cmo
    Forum Regular

beginner cable q's

will using a y-splitter for my 2 subwoofers effect there sound quality? and if i use a digital connect for my dvd player for audio do i need another connection for video?or will one work .

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo
    will using a y-splitter for my 2 subwoofers effect there sound quality? and if i use a digital connect for my dvd player for audio do i need another connection for video?or will one work .
    Using the y-split shouldn't make a noticable diff EXCEPT if you have subs that are very sensitive to input voltage. Do you really need two subs or are you familiar with how to properly set them up so they actually sound better than one...? Assuming from the nature of the second question I would guess that you'd probably be better off using the better of your two subs and not both at the same time. To answer the second question, yes you absolutely need a video connection to see a picture. Use the best available connection that your TV has: component (Red/Green/Blue), s-video (four-pin, round plug), or composite (single yellow, likely packaged with red and white audio cables) with preference in that order for best picture.

Hope this helps!

Basically reinforcing the previous post.

will using a y-splitter for my 2 subwoofers effect there sound quality?.
    People do it all the timewith no problems. Your only issue might be with the interactions between the two subs and the room itself. Take time positioning them.

and if i use a digital connect for my dvd player for audio do i need another connection for video?or will one work .
    Yeah. That digital interconnect is only for the audio portion of the DVD player. You'll still need some means to get the picture to the TV. The preferred methods, in decending order, are Component, S-Video, Composite and, last and also least, RF, which is , thankfully, virtually dead by now.

FWIW, there's a BIG improvement between composite and S-Video but less so between S-Video and Component. YMMV.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I use dual subs

While using splitters does not affect the sound quality, it does affect the gain. You will have approx. 3db LESS output per sub for a given volume because your halving the input signal. This effectively cancels out the added boost of having the additional sub. Of course you can turn the volume(s) up on your subs and increase your bass boost that way.

If your subs have phase adjustments you should set them both to the same settings. I would also try to position them as symmetrically as possible.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

cmo
    Forum Regular
    thanks for the help

Thread Information