Sorry Mr Peabody

Cannot help you there I bought them out of the store demo used pile. They did not have any name on the cables might have been locally made. Just big 12 gauge wire with thick jacket for each individual wire with metal mesh shield and drain wire. Think wire might be Aluminum wire or maybe silver plated copper could not tell you for sure. Very stiff though.

Understand what I mean by blacker background allowing finer detail to be noted. Forgot to mention bass notes where stronger and more solid. Imaging and soundstage were more distinct when using on my A300 intgrated amplifier. Very little or no differences were noted when using on the CD player, the Cd player was not your basic power cord. Use an Ah Cd player, yep basically a modded Marantz CD4000 with the upsampler. Shouldn't make this information public as amny people run down the Ah CD player because it is a modified Marantz. it is better than a Marantz CD5000 player.

Forum Regular
    Things are not always as expected, as "power condition" actually can be power pollution...

http://hem.bredband.net/b113928/Surgefilter.htm

T

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    I'd say you're an expert at condescending attitudes. Few here are more condescending than you, Problem is most have more to offer than you do on the matter at hand. Too bad you have nothing real to offer and have to stoop to personal attacks.

I guess anyone who doesn't agree with whatever you say you agree with (or don't agree with. I really wish you would make up your mind what you DO believe in and stick with it for a change) is a member of the "wolfpack".

Good luck 46ma. Trying to argue with the pctower of babble is like arm wrestling with a limp wristed opponent. He says he doesn't believe in anything and just jumps out of the woodwork to scare off those who want to join in here with rude, condescending remarks, like here.

As far as I can see, pctower is simply engaging in more mental masturbation, and, like the other kind, is best practiced in private. Problem is he's proud of this and likes to do it in public.

No reply necessary, consuler. I'll not bother to reply except to fling open the door occasionally so everyone can see you smiling with the drool hanging out of your mouth.
    Of course I'm condescending to many. My targets are well deserving of that attitude. I've never claimed I wasn't condescending.

I've made up my mind on any number of issues, which I spelled out in painful detail for you a couple of days ago. I have articulated the "maysayer" position far better than any other person on this board - a position that most here in one way or another profess to be their own position. Please state one matter that is generally discussed here that you have made up your mind on that you contend is a matter I have not made up my mind on and then we'll see how correct your assertion about my not making up my mind is.

You claim I don't believe in anything. Either you have no reading comprehension or suffer from sever short term memory loss. Go back and read that post where I set out many of my beliefs, and then explain to me how I don't believe in anything. You may not agree with eveything or anything I said, but please provide justification for your accusation that I don't believe in anything.

Public mental masturbation? If that wasn't allowed here, this board would go entirely dark. That's the only thing that goes on here.

"Counselor" - oh gee, another one of your hackneyed, trite, cowardly acts of putdown. I say "cowardly", because you don't have the guts to disclose your own identity and open yourself up to similar putdowns.

In the past several days you have made so many unsubstantiated accusations against me (and then the true coward that you are, ducked all challenges to substantiate those accusations) that you make the claims of the golden-ears you constantly rail against look like models of scholarly precision.

Well ,a lot to do wit hhow you say it as much as what you say.

Were you reading the same posts here that I did? Where did you see an opposing view? Some people who had the same experience agreed with me that cords can make a difference. Those like mrtycraft and skeptic have nothing of value or intelligence to offer. I welcome opposing views or those who have had different experiences. That's what the forum is for and how we learn. I would be quite errogant if I thought everyone should agree with me with trying only one brand and only a couple of products. On the other hand I get tired of trying to have a discussion here and becoming a target for wise asses who by their posts you can tell don't know audio or have experience with the type of equipment discussed. They are like flies, pesty and live to stir up crap. Did anyone suggest an alternative way to test or listen? Did anyone suggest another brand that may work better? Did anyone say I tried that and those suck? I think the operative word here is CONSTRUCTIVE opposition or criticism. Not playground snide remarks.
    This forum, for better or worse, is open to both sides of the debate. There are forums where you can go on forever how much cables changed your life and never meet with an opposing view (it isn't allowed!), but this ain't it.

Let's be honest here. From the tone of your post, you didn't seem to be too willing to want to hear any input that might contradict what you were saying. that power of suggestion line pretty much summed that up. Also, since the power of suggestion is a pretty basic human trait, it is sort of a red flag when one claims immunity to it.

