audible sound difference?

Would there be an audible improvement in sound if I replaced one of my speaker wires (16 gauge) that was cut and joined with a wire nut? It only goes about 20 feet and is used to connect my left front speaker. To replace it would be a bit of a pain but I now have plenty of wire. I thought I'd ask before I went to the trouble.
    Thanks!

Not unless there issome kind of a problem with the join and I'm pretty sure you would have heard the problem by now.

Actually, I doubt you even need the wire nut. Simply twisting the ends together and wrapping electrical tape around them would have been sufficient, and easier to live with in the long run. Oh, and a little solder there would not have hurt either.

Forum Regular
    Mark's answer is 110% on target. There's absolutely, positively no reason whatsoever to bother with replacing that speaker wire to the left front speaker ... none! So, don't let anyone try and tell you differently - those that might simply don't know anything about the subject at all. They are what I dubbed "CONEs" ... Compulsive, Obsessive, Nitpicking Exaggerators. Always looking at the glass as half-empty rather than half-full. Always searching desperately for what's wrong with something - even when nothing is really wrong at all. They are more to be pitied than scorned, IMO.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well at the risk of being a dreaded Cone - and I'd be more insulted being thought of as a castmember in that Dan Akroyd movie than anacronym on these forums - but cables can sound different - any competant designer can make a cable or speaker wire sound different. Better is another matter - deally you don;t want bare wires. Bare wires oxydize and the wires I had took all of 6 months to get really grubby.

But Wire even ones recommended by those rag magazines have plenty of CHEAP wires - so if you must have a recomended in a magazine wire you can still pay little to get it - you could of course spend $8,000.00 a meter.

The latest issue of Hi-Fi News or Hi FI + did a blind test of severl interconnects and they were looking for preferences - it was mildly interesting - and not surprising that the $4000.00 cable did better than the cheapo wire (well not surprising that a review magazine would get those results) but...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

An unbroken connection is always best.

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmm
    Would there be an audible improvement in sound if I replaced one of my speaker wires (16 gauge) that was cut and joined with a wire nut? It only goes about 20 feet and is used to connect my left front speaker. To replace it would be a bit of a pain but I now have plenty of wire. I thought I'd ask before I went to the trouble.
    Thanks!
    If it's not too much of a trouble I would replace the cut wire.

replacing wire

Well, it's a little bit of a pain because it runs through a custom made speaker stand and then through a hole in the wall. I did it to the right speaker because I would have had to have 3 wires joined together because I moved my equipment into another room so you can't see it. Maybe I'll do it if I get bored- that's rare for me though

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

If that's the case I wouldn't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmm
    Well, it's a little bit of a pain because it runs through a custom made speaker stand and then through a hole in the wall. I did it to the right speaker because I would have had to have 3 wires joined together because I moved my equipment into another room so you can't see it. Maybe I'll do it if I get bored- that's rare for me though
    For me though, just the thought that if the wire get's pulled and causes a short would bother me too much. I've got a lot of $$$ tied up in my amps and I like them to stick around.

Solder it!

Entropy guarantees that all joints will fail. They just may not fail in your lifetime.

All jokes aside; a wrapped connection will go bad pretty quick (weeks to months) a wire nut will last longer if no one pulls on it or trips on the cable, a soldered connection will last a great number of years.

Thread Information