Others have different beliefs. Some have more expierence in this field then others do. Their experiences may be different. Does this make them right ot wrong?

I'm of one religion. Others are of different religions. We disagree often but to call the other stupid is simply wrong and simply widens the chasms between people..

In any case, let's get back to the tone of the posts. You may not see your tone as inflammatory. Others might see it otherwise. Personally, I found it a little smug but decided to bother with it was not worth it.

Believe it or not, you did get some opposing viewpoints. They were put forth in syntax pertty common to the respondents. Some are clipped and to the point. Some might be one liners to make one think. Some are more detailed but not written in the best fashion but still containing worthwhile ideas. In any case. opposing viewpoints were offered. Some based on good, solid reasoning. ... and, yes, some simply jump in to cloud the issue and try to disrupt the flow.

That you took any true opposing views as either mean, misguided or whatever is another issue but I hope that had more to do with the tone as opposed to the content. ...but they did offer counter viewpoints and I doubt harm was intended.

Now, as far as suggested alternative listening methods, that's another story. Before that is gonna happen, an a mutual respect with those that believe differently will have to happen. Once that happens, a meaningful flow of dialog should occur.

IOW, sometimes one must see himself as others see him before being too critical of others. (with apologies to Robert Burns)
    Last edited by markw; 03-16-2004 at 06:18 AM.

No Phil, as usual youu have it wrong and you know it.

Of course I'm condescending to many. My targets are well deserving of that attitude. I've never claimed I wasn't condescending.

I've made up my mind on any number of issues, which I spelled out in painful detail for you a couple of days ago. I have articulated the "maysayer" position far better than any other person on this board - a position that most here in one way or another profess to be their own position. Please state one matter that is generally discussed here that you have made up your mind on that you contend is a matter I have not made up my mind on and then we'll see how correct your assertion about my not making up my mind is.

You claim I don't believe in anything. Either you have no reading comprehension or suffer from sever short term memory loss. Go back and read that post where I set out many of my beliefs, and then explain to me how I don't believe in anything. You may not agree with eveything or anything I said, but please provide justification for your accusation that I don't believe in anything.

Public mental masturbation? If that wasn't allowed here, this board would go entirely dark. That's the only thing that goes on here.

"Counselor" - oh gee, another one of your hackneyed, trite, cowardly acts of putdown. I say "cowardly", because you don't have the guts to disclose your own identity and open yourself up to similar putdowns.

In the past several days you have made so many unsubstantiated accusations against me (and then the true coward that you are, ducked all challenges to substantiate those accusations) that you make the claims of the golden-ears you constantly rail against look like models of scholarly precision.
    I don't "rail" against golden ears. I simply don't always agree with them but at least it seems we can disagree with a modicum of civility.

It's only you I "rail" against. You're a pompus putz and prove it at every opportunity. I just lik laughing and pointing a finger.

Nobody cares what others do for a living. It's the quality of advice and opinions that make or break one's rep here. You're the one that just had to brag about being a lawyer and then proceed to piss in the pool. ... and you're actually proud of it!

sorry, no lawyer joke today. Your posts will have to suffice for now.

(And now we all will be subjected to yet another phil tower and his unsubstantiated charges diatribes. Waddaya gonna do, phil? Huff and puff and blow my house down?)
    Last edited by markw; 03-16-2004 at 06:37 AM.

Suspended

So, does the fact that you stick around mean that you enjoy a good circle jerk? :-P

-Chris

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by happy ears
    I mean really how can 3 to 6 feet of shielded cord affect your stereo components. Not being an Electronics Engineer I still knew that this could not affect my stereo as all the cable in the wall through the circuit breaker box back to the pole and step down transformer substation do not use shielded wire. It is not possible that using 6 feet of wire can make my stereo sound better, worse maybe but not better.
    Hmmm..there are several ways the power cord can affect the system. Some easily demonstrated, others a bit more subtle to find.

Take the worst sounding cord..plug it into your amp.

Take the amplifier, and try rotating it to several different angles, running the gamut from +90 to -90 degrees..the rotation axis is the axis from the front panel to the back one, so that in all positions, the front panel is towards you.

By yourself, with a friend....whatever.

Post here the results...did the amp rotation make a diff?

Cheers, John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information